Tampa Information

yogimax

There is no car rental at the station. Call Enterprise and they will pick you up. I also just read they lowered the price on Weekend rentals. The station itself is safe. They have a security guard on premises and plenty of staff. The surrounding are is a little dicey, but there is no reason to be walking around the area. But you are only 5 minutes to the pier or Ybor City in either direction.
Marci, don't cheap out and go to the Red Roof. Check out the places I told you about on the other thread. Or go to Price Line and bid $75 for a 3 or 4 star for West Shore, Rocky Point or Downtown. You cant go wrong, and one of the hotels will take your offer.
You can use a Carnival wheelchair to get onboard, but not for regular use onboard. I dont know if all cabins have robes, but my balcony cabin on the Legend last year DID have robes. Embarkation is supposed to start around 1:00 PM, but folks post on here all the time about 10:30A.M. embarkations all the time.
Mark

[quote=dd's mom;15897295]3 questions:

2) Do all cabins offer robes?

3) Has anyone had any experience being allowed to use a carnival wheelchair for elderly cruisers?

Thanks,
dd's mom[/quote]

On Our July sailing in the Med. they had robes in all cabins and a cc friend rented a wheel chair on board for a $50.00 deposit. They were allowed to take it off the boat in the ports and when they returned it at the end of the cruise they received their deposit back.

DW and I will be in Tampa on October 4 to sail on the Legend the next day. Our group has space at both the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point and the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown, but we aren't decided on any specific hotel and are perfectly fine striking out on our own. This one will be a little different though.

See, I'm a beer geek. I like drinking craft beer and am hoping to find some spots in Tampa for lunch and/or dinner that will have a good selection. We aren't planning on renting a car so would need to find something within range of a hotel shuttle. I do hear that the Total Wine has a good beer selection so we'll be looking to stop by there as well for some goodies for the week. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas of what would work for us?

[quote name='Doughboy77']DW and I will be in Tampa on October 4 to sail on the Legend the next day. Our group has space at both the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point and the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown, but we aren't decided on any specific hotel and are perfectly fine striking out on our own. This one will be a little different though.

See, I'm a beer geek. I like drinking craft beer and am hoping to find some spots in Tampa for lunch and/or dinner that will have a good selection. We aren't planning on renting a car so would need to find something within range of a hotel shuttle. I do hear that the Total Wine has a good beer selection so we'll be looking to stop by there as well for some goodies for the week. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas of what would work for us?[/quote]

There is a relatively new place called Taps; it's in the Skypoint Condo building on Ashley in the downtown area. They have an abundance of imports, micros, and craft beers on tap (also an extensive selection of wines by the glass). I don't know what they offer in the way of food.

In the Channelside complex, the bowling alley (Splitsville) has a good selection of imports & some microbrews, as well as good food (pizzas, sushi, burgers - it's an upscale bowling alley). The Thai restaurant has some asian imports (Singha is very good if you've never had it). There is also a wine shop in Channelside that sells a decent selection of imports & some of the more well-known microbrews (Anchor, Shipyard, Rogue, Lost Coast).

In Ybor City, the Tampa Bay Brewing Company is a pretty good brewpub & their food is good. Most of the other bars in Ybor primarily carry the big American brews (which they sell cheap) & a couple of the major imports.

[quote name='BTSEN5']can anyone tell me if there is a reputable car rental company near the Amtrak Station on Nebraska Avenue?

If not, how much would a cab cost to get to the airport for one?

Also, is the Amtrak station in a fairly safe area?

Thanks so much for your help. I will be traveling with my mom.[/quote]

Cab fare from the Amtrak station to the airport will be about $25 (per cab, not per person).

I just called the station and they said Enterprise and Avis are the two rental companies that pick up passengers there. Thus there is no reason to take a taxi to the airport! unless you like spending extra money on cabs!:rolleyes:
The HoJo is closer to the pier, but the Holiday Inn is in a really nice area, its a nicer hotel, and I believe they offer free transfers, or low cost ones to pier and airport.
Mark

[quote name='SeaPA1']There is a relatively new place called Taps; it's in the Skypoint Condo building on Ashley in the downtown area. They have an abundance of imports, micros, and craft beers on tap (also an extensive selection of wines by the glass). I don't know what they offer in the way of food.

In the Channelside complex, the bowling alley (Splitsville) has a good selection of imports & some microbrews, as well as good food (pizzas, sushi, burgers - it's an upscale bowling alley). The Thai restaurant has some asian imports (Singha is very good if you've never had it). There is also a wine shop in Channelside that sells a decent selection of imports & some of the more well-known microbrews (Anchor, Shipyard, Rogue, Lost Coast).

In Ybor City, the Tampa Bay Brewing Company is a pretty good brewpub & their food is good. Most of the other bars in Ybor primarily carry the big American brews (which they sell cheap) & a couple of the major imports.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Tampa Bay Brewing sounds quite promising but the bowling would be fun as well. From what I understand, Channelside and Ybor City aren't that close to each other, correct? If so, would either of our group hotels be close to one of those areas? (Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point or Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown) Also, is Taps close to either Ybor City or Channelside?

Thanks for bearing with my questions.

[quote name='tourlink99']My fellow Tampa experts, I was just wondering where you are located? I'm in Tampa, right off Dale Mabry in Carrollwood!
Mark[/quote]

I'm about 40 miles north, in Dade City - but I spend a good bit of time in the downtown & channel areas.

[quote name='Doughboy77']Thanks for the advice. Tampa Bay Brewing sounds quite promising but the bowling would be fun as well. From what I understand, Channelside and Ybor City aren't that close to each other, correct? If so, would either of our group hotels be close to one of those areas? (Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point or Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown) Also, is Taps close to either Ybor City or Channelside?

Thanks for bearing with my questions.[/QUOTE]

Channelside and Ybor are connected by a short trolley ride. I would not walk between the two but the trolley gets you over there in less than 10 minutes.

Rocky Point is NOT close to downtown (see earlier posts). Channelside is considered downtown, so the Hojo would obviously be closest. Taps is downtown too.

[quote name='Doughboy77']Thanks for the advice. Tampa Bay Brewing sounds quite promising but the bowling would be fun as well. From what I understand, Channelside and Ybor City aren't that close to each other, correct? If so, would either of our group hotels be close to one of those areas? (Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point or Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown) Also, is Taps close to either Ybor City or Channelside?

Thanks for bearing with my questions.[/quote]

Channelside & Ybor are a few miles apart, but are connected by the Trolley cars; it's a pleasant ride, 5 or 10 minutes. They run regularly starting early in the morning until fairly late at night (later on weekends). Fare is a couple bucks per person, one way - or you can buy a day pass for about $4.

The HoJo Downtown is signficantly closer to Channelside & Ybor. (probably only a mile or 2 from Channelside; HI,RP is 5 miles or so). The HoJo is pretty close to Taps, only a couple of blocks away.

Of the points we're discussing, Rocky Point is the furthest west, very close to the airport. Traveling east, you'd come to the downtown area next (a few miles to the east from the RP area). Channel district is east of downtown, Ybor north/northeast of the Channel district.

With what you're looking to do, probably either hotel would work. You could take a taxi from the hotel to Channelside, the trolley to Ybor, and a cab back (or vice versa - cab to Ybor, trolley to Channelside, cab back).

If you look at Google maps & drill into Tampa:
*Rocky Point is near the airport
*HoJo Downtown is right by the Performing Arts Center
*Channelside is near the Tampa Convetion Center or the Ice Palace/St Pete Times Forum
*Ybor, I believe is marked as such when you zoom to a few levels above Tampa.

resstation and SeaPA1,

Thank you for your advice, you're making it much easier for me to decide on a hotel and a plan of attack for when we get to Tampa. I appreciate you taking the time to share your local knowledge. People like you are one of the best things CC has going for it. :cool:

[quote name='Doughboy77']resstation and SeaPA1,

Thank you for your advice, you're making it much easier for me to decide on a hotel and a plan of attack for when we get to Tampa. I appreciate you taking the time to share your local knowledge. People like you are one of the best things CC has going for it. :cool:[/QUOTE]

My pleasure. In my younger days I was a concierge manager for a 4 star hotel, then a corporate concierge manager for Andersen Consulting in Tampa and just a few years ago a remote concierge for Onstar! Its in my blood. If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. There are several local people on this board that are extremely helpful. Its been a while since I have been out and about in the area - I'm a stay at home Mom now (and loving it).

Channelside and Ybor City are very close to each other. Its at most a 10 minute trolley ride. The Hojo is closer to those locations. About 10 minutes by cab. Lots of activities in both areas, restaurants, clubs, comedy club, movies and just an interesting ambiance.

SeaPa1, I go to Dade City, St Leo and St Joes almost every week. I had brunch at Limoges a little while back, only next time I'll dye my hair blue.:D

But today I was in Clearwater and Palm Harbor. Hey Res, was that you waving at me as I drove by.
Mark

[quote name='tourlink99']Channelside and Ybor City are very close to each other. Its at most a 10 minute trolley ride. The Hojo is closer to those locations. About 10 minutes by cab. Lots of activities in both areas, restaurants, clubs, comedy club, movies and just an interesting ambiance.

SeaPa1, I go to Dade City, St Leo and St Joes almost every week. I had brunch at Limoges a little while back, only next time I'll dye my hair blue.:D

But today I was in Clearwater and Palm Harbor. Hey Res, was that you waving at me as I drove by.
Mark[/quote]

What brings you over to our area - you a biker?

Hi Tampa tour guides! :D How kind of you to answer questions for us CC addicts... Thank you!
We are sailing a week from today- YIPPEE!- and have booked a room at the Quorum and taking advantage of their Sleep and Sail pkg. which allows us to park our car in their garage for the time we are on the cruise ship. This includes transportation to the Port, but only ONE way. I was told I can pay another $25 to have them pick us up and transport us back after our cruise is over. Should I do that, or is there another option that may be less expensive, and/or easier? Not sure how far this hotel is from the Port of Tampa...

[quote name='dawnskers']Hi Tampa tour guides! :D How kind of you to answer questions for us CC addicts... Thank you!
We are sailing a week from today- YIPPEE!- and have booked a room at the Quorum and taking advantage of their Sleep and Sail pkg. which allows us to park our car in their garage for the time we are on the cruise ship. This includes transportation to the Port, but only ONE way. I was told I can pay another $25 to have them pick us up and transport us back after our cruise is over. Should I do that, or is there another option that may be less expensive, and/or easier? Not sure how far this hotel is from the Port of Tampa...[/QUOTE]

Is the Quorum the one on the corner of Cypress and Westshore? That hotel has changed names so many times I can't keep it straight. If it is, I doubt it would cost $25 from the pier to the hotel for a cab - but I can't say for sure because I havent taken a cab in Tampa in a million years. I would try calling a local cab company. They would be able to tell you for sure. (It's only a 10 minute drive to the port - 15 min at the MOST). Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Dawnskers, Grab a taxi back to the hotel. It will probably run about $20. The airport to the pier is a flat rate of $25, but it goes by the meter to the hotel. The hotel is still pretty nice and its a good location.
Seaspa, no bikes for me! I design security systems for Brinks. Gotta keep your homes safe while you are out cruising.
Res, was that you doing the laundry when I drove by. Dont forget to separate the colors from the whites.:D
Doughboy, Did you pick out a hotel? There's lots of deals out there.
By the way, if someone needs free secure parking 5 minutes from the pier, I could be persuaded to tell!;)

[quote name='tourlink99']Doughboy, Did you pick out a hotel? There's lots of deals out there.[/quote]

I've had a busy few days and haven't been able to finish my research. I'm aiming to have a decision in the next couple days. Our CC group got a rate of $77 at the HoJo so it'll probably be tough to top that, but I'm gonna check.

[quote name='dawnskers']Hi Tampa tour guides! :D How kind of you to answer questions for us CC addicts... Thank you!
We are sailing a week from today- YIPPEE!- and have booked a room at the Quorum and taking advantage of their Sleep and Sail pkg. which allows us to park our car in their garage for the time we are on the cruise ship. This includes transportation to the Port, but only ONE way. I was told I can pay another $25 to have them pick us up and transport us back after our cruise is over. Should I do that, or is there another option that may be less expensive, and/or easier? Not sure how far this hotel is from the Port of Tampa...[/quote]

As the others mentioned, I'd probably take a cab. Fare should be around $15 or so, based on the stated rates for the city's main cab companies.

It's around 5 miles from that hotel to the port, travel time probably 10 minutes max unless you get snagged in traffic.

So nice to see so many gurus on Tampa travel. We are thinking of staying a few extra days in Tampa after our November cruise before flying home. Could you recommend a nice beachtown not too far from the airport? We will be renting a car so can travel south of Tampa. We love the Marco/Naples area but don't want to go that far. Any hotel recommendations would also be appreciated.

Marianne

Archived