Anyone going in 2008/9?

soraya

We are booked on the Corinthian II for December 2008. We booked as soon as the 2008/9 rates were published. We wanted the Corinthian II - small luxurary ship - and we needed to get the cheapest cabin. We wanted to take this trip for years and just decided to close our eyes and jump.

We took Celebrity's Xpedition to the Galapagos December 2005. We loved it. Wilcoam's comment about the food was pretty much correct, but we never went hungry and we didn't go for the food. We met great fellow passengers and still vacation with one couple. Celebrity really took great care of us. We were glad we got to see a little of Quito, but we are easy to please. Throw us on a bus, show us the highlights, and don't make us worry about logistics and we are happy campers.

We are hoping for a repeat of that same experience on the Corinthian II. Our only concern is getting out of NY in late December. We are going a day early and taking a direct flight from NY to Buenos Aires. We don't want to miss this boat and we want to go with our bags.

Barbara

Barbara, I sincerely hope that you enjoy your cruise to Antarctica and will come back to tell us all about it. I am booked on C2 one year after you sail and would appreciate hearing your impressions about the ship.

I appreciate your concern about getting out of NY in December. Even tho' I am a native Texan, our family got iced in in January at DFW Airport back in the day. We were on the way to San Juan to join the ship. Who knew? When I fly to BA nonstop, I'll book the hotel at least 2 days ahead of flight and sail time.

Happy sails,

Ruby

Hi.

I will absolutely post something here.

I booked w/A&K. I wanted to go on an ice breaker but the single supplement put the costs out of my reach. For whatever reason, the single supplement w/A&K is significantly lower than all of the other operators that I was able to find and on any type of ship. So far, the service has been good and the material arrived when and as, promised.

Hi.

I will absolutely post something here.

I booked w/A&K. I wanted to go on an ice breaker but the single supplement put the costs out of my reach. For whatever reason, the single supplement w/A&K is significantly lower than all of the other operators that I was able to find and on any type of ship. So far, the service has been good and the material arrived when and as, promised.

DH and I are going with A&K as well. For some reason they were less than Regent when we separated out the air. I was also uncomfortable wiring money as required on the ice breakers and this was about the same price.

Here's a message I got from Quark this morning ... it's for the longer itinerary that includes South Georgia and the Falklands as well as the Peninsula ... for November. With the cost of fuel and everything, I guess it's not surprising that they still have availability for their Nov 2008 sailing ... our January 2007 sailing was sold out at least 9 months before departure.

Would jump on this if I could ... but we're headed to see polar bears in Churchill this year. Thought I'd post in case someone can take advantage of the free air.

"We value your participation in our online community. So when a major airline consolidator suggested that we work together, we asked them to help us to do something special for our community members.

We are delighted to offer you free roundtrip economy air transportation from select major gateways to Ushuaia, Argentina, when you purchase a berth at full rate aboard Ocean Nova's November 2-21, 2008 departure. This 20-day voyage sails from Ushuaia to the Antarctic Pensinsula, South Georgia and the Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas).

This offer represents a savings of approximately $3,000 a couple from North America or $5,000 per couple from Europe. Savings from Oceania, Asia and Africa could be greater.

Please note that this offer is applicable to new bookings only, and that some conditions may apply. Space is limited, so call us today to book your Antarctic expedition: 1-800-356-5699 or +1-203-852-5580."

• 2 months later...
Hi there Soraya,

Wellingtons (gum boots in my lingo) are usually provided by the ship. They were on my last sailing on the Nordkapp and will be again on the Minerva.

Last time I packed a Goretex jacket - this time around I'll make do with the tour provided wind/waterproof jacket. Otherwise you end up with two in the suitcase at the end of the cruise.

I'm also leaving fleece behind this time and using my down jackets - much lighter, warmer and take up less room in suitcase.

Other changes I'm making - thin pair of gloves (I'm a photographer), with an outer glove to improve dexterity with the camera. My heavy gloves with an integrated lining didn't suit what I needed to do outside taking photos.

Also changing my hat/cap to one with ear flaps, no matter how silly I look. I like to spend a lot of time outside, the effect of wind whistling through one ear and out the other isn't very sustainable I discovered. :D

I'm also changing my footwear - I never take more than 3 pairs of shoes, last time I took my heavy hiking boots and wore them outside. They were warm, but too heavy to be clumping around the ship. So I'm going to swap them for a mid-weight trail shoe that will do me for the hiking after the cruise.

No change to the thermals and waterproof pants - they are needed for the zodiac transfers (never got wet), but are more useful for the landing and dealing with snow slips and penguin poo encounters.

I found the ships always well heated - tshirt inside, so layers are a must for dealing with the inside/outside.

Most of the ships have laundry facilities (the Nordkapp and Minerva certainly do), so no need to take 3 weeks worth of clothes!

As I'm a serious photog, I spend a lot of time outside - it may be different for you. My camera bag will also weigh more than my suitcase! :p

Cheers

I am waiting to hear about your trip on Minerva. When do you get back to Australia? Do you have any idea what time A&K plans on having that reception in BA? I thought I was told its around 6:00pm. We may miss the reception (plus the city tour) if we leave BA for the day.

As far as the photography, I consider myself a photographer but only recently switched to digital after using a Nikon FM for over 30 years. Are you bringing a monopod?

I am waiting to hear about your trip on Minerva. When do you get back to Australia? Do you have any idea what time A&K plans on having that reception in BA? I thought I was told its around 6:00pm. We may miss the reception (plus the city tour) if we leave BA for the day.

As far as the photography, I consider myself a photographer but only recently switched to digital after using a Nikon FM for over 30 years. Are you bringing a monopod?

Hi there Soraya,

The November 22 sailing I was on has been cancelled, so I am now on the 19 December sailing or thereabouts. Is that the sailing that you are on?

I will not be in BA for the start of the trip - I will be joining in Ushuaia as my itinerary has completely changed around to fit the cruise date. i am sailing on the Mare Australis from Punta Arenas. I leave Australia on the 16th of Nov and return on the 15th of Jan :-). With the state of the Aussie dollar I'll be panhandling on the streets of Buenos Aires post cruise.

I will probably take my tripod and use a Gitzo trekker as a monopod. It's a bit lighter than a mono, and I can also use it hiking in Patagonia.

13 working days to go!

Cheers

Hi there Soraya,

The November 22 sailing I was on has been cancelled, so I am now on the 19 December sailing or thereabouts. Is that the sailing that you are on?

I will not be in BA for the start of the trip - I will be joining in Ushuaia as my itinerary has completely changed around to fit the cruise date. i am sailing on the Mare Australis from Punta Arenas. I leave Australia on the 16th of Nov and return on the 15th of Jan :-). With the state of the Aussie dollar I'll be panhandling on the streets of Buenos Aires post cruise.

I will probably take my tripod and use a Gitzo trekker as a monopod. It's a bit lighter than a mono, and I can also use it hiking in Patagonia.

13 working days to go!

Cheers

I am not Soraya but am leaving the US the first week of February. I haven't really heard anything about this trip. At the time I booked I liked the ship based on photos and it was the only one I could find with landings that would take a credit card (yes I know now there is now the Fram and Prince Albert II). I believe there is a blog on the Minerva somewhere so I will check it out. We plan to go to Chile and Easter Island at some point so let me know about the Mare Australis?

I am not Soraya but am leaving the US the first week of February. I haven't really heard anything about this trip. At the time I booked I liked the ship based on photos and it was the only one I could find with landings that would take a credit card (yes I know now there is now the Fram and Prince Albert II). I believe there is a blog on the Minerva somewhere so I will check it out. We plan to go to Chile and Easter Island at some point so let me know about the Mare Australis?

The Mare and Via Australis ply the Chilean fjords between Punta Arenas and Ushuaia. I was originally sailing the Via Australis from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas and the Mare back (they have slightly different itineraries), but the re-org of my travel plans has put paid to that. Both ships take a max of 200 passengers, so it should be the same sort of 'feel' as the Minerva. I believe the Australis ships also do zodiac landings where possible as well. The website is Cruceros Australis: http://www.australis.com.

(Actually having checked the website, the Mare only has 64 cabins, 128 pax max)

Cheers

Hi there Soraya,

13 working days to go!

Sounds like you've had quite a mess up with your travel plans. Maybe December will be a better time of the year.

I'm looking foward to seeing your beautiful photos. Bon Voyage.

Hi there Soraya,

13 working days to go!

Cheers

Also, the Minerva trip was canceled, or was it chartered? This sounds like a mess to re-arrange flights/ships. Plus if your using different companies you run into one or the being in a penalty phase as far as payment. It sounds like you worked this out. So, are you cruising the Chilean Fjords to Ushuaia and then catching the Minerva and flying back to BA?

Also, the Minerva trip was canceled, or was it chartered? This sounds like a mess to re-arrange flights/ships. Plus if your using different companies you run into one or the being in a penalty phase as far as payment. It sounds like you worked this out. So, are you cruising the Chilean Fjords to Ushuaia and then catching the Minerva and flying back to BA?

The Minerva has gone into unscheduled dry dock, so the November sailing was cancelled. Yes, it was a complete nightmare, however A&K have been outstanding. I am cruising from Punta Arenas through the fjords to Ushuaia, waiting a couple of days for the Minerva's 19 December sailing, then flying back to BA at the end, for 10 days, while I 'wait' for my flight home.

Cheers

The Minerva has gone into unscheduled dry dock, so the November sailing was cancelled. Yes, it was a complete nightmare, however A&K have been outstanding. I am cruising from Punta Arenas through the fjords to Ushuaia, waiting a couple of days for the Minerva's 19 December sailing, then flying back to BA at the end, for 10 days, while I 'wait' for my flight home.

Cheers

Wow. I had no idea. Do you have any idea what happened to Minerva and when this all happened? When did Minerva go into Drydock and what are they fixing? I had not read anything about it.

I hope you got a great deal on your rescheduled cruise.

Hi, I read that the Minerva has been having generator problems and been suffering blackouts over the summer. A&K had chartered it from Voyages of Discovery and VoD have been having problems with another ship and waited a long time to fix it, so perhaps they weren't repeating that mistake.

I read speculation that the Minerva was in an Italian shipyard but haven't seen any details.

Going to Antarctica December 2008... On the Marco Polo.

Anyone know how the temperature will be like there?

And I come from Bahrain where the temperature in the summer is usually 49-50 degrees celsius. Some people I know keep insisting there is some medication I have to take before going to a very cold place? BTW in the winter it gets down to 10 degrees here once even 5 so is there anything I need to do??

Help Appreciated :)

Anyone know how the temperature will be like there?

And I come from Bahrain where the temperature in the summer is usually 49-50 degrees celsius. Some people I know keep insisting there is some medication I have to take before going to a very cold place? BTW in the winter it gets down to 10 degrees here once even 5 so is there anything I need to do??

Hi there, I'm assuming the Marco Polo will offer shore landings, so this is offered in that context. You will need warm, wind proof clothing. It is the wind that makes it really cold. If the ship doesn't offer parkas, you'll need a waterproof jacket for the shore landings, as well as waterproof overpants. Hat, gloves, muffler, scarf etc also needed. Layers are the way to go - the ship will be overheated, so watch going in from being cold outside to warm inside. The ship *should* provide gumboots/wellingtons for landings, but it pays to check!

I can't speak to medication for hot to cold climates, however you will need seasickness medication of some sort. Even hardened sailors get seasick in a rough Drake Crossing. And sunscreen. I lost count of the foolish people on my trip who got sunburnt! 30+ protection is a must.

In terms of weather, it was -5 to +5 degress celsius when I was there. The windchill takes it a bit lower.

Cheers

BTW in the winter it gets down to 10 degrees here once even 5 so is there anything I need to do??

I recommend my strategy - build lots of body fat.

It's more fun than buying clothes.

I recommend my strategy - build lots of body fat. It's more fun than buying clothes.

Now I understand that, over the years, I've been preparing for a cruise to Antarctica. Based on diebroke's advice, I'll be packing a light sweater and gloves.

Ruby

Thanks for the "packing" tips! I'm going on the Minerva Jan 25 sailing (with Regent). Traveling alone - for the trip of a lifetime!

Anyone else on board?

Margo

Margo, no. But we will be on Minerva in February in Antarctica. I'm still waiting for someone to post about this trip.

Btw, does Regent have guests stay at the InterContinental in BA pre-cruise? I thought perhaps A&K took care of a lot of the arrangements for Regent on this cruise since they have offices in South America.

Hi there, I'm assuming the Marco Polo will offer shore landings, so this is offered in that context. You will need warm, wind proof clothing. It is the wind that makes it really cold. If the ship doesn't offer parkas, you'll need a waterproof jacket for the shore landings, as well as waterproof overpants. Hat, gloves, muffler, scarf etc also needed. Layers are the way to go - the ship will be overheated, so watch going in from being cold outside to warm inside. The ship *should* provide gumboots/wellingtons for landings, but it pays to check!

Cheers

We were on the Marco Polo in January, 06.

You will be given a Parka to wear on the Zodiac landings.

We wore ski pants, with thermal underwear.

Ski pants water-proof and wind-proof.

You will have to bring your own boots.

Ship may not have your size.

We wore two pair of wool socks with the boots; no shoes.

Temperature was about 30 deg. F. when we were there.

Fantastic trip:D

Archived