Post your favorite picture from Alaska thread

SFAM

Everyones pictures are so beautiful!

I am counting down the minutes to our August cruise and this is helping to feed my obsession :D

This is my favorite from our 2007 HAL cruise -

taken in Juneau at the Juneau Raptor Center kiosk on Mt Roberts of 'Spirit' who they were trying to rehab

alaska8.jpg.578ad0232e7c3d5c1259873d121a8bd8.jpg

Some pictures from years ago

Orthodox church and priest's house, Unalaska

unalaskachurchhousesmall.jpg

Hi Gardyloo,

Just wanted to tell you how much I love this photo - it is such a great picture to get lost in. Thank you so much for posting it!

Were you on a cruise when you visited Unalaska? I really would love to visit Unalaska/Dutch Harbor but I didn't think any cruises went there - only the ferry.

Eve

We first visited Alaska in late May 2008 and our cruise did not go to Glacier Bay. We still wanted to see it and chose to do a FlightSeeing out of Icy Strait Point with Wings of Alaska. It's impossible to choose just one; so I have hopefully done a short slide show, showing the perspective from the air of the upper mountain peaks; the path of the glacier going down into Glacier Bay and finally a shot of the glacier actually calving. If anyone knows what glacier it is, please let me know! Hope this works:

http://picasaweb.google.com/TASharon1/GlacierBayFlightseeingAdventure?feat=directlink

WOW, some unique shots, especially the glacier calving from the air!

Thanks! You know a really great part of doing the flightseeing is that I realize so few people see the area from that perspective. I have so many pics from that flightseeing trip, it was hard to pick just one...oops, I mean a few; I just couldn't pick one!

• 1 month later...
Hi Gardyloo,

Just wanted to tell you how much I love this photo - it is such a great picture to get lost in. Thank you so much for posting it!

Were you on a cruise when you visited Unalaska? I really would love to visit Unalaska/Dutch Harbor but I didn't think any cruises went there - only the ferry.

Eve

Hi Eve, sorry I missed this post last month. Glad you liked the picture. There's a (too long for here) story that goes with it, involving a cache of dual-language (Slavonic and Aleut) prayer books discovered in a century-long locked closet.

No cruise, I worked all over the Alaska Peninsula and Aleutian chain in the 1970s and 1980s, helping the villages and local Aleut organizations with housing and local government development.

A few high-end cruises call at Unalaska occasionally - here's this year's list from the City - http://*****.com/czsafb. Mostly they're repositioning transpacific cruises. I've spent a lot of time on boats along the chain and in the Bering, and frankly I'd be just a little hesitant to take a big cruise ship through those waters, unless one is a very sturdy big-water cruiser.

To resize pictures try a google for image resizer powertoy. Its a very small program you install on your computer then any picture you can right click and make it one of four sizes available. I use it all the time. You don't have to keep the copy, but you can use it to email or post, then delete the smaller image.

Found the site. Scroll down, its on the right side.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

To resize pictures try a google for image resizer powertoy. Its a very small program you install on your computer then any picture you can right click and make it one of four sizes available. I use it all the time. You don't have to keep the copy, but you can use it to email or post, then delete the smaller image.

Found the site. Scroll down, its on the right side.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

These are powertoys for WindowsXP. Will the image resizer work with Vista? Are you using it with Vista?

I am using XP, but surely it will work with Vista. Its on a microsoft site and they would tell you if it didnt. Try it. You will love it. Its a little toy...always right at your fingertips...the really small size works good for your picture in MSN messenger or to send to your cellphone.

I am using XP, but surely it will work with Vista. Its on a microsoft site and they would tell you if it didnt. Try it. You will love it. Its a little toy...always right at your fingertips...the really small size works good for your picture in MSN messenger or to send to your cellphone.

I tried installing the program on my computer and got a message that it is incompatible with Vista. That's too bad because it would be a nice utility to have.

Thanks guys for all of these great pictures. It makes me even more anxious to get on my cruise - June 1, Coral Princess... Some of these pictures look professional to me.... I like the little sea otter - he looked like he was waving.

:)

My first time uploading a photo to share on CC...I hope it works.

Here is one of our favorites...such incomparable beauty, an inspiring place!

We sailed on the Coral Princess June/July 2008...one of the best trips we've ever had...

Jennifer & David

791734848_AlaskaCanada2008199.jpg.71d6563f28cb51e66edf1d23aa8b28e3.jpg

I have to say this thread was the perfect end to an almost perfect afternoon. These photos are absolutely to die for. I am so envious of everyone, but I will be there soon. Beautiful!

I think my mouth flew open on a couple shots. Jenbo, that shot of the boat with mtns in the backdrop was AWEsome!!!

Yukon - the pix of the whale with it's mouth open scared me. :eek:

I seriously think my heart would stop if I saw something THAT big so close up. I can't remember all of the photos and the names that go along with them but WHAT A WONDERFUL THREAD!!!!

This pic was taken at the end of our whale watch / wildlife tour with Rum Runner Charters in Juneau - June 2007. I can't wait to try my new picture taking toy this summer while we are there.

2312670470091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

A Sea Otter and her pup we encountered on our way in from a great day of Halibut fishing in Katchemak Bay close to Homer, Alaska - June 2006.

2284858490091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

COME ON JULY.....................................

Diverearl, your eagle pic is truly magnificent!! I am impressed with how sharp it is and how great the color looks. Do you remember what kind of settings you used on your camera? Does it have image stabilization, did you use a faster ISO? I am concerned, aka afraid, if i don't get it right the first time, I won't get another chance. Of all the wildlife that folks post about in Alaska, I want to get some great eagle shots, then I can be a happy camper!!

While I have many scenic shots, many beautiful pictures have already been posted. I took this macro shot in 2005 in Juneau. I don't know, it's just one of my favorites. We're making our second trip this August.

1375636587_AlaskaSerenadept2009.jpg.899573f38ef2da9ef403a14f2d349cfd.jpg

Archived