Too high for Sydney Bridge

Prior to her convertion to Pacific Dawn in Singapore - Regal Princess with an air draft of 47.6 metres was too high to safely get under Sydney Harbour Bridge.

This was overcome by making the topmast able to be lowered.

The attached photos from W818 show the topmast UP leaving Nukualofa & DOWN leaving Dravuni Island.

Any other cruise ship considered for Sydney would be required to get below the 47 metre limit air draft for the bridge.

John

2134584375_P1010891-depNukualofa.jpg.ba6ccc9e832a8af3c11d87c59ef44693.jpg

1239591649_P1020279-SignalmastloweredforSydney.jpg.be6e29d55ebf1659c0d21f2fc614b118.jpg

Sea Dog46..John..as you know I was on Regal Princess pre Pacific Dawn when we sailed under Sydney Harbour Bridge on Oct 2 last year, we berthed at Wharf 8, Darling Harbour. I estimate we got under the bridge by about 2 or 3 metres, with the original mast etc. The ship left that day back under the bridge to Singapore for refit. So I am a little perplexed by your post mate, no hard feeling though.

Cheers..Les:cool: :confused:

Hi Les - see you enjoyed your circumnavigation of Oz.

Shame about not being able to tender.

On W818 we tendered in all seven ports.

You can see from the photos what was done to the mast.

It was also mentioned by Capt. Andrew.

The SAFE clearance for SHB is max air draft of 47 metres.

This is under the maintenance gantry.

Regal Princess / Pacific Dawn - there air draft is still the same

47.6 metres.

So that she complies with the rules & they don't have to shift the gantry, they had to fit a lowering top mast.

This requrement would have to be complied with by any replacement cruiseship for PD.

John

Thanks John, I now understand what you are getting at with the airdraft, hence the mast alterations. Yes, some positives and negatives on our OZ trip, thats the risk you take with tender ports on your itinerary.

Cheers..Les:cool:

John,

I am curious about the air draft measurements. By media and P&O's releases, Sun Princess is the tallest ship to pass under the coathanger. The info I have is that Sun Princess has an air draft of just under 48.4 metres. The collapsable topmast was left raised during departure and again on return, but I noticed from my pics that the gantry is parked well to the north side of the bridge for both passes.

I had not previously considered that SP was actually capable of striking the bridge gantry, so I gather the topmast would be lowered if the gantry was anywhere near the shipping lane. Who would make that call - the Pilot?

Hi Geoff

I was not aware Sun Princess had a topmast that could be lowered.

Regarding whether the topmast can stay up - the ship would be advised well before the pilot comes onboard & maybe they are only advising when it needs to be lowered.

As you say the gantry is usually stowed at the northern end of the bridge out of the way when not in use.

Pacific Dawn had lowered hers before we left Dravuni Island for a

0530 pilot & 0700 berthing.

Obviously any cruiseship wanting to use Wharf 8 will have to be able to comply with the 47 metre airdraft restriction.

John

Several ships can lower their masts to get under bridges.Here a link to a neat video of Norwegian Dream in the Kiel Canal.Not only the mast is lowered hydraulically but the funnel is flipped as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eo8hvcfCRA&feature=related

(its in the very first part of the clip)

Hi Geoff

I was not aware Sun Princess had a topmast that could be lowered.

Regarding whether the topmast can stay up - the ship would be advised well before the pilot comes onboard & maybe they are only advising when it needs to be lowered.

As you say the gantry is usually stowed at the northern end of the bridge out of the way when not in use.

Pacific Dawn had lowered hers before we left Dravuni Island for a

0530 pilot & 0700 berthing.

Obviously any cruiseship wanting to use Wharf 8 will have to be able to comply with the 47 metre airdraft restriction.

John

On the Sydney Ports's vessel movement system I often see that Pacific Dawn and Sun Princess both have the note 'Check Bridge Clearance" listed against their time of departure. What is a bit odd is that it says this, even if they are berthing at OPT. They obviously don't want them reversing into the bridge either. (I think this did happen at some time in the past, maybe with Canberra?)

Also in the system it lists the ships measurements -

Sun Princess - keel to truck with top mast down 56.74m

Pacific Dawn - keel to truck 60.25 (55.5 with mast lowered)

Several ships can lower their masts to get under bridges.Here a link to a neat video of Norwegian Dream in the Kiel Canal.Not only the mast is lowered hydraulically but the funnel is flipped as well.

That was cool, David:)

Wow! That was great! Thanks for posting this David.

Archived