Thank You United

christinelee

Please be informed......Just received phone call from United....They no longer fly into Fort Lauderdale, Florida.... great fro all coming out of the Midwest and other connecting cities..... this is another blow to the Cruising industry.....start making other plans....they do still go to Miami....THIS STINKS!!

Although I suspect this thread will be moved, I have to respond.

I just got the same phone call this morning, and spent almost an hour on the phone with a United representative. Our direct flights to/from FLL are now cancelled, and we are flying US Air through Pittsburgh to get to FLL, requiring about 4 hours more flying time.

We used miles for these tickets, and I actually looked at kayak.com to see what else might be available. Delta is selling tickets very inexpensively, also with connections, and through Atlanta (better than Pittsburgh in January), but I guess we'll stick with the flights we have. As my husband just said, there's no guarantee that any of these flights will still be operating next January, and we could end up with several more flight changes between now and then.

Makes me very glad I traveled as much as I did when I did, because it's only getter harder and more expensive!

Although I suspect this thread will be moved, I have to respond.

I just got the same phone call this morning, and spent almost an hour on the phone with a United representative. Our direct flights to/from FLL are now cancelled, and we are flying US Air through Pittsburgh to get to FLL, requiring about 4 hours more flying time.

I was wondering how that works when you use your frequent flyer miles for your trip, do they transfer them to U.S. Air now? We paid for ours with points from our credit card and I check daily to see if they have canceled the flight. It is easier for us since we are only flying to San Francisco from Los Angeles, but I still would like to know before the day we leave to find out if the flight has been canceled so we can make other arrangements.

What the heck? I always fly UAL into FLL. I don't they are canceling the city due to lack of passengers!!! For me to fly to FLL, I will now have to fly to Minneapolis first. Brilliant.....

I am upset with UAL for some other reasons - I had a free ticket and they changed the time and they won't give me my free ticket back.... UGhHH!

'Well this is a fine mess you've gottten us into Ollie.' No wonder the new policy states that air fare is not guaranteed untill booking is paid in full.....Princess will be scrambling to adjust to this, you can be sure.

Heck - I thought that was due to price of flights.

I got the call as well. Very irritating situation. :mad: I guess it's because they are no longer operating TED. They have not given me a viable alternative and said to call back in a few days as they are still trying to work out the details. In the meantime I have booked a flight on SW and will probably just have them credit my miles back. On the upside, I can now check 2 bags at no cost.

Maybe this is why airfare for those of us in So. Cal. has skyrocketed to FLL. We were paying $300 last year and now it's up to $910-$1050 per person!!! For a family of 4, that's ridiculous! :eek:

We had to pay $357 round trip each from Burbank to San Francisco on United. That is alot for 327 miles, in my opinion. We used our points from our credit card, maybe that is why it is so expensive. Never used points for flying before.

Please be informed......Just received phone call from United....They no longer fly into Fort Lauderdale, Florida.... great fro all coming out of the Midwest and other connecting cities..... this is another blow to the Cruising industry.....start making other plans....they do still go to Miami....THIS STINKS!!
Got the same call this morning that there are no direct flights into Ft. Lauderdale from the midwest. To top it off the connecting flights they are offering are thru US Air. I agree this stinks. I spent all day trying to find an alternative. American still has a few direct flights but I'm sure after I paid ALOT more money for those tickets then they would cancel those flights too. Southwest is an alternative for more money BUT the airport SW uses is alot further from home. I thought this part of our Princess cruise was taken care of a long time ago.

Sounds like Miami might be next, at least to Washington DC area. United rep would not rebook me from Mia-IAD because he said they were stopping service there also.

I rebooked on JetBlue. Spirit & US Air flies to DCA nonstop and American and Jet Blue fly to Dulles. Never flown JetBlue, but they look similar to how Independence Air was, who I loved! So I'm hoping for the best.

United will REFUND Your money if you choose to make own arrangements. Otherwise you have to wait 2 days for them to rebook you another carrier's flight.

No more direct flights from LAX to Ft. Lauderdale on American Airlines either. We now have a layover in DFW. Fortunately we are flying out a few days before the cruise.
When did they cancel the direct flights from LAX to Ft. Lauderdale. I'm thinking of changing my United flight from the midwest to American but not if they might cancel those flights too.

Wow! I am surprised. Jet Blue is the only one flying to FLL from Chicago? I do notice that Northwest/Delta are still scheduled to fly into FLL next year, so I'm OK (not a big United fan anyway).

Sounds like Miami might be next, at least to Washington DC area. United rep would not rebook me from Mia-IAD because he said they were stopping service there also.

I rebooked on JetBlue. Spirit & US Air flies to DCA nonstop and American and Jet Blue fly to Dulles. Never flown JetBlue, but they look similar to how Independence Air was, who I loved! So I'm hoping for the best.

United will REFUND Your money if you choose to make own arrangements. Otherwise you have to wait 2 days for them to rebook you another carrier's flight.

You should be happier with JetBlue since they are an upgrade from United. Nice free personal video screens in each seat.

Whew! Just checked and our Continental flight this November is still flying out of FLL to Orange County. We have a stop in Houston, but that's okay. Flight was booked and paid for in Feb so am really relieved.

Northwest and Delta are still flying to FLL.

This is just the beginning - many airports will soon be closing down as major airlines pull out.

Call your congressman - They could have done something about the rising fuel costs years ago. Now it is too late.

Ron

Yes it stinks:eek: :eek: :mad:

When did they cancel the direct flights from LAX to Ft. Lauderdale. I'm thinking of changing my United flight from the midwest to American but not if they might cancel those flights too.

They end on September 6th I believe.

No, we still have flights booked using our United Mileage Plus miles. We have United flight numbers and everything, it's just that the flights are now operated by US Airways. They booked these new flights for me, but told me if I wanted to cancel them and have my miles reinstated, they will still do that too, for no charge. That's when I went to kayak.com to see if anyone will still fly non-stop from Denver to FLL, and no one does. So I guess we'll keep those flights (and wait for further changes).

You are being put on United Codeshare flights that are operated by US Air.

As a side note...I took a cruise out of Seattle last October. I purchased Delta tickets but all my flights were on Alaska Air. Interestingly, Alaska Air's price for the same flights was twice what I paid through Delta.

Again, the flights are codeshared by DL, but operated by AS. It is not uncommon there are fare differences on the SAME flights among all codeshares and the operating airline. Some flights can have 4 to 5 codeshares, including foreign airlines flight numbers as the continuation of their transatlantic / transpacific flights.

Your file would be duly noted that you accepted the change, unless the flight schedule changes again, you now lose the option of re-deposit your miles back to your account free of fee.

What the heck? I always fly UAL into FLL. I don't they are canceling the city due to lack of passengers!!! For me to fly to FLL, I will now have to fly to Minneapolis first. Brilliant.....

I am upset with UAL for some other reasons - I had a free ticket and they changed the time and they won't give me my free ticket back.... UGhHH!

FLL is almost 100% leisure market with steep competitions from Jetblue / Southwest / Airtran. UAL has only 3% of market share in FLL, and only ONE gate leased.

This is not UAL's big market, nor profitable market. The airline has to survive, and thus keeps MIA and ditches FLL and PBI.

Of all legacy airlines, US Airways is in the worst financial situation and UAL is not far behind. Remember UAL spent 4 years in Chapter 11 and emerged on a plan that is based on oil at 55 a barrel. Count your luck if UAL does not go into Chapter 7 (liquidation, thus ceases operation.)

You mean they change schedule, but would not give you option to cancel the award booking and re-deposit your miles back to account without fee?

How much time is the schedule changed?

We had to pay $357 round trip each from Burbank to San Francisco on United. That is alot for 327 miles, in my opinion. We used our points from our credit card, maybe that is why it is so expensive. Never used points for flying before.

That's crazy! :eek: I wonder when the airlines are going to realize their planes are empty because of these skyrocketing prices? It's way out of control IMO and has got to come down to reality. At $1,000 per person (x 4 of us), we can't afford to fly to FLL anymore. :eek: The air costs more than the cruise!

Archived