Post your favorite picture from Alaska thread

SFAM

These pictures are all so beautiful.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out which town I'm thinking about that I saw previously in a picture. It was just a small intimate little town that from the picture didn't have any big buildings but more like small shops, galleries and restaurants. I was thinking for a while that it was Ketchikan but now when I see pictures of how it is over the water, I'm not sure, but it could have just been a different view. It sort of sounds like descriptions of Skagway or the description of Haines that sort of relates it to the feel of the old T.V. show "Northern Exposure" also. If it rings a bell for anyone, please let me know. Thanks.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out which town I'm thinking about that I saw previously in a picture. It was just a small intimate little town that from the picture didn't have any big buildings but more like small shops, galleries and restaurants. I was thinking for a while that it was Ketchikan but now when I see pictures of how it is over the water, I'm not sure, but it could have just been a different view. It sort of sounds like descriptions of Skagway or the description of Haines that sort of relates it to the feel of the old T.V. show "Northern Exposure" also. If it rings a bell for anyone, please let me know. Thanks.

Haines is the only port that we visited on any of our AK cruises that doesn't have the "outside" shops such as jewelry stores and souvenir shops. Where the ship docks is devoid of anything commercial. The town is several blocks away and hasn't been contaminated by tourism yet.

How long ago was your cruise? My parents cruised to Alaska more than 20 years ago, and then went back last year and were very disappointed in Ketchikan. It was very build up since then. Could you be thinking of Creek Street in Ketchikan?

How long ago was your cruise? My parents cruised to Alaska more than 20 years ago, and then went back last year and were very disappointed in Ketchikan. It was very build up since then. Could you be thinking of Creek Street in Ketchikan?

I may have worded my question poorly. I haven't been to Alaska yet. It was a picture that I saw here and now I can't figure out which town it was. I've been searching through everything trying to find that picture again. I'll run across that picture again one day when I've forgotten all about it. Thanks for trying.

Only a few more (promise)!

Glacier Bay (Marjorie Glacier):

IMG_1783.JPG?imgmax=640

College Fjord:

IMG_2091.JPG?imgmax=640

Denali- 30 feet from the bus!

IMG_0116.JPG?imgmax=640

Looking at photos in the months before our trip really got us excited. I hope this pays it forward!

Very nice pictures!

If you're ready to go back I'll take you along with us next Tuesday and you can be our "official photographer".

From one liite-weight SoCal to another...how was the weather? More importantly...any further suggestions on attire? I't looks like our SoCal "cabana-wear" just ain't gonna cut it this year.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos!!

The breaching humpback (we saw a pod of 5 orcas too) was with Harv & Marv in Juneau. Our guide Pete (Harv) had the uncanny ability to know where the action would be. The whale in the photo breached every 2 minutes or so, and the show went on for 15 minutes. Pete got everyone's OK, and we hung around longer and double-timed it back to port. Another whale tour on a larger purple boat sailed right past the action without stopping. They were a rigidly scheduled cruiseline excursion.

kk-l OK, I will meet you at the airport on Tuesday! It rained every morning except in Skagway, with low clouds and fog. (The boat photo was taken in a downpour). The clouds lifted by noon, but after Vancouver we didn't see the sun until College Fjord. The weather situation improved in ANC and Denali. Temps were 55-65 the entire trip but we never felt cold.

My teen son and my daily uniform was t-shirt, jeans, sweatshirt or hoody, and a hooded, lightweight, waterproof windbreaker. Also, knit ski caps. We wore nice sneakers on the boat and old hiking shoes (not boots) on shore. Even walking around in town can be wet and muddy. We never used our gloves or scarves and only wore our long johns once for whitewater rafting.

Polo shirt and jeans or slacks worked fine on board. In retrospect we would have eaten in the Lido on formal nights and avoided packing a whole set of formal wear. Of course if you enjoy dressing up, go for it!! Sorry I don't have women's apparrel suggestions since it was just us guys.

Have a great trip, we want to hear about it when you return. Sorry everyone for the thread hijack.

That gives me a very good idea of what we'll need. I think I we've got it covered...thanks!!! The temperatures seem reasonable...even for us SoCal lite-weights.

The rain didn't seem to deter you. I've been talking with photo people and they say some of the best shots can come on overcast days. You certainly have some memorable pictures.

On our small ship it's strictly casual the whole way...fleece at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Kinda like camping out on a cruise ship...definitely my idea of roughing it. Not a lot of bells and whistles...just nature up close and personal.

Thanks again for your help. I'll report back upon my return. :)

I apologize for the highjacking as well...still not up on all the etiquette of these boards.

The rain didn't seem to deter you. I've been talking with photo people and they say some of the best shots can come on overcast days. You certainly have some memorable pictures.

Thanks again for the photo comment. I've heard the blue in the glaciers is more vivid on overcast days.

I'm envious that you're taking Cruise West and will definitely consider them next time. They seem like a good way to explore the area in more depth.

The rain is a blessing in disguise; a lot of cruise passengers don't stray too far from the dock and that makes other areas less crowded. The only time the rain was a nuisance was when our Ketchikan walking map got wet and turned to oatmeal.

Thanks again for the photo comment. I've heard the blue in the glaciers is more vivid on overcast days.

I have pictures posted at the link below taken at Hubbard Glacier 1st on a cloudy day with a little rain and then on a beautiful sunny day. You can see the blue ice in both sets of pictures but it is more intense and striking on the cloudy day.

Were you maybe thinking of Talkeetna? We just loved this little town and were there 2 nights. There were maybe 2 dozen shops and restaraunts and I have heard that Northern Exposure was patterned after this town. Of course you probably hear that about numerous towns. Joan

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but wanted to ask cruisejunkyjoan if she posted a review of her trip and I just missed it. Very interested to hear how everything went! :)

Stired...I really enjoyed your photos on Webshots of your Alaska cruise...beautiful made me feel like I was there. Thanks for sharing. :D

I am SO glad you enjoyed them. I remember when I was planning my 1st trip, I would look at everyone's pictures and get so excited (actually, I still do! :p)

I am SO glad you enjoyed them. I remember when I was planning my 1st trip, I would look at everyone's pictures and get so excited (actually, I still do! :p)

I do the same thing...and it is a lot of the fun of getting ready for the cruise. We are so excited about our upcoming Alaska cruise and know that we will probably wnat to go again...:D

Archived