Voyager and Mariner Dry Dock & Other updates

I meet with a lot of general managers, chefs, and food and beverage managers at land-based hotels. A number of them have told me that the reason they bland down is not necessarily for Western taste but because their are less sickness incidents when more traditional fare is served. This is just another thought for the mix.

I hope they leave plenty of public places to sit and chat and relax. I felt so relaxed on that ship.

Linda, I had to laugh out loud and am smiling as I can just visualize that sour face. I can't say I don't give my husband what he thinks is a frequent nag at home on dietary options, but on a cruise or other vacation, I don't bug him at all and surely would not nag or embarrass anyone I was with no matter what in a group setting. I think he was about to crawl under the table. Even Todd felt like he should not eat all his food. He had saved up all day to be hungry enough for that prime rib, and she told Todd she couldn't believe anyone could eat a slab of meat like that. I was lucky that I had an interesting and fun loving couple on the other side of me and wasn't stuck like he was.

Bring on Prime Seven steakhouse. I think it's a fun idea and happy to get rid of Latitudes, it was never to my liking. If the day ever comes when I'm going to worry about eating healthy, eating red meat etc. while I'm on a cruise vacation, that's when I'll know it's time to stay home. I think steakhouses in the larger cities are very popular.

There are some really interesting posts that have made me think. The best steak I have had on board a ship was on the PG (in 2004 --- before it was sold and things became a bit different). Even though the steak was amazing, I wouldn't think of having it again on a 7 night cruise (my DH did have it one more time). My point is that "speciality" restaurants should have that designation for a reason.

Although I enjoy Latitudes, it is just a once per cruise dining experience. IMO, it's Signature's that (at least on our last cruise), wasn't "special" enough. The service is usually impeccable, but, the food was good -- not great -- just good. They did have an amazing escargot dish -- the rest of the meal probably would have been better at Compass Rose.

The new dining venue is a done deal -- however, Regent execs. are looking at making positive changes. Perhaps they will look at some of the posts on CC and make sure they have well-prepared, outstanding seafood, lamb and perhaps pork dishes in addition to steak. It wouldn't surprise me if Signatures became the "reservation" restaurant to visit only if reservations are not available elsewhere.:confused:

As we’ve never really had a memorable meal in Latitudes, except for one group dinner where the company not the food was the hit, its demise will not trouble us. Our comment cards have consistently reflected this feeling since our first cruise on the Mariner in 2001. We are surprised they’ve chosen to replace it with a steakhouse, for as many here have already commented, there are plenty of places to order a nice steak on board. In fact, Latitudes has been the only dining venue aboard without a viable steak option; even the pool grill had those nice luncheon steaks.

A bigger worry is the cutback in the breadth of selections and (IOHO) the quality of the food in Compass Rose. It used to be there were at least five appetizer choices, and always three, often four choices each of salad and soup, plus those available on the Menu Dégustation. Now there are but two each plus the Dégustation option, hardly a decent choice for a first-class restaurant on a ship charging upwards of $1,000 per day for two people.

We’ve often had trouble finding acceptable choices lately, particularly on Mariner, which seems to have gone totally over to nouveau cuisine, which we don’t particularly care for. As one local (Florida) chef put it: “one of the reasons behind the renaissance of French cuisine is the public's quest for classic ‘real food’. After a decade or so of American fusion-cuisine, people want unpretentious dishes like trout amandine, lobster bisque, and chateaubriand served in a casual, yet elegant manner. . ."

For years we’ve commented that a “comfort food” option would be a very nice addition, particularly on longer voyages where it’s easy to become tired of all the fancy food day after day, but to no avail. Tobias, the chef on the Mariner during Mariner’s Grand Pacific cruise in 2005, told us he was introducing simpler comfort food “soon”, but it never happened.

All in all, a growing disapointment!

Would hate to see Latitudes disappear on Regent. It would seem more reasonable to operate it like they did aboard Mariner on our 26 day Pacific cruise in Sep/Oct '04. They changed the venue every week or so; not always Asian. As far as steak goes on Regent, I can honestly say that I never had a good steak on any of the ships, and I'm a steak lover.

My first choice would have been to turn Latitudes into an Italian restaurant with awesome dishes like Osso Bucco, Scampi, Scloppine Capriccio, etc. They are likely trying to appeal to the majority ( unlike Latittudes did) so the most obvious choice is the steak house serving surf and turf , lamb etc. and stay away from anything too ethnic. The steakhouse restaurants are very popular on other cruise lines.

I agree with those who would like more comfort foods by Regent chefs!

I'm going to put in my two cents worth again. I agree with TravelCat2 about Signatures. The escargot was fabulous, though my halibut had no real special flavor to it. Service was fabulous, but it was in Latitudes also. CP was my least favorite. Not into venison and on one cruise (I believe the Navigator in the Caribbean) had ostrich. Now how many people eat that? My guess is more would prefer Asian. So if they get rid of Latitudes (which sounds like they are), how about a sushi bar. Just an idea.

When La Veranda operates as an Italian Steakhouse, they already have osso bucco and veal chops, along with ribeyes, lasagne, fish, etc., and it surely is casual.

I always found plenty to eat in Compass Rose but do wish there were a few more choices in appetizers and soups, too. Much of the time, I do not have an entree since I get sick of fish and don't want a big slab of meat and most of the time not a small slab unless it is veal.

My overall concerns are not too much salt and enough variety.

I'm going to put in my two cents worth again. I agree with TravelCat2 about Signatures. The escargot was fabulous, though my halibut had no real special flavor to it. Service was fabulous, but it was in Latitudes also. CP was my least favorite. Not into venison and on one cruise (I believe the Navigator in the Caribbean) had ostrich. Now how many people eat that? My guess is more would prefer Asian. So if they get rid of Latitudes (which sounds like they are), how about a sushi bar. Just an idea.

Love your sushi idea -- maybe they will consider turning Signatures into a sushi restaurant. Signatures is a fairly small space. . . it would work. Sushi restaurants in major cities (at least on the east and west coast) are mobbed! It still makes no sense to have a steak restaurant and Signatures. (Glad that I'm not the only one that appreciated the escargot at Signatures!:D

Voyager Drydock: December 9-17

OK, fine, I am joining the Voyager on the 18th, my first RSSC cruise. What other changes are planned? New carpets, linens? All I read are discussions of restaurants and menus. Surely there is more.

I have tried half portions before, they just bring it all, and hard to do half portion of a veal chop. Normally, I eat about 2 oz. of meat a couple of times a month at home. That is why I do appetizers a lot for entry on a ship.

We also board the 18th on the Christmas cruise. Literally will be the first ones to see it all.

Well, it would have to be a pretty high-end sushi restaurant to attract me--sushi is just so common these days, and often so mundane. Now a really good Japanese restaurant, including a high-quality sushi bar, that would be amazing.

I agree with you. If sushi is not done well, it isn't worth it.

We have, however, very high hopes for the Silk Road Sushi Bar and Restaurant on Crystal, which we will get to taste first hand in November. :)

Steak is the same in the sense that if it is not cooked properly, if the cut is not excellent, if the meat is not flavorful, forget it. My husband buys and prepares much more flavorful steaks on our backyard grill. I really don't want to order steak on a ship. I know it won't be anywhere near as good.

So far, in many years of cruising, we would say that properly done steak that is flavorful and juicy, and attractive sushi prepared authentically by Japanese sushi chefs are (or were) two items missing from cruise menus.

We especially did not enjoy the thick but bland and boring steaks we had in the specialty restaurant on Celebrity.

From what has been described on this forum, I am fairly certain we would have preferred Latitudes to the steak house that will be offered in its place.

I am sorry it will be replaced rather than merely "revamped."

Oceans&Rivers, believe me, they have "revamped" it many times! I have been on the Voyager for 10 cruises, not including the "shake down cruise" They have always tried to keep it Asian. Like you said, nothing worth it if not well done. If we don't like it, we will just keep going to other venues while on the ship, and Regent will get the message. But no one knows yet how this new idea will be received by the passengers. We here may not truly be able to review it until it is in place!

Oceans&Rivers, believe me, they have "revamped" it many times! I have been on the Voyager for 10 cruises, not including the "shake down cruise" They have always tried to keep it Asian. Like you said, nothing worth it if not well done. If we don't like it, we will just keep going to other venues while on the ship, and Regent will get the message. But no one knows yet how this new idea will be received by the passengers. We here may not truly be able to review it until it is in place!

Well, we would love GREAT ASIAN cuisine. Or a fantastic Greek Taverna. I've never found anything like that, not even on Celebrity ships, which have Greek officers.

We are not "meat and potatoes" folk, generally. We'd love food that represented countries being visited, too.

Well, back on the vein of my original post on them wanting to do more casual options. They could do some little Asian corner for those of us disappointed in this. Surely, it would be quite different. From someone that lived in the Pacific for 4 years where almost 1/2 the people were Filipino, I was happy to taste the Filipino dishes I love at the galley lunch on Silversea, and I know there are many Asians on Voyager. I would love to see them do a few more dishes during the day if we are giving up the night thing. Some noodle bowls would be lovely. I love true ethnic dishes. I even liked the curry dish Voyager had on the room service menu in October. In fact, I had a lot of tasty items from room service. Let us hope they don't revamp all the dining too much.

Debbie -- my point has been that steak/beef food is great. What I cannot understand is Latitudes becoming a steak restaurant and Signatures being the same. We can talk about it all we want, however, Latitudes is history after drydock. My mission is to have Signatures change into a restaurant that will make passengers happy!

Archived