Portland Maine?

Kennedy1116

I am cruising at the end of the month to New England and Canada. I have plans for almost all of the ports with the exception of Portland.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a 2 year old who is a very good traveler, but still I would like something that we can all enjoy. I was thinking about taking her on the Horse Drawn Carriage ride, but then what to do with the remaining 10 hours in port. Something on the water would be of interest, perhaps a close local beach?

On another note, I am sure my husband and his brother would enjoy the local breweries, does anyone know if they are in close proximity to each other?

not sure about drinking but plenty of places to shop and eat in town. also a great museum.

have yuo typed in portland maine and seen the list of ideas. a little cold for a beach but yuo can layer and do a baot ride. you could rent a car and go to LL bean too.

Portland is a great place to walk around. They do have museums and lots of shops. There are quite a few local brewerys that he might enjoy. Here is a list http://www.foodinportland.com/brewpub.html

If you want to get out of he city, Freeport is about 20 mins away and is a wonderful place to hang out and walk around.

Have a great time.:D

WE did a bus tour that took us out into the country.

Beaches -- not handy to the port. Will be cold.

Lots of restraurants -- and good eats!!

What do you mean cold? LOL. The water temp is ALMOST 70. I've lived here all my life and find the ocean too cold except at the beaches that have small coves and such. I still swim but complain for the first few minutes. The water from NJ on seems so warm to me.

What do you mean cold? LOL. The water temp is ALMOST 70.

When? Last time my family and I visited friends in Kennebunkport (not the famous residents) -August, I believe - we went wading at low tide to collect sand dollars. After about 10 minutes I realized I could no longer feel my feet and lower legs!

Hampton Beach here in NH not much better, but my granddaughters seem to love it, even when they start to turn blue. Guess I'm getting soft in my advanced years.

Bob

I am cruising at the end of the month to New England and Canada. I have plans for almost all of the ports with the exception of Portland.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a 2 year old who is a very good traveler, but still I would like something that we can all enjoy. I was thinking about taking her on the Horse Drawn Carriage ride, but then what to do with the remaining 10 hours in port. Something on the water would be of interest, perhaps a close local beach?

On another note, I am sure my husband and his brother would enjoy the local breweries, does anyone know if they are in close proximity to each other?

Which cruise ship are you on.If it is Explorer we have a really great group of us going on the July 31 cruise 'If you are on it come on over and join us on the roll call board

Which cruise ship are you on.If it is Explorer we have a really great group of us going on the July 31 cruise 'If you are on it come on over and join us on the roll call board

She is on our sailing...and another Florida gal! We'll have to reel her in;)

As a tour guide in Portland, I wouldn't recommend the ship excursion tours for your 2 y/o. Horse ride is a farm wagon that carries 18 people at one time, not a carriage (although there is a private carriage operator down the street offering tours).

Our ocean temp is around 60-65 in July. There is a beach (East End Beach) on the east end of the city, but an even better beach just across the bridge in South Portland (Willard Beach). Big playground and lifeguards. Water can be cold, but with low tide, lots of areas to explore for tidal creatures.

Other options for the 2 y/o would include the Children's Museum on Free Street, and a ride on the Casco Bay Ferry out to the local harbor island to do some exploring. There are a few toy stores in the "Old Port" that may have something to interest your daughter. And of course there's the Maine Mall shopping center across town near the airport.

For the beer bellys, Shipyard Brewery is just up the street from the ship and they offer tours of their facility. Several other brews are made in the area and they have brewpubs - Gritty's & Sebago are in the "Old Port" and folks can have a bite with their drinks.

Sopo.....you're obviously a good one to ask about Portland. We would like to spend the afternoon on Casco Bay, and can't decide between the cruise part of Mainley combo tour in the afternoon, or the Mailrun @ 2 PM. Not sure how the ferry is as far as comfort etc., and will it seem too long at 3 hours. We want to see how the weather is, but if it is a beautiful day, what is your opinion on the BEST cruise out there on the bay? I don't know that much about what is out there. Price doesn't matter. Thanks in advance.

We were just in Portland last week and had a great day. We rented a car from Enterprise and drove to the Portland Head Light lighthouse. There is a large park area with playground/picnic areas which would give your two year old lots of space to run. There is also a small but excellent museum about the lighthouse which was interesting and informative - very well done. We then drove to Kennebunkport - seeing the countryside and houses en route were some of the highlights of our trip. I ate lobster rolls 4-5 times for lunch on the trip since they aren't available here in the Midwest and the very best one I had was from the market on the main drag in Kennebunkport. There is also a long beach just outside of town. Afterwards we had time to explore the shops in Portland for a few hours. We wanted to get to the breweries but were having so much fun doing other things we ran out of time!

We were just in Portland last week and had a great day. We rented a car from Enterprise and drove to the Portland Head Light lighthouse. There is a large park area with playground/picnic areas which would give your two year old lots of space to run. There is also a small but excellent museum about the lighthouse which was interesting and informative - very well done. We then drove to Kennebunkport - seeing the countryside and houses en route were some of the highlights of our trip. I ate lobster rolls 4-5 times for lunch on the trip since they aren't available here in the Midwest and the very best one I had was from the market on the main drag in Kennebunkport. There is also a long beach just outside of town. Afterwards we had time to explore the shops in Portland for a few hours. We wanted to get to the breweries but were having so much fun doing other things we ran out of time!

We are on the same cruise as you at the end of the month. Portland is the only stop that I haven't made up my mind as to what to do. We are thinking of staying in Portland or we have a car reserved with Enterprise also. Did you call them and they picked you up? How long did that whole part take? Thanks for your information. Also, which was your favorite port on the trip and what did you do there?

What about the train? When we were in Portland last (maybe '04?) we did this just for some scenery and there were lots of locals on board just taking an afternoon outing with the children..It's here on this list and you can get onboard just a short walk from the pier. Most children love trains!

Greater Portland has so many activities for you to enjoy with children − it's the perfect place to get away from it all... together.

Children's Museum of Maine

Discover the power of play with interactive exhibits that encourage hands-on exploration for the whole family! Daily programs on the arts, science and multicultural topics. Don't miss the best view of Portland through the amazing Camera Obscura.

Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad

Take a ride on the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, an authentic two-foot gauge train which chugs alongside Portland's waterfront.

Life-Sized Chocolate Moose

Take a factory tour, complete with samples, of Len Libby's Homemade Candies and visit Lenny, the world's only life-sized chocolate moose.

Caroline,

It's all going to depend on what type of experience you're looking for. Touristy or local?

If you're looking for a boat ride, then do the "mail run". It's an un-narrated trip from Portland's waterfront out to several of the islands in Casco Bay. (the captain and/or crew may get on the pa from time to time to point out something interesting, but it's not all talk) Think of this ride as a bus or train on a schedule - depending on how many people are getting off and on at each stop is how long you'll be at each point. The views out in the harbor are nice and it is fun to watch people. These boats hold a lot of people and their goods. Wide decks and plenty of room to move about and a great chance to meet the locals and get their point of view of living out in the harbor. Can bring your own food and drinks on board. Runs 365 days a year - no matter the weather - even in peasoup fog.

The Mainley / Eagle Island tour will give you narration, better views of the lighthouses (Portland Head, Spring Point, Bug [Portland Breakwater]) that dot our shore as well as the old military forts. They'll have more time to cater to your interests. May have a better chance to see marine life (harbor seals, osprey, Eider) from this as they'll be looking for them to show you. Will not go out in really bad weather.

I've done both tours and family and friends. Because I live here, I save the mailrun for later in the day and make it a sunset supper ride. You won't have that luxury because of the ship's schedule.

Enjoy whichever one you take.

When? Last time my family and I visited friends in Kennebunkport (not the famous residents) -August, I believe - we went wading at low tide to collect sand dollars. After about 10 minutes I realized I could no longer feel my feet and lower legs!

Hampton Beach here in NH not much better, but my granddaughters seem to love it, even when they start to turn blue. Guess I'm getting soft in my advanced years.

Bob

Currently and when I posted earlier. I was was referring to where I live in MA. The water temp in southern New England as you know is a tad warmer. These are the current coastal temps in my neck of the woods tonight. I'm not so young myself but I'm used to the Maine waters where my parents live as well as "down south" here, lol. When we go to the Caribbean I am in heaven in that water! It's nice to walk right in without doing the slow crawl we do up here.

Coastal Water Temperatures

Place:Temperature:Boston, MA62.1 °F / 16.7 °C Providence, RI77.0 °F / 25.0 °C Conimicut Light, RI80.1 °F / 26.7 °C Woods Hole, MA75.0 °F / 23.9 °C Newport, RI73.0 °F / 22.8 °C

The Weather Underground marine forecast site is great.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AN/230.html

Sopo Pirates - could you drop me a note off forum. Have some questions about touring in Portland late in the season (we're on the repositioning cruise of the Royal Princess, in Portland on 11/4) and so many tours and activities seem to either shut down at the end of October, or go to a weekends only schedule.

Thanks - donahcbrown@msn.com

Benzygirl: Enterprise would have been happy to pick us up at the dock and take us to the car rental shop but my husband decided to walk instead - he got there in 20 minutes walking fairly briskly and was back at the dock to pick us up within 40 minutes. At the end of the day he dropped us off at a shop in Portland, drove to the rental car shop and they dropped him back off where we were. The whole process was quite quick and the people were great to work with.

He was very pleased with Enterprise all around. We rented from them in New London as well. Even though if was the 4th of July and the rental shop was supposed to be closed they shuttled all of the cars to the port so we just had to walk past the security shack to pick up our car.

We had a good time in all of the ports. They each offer something a bit different. In New London, as I said we rented a car and then drove to Mystic Seaport. We spent a very enjoyable morning/early afternoon there touring the ships, learning about the "dead horse ceremony", attending a show at the planetarium, watching a very cute 4th of July parade and having our very first lobster rolls. Afterwards, we drove to Mystic and walked around a bit but were not really interested in shopping so we took a leisurely drive back to port.

We all loved Halifax. We went to Peggy's Cove in the morning on a ship's tour - which we don't usually do. Peggy's Cove was beautiful as was the drive there. We learned about lobsters. Our 15 year old had a great time jumping on the huge boulders and we visited a few art/gift shops. We wished we had rented a car in Halifax so we could have stayed longer in Peggy's Cove. Afterwards we went back to port and got on the double decker tour bus which was part of our tour package. We soon figured out however, that we had learned all of the information being imparted on our way to Peggy's Cove so we got off and walked along the harbourfront. We ate on the harbourside patio of Salty's. It was a glorious day and the food was good. There was a marine biologist on the dock next to the restaurant with a scope looking down into the bay. He let my 15 year old (and any other interested kid) take a look. We bummed around the shops for awhile and took a leisurely stroll back to the ship. There were lots of kiosks/trailers along the way selling well-priced food - it looked like people were enjoying the weather, food and people watching. If we ever make it back I will rent a car and spend most of the day in the countryside/small towns, leaving a few hours at the end t tour Alexander Keith's Brewery.

We would love to cruise the NE area during the autumn to see the fall foliage. However, a lot of the itineraries include more ports in Canada than New England. Not that there is anything wrong with Canada, because we have looked at doing some cruises that are almost completely Canadian ports, but is anyone aware of a cruiseline that hits more of the NE area?

We would love to cruise the NE area during the autumn to see the fall foliage. However, a lot of the itineraries include more ports in Canada than New England. Not that there is anything wrong with Canada, because we have looked at doing some cruises that are almost completely Canadian ports, but is anyone aware of a cruiseline that hits more of the NE area?

Sorry, should have been a new thread. But, if anyone has any answers it would be appreciated.

We are doing the Royal Princess repositioning cruise and it does a number of New England ports, but, I'm afraid, will miss most of the leaves, at least in the northern end - may get some as we go south. Ports are Montreal, Quebec, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, Portland, Boston, New London (for Mystic), New York, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Baltimore, Charleston, and Fort Lauderdale. I know Princess does some New York round trips in the fall leaf season, and those should hit a few of the New England stops, I would think.

We are doing the Royal Princess repositioning cruise and it does a number of New England ports, but, I'm afraid, will miss most of the leaves, at least in the northern end - may get some as we go south. Ports are Montreal, Quebec, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, Portland, Boston, New London (for Mystic), New York, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Baltimore, Charleston, and Fort Lauderdale. I know Princess does some New York round trips in the fall leaf season, and those should hit a few of the New England stops, I would think.

Wow. That's one heck of a cruise no matter what time of year you go. That hits a lot of great places all over. Thanks.

Archived