Voyager and Mariner Dry Dock & Other updates

The change will happen during dry dock. However, there has never been any thought to there being a charge for the new restaurant. All-inclusive is all-inclusive (with the exception of one dining venue on Silversea that many passengers are not happy with).

Unfortunately, debating this on CC is not going to make a difference. We need to provide Regent with ongoing positive as well as negative feedback. Many times, it seems easier to criticize than to compliment a cruise line. JMO

Many times, it seems easier to criticize than to compliment a cruise line. JMO

That's definitely the truth!!

We are vegetarians and sometimes had a bit of a struggle onboard the Mariner earlier this month, but soooo enjoyed the food & presentation at Latitudes.

We let them know that we would not be needing the meat dishes, and because they were intent on creating the "feast" effect, they also brought us the vegetarian menu items from Compass Rose that evening. It was above & beyond, and while we were happy with the veggie options already there in Latitudes, it did feel a bit decadent (which is not so easy to do for vegetarians, lol)!

I agree about the criticizing and spent a while looking at prime steakhouse menus all around the nation. They do have a variety, but the menus are similar to Le Veranda (which is billed as an Italian Steakhouse). I can't imagine them doing almost the same thing except making better cuts of meat. Perhaps more changes will be made. I did like Le Veranda where you could go up for the antipasto and desserts and such. I am extremely disappointed about the loss of this restaurant since I did pick the cruise over another SS just to share that and a few other experiences with my husband. I booked last fall.

The call was extensive. It was comparing Holland America specific sailings to specific Regent sailings and showing it as cheaper with a very modest liquor bill on HAL. Of course, they picked the ones with free air. I didn't mention that to open that debate about "worth it", only to mention the call was extensive in reference to it remaining free (I know this was in reference indirectly to the SS La Salatta/ChampagneRoom situation).

No matter what they try with the alternate dining, I think it is fun to try the different ones, and I like the quieter atmosphere that the smaller rooms bring.

Gee, I would prefer if it remained an Asian restaraunt. On the Auckland to LA in Dec. we ate in the old latitudes once and cancelled the rest of our times there. However in Feb.we ate there at least three times as they had changed their menu and it was great. Pat

Two things: salt. If you tell them in advance to limit the salt in Signatures (or any dining room, really), does it work?

Latitudes: I enjoyed my one meal there, but I could see that for some of our table mates, it was a stretch. Some of the older passengers were pretty hesitant about the Asian food. I liked it, although there was an overabundance of fried things, spring rolls and the like. Since we live in a big city with lots of Asian cuisine, 4 Thai places within walking distance, and a whole Vietnamese district a few streetcar stops away, Latitudes was not very special for us.

I'm not very enthusiastic about a steakhouse, but if they can add some good seafood, and rotate the menus, I'm willing to give it a try (in about 16 months, I hope!) I would actually have preferred just a good seafood restaurant, but lots of people like their steaks, I understand.

Regarding the salt, they will accomodate, but what threw me on Signatures was the fact that they always say they can't alter the menu because they are sticking to Le Cordon Bleu. However, they will alter the preparation, and my waiter offered to redo the whole meal from scratch. Next time, I am going to try telling them to limit the salt and give it another shot.

We need to provide Regent with ongoing positive as well as negative feedback. Many times, it seems easier to criticize than to compliment a cruise line. JMO

On every Voyager and Mariner cruise, we've praised Latitudes on the on-board surveys. That is where we provide feedback to Regent, not here.

P.S. My comment about the all-inclusive was drawn from the OP's post where it sounded like the briefing of the new restaurant concept included and (unnecessary) assurance that there would be no extra cost.

I've only tried Latitudes once each on the two ships. I had a wonderful meal in Voyager's Latitudes and a mediocre one in Mariner's. Could have just been how I hit them. I do enjoy Asian cuisine, but I thought the Latitudes on Mariner missed the mark.

I've also tried Signatures on both, and found them both excellent, though Mariner's was exceptional.

I'll take a wait and see approach to the steakhouse concept. Done right--as in the really upper level steakhouses--it could be worthwhile. But if it's just another venue to serve what's found on the CR menu, I don't see the point.

BillP1 you have summarised very well the limitations we felt with Latitudes on Voyager. It was a very tame Asian fusion. That said, it was still quite enjoyable and a nice change from the more standard fare in Compass Rose.

For us steak house is rather retrograde and ultra dull especially as so many are tending towards vegetarianism (if not totally). Wonder if it is a cost based decision? Or Apollo instigated? A shame really as there are so many interesting cuisines and a steak house is about bottom of our list.

We are glad we are on Aug 30 Voyager and Latitudes will be still up and running.

They could have upscaled the Asian experience, though I liked it how it was and certainly enjoyed the service. I just ate the lobster and not the other entrees, but I liked all the courses and the service and companionship aspects.

Regarding the still free, they were comparing themselves not only to Silversea but to Seabourn and Crystal and pointed to them as their cmpetitors. Both Crystal and Silversea have non-free experiences with wine pairings. Of course, nobody mentioned wine pairings on this call. I have a feeling the true details of the new dining is not going to come out until it is already implemented or close to it. That is what they did in the past go-round.

It is interesting to read so many varying reports on the type of Asian cuisine that is served in Latitudes. We enjoyed it both on the Mariner and Voyager -- found the staff a bit more fun on the Mariner. Their take on Asian food was quite different than I have experienced either at home (Los Angeles) or in Asia. Perhaps it was a bit too unique for many Regent passengers.

There are also changes on the horizon (during drydock) in La Veranda on the Mariner (side note: on our May Alaska cruise, it was transformed into a delightful Alaskan restaurant -- excellent fish). IMO, they need to do something with the space. There is not room at lunch to move past each other in the buffet area. It is just designed poorly. During our meetings with Regent execs. on board, they weren't as specific with La Veranda as they were with Latitudes. I look forward to all of the changes they are making on the Voyager and Mariner.:)

It begs one to wonder if they haven't been specific with Le Veranda because the haven't figured out the design yet or because they aren't doing anything much.

I know on Voyager, my first two impressions were negative - the not so special embarkation and dealing with my own bags vs. what I was used to on Silversea and that line out the door of people herded to try to get to lunch before it closed after traveling to the ship. After that, everything was wonderful, but a person should not feel stress in a dining experience on a luxury ship.

We like the idea of a great steakhouse. I have never had a "great" steak on Regent. The steakhouse on Oceania is wonderful. I am not into Asian food but my husband is. Made a reservation once at Latitudes but ended up cancelling. Every time we walked by there it was half full. Maybe the Cruise Critic people liked it better than others. As for the ice cream and pizza; take it or leave it. Gives an option and a nice change after so many days of gourmet meals. Everyone can find something they like.

If they decide to go "Steakhouse" I hope they go "Grill." I agree, with Judy that I've never had a "great" steak on any commercial ship. Best was a flight deck BBQ on the Dubuque the same summer Armstrong walked on the moon. A Grill would allow Regent to still exploit the "open kitchen" concept AND allow for great grilled fish, haven't seen that on menu in CR or signatures. Also allows for chicken, grilled lamb chops or pork chops (both double cut of course), shrimp, and kabob type things. The feature would be "cut to order steaks" and grilled fresh fish (could be location driven). The catch (no pun intended) is the hardest thing that I know of to do well on a grill is fish of any kind. The limited footprint of Latitudes might allow something like this to be pulled off successfully.

Greg

I remember on one of our recent Silversea cruises dining at a hosted table. One of the tablemates were a couple who had never sailed. She was angry that he had booked the trip as a surprise, and she said she stewed for 2 months worrying about what he would eat and that it would be unhealthy. I could see more of this with heavier options. I expect they will have some options and would hope for tasty veggies and gourmet salad courses, along with some creative appetizers. I am hoping here since it seems to be a done deal coming in December before we board that month.

It seems to me that any movement AWAY from Asian and/or vegetarian and TOWARDS red meat is a move that is inconsistent with the times and will likely be less attractive to most people.

Even if I didn't care for the unique offerings of Latitudes (which we all happened to appreciate quite a bit, in our group), in this day and age, with so many wonderful, more healthful, fresh, and unique options from which they can choose for a themed restaurant, a "steakhouse" (of any kind) sounds retro and boring to me.

Who is giving them this feedback? And if guests have been negative about Latitudes in the past, how does that translate to more meat (and potatoes) options?

In FP on a galley tour, the chef explained to us that the food was supposedly prepared to be more bland to "please the American preferences." I didn't get that either.

It's not going to keep me from rebooking Regent, but it is just always a bit sad to hear about changes that truly feel like a step back instead of a fresh, new, forward thinking concept. But can't have everything, so i guess CR & LV it is, from now on!

Steakhouses are the new "In" thing on ships. One of Azamara's alternative restaurants is called "Prime C." Hmmm. Steakhouses also sell more wine than Asian venues and customers are more willing to buy up from the complimentary house wine. Makes business sense and this is a business.

I for one adore red meats and get soooo fed up with other people saying how bad it is for you and trying to get us all to eat lettice. If I was meant to live on greenery I would have been born with buck teeth. We are all individuals and to have a choice is what people enjoy. I cannot eat fish as I am allergic to it and I certainly don't want to be dictated to as to what I should eat and what would be 'good for me'

Give me a fillet with a wonderful blue cheese sauce followed by a decadent dessert...........now thats living!!!:D :D

Obviously, there are people (such as us) who love Lattitudes and think that putting in a steak house is a bad idea, and those who love the idea of a steakhouse. Whichever way we feel, it seems to be a done deal.

This thread should go back to discussing what changes, other than the restaurant change, will take place during the dry docks.

Archived