Buffet Question

Woobstr112G

Since I have never sailed on princess before, Can someone please explain the buffet station concept to me...

Thanks

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Since I have never sailed on princess before, Can someone please explain the buffet station concept to me...

Thanks Bob

There are 2 entrances which means confusion right off the bat. There is one long "hot" station and most people line up clockwise like a cafeteria. Some people, especially those going back for seconds, just break into the line to get the one thing they want.

There is one long "cold" station with fruit, cheeses, deserts. In the middle are the breads and salads. If you go during "peak" times it will be hot and crowded. There are no trays. The beverages are at either end of the dining area. Good luck. We avoid the buffet like the plague but some mornings are forced to eat there due to early port calls.

The problem lies not with the stations (they're great) but with 1.) people who still insist on lining up to go around all of them (or maybe they just don't know what they want until they see everything), and 2.) the fact that there is not enough room to have a person at one station, a person at a station right across from it and still allow enough room for two people to pass each other in between them. On the Sun class ships, there is barely enough room for one person to pass between them, creating inevitable bottlenecks for people simply moving between the stations.

The Horizon Court is most usually on one of the upper decks of the ship. It is usually composed of three or four actual eating areas, mostly alike. The menu is the same in all the areas, with the exception of some of the ships like Caribean Princess, who has one area that tends to be a bit different. The areas tend to be open as needed, such as all four areas might be open during peak times, and only one during a non peak time.

In the Horizon Court, attire is casual, must have shirt and shoes, but shorts are fine. The food is set up in stations, such as cheeses, breads, hot foods, etc. Pick up a plate, and get what you want, then proceed to the next station that interests you. Very similar to many corporate cafeterias or college cafeterias today. It is not designed to be used as the old fashioned get in a cafeteria line, and that does seem to frustrate and confuse some people, especially older cruisers who have not experienced modern cafeteria stations.

I enjoy the Horizon Court. A couple of events there not to be missed include the Bavarian night if you like German food, mid afternoon free ice cream, and late night snacking. It is open 24 hours. Yes, it can be crazy at times, but at other times it is very relaxing. A definite good alternative to getting dressed for the dining rooms (of course, another good alternative is room service). Enjoy your cruise!

We eat breakfast and lunch almost every day on all our cruises in the buffet. I can eat in a Restaurant (read Dining Room) anytime without being on a cruise. For dinner we choose "Traditional" late.

The Embarkation Day is chaotic in the buffet because most think they have to "line-up" and masses of hungry persons are boarding at the same time -- so be willing to check out the grill and pizza place on embarkation day. Do not get obsessed with "having" to find the open dining room on embarkation day. On other days, if one is "programmed" to eat exactly at 8:30 am breakfast and 12 noon lunch even on a cruise, then the buffet is not for you. Otherwise, we have not found it crowded. We like to sample food and take a little and go for seconds (like more fruit at breakfast or dessert at lunch) and we have never felt crowded. I am amused that an elite cruiser who has posted above still thinks of Horizon Court as being line oriented! The only "line" is at the beginning -- to pick up the platter and the silverware as one enters and to use the sanitizer at the entrance. Having picked up the platter, go to the "station" with the food you want (except on Embarkation Day). Occasionally, one area may be crowded. Then go to the uncrowded station first. And I hate trays -- disgusting -- so I am glad that Princess does not have trays. The platters work well. Also, on some cruises, an omelet station is set up or the "grill" is set up as the omelet station. The patter will give the timings if the grill serves as an omelet station for breakfast.

But like everything on a cruise, there are so many options. So choose what you feel most comfortable. /Sultan

The Embarkation Day is chaotic in the buffet because most think they have to "line-up" and masses of hungry persons are boarding at the same time --Sultan

Obsessed? Its easy to find a dining room for lunch, your statement above is exactly the reson why I eat there rather then the buffet. ;)

I posted this on the thread about crowding on the Emerald. I have no problems with the buffet set-up as it's what I'm accustomed to in other such venue.

Quote:I couldn't agree more. Maybe the problem is people coming from other lines that just don't get the station concept. It works like a charm. Get your hands sanitized, get your silver, napkin and plate and head on in to the station that has the food that you want. No problemo.

I can't even recall the last time that I attended a "buffet" style function that was organized like a school lunch line. In fact, many school cafeterias offer food stations these days - hot items handed out at a counter, do-it-yourself condiment setups, salad bar, taco bar, milk cart, etc.

Brunches and other buffet service at clubs/hotels/restaurants rarely have a single serpentine line any more. Depending on the meal and food selection, hot foods are served in one area, while cold offerings, salads, pastries, etc. are set up at separate, easily accessed counters. If you return to the buffet area for additional items, you don't have to queue up again or cut in line to get something.

DH and I don't eat in Horizon Court often, but when we do, we don't find any problems with the buffet setup.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=802144

I don't consider it a "line" concept but rather different "stations".

I totally agree. Why should I have to stand to the right of some person who can't decide what kind of potatoes they want, when all I want is to get some eggs that are on their left? It's not a line.

But common courtesy is also a simple thing. I'm not going to push or shove someone so that I can get where I'm going. And if I can assist someone who is trying to get to a dish, I'll do that too. And I always give the right of way to a wheelchair or handicapped person. My parents taught me well.;)

One of the main problems we have found with the buffet on Princess ships is that many treat it like a cafeteria, which it is not. I agree, they really needed to alot a little extra space up there, but if is used properly, it works well.

The 'station' concept is a great idea but there are too many that don't realize how to utilize this type of set up.

I've said this before, they should put a little pamphlet in each stateroom, explaining the proper use of the stations in the Horizon Court! Therefore eliminating evil looks, snide remarks, etc. when you go from one station to another instead of standing in a buffet line:rolleyes:

I've said this before, they should put a little pamphlet in each stateroom, explaining the proper use of the stations in the Horizon Court! Therefore eliminating evil looks, snide remarks, etc. when you go from one station to another instead of standing in a buffet line:rolleyes:

Yes! Great idea! Princess, are you listenig?

I agree with Sultan in that I much prefer the Princess buffet concept over the lines experienced on RCI. There's nothing worse than standing in a line for 15 - 20 minutes and finally get to where the food actually is; you hold off on getting something because there might be something better further along and then you realize you really want what was towards the beginning. Good luck trying to go back and get something without having to go back to the end of the line again. I can't tell you the number of times I've been yelled at or abused because I had the temerity to want to go back and get one little thing.

On HAL, they have a different concept where they have manned stations but you can't get your own food. It might work well if there was actually someone at the manned station but on my 18-day Prinsendam cruise last summer, there was only one station that was manned with a long line as the people in front decided how much they wanted of each thing. I went outside to get a hotdog and potato salad, and had almost finished lunch by the time the people at the end of the line when I got there were actually being served.

I like the Princess concept because if I want just a salad and cold cuts, I can just go to those areas and get what I want. Sure, there's some crowding sometimes but it's still better than a 15-20 minute wait in a line.

I also wish Princess would give clearer directions for moving through the buffet. If people would just go the stations they want to instead of lining up cafeteria style things would move more smoothly. Sometimes when I go the just the areas I want I get the "bad eye" from those who are still using the cafeteria style. It's not the set-up that's at fault, it's the lack of explanation on procedures.

Clutterlady...you and I were separated at birth! On my last three Princess cruises I have (on embarkation day) found the manager of the Horizon Court and said "Why don't you have someone make a friendly announcement as they hand out silverware saying, 'feel free to wander the stations... no lines necessary."

It's just awful when the "newbies" on a cruise look at the "old-timers" like their being rude...and worse yet...on that first day you'll sometimes hear people saying 'there's a line here ya know!'. Nice way to start off a cruise.

I love the setup...just wish it was explained better.

I even think it could be a selling point in their brochures. "And our sumpuous buffets don't require you to stand in line...feel free to wander the Horizon Court and choose your meal at your own pace." Can't you just hear that woman who does the Princess voiceovers saying that with a slo-mo shot of some glamourous couple pointing at a tasty dish?

I'm available as a consultant Princess! :)

Clutterlady...you and I were separated at birth! On my last three Princess cruises I have (on embarkation day) found the manager of the Horizon Court and said "Why don't you have someone make a friendly announcement as they hand out silverware saying, 'feel free to wander the stations... no lines necessary."

It's just awful when the "newbies" on a cruise look at the "old-timers" like their being rude...and worse yet...on that first day you'll sometimes hear people saying 'there's a line here ya know!'. Nice way to start off a cruise.

I love the setup...just wish it was explained better.

I even think it could be a selling point in their brochures. "And our sumpuous buffets don't require you to stand in line...feel free to wander the Horizon Court and choose your meal at your own pace." Can't you just hear that woman who does the Princess voiceovers saying that with a slo-mo shot of some glamourous couple pointing at a tasty dish?

I'm available as a consultant Princess! :)

Perhaps, they could take a clue from Disney World. You know that lady with the sweet voice repeating over and over "please watch your step and exit to the left":D

Archived