Frankfurt Airport

Misgivings

We are going to be in the Frankfurt airport for 5 hours. I understand that you can catch a train at the airport and be downtown in 15-20 minutes. Is that correct? Since we wouldn't be taking anything with us other than carryons, would the customs process be extensive?

Misgivings:confused:

We also will have a 5 hour layover in Frankfurt and would appreciate ideas of how we might spend the time (is it feasible to leave the airport?). Also, are lockers available where we could leave our carryons should we decide to leave the airport to look around the town?

Actually I´d stay at the airport. 5 hours isn´t pretty much. Customs/immigration wouldn´t be a problem at all. The main problem at Frankfurt is security and there can be long lines. It might also be that your plane is somewhere out on the airfield and you´ll be bussed to the terminal which is taking a lot of time.

Here´s the website of Frankfurt airport

http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com/cms/default/rubrik/9/9682.airport_city_en.htm

steamboats

I just wanted to let you know that if you have not been through Frankfurt Airport you need to be aware that they maintain very high levels of security.

When I have been there, I have had to go through two (2) security checkpoints.

The first is fairly straightforward and let's you in to the terminals.

As you begin to go to your gate for a US bound flight, there is another security checkpoint bottleneck which is extremely thorough.

I believe you also are NOT ALLOWED through that checkpoint until 1 or so hours before flight time.

Anyway, things may have changed since I was there a year or so ago...however, the above is my experience.

At the end of the day, I think I would opt to stay at the airport and shop or go to a cafe'...whatever, and not risk difficulty getting to my flight-but that's just me!

If you're flying Business Class or First you will be able to use the great lounges at the airport, most with showers. If you are flying coach check with your airline if you can purchase a day-pass to the lounge.

It will not pay you to go into Frankfurt as you need to be back at the airport very early for your continuing flight.:)

Security at Frankfurt is extreme. Even 13 years ago the police were walking around with Uzi's. Quite the experience for a first time flyer. I wouldn't leave, there is more than enough to keep you entertained at the airport. Trains can be confusing - we missed our flight because we misread the sign - had a lovely tour of the Rhine valley, however.

Barb

Security at Frankfurt is extreme. Even 13 years ago the police were walking around with Uzi's. Quite the experience for a first time flyer. I wouldn't leave, there is more than enough to keep you entertained at the airport. Trains can be confusing - we missed our flight because we misread the sign - had a lovely tour of the Rhine valley, however.

Barb

Actually the police have been carrying sub machine guns (mostly Heckler & Koch HK MP5 variations) since the mid 1970s, since the RAF (not Royal Air Force) strted their attacks.

The trains (either local S-Bahn or Intercity ICE) are frequent and fast, BUT there is hardly anything worth doing or seeing in Frankfurt especially as you only have 5 hours. I concur with most of the other messages, stay at the Airport (in the intransit area) and relax before the flight. The security at Frankfurt Airport is probably the most stringent in Germany.

Ron

Just to note that there is no longer a second security line for flights to the US. It was eliminated some months ago. We passed through Frankfurt at the end of May and there was no line at security at all.

We went through a second security check in both Frankfurt and Munich when we traveled in June. In Frankfurt coming in we had to recheck bags and go through security. In Munich we had to go through security again even though we had only come from Nuremburg and had gone through security there.

If you're going from domestic gate to international, it could take you 1/2 the 5 hours to just get there! :eek: It's good to know they no longer have the second security checkpoint. We nearly missed our plane to the US because of the security. It's really strict. I would find a nice cafe, have a leisurely meal and do a little shopping.....there's not that much to see around the airport anyway and it's a bit of a trek into the city.

Archived