Eliminate Formal Night?

Snoofer

Thanks for your post Lancer, you said it more eloquently then I ever could. I have posted on this subject and have maintained the same, the thwarting of the dress code is nothing more then the demise of todays society. As you noticed, the argument was very shallow and reverted to nothing more then name calling. That seems to be today's ploy, no discernible argument so I'll toss in a few insults. All his post showed me was a lack of education and tact. The bottom line is: don't want to dress up you can go to the buffet or order room service and allow those who respect tradition to do so.

Wow - this is what gets people upset.:eek: Not me - but that is why those on the other extreme start throwing around personal insults. The terrible "s" word.

The cruise line (RC) does not have a dress code or rule for formal night. Only suggested attire. They do not require anyone to wear the suggested attire (although they do enforce their rules -no shorts, no bathing suits).

But YOU demand that we not be allowed in your presence because you respect the tradition more than the cruise line. You are holding people to a standard that no longer exists on many cruises.

That to me is utterly self-centered - and will lead to the downfall of society just as quickly as thwarting the dress code. It is nearly the same - a lack of respect for other people.

If I were travelling on a cruise line that DID have a true dress code for formal night - and did enforce that rule - that would be a different story.

But we can't be thwarting a rule that DOESN'T EXIST!

I am quite convinced the various cruise lines will keep or drop the formal nights depending on their clientel. The more children oriented ships will probably drop the formal nights whereas the cruise lines aimed at couples will probably keep the formal nights. I personally, look forward to formal nights and tend to take my cruise holidays on, shall we say, the British cruise lines albeit owned by Carnival:D :D My worry is that if formal nights are dropped altogether, how long before a MacDonalds or Burgerking franchise gets on board:(

anyone can't pack ONE STINKIN' SPORTCOAT, DRESS SHIRT AND TIE is too lazy and low class for words.

Probably a Carnival or NCL customer - the budget lines.

I would like to ask those people if they've ever gone to a wedding and worn flip-flops? Or wore cammo shorts and a "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt to Christmas mass?

Why don't you do that? because it's disrespectful to the other people there and the event.

I am constantly amazed by the extreme laziness of some people.

anyone can't pack ONE STINKIN' SPORTCOAT, DRESS SHIRT AND TIE is too lazy and low class for words.

I would like to ask those people if they've ever gone to a wedding and worn flip-flops? Or wore cammo shorts and a "I'm With Stupid" t-shirt to Christmas mass?

Why don't you do that? because it's disrespectful to the other people there and the event.

You forgot your pants. :eek:

I have made room for 2 slacks two shirts two ties and one coat. Since I have had the same suit for 5 or 6 years and worn it once a year for company meetings I decided to buy all new for this cruise.

I am quite convinced the various cruise lines will keep or drop the formal nights depending on their clientel. The more children oriented ships will probably drop the formal nights whereas the cruise lines aimed at couples will probably keep the formal nights. I personally, look forward to formal nights and tend to take my cruise holidays on, shall we say, the British cruise lines albeit owned by Carnival:D :D My worry is that if formal nights are dropped altogether, how long before a MacDonalds or Burgerking franchise gets on board:(

Hello,

I did promise not to send any more posts on this subject but the above post said it better than I can. It is not that the people who want to retain formal nights are mean spirited or snobs, or wish to judge persons by what they wear. Without formal nights, a cruise will not be the special treat that it is, in terms of food, service, entertainment , and travel. To me, if formal nights are eliminated, the door will open to further cuts in food quality, service, entertainment, and choice of ports. The ultra lines such as Crystal will not be affected but I am not interested in over paying for a cruise.

Interesting isn't it that just because we want to retain formal nights for tradition and and fun, , that we are degenerates, snobs, 15th century cretins, losers, anti free enterprise, and un American.

And should I be fortunate enough to meet any of the anti formal nights group (who are as a group excellent writers), I will buy each and every one of you a long neck and we'll sit outside and drink the cold one right out of the bottle...no glasses for my friends!

Keep the remarks civil and fun.

Fred

Hello,

I did promise not to send any more posts on this subject but the above post said it better than I can. It is not that the people who want to retain formal nights are mean spirited or snobs, or wish to judge persons by what they wear. Without formal nights, a cruise will not be the special treat that it is, in terms of food, service, entertainment , and travel. To me, if formal nights are eliminated, the door will open to further cuts in food quality, service, entertainment, and choice of ports. The ultra lines such as Crystal will not be affected but I am not interested in over paying for a cruise.

Interesting isn't it that just because we want to retain formal nights for tradition and and fun, , that we are degenerates, snobs, 15th century cretins, losers, anti free enterprise, and un American.

And should I be fortunate enough to meet any of the anti formal nights group (who are as a group excellent writers), I will buy each and every one of you a long neck and we'll sit outside and drink the cold one right out of the bottle...no glasses for my friends!

Fred

This has been mentioned several times - no formal nights = decrease in quality. Poorer food, service etc.

Why are people making that assumption?

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind formal nights, would like them to keep them, even if I personally don't dress formally every time.

But how does getting rid of formal nights = Burger King and McDonalds on board?

Hello,

Fred

Please note - you - in my post does not refer to you (Fredr) personally :D

but you as in formal night traditionalists.

I doubt most people would say you are a snob simply for wanting to retain formal nights. It is when some demand higher standards of others than the cruise line itself does. The cruise line allows non-formal attire to be worn on formal night.

This sounds snobbish "If you are not wearing formal attire, you should not be allowed to be in the same dining room as I. Your mere presence, in non formal attire will diminish my experience."

This has been mentioned several times - no formal nights = decrease in quality. Poorer food, service etc.

Why are people making that assumption?

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind formal nights, would like them to keep them, even if I personally don't dress formally every time.

But how does getting rid of formal nights = Burger King and McDonalds on board?

Because cruise lines are currently scrambling to cut costs in any area they possibly can. They have had great success with introducing "specialty" restaurants that provide a higher quality dining experience for an extra charge. Those of us who have been cruising for many years (since the 1970s in my case) know that the food in the dining rooms suffered a decline when this happened, and that what is now offered at an additional $20 per person was once standard in the dining room.

If the concept of "formal night" is done away with, then what incentive does the cruise line have to continue to offer special dishes (such as lobster, caviar, etc) on those evenings. And if dress codes are relaxed, then in all likelihood we will also see further downgrading of the menus and service in the main dining rooms. I, for one, don't want to have to go to eating in a specialty restaurant in order to feel that I am getting what, by my standards, is a quality dining experience.

One does not get the same sort of food and service in the restaurant at Holiday Inn as one does in the restaurant at the Ritz Carlton.

A previous attire poll on the Princess boards (Princess is about middle-of-the-line dressy; not the most casual and not the least....)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=607843&highlight=poll

I really do think most people do want to retain formal nights despite what a few posters (who tend to be very vocal) would have us think.

[quote name='cruisemom42;15270894

I really do think most people do want to retain formal nights despite what a few posters (who tend to be very vocal) would have us think.

Could be. It seems like those who don't want to do something....or anything that's against some rule' date=' can come up with a million and one excuses or reasons to support what THEY want to do.;)

Now, we must also remember that CC makes up only a very small percentage of the cruising population and that percentage may not be representative of the cruising population as a whole.:)

BTW for anyone who wants to argue or simply disagree, remember I used words like, [i']could,[/i] seems, may...nothing definitive.:D

Because cruise lines are currently scrambling to cut costs in any area they possibly can. They have had great success with introducing "specialty" restaurants that provide a higher quality dining experience for an extra charge. Those of us who have been cruising for many years (since the 1970s in my case) know that the food in the dining rooms suffered a decline when this happened, and that what is now offered at an additional $20 per person was once standard in the dining room.

If the concept of "formal night" is done away with, then what incentive does the cruise line have to continue to offer special dishes (such as lobster, caviar, etc) on those evenings. And if dress codes are relaxed, then in all likelihood we will also see further downgrading of the menus and service in the main dining rooms. I, for one, don't want to have to go to eating in a specialty restaurant in order to feel that I am getting what, by my standards, is a quality dining experience.

One does not get the same sort of food and service in the restaurant at Holiday Inn as one does in the restaurant at the Ritz Carlton.

I get what you are saying, but I'm from Maine originally, and lobster is a very casual food usually eaten outdoors at a picnic table with your hands. There was actually a law on the books way back that limited the number of times that prisoners HAD to eat lobster in one week.:D

MAC

I get what you are saying, but I'm from Maine originally, and lobster is a very casual food usually eaten outdoors at a picnic table with your hands. There was actually a law on the books way back that limited the number of times that prisoners HAD to eat lobster in one week.:D

MAC

I thought about that when I was typing it.....I know our Northeastern neighbors have a different view of lobster!

When I was young, the biggest treat for me was going to the fanciest restaurant in our small town and having what they called lobster "dainties" with drawn butter.

I'm also probably dating myself when I say that I remember the formal evenings on cruise ships when they would serve a big heaping helping of caviar along with all the proper accoutrements (and a special caviar spoon). Yes, I learned to like caviar at the ripe old age of 10!

MAC

Any chance that law might STILL be on the books?

Maybe I'll head to Maine for a life of crime.:p

Any chance that law might STILL be on the books?

Maybe I'll head to Maine for a life of crime.:p

I don't know! But in the summer you can often buy live lobsters for around $5 a pound, and can find a whole lobster dinner many places for under $20, heck even McDonalds sells lobster roll sandwiches!:eek:

MAC

I don't have direct experience - :D - since my last cruise was not on RC...but I thought I was told that Lobster night on the Mariner was Friday night, and the second formal night is on Thursday?

Is there really a difference - the menus are better/more expensive on formal nights?

And I guess it all depends on your tastes - since I don't eat lobster - for religious reasons (or caviar) I wouldn't count that as special dish :D

I didn't read all the pages on this thread...:eek: I have to say I do enjoy formal nights. My husband and I do dress up for them too.. And yes I do cruise Carnival and the "Main stream" cruise lines. I hope they steel keep formal. At least give people the option for it..

Not everyone wants or can afford the high end cruise ships.. If we sailed on them we would never get a balcony... So we stay with the Carnival and Royal Caribbean and those types of cruise lines.. But still want to be able to dress up.

There have been a few cruises we decided not to do formal night.. And yes we didn't go to the dinning room... But to do away with it completely I think would be bad on their part.

This may ruffle some people feathers but I believe one of the reasons for formal nights exist is so the passengers will purchase more pictures. Everyone should agree that on formal nights the Promenade deck has at least 1/2 dozen different backdrops for portraits and a photographer is urging you for a picture. As for myself it would not bother me if formal nights would disappear. I still believe the dining room should keep some type of dress code that is stricter than the buffet.

This may ruffle some people feathers but I believe one of the reasons for formal nights exist is so the passengers will purchase more pictures. Everyone should agree that on formal nights the Promenade deck has at least 1/2 dozen different backdrops for portraits and a photographer is urging you for a picture. As for myself it would not bother me if formal nights would disappear. I still believe the dining room should keep some type of dress code that is stricter than the buffet.

Doesn't ruffle my feathers but I don't think formal night is the driving force behind pictures.

Just as an observation, many of the people I was sandwiched in between while looking at the pix had the casual poses rather than the "formal" ones in their grubby little hands.:p

Not many people take the time to go to a photographer at home for a professional sitting. Many gripe about the cost but a pro would cost much more and the ship photos can be quite nice.

BTW, we did not buy any formal poses but did buy 4 of the casual ones.:) As far as the photographers urging you for a picture, sure maybe they do, but that's just to take the picture. No one is around when the photos are out urging you to buy. Even if they were, take Nancy Reagan's advice and "Just Say No.":D

I don't have direct experience - :D - since my last cruise was not on RC...but I thought I was told that Lobster night on the Mariner was Friday night, and the second formal night is on Thursday?

Is there really a difference - the menus are better/more expensive on formal nights?

And I guess it all depends on your tastes - since I don't eat lobster - for religious reasons (or caviar) I wouldn't count that as special dish :D

On the last cruise that we took, on HAL, lobster night was not formal night. but that crusie was six day instead of 7 day as the ship was repositioning the following week. Lobster night was on what was normally formal night but as that was our last night of the cruise, formal night had been moved up one night.

I thought to myself on that cruise that this is what all the lines should do. Make lobster night a non formal night. If this was done, those who hate formal night would more then likely do room service or the lido.

After all, they do not want to dress up, but they still want the nicer menu.

I would love simply to see the pay extra restuarants go "formal". They could offer some sort of entertainment so that your meal would last three hours and that way you could have a whole formal evening. That way we could still experience formal night and yet the ship would not be formal for those who do not want that expereince.

I dislike that many who even particpate in formal night for the dinningroom, will dress down for the shows. To me, they may as well dress down for dinner. It seems most people do this now.

I would love simply to see the pay extra restuarants go "formal". They could offer some sort of entertainment so that your meal would last three hours and that way you could have a whole formal evening. That way we could still experience formal night and yet the ship would not be formal for those who do not want that expereince.

I dislike that many who even particpate in formal night for the dinningroom, will dress down for the shows. To me, they may as well dress down for dinner. It seems most people do this now.

I love to dress for formal nights but don't go to the specialty restuarants so that idea would be a problem for me. Since my meals are already paid for I don't care to pay extra just to dine. There are many other things I prefer to spend my money on.

As far as staying in formal dress all night: I do the dining, the show after, and a bit of time in the casino after that. Then I get comfy and roam the ship, mostly up top in the warmer weather. I have done this on all the cruises on 3 different lines.

I've said the same things many times, on the RCI board, and have gotten flamed for it.

Cruises are going to become "ala carte" whether the naysayers like it or not. The specialties have proven that pax will run each other over to make reservations for the "better" food. Many of those same pax feel that they should be able to wear their beach wear into the MDR for dinner.

I too recall the days of caviar and fine dining in the MDR. But that was back in the day when cruiselines didn't have to list what proper clothing was. Pax knew what should and should not be worn in the MDR without having to be told.

In the future you will book your cabin and then choose your dining preference. Those that can afford to go top shelf will have that experience, for additional charges. Those that can't will dine in the MDR, wear what they wish and enjoy the kinds of meals offered at their local diner.

Great post Bakincakes. No flames from me!!

Strange isnt it, how people now need to be told what is appropriate clothing? Don't remember it being like that when I was a kid (not all that long ago, I'm only 36).

Free Style dining. I just reieved the NCL Latitudes brochure.It is loaded with specialty restaraunts. Free style is an oxymoron. They should say pay extra style. They will lower the quality in the mdr to entice you to pay in the specialty restaraunts, But you can dress anyway you want.

Free Style dining. I just reieved the NCL Latitudes brochure.It is loaded with specialty restaraunts. Free style is an oxymoron. They should say pay extra style. They will lower the quality in the mdr to entice you to pay in the specialty restaraunts, But you can dress anyway you want.

I agree with that one...:mad: I looked in to NCL and that was one of the reason I haven't try NCL. My husband and I do dress up the cruises we have been on. If we don't feel like dressing up or are tried from the day we don't go to the main dining room. But that is NOT every offend.

I think they need to get stricter with the dress code. So far we get good service in the main dinning room and I hope it stays that way. I guess I would adjust if that would to change.. But I hope it doesn't.

And yes I do know how to dress in a fine dinning room and I'm only 33... But the problem is not just how you were brought up.. Now business people don't dress up as much as you had to any more.. People are just becoming more casual now.. Even getting on a plane now. People don't dress up. They dress like they are going shopping at the store.

That is why I hope the Main Dinning Room stays a place for more formal wear.. People are getting out of the habit of knowing how to dress formal nowadays and its said.

Oh this is rich. What a snob you are. Thank God you won't step foot on a Carnival or NCL ship as I personally don't want to be anywhere near you.

You must have a hard time breathing since your nose is stuck up so high that the air must be very thin up where you are.

I feel sorry for you, I really do.

Archived