Smoking Policy from a Brits point of view!

I just got off of the Jewel of the Seas, wonderful trip to the Norwegian fjords. We were with friends from the UK, who are smokers. All cabins on the Jewel are non smoking.........yet the 2008-2009 RCI UK book talks about the companies smoking policy. Here is what it says: "There are designated areas for smoking and non-smoking on all ships. All theatres and dining rooms are non-smoking. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted on the outer ship decks in designated areas. THERE ARE NO NO-SMOKING STATEROOMS OR SUITES."

It goes on to talk about the Health Act of 2006 that will apply to all cruise ships while in UK waters.

With more and more Brits and Europeans that are booking the cruises, especially the new "Immersion cruises" and the fact that RCI imposes a $200.00 fine for smoking in the cabin........many that we talked to, just wanted to know where they can pay the $200.00 to be able to smoke in their cabins.

Either RCI needs to change their policy in their UK brochures, or allow smoking. They cannot have it both ways.

Personally I think that smoking in cabins is dangerous, but Immersion cruising is about bringing more Europeans aboard......and they smoke!!

Rick

Edit to say that I thought the european ships said the new smoking policies would take effect later than in the US? I wonder if they just started the policy earlier than expected? The initial announcement said that European ships smoking policy would take place in summer 2008.

It is now even stricter on P&O Australia. As from 1 July 2008 no smoking indoors or on cabin balconies at all. Only in designated outdoor areas which appear to be one side of the Lido deck next to the pool and portside of the promenade deck. Smoking laws are strict in Australia full stop, so it looks like they are following suit.

This is only my opinion but if the cruise companies are going to branch out to different destinations that need to be consistent to be fair to all, not chop and change just to suit some.

Edit again!! Sorry. lol

The original announcement said that certain ships in europe would take place in summer 2008. Sounds like the ship you were on was not included. Here is the original annoucement

MIAMI, July 23, 2007 - In time to help guests set their New Year's resolutions for a healthier lifestyle, Royal Caribbean International announces a new smoking policy onboard its ships, effective January 2008. To bolster the cruise line's new Vitality wellness program, recently debuted on Liberty of the Seas - the newest vessel to share the title of the world's largest cruise ship with sister-ship, Freedom of the Seas - Royal Caribbean is increasing smoke-free zones by designating all staterooms and one lounge on each ship in its fleet as non-smoking areas. The new policy will go into effect aboard 18 of the line's 21 ships initially, with Legend of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas and Splendour of the Seas following suit with the 2008 summer season.

p.s. (I know I talk a lot, but that is what too much wine does to me, lol)

Yes, I know the perception is that more Europeans smoke, but since FRANCE has actually banned smoking in public spaces, I think it is high time that smoking is banned in most areas of cruise ships, too. PARIS! THE SMOKING CAPITAL IS NON SMOKING! That says a lot!!!!!

Edit again!! Sorry. lol

The original announcement said that certain ships in europe would take place in summer 2008. Sounds like the ship you were on was not included. Here is the original annoucement

MIAMI, July 23, 2007 - In time to help guests set their New Year's resolutions for a healthier lifestyle, Royal Caribbean International announces a new smoking policy onboard its ships, effective January 2008. To bolster the cruise line's new Vitality wellness program, recently debuted on Liberty of the Seas - the newest vessel to share the title of the world's largest cruise ship with sister-ship, Freedom of the Seas - Royal Caribbean is increasing smoke-free zones by designating all staterooms and one lounge on each ship in its fleet as non-smoking areas. The new policy will go into effect aboard 18 of the line's 21 ships initially, with Legend of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas and Splendour of the Seas following suit with the 2008 summer season.

I understand what Miami says.......It's the UK version of the brochure that is lax in their statement. Also, in the UK version, I cannot find the standard RCI policy of changing any policy at any time at the whim of RCI.

Great imput, by the way!!

Rick

I'm going out for a day of motorcycle riding and eating seafood - try not to start the smoking/non-smoking flame war before I get back :rolleyes:

I think it is interesting that someone would pay the $200 to smoke in their cabins.:)

If you have the money and want to smoke in your cabin there is the answer.:p

I'm going out for a day of motorcycle riding and eating seafood - try not to start the smoking/non-smoking flame war before I get back :rolleyes:

How can it start before the fuel gets back from riding and eating ?

Personally I think that smoking in cabins is dangerous, but Immersion cruising is about bringing more Europeans aboard......and they smoke!!

Rick

The assumption is wrong!

Only about 25% of the population in England are smokers. Yes, it's slightly higher than in the U.S., but still demonstrates that the clear majority are non-smokers.

I think it is interesting that someone would pay the $200 to smoke in their cabins.:)

I'd guess they won't just stop at the $200. If someone persists in smoking in the cabin they will likely be put off the ship.

p.s. (I know I talk a lot, but that is what too much wine does to me, lol)

Yes, I know the perception is that more Europeans smoke, but since FRANCE has actually banned smoking in public spaces, I think it is high time that smoking is banned in most areas of cruise ships, too. PARIS! THE SMOKING CAPITAL IS NON SMOKING! That says a lot!!!!!

I'm sure you meant to say that Paris, the smoking capital, has very restrictive smoking laws. I'm sure the same number of people who smoked before, smoke now...so, Paris is not a "nonsmoking" city.

Also, from what I hear, the French aren't really paying much attention anyway......especially at the outdoor cafes, bars and lounges and on the street. The Hookah bars are still in business, too. The fines don't seem to be having any effect either. Police simply have too many serious matters to attend to with the thugs, thieves and felons to be chasing several hundred people walking down the street with a cig in their hand.

As for banning smoking on cruise ships...that might happen on a few - especially the smaller cruise lines. A few have already imposed severe smoking limitations (Oceania and Azamara come to mind). But, on mass-market cruises, it simply won't work. Carnival already tried that with the Paradise...and it was a total flop...

As long as there are smoking and nonsmoking sections in public places onboard, that should suffice. There's room enough for everyone, for sure.rauch12.gif

I'm sure you meant to say that Paris' date=' the smoking capital, has very restrictive smoking laws. I'm sure the same number of people who smoked before, smoke now...so, Paris is not a "nonsmoking" city.

Also, from what I hear, the French aren't really paying much attention anyway......especially at the outdoor cafes, bars and lounges and on the street. The Hookah bars are still in business, too. The fines don't seem to be having any effect either. Police simply have too many serious matters to attend to with the thugs, thieves and felons to be chasing several hundred people walking down the street with a cig in their hand.

As for banning smoking on cruise ships...that might happen on a few - especially the smaller cruise lines. A few have already imposed severe smoking limitations (Oceania and Azamara come to mind). But, on mass-market cruises, it simply won't work. Carnival already tried that with the Paradise...and it was a total flop...

As long as there are smoking and nonsmoking sections in public places onboard, that should suffice. There's room enough for everyone, for sure.[img']http://www.websmileys.com/sm/smoking/rauch12.gif[/img]

It is the same in Germany. The new smoking law went in effect Jan 1 and will be enforced July 1. But pub owners don't care. They still allow smoking. Their philosophy is: if you are a no smoker go look for a place which is a designated non smoking place.

In Berlin a pub owner is suing against the law. The non smoking law is against the constitution in Germany. It is anchored in the constitution that you have a free choice of occupation (simplified). She has only a one room pub and can not comply with the law of designated non smoking. Most of her customers are smokers.

Europe is by far smoke free. Short of government places there is a battle in court and in public against these laws.

rubrrick :D

Forgive me here but in which way do you think the UK brochure is lax in their statement :confused:

It states that all cabins are non smoking, (which is what the announcement dated 23rd July 2007 says)

The only RCCL ship I know of at the moment which doesnt allow smoking in any of the bars/lounges (apart from 1 deck in disco) is the Independence.

rubrrick :D

Forgive me here but in which way do you think the UK brochure is lax in their statement :confused:

It states that all cabins are non smoking, (which is what the announcement dated 23rd July 2007 says)

The only RCCL ship I know of at the moment which doesnt allow smoking in any of the bars/lounges (apart from 1 deck in disco) is the Independence.

Hi Elizanessie,

I'm looking at the RCL Worldwide Cruise 2008-2009 brochure that came out in May of '07........that states that all cabins are smoking cabins, as stated in my initial post.

And.......I must say that just coming off of the Jewel, where smoking is permitted in the Safari Lounge, as well as other areas........including balconies, and that brochure reads as I have pointed out in my original post.

I am a non smoker, but some of my British friends are smokers, and are not taking lightly to anything that they have read, so far, that tells them that they cannot smoke.

RCCL should make this much more clear........or face the consequences of British and Europeans demanding being allowed to smoke.

Rick

Hi Elizanessie,

I'm looking at the RCL Worldwide Cruise 2008-2009 brochure that came out in May of '07........that states that all cabins are smoking cabins, as stated in my initial post.

And.......I must say that just coming off of the Jewel, where smoking is permitted in the Safari Lounge, as well as other areas........including balconies, and that brochure reads as I have pointed out in my original post.

I am a non smoker, but some of my British friends are smokers, and are not taking lightly to anything that they have read, so far, that tells them that they cannot smoke.

RCCL should make this much more clear........or face the consequences of British and Europeans demanding being allowed to smoke.

Rick

Hi Rick :D

Yes I was looking at same brochure. I think the problem is with the wording..."no no smoking cabins"...what they should have said is "ALL cabins are non smoking except for on balconies"

I know when we were on the Indy our cabin had a no smoking sign outside the cabin door but we were allowed to smoke on the balcony, very confusing for everyone.

I'm sure you meant to say that Paris' date=' the smoking capital, has very restrictive smoking laws. I'm sure the same number of people who smoked before, smoke now...so, Paris is not a "nonsmoking" city.

As long as there are smoking and nonsmoking sections in public places onboard, that should suffice. There's room enough for everyone, for sure.[img']http://www.websmileys.com/sm/smoking/rauch12.gif[/img]

I agree with you to a point, but given the percentage of non-smokers to smokers, there are far too many smoking areas on most ships. It should be much more limited in favour of the comfort of the majority.

I just got off of the Jewel of the Seas, wonderful trip to the Norwegian fjords. We were with friends from the UK, who are smokers. All cabins on the Jewel are non smoking.........yet the 2008-2009 RCI UK book talks about the companies smoking policy. Here is what it says: "There are designated areas for smoking and non-smoking on all ships. All theatres and dining rooms are non-smoking. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted on the outer ship decks in designated areas. THERE ARE NO NO-SMOKING STATEROOMS OR SUITES."

It goes on to talk about the Health Act of 2006 that will apply to all cruise ships while in UK waters.

With more and more Brits and Europeans that are booking the cruises, especially the new "Immersion cruises" and the fact that RCI imposes a $200.00 fine for smoking in the cabin........many that we talked to, just wanted to know where they can pay the $200.00 to be able to smoke in their cabins.

Either RCI needs to change their policy in their UK brochures, or allow smoking. They cannot have it both ways.

Rick

There will always be smokers who will try to break the rules, even when they eventually ban smoking everywhere on the ship (soon, I hope!). The only solution that I think would work would be to kick them off the ship at the next port. A small fine is insufficient punishment to weaken the control that nicotine has over some of these people.

Do you think this could mean $200 per day?

I agree with you to a point, but given the percentage of non-smokers to smokers, there are far too many smoking areas on most ships. It should be much more limited in favour of the comfort of the majority.

What % of the sq. feet of inside a ship allows smoking? My guess is about 2%.

Archived