Eliminate Formal Night?

Snoofer

I loved Formal Nights on RCI. I enjoy dressing up and just don't have the opportunity to do that very often at home. I understand that some people don't enjoy dressing up on their vacation, but there are other dining options for those people on a cruise.

We're just back from Carnival and they now have "Elegant Night" instead of Formal...very different. I really missed Formal Night.

I did see some people that were turned away from the dining room in September. I don't know if they were going back to their cabin to change or heading off to alternative dining. I've seen people turned away on Princess before as well, mainly for shorts and jeans (before even the nice ones were allowed). It really depends on the maitre d' and his staff.

Should have qualified my post about not seeing anyone turned away, meaning someone who is dressed nicely, i.e. not jeans or shorts but at least neat kahkis and and a polo shirt.

On Celebrity I saw a young lady dressed in jeans, sneakers and a filthy white sweater many nights at dinner, her "best" outfit seemed to be an ill-fitting jogging suit. Why did I notice? Simply because I met her and talked with her on many occassions and who BTW, was a delightful person.:)

Boy talk about a thread that alway's gets peoples panties in a bunch.;) Simple solution, and dont suggest buffet, as this would take the fun out of it. Divide formal dining room in half, formal on one side, country club casual on the other. No ones meal should be spoiled, plus you will have plenty of friends, both sides so you can talk about, point fingers, and laugh at each other. This is I M not so H O :rolleyes:

Why does the suggestion of eating at the buffet cause such an uproar? On Princess at least, many if not most of the same items (including entrees) are available in the buffet at dinner time. Also, on the larger ships, there is a portion of the buffet that is set at nights with tableclothes, silver, glasses, nice lighting, beverage service, etc.

So, if you don't feel like dressing up and eating in the "formal" dining room, what is the problem with eating in the buffet?

After all (and I say this in a tongue-in-cheek way, so no flames), if we are supposed to regard people as being the same whether they are dressed formally or not, then shouldn't we not have a problem with eating the same food, whether it is served formally or not? ;)

Should have qualified my post about not seeing anyone turned away, meaning someone who is dressed nicely, i.e. not jeans or shorts but at least neat kahkis and and a polo shirt.

On Celebrity I saw a young lady dressed in jeans, sneakers and a filthy white sweater many nights at dinner, her "best" outfit seemed to be an ill-fitting jogging suit. Why did I notice? Simply because I met her and talked with her on many occassions and who BTW, was a delightful person.:)

I also saw men in Dockers and polos turned away on formal nights on both Celebrity cruises I've been on. They were a little more leanient in Alaska in that Dockers, shirts, and sport coats were fine on formal nights. I did see sport coats over polo shirts, and they were allowed in. Though at one door, they were supplying ties for some who didn't have them.

I think that the argument that says..."I cant bring formal wear b/c my luggage will be overweight" is a silly argument typically played by those who reallt dont dress up for formal night anyways...formal night outfits dont weigh that much...if you dont want to go nobody is forcing you and no...I dont believe they should do away with the evenings

I will be going on my first cruise in December. Honestly, IMO as a first time cruiser, I don't know why they have formal nights, or at least on so called "Fun Ships". I could see doing it for other types of cruises. I'm going on a cruise to have fun. No make-up, no particular way to comb my hair, wrinkled clothing are just a few things I don't care to be worried with. My travel planner told me there are formal nights. For what!? And not just 1 night but 2. For that, I need to go get my nails and toes done, so on formal night I will be looking tight! LOL I didn't want to have to worry about all that. Just slap on some toe nail polish for flip flopping around the ship and be done. Now I'll have to get a full blown pedicure for my nice, warm weather Caribbean cruise....during winter! Ok, I'm done trippin about it. :rolleyes: Oh well, still looking forward to it anyway. Whether they keep formal nights or take it away, I'll still go on cruises and participate. I've heard there's a way to skip it, but might as well enjoy it all. At least I'll get a chance to wear my Valentine's Day outfit I was hoping to wear before my ex and I broke up.

It's always been the norm since the early days of cruising - some which were elegent dress every night. I guess in a way it makes me feel good to get gussied up and have a nice picture taken, especially with the captain. Many may think formal attire is expensive but if you are a good shopper, you can actually find some really great deals out there! In fact, before Robinson's-May was bought out, I found a great 2-piece velvet dress (long) for $25, retail: $200. Nothing wrong with it either - probably cost me less than buying a pair of jeans and a blouse!

Laurie

this is none of my business since i was not part of this thread. but as a carnival cruisor i have to say i agree with the last post. i think it is called tunnel vision. this is when someone has a bad experience and is still bashing carnival 20 or 30 years later.

pattie

OK. As a first time cruiser (coming up in October), I'm a little taken back by this whole topic (and the battle lines that have been drawn).

Personally, I have pretty tight connection times and multiple connections, and am trying to abide by the whole "pack light and only bring a carry on" philosophy. THAT and it's not really an aspect of the trip I'm looking forward to; we're mostly going to see the sights. Maybe we'll be converted, but we're pretty laid back, so maybe not.

There are (count 'em) THREE formal nights during our cruise. I'm not so worried about my outfits, but bringing a jacket, slacks and extra shoes for hub is probably going to be a stretch with a carry on.

Still VERY undecided on how to approach this.

Never been a problem for me because I don't care what others wear. I am not that self-centered.

It seems that those who have the problem with it are those who dress up and don't like it that others don't. They are the ones who seem to claim that their meal is spoiled.

Is there some reason you keep beating this dead horse so vigorously?

Oh, that's right... You're expressing your opinion...

I have been on the Princess, Carnival and RCCL in the Caribbean and have never seen anyone turned away from the main dining room on formal night. I have noticed that the attendance in the dinning room on formal night is much less than other nights (maybe 1/2?). I have never seen anyone try to enter in shorts but have seen clean fairly new jeans worn on men and women.

I have been in restaurants many years ago on land that would supply ties and/or coats. I just took the tie, put it on, sit down and took it off. I would do it again if they insisted I wear one.

I wear dress pants, button down shirt and sport coat on formal night. For shoes I have a nice pair of leather sandals (it is the Caribbean after all). When I get to the table, I put the coat on the back of the chair (I have seen a lot of this) and eat dinner. If anyone feels that this is not acceptable, then I have an idea for them that entails taking an all expense paid trip down under (and I do not mean Australia!).

The times are changing so bend or break. :D

The times are changing so bend or break. :D

Obviously times are changing. However, just try to take a look into the not so distant future of dress. One can do this by looking a today's youth. Their "dress" concepts will be the norms that you will will either "bend or break" by. I hope you enjoy wearing your pants half-way down your backside and exposing either your underwear or lack of the same, which would leave only body parts.

I for one will not "bend" nor "break." I will pay the extra $10 for luggage on my flight and carry either a tux or suit for the cruise.

We have so many times to dress casually in our own respective dining experiences that given an opportunity to dress up seems like a shame to waste.

I wonder how many of the people who do not want to dress up for a formal night will dress at a wedding or a funeral? Please keep those pants hiked up around your waist!

OK. As a first time cruiser (coming up in October), I'm a little taken back by this whole topic (and the battle lines that have been drawn).

Personally, I have pretty tight connection times and multiple connections, and am trying to abide by the whole "pack light and only bring a carry on" philosophy. THAT and it's not really an aspect of the trip I'm looking forward to; we're mostly going to see the sights. Maybe we'll be converted, but we're pretty laid back, so maybe not.

There are (count 'em) THREE formal nights during our cruise. I'm not so worried about my outfits, but bringing a jacket, slacks and extra shoes for hub is probably going to be a stretch with a carry on.

Still VERY undecided on how to approach this .

He can rent a tux from the Formalities Shop on your ship. No packing anything extra!

Why does the suggestion of eating at the buffet cause such an uproar? On Princess at least, many if not most of the same items (including entrees) are available in the buffet at dinner time. Also, on the larger ships, there is a portion of the buffet that is set at nights with tableclothes, silver, glasses, nice lighting, beverage service, etc.

So, if you don't feel like dressing up and eating in the "formal" dining room, what is the problem with eating in the buffet?

After all (and I say this in a tongue-in-cheek way, so no flames), if we are supposed to regard people as being the same whether they are dressed formally or not, then shouldn't we not have a problem with eating the same food, whether it is served formally or not? ;)

Lots of reasons -

1. We are travelling with a party of 7, not as easy to get a place for all of us to sit together in the Buffet.

2. We are travelling with children, much tougher for the parents to enjoy their meal at the buffet. I am not willing to send my 8 year old up to the buffet line by herself - to dish up her own food (for which all other buffet users should be greatful) - so if she finishes something early, wants more of something else - someone has to stop eating their meal to go up with her.

3. We are travelling with someone who has food allergies - we found it necessary to speak to the head waiter each meal to find out FOR SURE which items could be safely ordered and which could not.

As far as I know - that is not really possible in the buffet area.

Obviously times are changing. However, just try to take a look into the not so distant future of dress. One can do this by looking a today's youth. Their "dress" concepts will be the norms that you will will either "bend or break" by. I hope you enjoy wearing your pants half-way down your backside and exposing either your underwear or lack of the same, which would leave only body parts.

I for one will not "bend" nor "break." I will pay the extra $10 for luggage on my flight and carry either a tux or suit for the cruise.

We have so many times to dress casually in our own respective dining experiences that given an opportunity to dress up seems like a shame to waste.

I wonder how many of the people who do not want to dress up for a formal night will dress at a wedding or a funeral? Please keep those pants hiked up around your waist!

Do you wear the same things now that you did as a teenager?

Styles and fashions change - and todays teenager will also change to follow current trends as they develop. I would guess entering the work force will make a difference as well. Of course, I could be wrong....:D :D

and we are going to be in for some interesting fashions coming up!

Do you wear the same things now that you did as a teenager?

Styles and fashions change - and todays teenager will also change to follow current trends as they develop. I would guess entering the work force will make a difference as well. Of course, I could be wrong....:D :D

and we are going to be in for some interesting fashions coming up!

No, I don't wear the same things now that I did as a teenager but I do dress in the same manner for a formal affair as I did then. Wouldn't be caught dead in some of the gowns I wore.:p There's a difference between form and function.;)

Styles and fashions may change, but what doesn't change is proper dressing for a formal occassion.

Entering the work force does make a difference. Just read an interesting article about how today's youth doesn't have a clue how to dress for work.

I digress, this thread is about eliminating formal night, not how fashions change from generation to generation.:D

How about this solution on formal nights:

1.) Early Dining Seating = resort casual dress

2.) Late Dining Seating = formal dress

NOW, everyone can enjoy the main dining room

everyone can dress how they feel most comfortable

no one has to be relegated to the buffet.

I'd love to see them done away with and go to "smart casual". I'd still wear sundress style dresses, etc. but my husband really doesn't like putting on a suit and tie for dinner most especially when you are in the Caribbean in the middle of the summer and would much prefer to wear slacks and a polo.

Please keep those pants hiked up around your waist!

I had to laugh at this comment . Pants like that are called "mom jeans" and they rank up there on the list of most hideous things on earth, right after crocs & polyester dresses.... do a google and you'll see!

....but my husband really doesn't like putting on a suit and tie for dinner most especially when you are in the Caribbean in the middle of the summer.....

But you're INSIDE in a an air conditioned dining room where many woman wear a wrap because it's so cool, not out on a hot deck for a barbeque.:D :D :D

But you're INSIDE in a an air conditioned dining room where many woman wear a wrap because it's so cool, not out on a hot deck for a barbeque.:D :D :D

But I'm out on my balcony drinking my cocktail before dinner and it's too hot! :)

So true about people just entering the work force. You would think having to wear pants (not jeans) is some kind of sadistic torture. And the girls show up with their "girls" exposed for all the world to see.

I am hardly an old fuddy-duddy (36 years old) but what ever happened to self respect???

Archived