Tampa Information

yogimax

[quote name='Maxine']So nice to see so many gurus on Tampa travel. We are thinking of staying a few extra days in Tampa after our November cruise before flying home. Could you recommend a nice beachtown not too far from the airport? We will be renting a car so can travel south of Tampa. We love the Marco/Naples area but don't want to go that far. Any hotel recommendations would also be appreciated.

Marianne[/quote]

What kind of beach atmosphere are you seeking - quiet/laid back/isolated or lively, with more people, beach bars/restaurants, etc?

[quote name='SeaPA1']What kind of beach atmosphere are you seeking - quiet/laid back/isolated or lively, with more people, beach bars/restaurants, etc?[/QUOTE]

definitely quiet/laid back but with good restaurants and maybe a little shopping although the shopping would not be at the top of our list. I have already been on the site for Anna Maria Island and it might just fit the bill. Any other suggestions?

Marianne

[COLOR=blue]Glad to have stumbled onto this thread -- thanks to all who have posted such great info.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]I have a few questions too![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Sailing on the Grandeur, Dec 4th -- spending 2 days (ok, approx. a day and a half now that flights got changed:( ). Staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown. Is it a real hike to walk from the Hyatt to the Plant Museum and back?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]The full day, I'm thinking of heading to St. Pete Forum (understand it's open to the public when no event is on??) then up (over) to Channelside for a browse and hopefully lunch and something cold on a patio before heading to the Aquarium. From St. Pete to Channelside is that walkable?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Think there's a trolley stop outside the Hyatt, but then have to change to a bus???[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]I HATE shopping - more interested in cultural things (I know I'm boring:) ); museums; botanical gardens; etc. so feel free to make suggestions.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Thanks![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]

[quote name='jaspercat'][COLOR=blue]Glad to have stumbled onto this thread -- thanks to all who have posted such great info.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]I have a few questions too![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Sailing on the Grandeur, Dec 4th -- spending 2 days (ok, approx. a day and a half now that flights got changed:( ). Staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown. Is it a real hike to walk from the Hyatt to the Plant Museum and back?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]The full day, I'm thinking of heading to St. Pete Forum (understand it's open to the public when no event is on??) then up (over) to Channelside for a browse and hopefully lunch and something cold on a patio before heading to the Aquarium. From St. Pete to Channelside is that walkable?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Think there's a trolley stop outside the Hyatt, but then have to change to a bus???[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]I HATE shopping - more interested in cultural things (I know I'm boring:) ); museums; botanical gardens; etc. so feel free to make suggestions.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Thanks![/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

The Hyatt to the Plant Museum is not a hike. Its less than half a mile. The Forum is less than a mile the other direction (.7 to be exact). Curious, why would you want to go there? Its just an empty sports/concert venue. The Forum to Channelside is very walkable (less than half mile) as well and the Aquarium is right there too. Get your good walking shoes on! The trolley also runs from the Forum to Channelside to Ybor too.

definitely quiet/laid back but with good restaurants and maybe a little shopping although the shopping would not be at the top of our list. I have already been on the site for Anna Maria Island and it might just fit the bill. Any other suggestions?

Marianne

My parents owned a motel on Clearwater Beach when I was growing up (they still live on the beach as does my brother and his family). I'm partial to the area. Although its nothing like "the old days", it still IMHO has the best white sand in Florida! If you do go, its only about 30-40 min from Tampa - straight shot over the causeway. Turn right on Mandalay Ave (the main drag) and go as far as you can (to escape the crowds). A great place to watch the sunset is Frenchy's Rockaway (get there early). There are several hotels for every budget. The newest is the Sandpearl.

Marianne

Anna Maria is definitely very nice & would fit your needs. Another alternative would be one of the bed & breakfasts in Dunedin & take the ferry out to Caldesi Island. The beach area there is outstanding (consistenly listed in the country's top 10 by that Dr Beach guy who ranks them - I think it topped his list this year).

Anna Maria is definitely very nice & would fit your needs. Another alternative would be one of the bed & breakfasts in Dunedin & take the ferry out to Caldesi Island. The beach area there is outstanding (consistenly listed in the country's top 10 by that Dr Beach guy who ranks them - I think it topped his list this year).

Oh yes, SeaPA1, you are always reminding me of great places! Caladesi Island is wonderful. Dunedin is not very far from Clearwater/Tampa. Very quaint little area.

The Hyatt to the Plant Museum is not a hike. Its less than half a mile. The Forum is less than a mile the other direction (.7 to be exact). Curious, why would you want to go there? Its just an empty sports/concert venue. The Forum to Channelside is very walkable (less than half mile) as well and the Aquarium is right there too. Get your good walking shoes on! The trolley also runs from the Forum to Channelside to Ybor too.

Perfect -- thanks resstation! The Forum, hmm -- heard it's got some neat architecture inside and out -- it's not that empty - you've got the TBLightning playing there (I'm a Canadian - what can I say:) ).

Like walking 'cause I can stop / rest / browse whenever I want so was hoping these were all fairly close the Hyatt.

:D For all of you "in the know"....

***If you were us (family of 5--mom, dad, 3 boys ranging in age from 12-17), with no knowledge of the Tampa area at all...

***Driving into Tampa on a Thursday early afternoon...

***Looking for a nice hotel (Marriot, HI Express, or the like) with a pool, free breakfast, and a shuttle to Busch Gardens, or not too too far from Busch Gardens (we will have a rental car if it's better to drive and pay for parking)...

***We'll spend Thursday around Tampa, Friday at Busch Gardens, part of Saturday at Busch Gardens (we poke around the parks and take it slow, and have 2nd day free tix--if we exhaust the park on Friday we'll do something else on Saturday), then head to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday afternoon for our cruise that departs on Sunday...

Looking for hotel for 2 nights and things to do besides the park. Our primary concerns are that the hotel and activities be in a safe area. Once we decide on a hotel, we can start looing at area restaurants and attractions. I have been reading this thread, and have a few ideas, but the more I read the more confused I get:o

Originally we were thining of the Best Western all suites near Busch Gardens. Does anyone have info on this hotel? Usually we stay at Marriot properties that can hold all 5 of us, or HI Express, so we're looking for something comparable. Since we don't know the area at all, we are open to suggestions.

Thank you!

***If you were us (family of 5--mom, dad, 3 boys ranging in age from 12-17), with no knowledge of the Tampa area at all...

***Looking for a nice hotel (Marriot, HI Express, or the like) with a pool, free breakfast, and a shuttle to Busch Gardens, or not too too far from Busch Gardens (we will have a rental car if it's better to drive and pay for parking)...

***We'll spend Thursday around Tampa, Friday at Busch Gardens, part of Saturday at Busch Gardens (we poke around the parks and take it slow, and have 2nd day free tix--if we exhaust the park on Friday we'll do something else on Saturday), then head to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday afternoon for our cruise that departs on Sunday...

Looking for hotel for 2 nights and things to do besides the park. Our primary concerns are that the hotel and activities be in a safe area. Once we decide on a hotel, we can start looing at area restaurants and attractions. I have been reading this thread, and have a few ideas, but the more I read the more confused I get:o

Originally we were thining of the Best Western all suites near Busch Gardens. Does anyone have info on this hotel? Usually we stay at Marriot properties that can hold all 5 of us, or HI Express, so we're looking for something comparable. Since we don't know the area at all, we are open to suggestions.

Thank you!

I don't know about the Best Western but the TownPlace Suites (by Marriott) has great reviews and it is located near Busch Gardens. As far as safety is concerned, Tampa is a metro area and there is crime as in any city. Just keep your eyes open and be as careful as you would be in any other big city where you are unfamiliar with the area. Its definitely not rural Iowa (been there, done that)!

There are alot of tips and things to do on this thread. If it is still confusing, please don't hesitate to ask questions!

Thank you!

That hotel is in the vicinity of University Mall. I've not stayed there but have been past it many times.

Pluses:

*It's near the mall & there are a number of chain restuarants in the area.

*It's pretty close to Busch Gardens, probably less than 5 minutes drive time.

Minuses:

*It's not a particularly great area of town (I'd say that of most of the places real close to BG). Older area, near USF, sometimes rowdy, some crime issues (car thefts, stuff stolen from cars mostly - not violence oriented).

If you want something relatively convenient to BG, I'd suggest either one of the hotels in "Temple Terrace" area; there are a handful congregated around I-75 on Fletcher & I think a couple near I-75 & Fowler. These are within 5 to 10 minutes of BG but in a quieter area. Alternatively, try one of the hotels on Bruce B Downs in the Tampa Palms area. That would probably be a 15 to 20 minute drive to BG, and every chain restaurant known is located in the vicinity.

If you have a rental car, I'd drive to BG so that you have the flexibility of coming/going at your leisure. It's easy to find, well-marked by street signage, and parking isn't too much (I think it's like $6).

Doughboy, Did you pick out a hotel? There's lots of deals out there.

We made a decision. We're going with the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown. Our group got a rate there of $79/night and the location is great for Saturday. Looks like we shouldn't have trouble hitting Total Wine, Tampa Bay Brewing Company, Taps, and Splitsville.....if the wallet and the rest of my group are up for all of those. ;)

Once again, thanks to all of you for the tips and advice!

All of you give such good advice and now I need your expertise. Do any of you have a feel for which property would be better?

CHASE SUITE HOTEL on Rocky Point Drive

OR

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS - Rocky Point.

Both offer cruise packages, both have breakfast and prices are similar for the type rooms we want.

There are 4 of us, and 2 are in their 80's.

Any opinions?

dd's mom

• 2 weeks later...

Embassy suites and similar properties near University of South Florida which is also near Busch Gardens will probably be your best bet. The hotels right next to Busch Gardens seems to be a mixed bag with more probably leaning towards shady especially if you are a Marriott/Courtyard/HIExpress user. When is your cruise leaving late Saturday? I agree with the I75 and Fletcher properties and have heard good things about the Hilton owned property over there.

what do you want to know about it? Last time I checked on Tripadvisor it had mixed reviews. Its sort of a Tamp landmark in that its been there forever, but its nothing crazy from the outside. Approx 15 minutes from the port and is on a very busy road. Westshore mall is near by with different chain eateries as is International mall. Both will require a rental car or taxi to get to.

That hotel is in the vicinity of University Mall. I've not stayed there but have been past it many times.

Pluses:

*It's near the mall & there are a number of chain restuarants in the area.

*It's pretty close to Busch Gardens, probably less than 5 minutes drive time.

Minuses:

*It's not a particularly great area of town (I'd say that of most of the places real close to BG). Older area, near USF, sometimes rowdy, some crime issues (car thefts, stuff stolen from cars mostly - not violence oriented).

If you want something relatively convenient to BG, I'd suggest either one of the hotels in "Temple Terrace" area; there are a handful congregated around I-75 on Fletcher & I think a couple near I-75 & Fowler. These are within 5 to 10 minutes of BG but in a quieter area. Alternatively, try one of the hotels on Bruce B Downs in the Tampa Palms area. That would probably be a 15 to 20 minute drive to BG, and every chain restaurant known is located in the vicinity.

If you have a rental car, I'd drive to BG so that you have the flexibility of coming/going at your leisure. It's easy to find, well-marked by street signage, and parking isn't too much (I think it's like $6).

OK, Best Western is out. They have a penalty if we don't cancel 3 days before, and since we are flying down from MA in February, I don't want to take the chance of losing a deposit...

Can anyone recommedn a specific hotel in the Temple Terrace Area?

Is the Town Place Suites folks are referring to the one at 6800 Woodstork Road?

Also, there's a LaQuinta on Fowler Ave--any info on that??

Any better suggestions? We're hoping to stay for around/under $150/night.

Thanks for helping a clueless visitor!:o

I stayed at the La Quinta on Fowler when my dad was at the VA hospital near there . It was pretty quiet, clean and I had no problems. Also, the pool was kept nice. Try to get a top floor room to reduce the Fowler Avenue traffic noise.

I also stayed at the Amerisuites near there several times and had good luck there as well.

I'd stay away from the hotels within walking distance of Busch Gardens - pretty sketchy neighborhoods in places (though not all!) and not as new as some others mentioned in this thread.

Have fun! Tampa is a great, friendly town and I hope you enjoy your stay.

We are sailing on the Legend from Tampa this Sunday - YAY!

We arrive into the airport around 11am. My question is if we take a taxi to the pier, is there a place to buy a few bottles of wine or bottled water to take with us near the pier? Shuld we have the taxi stop along the way? Or should we just suck it up and pack these things in our bags before we leave home?

Thanks in advance for any help!

We are sailing on the Legend from Tampa this Sunday - YAY!

We arrive into the airport around 11am. My question is if we take a taxi to the pier, is there a place to buy a few bottles of wine or bottled water to take with us near the pier? Shuld we have the taxi stop along the way? Or should we just suck it up and pack these things in our bags before we leave home?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The pier is located adjacent to the Channelside entertainment complex (I think carnival's terminal is actually part of the same building). There is a wine store located in the complex; they have a nice selection with reasonable prices (higher than a grocery store, but if you had the taxi stop & run the meter while you went into the grocery store, you'd probably lose any savings to the cabbie).

Archived