Tampa Information

yogimax

If you're at the Embassy by the Convention Cente (on the trolleyline), there is a Publix that is less than a 1/2 mile away. It is easily walkable unless you have mobility issues.

I'd second the suggestion of the Columbia; it's one of Tampa's landmark restaurants. Just hop the trolley, take it to the last station in Ybor. Columbia is a short walk (couple of blocks) from there.

The aquarium is nice & a good way to spend a few hours (it's right by the Channelside complex & cruise port, right on the trolley line also).

If you plan to use the trolley, you'll want to buy a day pass as opposed to paying one-way fares.

SeaPA1, Thanks for the update on the grocery store! I knew there had to be something closer since all the condos went up on Harbour Island.

SeaPA1, Thanks for the update on the grocery store! I knew there had to be something closer since all the condos went up on Harbour Island.

It's at the corner of Bayshore & Platt, just on the other side of the bridge from the west side of the convention center. I think you could probably see it from there.

Don't remember how long it's been there. It's nice, like the typical Publix.

I can't remember if there is a sidewalk along Channelside Drive as it goes under the little tunnel that dips under the corner of the convention center. If there is & you can walk through there, it's probably only 3/10 of a mile from the Embassy to the Publix. If you have to loop around a block, it might be 1/2 mile, but probably no more than that.

If you pull up a google map & zoom into Tampa until you can clearly see the Convention Center, you can also see the Publix & its' parking lot just on the other side of the bridge.

Is there a car rental place at/or near the cruise terminal in Tampa?

We are going on the Inspiration in December and would like to rent a car at the airport and hopefully drop it off at/or near the cruise terminal before boarding. Also, interested in renting a car at/or near the port upon return to be dropped off at the airport the next day.

Is there a car rental place at/or near the cruise terminal in Tampa?

We are going on the Inspiration in December and would like to rent a car at the airport and hopefully drop it off at/or near the cruise terminal before boarding. Also, interested in renting a car at/or near the port upon return to be dropped off at the airport the next day.

I don't recall a car rental place, but I haven't been to the port in a while. I know that the nearby hotels can arrange for cars, but not if you are not a guest. Perhaps the big online sites like expedia or travelocity will have a listing of Tampa pick up points. Be sure to check the box that says you are interested in pick up points off the airport grounds.

resstation, how bad would it be to get from a hotel in the Rocky Point area to the pier on a Sunday with a 1:00 home game? :o

That would be tough and you'd have to leave early. The stadium is between Rocky Point and the Pier, with lots of construction in between.

How early is "early"?

We have a reservation at the HI Express Rocky Point Island, and we'd rather not change it because we're looking forward to dinner at Bahama Breeze next door. How long do you think the drive would take on a Sunday as Chrissy described?

Thanks!

How early is "early"?

We have a reservation at the HI Express Rocky Point Island, and we'd rather not change it because we're looking forward to dinner at Bahama Breeze next door. How long do you think the drive would take on a Sunday as Chrissy described?

Thanks!

I didn't even realize Bahama Breeze is still there with all the construction going on. If it were me, I would leave at least 2 hours earlier than I want to be at the port - just to give me plenty of time. You may get there in 30 minutes, you may get there in an hour, who knows? You could have no delay (unlikely on game day) or there may be major delays. You may want to check to see what time the game starts that Sunday. Once you get to the port, there is plenty to do to pass the time once you give them your luggage. Channelside is right next door.

How early is "early"?

Thanks!

It would vary depending on when you leave. If it's while the game is going on (between 1 & 4 for a 1 oclock kickoff), you'll see no traffic at all. If you get caught in the traffic of people going to or leaving the game, it will cause some delays. Pregame is worst between 11 & 12 (assuming a 1 pm kickoff). Postgame is bad from 4 to 5 (again assuming a 1 pm kickoff).

One thing you might want to consider - the bad traffic is more in the immediate vicinity of the stadium, but including some Interstate backups around both Martin Luther King Blvd and Dale Mabry Hwy (for you, the Dale Mabry backup would be the concern). If you're headed from Rocky Point to the port & it's at a time that could be affected by gameday traffic, avoid I-275. Just stay on Hwy 60 (at Rocky Point HI this is the Courtney Campbell Causeway); after you pass I275, it turns into Kennedy Blvd, which you can take through the downtown area almost all the way to the port. After you pass downtown, I believe it eventually deadends at Channelside Drive; turn right there & the port will be down just a couple of blocks.

Going that path should keep you safely out of most of the potential game day traffic.

I didn't even realize Bahama Breeze is still there with all the construction going on. If it were me, I would leave at least 2 hours earlier than I want to be at the port - just to give me plenty of time. You may get there in 30 minutes, you may get there in an hour, who knows? You could have no delay (unlikely on game day) or there may be major delays. You may want to check to see what time the game starts that Sunday. Once you get to the port, there is plenty to do to pass the time once you give them your luggage. Channelside is right next door.
Thanks. I hope Bahama Breeze is still there. We miss oursthat was closed down. (According to their website, it's still there. Whew! ;) )

I wouldn't know about the construction. Where is that? On Rocky Point Island or along the route to the port? In any event, those delays don't sound too bad to me (I'm from So. Cal.).

It would vary depending on when you leave. If it's while the game is going on (between 1 & 4 for a 1 oclock kickoff), you'll see no traffic at all. If you get caught in the traffic of people going to or leaving the game, it will cause some delays. Pregame is worst between 11 & 12 (assuming a 1 pm kickoff). Postgame is bad from 4 to 5 (again assuming a 1 pm kickoff).

One thing you might want to consider - the bad traffic is more in the immediate vicinity of the stadium, but including some Interstate backups around both Martin Luther King Blvd and Dale Mabry Hwy (for you, the Dale Mabry backup would be the concern). If you're headed from Rocky Point to the port & it's at a time that could be affected by gameday traffic, avoid I-275. Just stay on Hwy 60 (at Rocky Point HI this is the Courtney Campbell Causeway); after you pass I275, it turns into Kennedy Blvd, which you can take through the downtown area almost all the way to the port. After you pass downtown, I believe it eventually deadends at Channelside Drive; turn right there & the port will be down just a couple of blocks.

Going that path should keep you safely out of most of the potential game day traffic.

Thanks. We will be taking the hotel shuttle to the port, so I assume the drivers will know how to avoid the backups. (I hope!;) ) Hmm, I may have to call to see what time they plan on leaving the hotel.

Thanks for all the info, both of you!

I wouldn't know about the construction. Where is that? On Rocky Point Island or along the route to the port? In any event, those delays don't sound too bad to me (I'm from So. Cal.).

You're welcome. The construction is on Rocky Point AND the route to the airport and slightly beyond. The construction on Rocky Point is a new condo they are building and the rest of it is road construction/overpasses etc.

We have a foursome of avid golfers that will be bringing our clubs with us in early September 2008. We are looking for fun, challenging and reasonably close golf courses in Tampa. We don't mind driving 45 to 50 minutes if the course is a good one. Probably max out at about $120 for the green fees. Any suggestions?

We have a foursome of avid golfers that will be bringing our clubs with us in early September 2008. We are looking for fun, challenging and reasonably close golf courses in Tampa. We don't mind driving 45 to 50 minutes if the course is a good one. Probably max out at about $120 for the green fees. Any suggestions?

Well, you're in luck. My husband is a golfaholic. He does have a job, really, but tomorrow he'll be teeing up for the third time in 6 days. (It's actually not a normal occurance, but he wishes it was!)

He said there is an outstanding course right inside of an hour's drive from Tampa that he recommends. It's called World Woods Golf Club and it's in Brooksville. They have a website where you can get more information (worldwoods.com)

Closer to Tampa, there is the TPC Tampa Bay in Lutz (tpctampabay.com). This course is just under a 30 minute drive.

Hope that helps! - Olga

I too am an avid golfer, my dad got my brothers & I started when we were toddlers (a loooooooooong time ago).

As mentioned above, World Woods is very nice. 36 hole layout, both courses are excellent. If you're only playing 18, the Pine Barrens track is probably the nicer of the 2 - but either would be great.

A little closer, in Dade City (where I live), there is an excellent course called Lake Jovita CC. It's only been open 6 years or so, but has hosted PGA Tour qualifying twice in the last few years (including the semifinals 2 years ago). It's a beautiful course, maintained spectacularly. If you're staying in Tampa, I'd probably suggest it over World Woods. They are comparable quality, comparable price - but Jovita is a good bit closer (20 to 30 minutes from Tampa, depending on where you're staying; WW is an hour or so).

Jovita is also 36 holes. The first 18 they built (the South Course) is the one I prefer, although both are nice. The South course is highly unusual for Florida golf - the terrain is very hilly.

I too am an avid golfer, my dad got my brothers & I started when we were toddlers (a loooooooooong time ago).

As mentioned above, World Woods is very nice. 36 hole layout, both courses are excellent. If you're only playing 18, the Pine Barrens track is probably the nicer of the 2 - but either would be great.

A little closer, in Dade City (where I live), there is an excellent course called Lake Jovita CC. It's only been open 6 years or so, but has hosted PGA Tour qualifying twice in the last few years (including the semifinals 2 years ago). It's a beautiful course, maintained spectacularly. If you're staying in Tampa, I'd probably suggest it over World Woods. They are comparable quality, comparable price - but Jovita is a good bit closer (20 to 30 minutes from Tampa, depending on where you're staying; WW is an hour or so).

Jovita is also 36 holes. The first 18 they built (the South Course) is the one I prefer, although both are nice. The South course is highly unusual for Florida golf - the terrain is very hilly.

Now look what you've done. My husband "forgot all about Jovita". He "needs to get out there soon. Its a GREAT place". LOL

[quote name='ChrissyM_Cruiser']Keep me posted on what they say!

Thanks for the great info CCers![/quote] Chrissy, They told me the shuttles leave at 11:00, 12:00 and 1:00. When you check in, you let them know which one you want to be on.

Seems a little late to me. 11:00 is OK, but I'd rather leave at 10:00 than 12:00 or 1:00. I may have to rethink our hotel.

Thanks to resstation and SeaPA1 for the golf info.

We will be playing on 2 days and will try to make both courses...we were aware of World West from mags but will definitely tee it up at Jovita and let you know which we like best.

It shouldn't take 1/2 hr at most. If there is a backup on I-275, there are local streets to bypass the traffic. Besides, if you leave the hotel early, around 10:30, you wont have any problem at all. The afternoon games start at one, and the tailgaters, don't constitute big traffic jams. Its starts getting busy around 11:30. But even then you can get around the traffic.
Welcome to Tampa!
Mark

For good golf within 20 minutes of Rocky Point, check out the Eagles County Club in Odessa. If you want something top of the Line go to Innisbrook in Palm Harbor. They have 4, 18 hole courses, and they have a nationally televised PGA tournament played there. Its expensive, but top of the line!
Mark

Wow - How wonderful to have great friends in great places!!

We are flying in LATE - like 10pm on Nov. 1st - still trying to find somewhere to stay. Obviously, not going to be doing any sight seeing that night, and the cruise (Carnival Legend) leaves the next day.

Where would you suggest that's inexpensive (clean, safe) but not gonna cost us a fortune in cab fare? I will check out the ES you've been referring to - but we are coming from Idaho, and I am pretty clueless about the area.

DH wants to go Red Roof and I'm like - uh-uh!! Not in this lifetime!! We have nothing to do the following morning unless we can talk some new friends into breakfast somewhere - so, we'll do our sightseeing when we get back.

Thanx!!

can anyone tell me if there is a reputable car rental company near the Amtrak Station on Nebraska Avenue?

If not, how much would a cab cost to get to the airport for one?

Also, is the Amtrak station in a fairly safe area?

Thanks so much for your help. I will be traveling with my mom.

[quote name='BTSEN5']can anyone tell me if there is a reputable car rental company near the Amtrak Station on Nebraska Avenue?

If not, how much would a cab cost to get to the airport for one?

Also, is the Amtrak station in a fairly safe area?

Thanks so much for your help. I will be traveling with my mom.[/QUOTE]

Amtrak usually has a car rental facility in their stations. You should check with them (it should also be listed on their website). If you are staying at a larger hotel, they provide cars through the concierge. The airport is about a 10-20 min drive depending on the time of day you go. I don't know the cost of cabs here as I have never used one. Also, Enterprise Rent a Car delivers the car to you.

As far as a safe area is concerned, I wouldn't take a walk around the area by myself - but the station is well lit and as long as you don't wander too far you should be fine.

3 questions:

1) Can anyone tell me what time we could reasonablly expect to begin boarding the Legend in Tampa?

2) Do all cabins offer robes?

3) Has anyone had any experience being allowed to use a carnival wheelchair for elderly cruisers?

Thanks,
dd's mom

[QUOTE=dd's mom;15897295]3 questions:

1) Can anyone tell me what time we could reasonablly expect to begin boarding the Legend in Tampa?

2) Do all cabins offer robes?

3) Has anyone had any experience being allowed to use a carnival wheelchair for elderly cruisers?

Thanks,
dd's mom[/QUOTE]

No idea. I have knowledge about the Tampa area though! You can probably get plenty of answers to these questions by posting to the Carnival board instead. Good luck!

Archived