Tampa Information

yogimax

We'll be on the Carnival Inspiration later this year.

What's the best way to get from the airport to the pier?

Delta has a return flight, leaving at 11AM. Inspiration doesn't dock until 8AM. I would guess the 11AM flight would be a risk?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

I'd just take a cab from the airport; it's about $25 (per cab, not per person), price is the same whether you're in a car or minivan style cab.

The 11 am flight would be a little tight, but certainly doable. I've always gotten off the Carnival ships pretty early on the return to Tampa, they are pretty efficient on debark day. It's only about 15 to 20 minutes from the port to the airport.

I live here in the Tampa area. I think an 11am flight is cutting it WAY too close. Although it *normally* takes 15-20 min to get from the port to the airport, there are sometimes HUGE traffic delays due to the massive construction around the airport vicinity at this time. I don't know your schedule or return day but I would also check to be sure there is not a Bucs game that day. If there is, you'll need another 30 minutes on top of the normal time just to get past the stadium.

The good news is that Tampa airport is very easy to navigate. Its not a bad place to sit and relax for a while if you have time, too. There are several restaurants, bars, stores to browse.

resstation, how bad would it be to get from a hotel in the Rocky Point area to the pier on a Sunday with a 1:00 home game? :o

That would be tough and you'd have to leave early. The stadium is between Rocky Point and the Pier, with lots of construction in between.

If I were you I would stay downtown. It is a 2 minute ride to the pier. There are many hotels, the closest being the Marriott Waterside. There is also the Westin Harbour Island (its a beautiful setting but I haven't been there since I last worked there when it was a Wyndam in 1991 so you'd have to look up some reviews), the Tampa Hyatt and for less costly there is a Courtyard hotel and a few others that slip my mind at the moment. If you stay downtown, you will not be in a hurry to get to the port.

Alternatively, and if you are a real "party animal", you may want to stay in Ybor City which is a few blocks E of the pier. Ybor gets crazy on Saturday nights and it has a reputation of being for the younger set who likes to drink and party. There are alot of bars and restaurants in the area. The Hilton Garden Inn is there. If you like your peace and quiet and a nice relaxing night of sleep, don't go there. There's a hat for every head, as they say.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have about the area.

Thanks for the info! We do like to party, but were looking for more of a relaxed, Whiskey Joe's type of vibe. Back to the drawing board!

If you stay downtown, you can take a cab or the trolley (depending on where you stay) to Channelside. This is a great "entertainment complex". It is next to the pier. There is a movie theater (digital and IMAX always playing), there is a really cool bowling alley (Splitsville)- not your grandpa's bowling alley! There are upscale restaurants, mexican, thai, tapas, bbq and hooters there too. Its a fun place. The web address is channelsidetampa.com.

Channelside looks pretty cool! I see they have a store called "Wine Design", I'm sold.

There is also a new (little less than 1 year old) Embassy Suites right next to the convention center (beside the Marriott Waterside); it might be a little cheaper than the Marriott & would still be nice. It's also right by the trolley, so you could hop it to either Channelside or Ybor City.

If you end up at Channelside, they frequently have live entertainment in the courtyard (usually some form of accoustical or easy listening tunes). The wine shop (WineDesign) sells wine by the glass & also has a nice selection of import & microbrew beers (sold individually), which you can have poured into a plastic cup to bring out to the courtyard.

That sounds fantastic!

I looked at the Embassy Suites, and for some reason the date I put in came up at over $300. Yikes! I have to wait until I get my voucher/coupon from the online agency I used to book the cruise before I can book the hotel, so maybe the price will go down.

I really appreciate all the great Tampa info!

There is also a new (little less than 1 year old) Embassy Suites right next to the convention center (beside the Marriott Waterside); it might be a little cheaper than the Marriott & would still be nice. It's also right by the trolley, so you could hop it to either Channelside or Ybor City.

If you end up at Channelside, they frequently have live entertainment in the courtyard (usually some form of accoustical or easy listening tunes). The wine shop (WineDesign) sells wine by the glass & also has a nice selection of import & microbrew beers (sold individually), which you can have poured into a plastic cup to bring out to the courtyard.

That's right! I forgot all about the new Embassy suites.

What is your opinion on the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown (1.7 miles from port)?

We would be leaving our car there in the parking lot. They say that they have security guards from 10 pm until 6 am. I'm nervous about leaving it there, but we have a free night and the parking comes to $38 instead of $98 at the port. It will be going up to $14 by the time we go (Christmas cruise) according to what I have read.

Our other choice was the Embassy Suites near the airport (6 miles from port).

What is your opinion on the Howard Johnson Plaza Downtown (1.7 miles from port)?

We would be leaving our car there in the parking lot. They say that they have security guards from 10 pm until 6 am. I'm nervous about leaving it there, but we have a free night and the parking comes to $38 instead of $98 at the port. It will be going up to $14 by the time we go (Christmas cruise) according to what I have read.

Our other choice was the Embassy Suites near the airport (6 miles from port).

I don't know if I'd leave my car at a Howard Johnson's downtown - especially around Christmas time. Have you checked the long term parking rates at the airport? Have you checked room rates at the Intercontinental on Kennedy and Westshore? That's about the same distance as the Embassy on Cypress you are talking about.

If anyone wants to do some shopping, check out the International Plaza on Spruce Street (near the airport). Very nice, upscale mall with high end stores and amazing restaurants (Capital Grille, Cheesecake Factory to name a couple). There is also a hotel on the property - I believe it is a Renaissance (Marriott website).

I usually look at tripadvisor.com to check out hotels (and take the reviews with a grain of salt like I do here on cruisecritic).

[quote

ok here goes. None of us have been to Tampa before. We are leaving on the Inspiration on 12/11 (Thurs.) Planning on flying in late afternoon on 12/9 (Tues.). We will have 2 evenings and all day Wed. to keep ourselves busy. We are 3 women ages 40 to 58. We were considering staying at the Holiday Inn Express, Rocky Point. We are also open to suggestions in the same price range. We're wondering what there is to do in that area or how far shopping or entertainment and dining would be. How far is the HIE from the port? I read above about the traffic situation. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks so much!

JoAnn

[quote

ok here goes. None of us have been to Tampa before. We are leaving on the Inspiration on 12/11 (Thurs.) Planning on flying in late afternoon on 12/9 (Tues.). We will have 2 evenings and all day Wed. to keep ourselves busy. We are 3 women ages 40 to 58. We were considering staying at the Holiday Inn Express, Rocky Point. We are also open to suggestions in the same price range. We're wondering what there is to do in that area or how far shopping or entertainment and dining would be. How far is the HIE from the port? I read above about the traffic situation. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks so much!

JoAnn

First of all, you will LOVE the Tampa area. We are blessed with a really beautiful place to live - especially in the "winter" brrrr. LOL (I think I wore a jacket maybe twice last winter).

The hotels in the Rocky Point area have changed names so many times that I can't keep up. You may want to check out tripadvisor (dot) com and find reviews for any hotels you may be considering. I am very familiar with the hotels that are "tried and true" in the area - hyatt, marriotts, etc.

Rocky Point is approximately a 15-20 min drive to the port (depending on traffic/construction). Its a good spot if you are staying a couple of days because you are in between Clearwater and Tampa.

Clearwater has one of the nicest beaches on this coast. The water will be really cold at that time but do drive to the beach and walk along the sand and take in the extraordinary sunsets we have. Frenchy's Rockaway is a restaurant/bar directly on the beach. There is usually a wait for a table so go early if you want to watch the sunset. Be sure to ask for an outside table, the view is incredible (and the wait will be too, but its worth it). Again, go early because there are not that many tables outside and the sunset is, well, a sunset and doesn't last forever.

Please don't drive on the causeway and think that our beaches are anything like that! The causeway between Tampa and Clearwater is just that - a causeway. Many people treat it like a beach. DRIVE to Clearwater and you'll see the difference. Its like night and day.

Shopping - oh you will LOVE the shopping. International Plaza is about a 10 min drive from Rocky Point. There are great restaurants, fine upscale stores and trendy boutiques there. Just down the street is the Westshore Plaza. Its a little less upscale, but still nice. There are great restaurants there too. (Look up these malls on the internet and you can see the stores/restaurants).

If you want to take a day trip you can drive over the Sunshine Skyway bridge and go to Sarasota. Its beautiful, has some great upscale shopping and on the way there (or back) you can stop by the Outlet malls that have popped up in recent years.

If you enjoy theme parks/zoos, you are only a 20 min drive or so from Busch Gardens. Our own Lowry Park Zoo is a wonderful place to visit too.

Channelside is a nice place to hang out in the evening. I wrote about it in my previous posts on this thread. Its right next to the port.

If you have any particular interests, I would be happy to point the way for you. Just let me know.

My suggestions are assuming that you will be renting a car. Its pretty difficult to get around here without one.

By the way - where will you be coming from?

Wow, thanks so much, you've really helped me a lot. We weren't planning on renting a car. Is there beach in the Rocky point area or is it all "rocky"? Is there anything to do within walking distance of the hotel? Or maybe we need to consider renting a car for the day. I do think I read they have trolleys too. From what you said Channelside would be a 15 to 20 minute ride from RP as the port is?

We are really looking forward to our winter trip and looking forward to seeing the Tampa area. Thanks for your help.

JoAnn

PS Is it an easy drive to Clearwater?

Wow, thanks so much, you've really helped me a lot. We weren't planning on renting a car. Is there beach in the Rocky point area or is it all "rocky"? Is there anything to do within walking distance of the hotel? Or maybe we need to consider renting a car for the day. I do think I read they have trolleys too. From what you said Channelside would be a 15 to 20 minute ride from RP as the port is?

We are really looking forward to our winter trip and looking forward to seeing the Tampa area. Thanks for your help.

JoAnn

PS Is it an easy drive to Clearwater?

If you are staying for a couple of days, you really need to rent a car. This area is difficult (and expensive) to get around without one. The trolley only goes from Channelside to Ybor and back (a couple of miles roundtrip maybe?). Its not a transportation system.

Yes, Channelside is right next to the port, about 15-20 minutes. If you are going during the day, take the trolley to Ybor and have a look around. The Columbia Restaurant (you can find it online too) is an area institution. Great food and service.

I'm not sure if your hotel has any sand around it. None of the beaches in that area are really "beaches". They just pretend. If you want to go to the beach you HAVE to go to Clearwater. Believe me, you'll love it. From Rocky Point, point the car West and drive. Keep driving straight until you run into the beach, really. You will end up a couple of blocks away from what used to be the Spyglass Hotel where Criss Angel did his last stunt last week (before it was imploded).

Please keep checking in and asking questions!

Great, thanks again for taking the time to help me. We will look into renting a car. How long a drive is it to Clearwater?

Is there anything to do at Channelside during the day? How are the hotels in that area? From what I was looking at, I thought they were more expensive and not rated as good. From what we read the HIE has good reviews and we can get a suite for under $150. Guess I should start Goggling :)

Thanks again!

JoAnn

Great, thanks again for taking the time to help me. We will look into renting a car. How long a drive is it to Clearwater?

Is there anything to do at Channelside during the day? How are the hotels in that area? From what I was looking at, I thought they were more expensive and not rated as good. From what we read the HIE has good reviews and we can get a suite for under $150. Guess I should start Goggling :)

Thanks again!

JoAnn

From Rocky Point, Clearwater Beach would be about a 15-20 min drive.

Channelside is just as busy during the day as it is at night. Its a very popular place. Check the website for any specials or entertainment when you get closer to your arrival.

There is no reason why you shouldn't stay at Rocky Point if you found a good hotel. The hotels downtown are always more expensive, especially during the week. They cater to the business travelers. Personally, I won't stay at the Marriott Waterside again because the walls are paper thin and the doors are slamming all night long in the hallways. They have great rooms, great atmosphere, great location - but if you can't sleep all night, whats the point. The Hyatt downtown has been there FOREVER and is always a good choice.

No matter where you stay you are going to need a car, so stay wherever you find a good deal!

OK, I have been looking for someone like you:D

We are arriving in Tampa on a Thursday morning. We will have a car. We are planning to go to Busch Gardens Friday and Saturday, then head out of the Tampa area later on Saturday afternoon.

We are a family of 5. Can you recommend a hotel not too far from Busch Gardens? Clean rooms and a safe area are our main concerns, but free breakfast (3 teens coming with us, LOL), shuttle to the park, and a pool would be nice too.

We've never been to the area, so the easier to navigate the better!

We're most familiar with Marriots and HiExpress, like to stick to mainline hotels...

Thank you so much for any suggestions you may be able to give.

OK, I have been looking for someone like you:D

We are arriving in Tampa on a Thursday morning. We will have a car. We are planning to go to Busch Gardens Friday and Saturday, then head out of the Tampa area later on Saturday afternoon.

We are a family of 5. Can you recommend a hotel not too far from Busch Gardens? Clean rooms and a safe area are our main concerns, but free breakfast (3 teens coming with us, LOL), shuttle to the park, and a pool would be nice too.

We've never been to the area, so the easier to navigate the better!

We're most familiar with Marriots and HiExpress, like to stick to mainline hotels...

Thank you so much for any suggestions you may be able to give.

Happy to help...

There is a TownPlace Suites by Marriott not far from the park. It seems to get very good reviews. I know it has a pool and there are full kitchens in the rooms, but I'm not sure about breakfast or transportation to the park.

My main question is why will you be visiting Busch Gardens for 2 days? If you get there first thing in the morning, you shouldn't have a problem seeing the entire park in one day. You certainly could take two days if you want to take it pretty slow but unless you have tickets for two days already, save yourself the extra day's tickets. My recommendation for Busch Gardens (and generally, all the theme parks) is to go early and head to the BACK of the park first. Most people start at the beginning and go around. If you go to the back, you can get right into the rides, shows and attractions without much of a wait. If there is something you want to do in particular, go there first.

If you decide to skip the second day at BG, you can visit some other great places in the area - MOSI, the Museum of Science and Industry is right around the corner. They have EXCELLENT attractions and the IMAX theater is fantastic. Lowry Park Zoo is also close by. Clearwater Beach is just 30-40 minutes from the Busch Gardens area. The Florida Aquarium is near the port in downtown Tampa (forgot to mention it in my other posts). There are terrific shopping malls too. All of these you can look up online to see if they are to your liking.

When you mention coming in on Thursday, do you mean tomorrow?? If so, load up on sunscreen. If the weather is cloudy, you can still get very bad sun blisters. The sun goes right through the clouds. If it rains, wait it out - it normally does not rain more than 30 minutes at a time. In the summer time it rains every day at some point. It will be HOT and HUMID. Take lots of breaks by going into an air conditioned area and drink lots of water. Wow, the mom in me just popped out! Sorry.

Finally, just be aware of your surroundings at night. The BG area is safe and all, but its a college town (University of South Florida) and there's always something going on.

Ask away if you have more questions.

Just looking over this thread and Resstation, you have such wonderful information, I was hoping for a bit more (if it is not too much to ask) We are arriving only one day before our cruise and basically just want to see a few downtown sights, get to a store for water, gingerale and wine, and eat at a good restaurant. If we stay at the Embassy suites,( which appears to be right on the trolly and street car line) will we be able to find all of this without renting a car and just using the public transportaion???

Thanks in advance, Carol

Just looking over this thread and Resstation, you have such wonderful information, I was hoping for a bit more (if it is not too much to ask) We are arriving only one day before our cruise and basically just want to see a few downtown sights, get to a store for water, gingerale and wine, and eat at a good restaurant. If we stay at the Embassy suites,( which appears to be right on the trolly and street car line) will we be able to find all of this without renting a car and just using the public transportaion???

Thanks in advance, Carol

It's not too much to ask. I'm happy to help... Let's see...

If you are staying downtown without a car and its only for one day, sure, you can get by without a rental. The trolley can take you to Channelside and Ybor for a little sightseeing. The Columbia Restaurant, in one of my previous posts, is an Ybor tradition. You can't go wrong there. However, its been a few years since I worked downtown so be sure to ask the concierge for any new great restaurants. Channelside has many to choose from. If you like Thai food, Thai Tani at Channelside is award winning. Make reservations. They are almost always busy.

For groceries, ask the concierge first, in case something new has popped up closer, but there is a grocery store on Kennedy Blvd, not too far from the hotel. Maybe a 10 minute cab ride. With all the condos on Harbour Island now, they must have a place closer though. Definitely ask.

I hope everyone who has asked a question of me is still reading these posts because as I write I keep thinking of new things. The St. Pete Times Forum is in between the Marriott Waterside/Harbour Island/Embassy Suites and Channelside/Pier/Florida Aquarium. The Forum is an indoor stadium/concert venue. You may want to check on Ticketmaster to see if anything is going on the nights of your visit. If so, downtown is a madhouse, but fun.

Also, the Tampa Convention Center is just across the street from the Marriott/Harbour Island and Embassy. Things may be going on there as well. I'm sure all the information can be found online.

Hope that helps!

Thanks in advance, Carol

If you're at the Embassy by the Convention Cente (on the trolleyline), there is a Publix that is less than a 1/2 mile away. It is easily walkable unless you have mobility issues.

I'd second the suggestion of the Columbia; it's one of Tampa's landmark restaurants. Just hop the trolley, take it to the last station in Ybor. Columbia is a short walk (couple of blocks) from there.

The aquarium is nice & a good way to spend a few hours (it's right by the Channelside complex & cruise port, right on the trolley line also).

If you plan to use the trolley, you'll want to buy a day pass as opposed to paying one-way fares.

Archived