An attempt to find an alternative to Silversea

unfathomable

Thank you kindly for your linked posting. We were hoping for a river cruise some time in the indefinite future if we could have a chance. However, having read your account of your voyage, and if that is typical, we will give up that hope. Paying Silversea level fares (which is in itself challenging for us ordinary cats) to get the kind of product you have described is just not appealing. It is nice to know though!

We have cruised Silversea and Regent pretty much exclusively for the past eight years, though we find ourselves a bit "priced out of the market" at the moment. In any event, a couple of years back, I did some research to find a European river cruise that would be up to the level of these two ocean-going lines. I never found an exact equivalent, but Peter Deilman (sp?) offers river cruises that appeared to be the closest, in terms of space and crew ratios. This seems to be a good place to inquire if any Silversea cruisers have had any experience with this river cruise line.

I understand that Albert Peter, former Pres/CEO (or something) of SS, is starting a river boat line that will be the SS equivalent. We will look at it closely. We did the Danube and the Rhine rivers and didn't really like the folks, food or regimentation even tho' we liked the river cruising itself. There may be an alternative soon!

Having travelled extensively on oceans and a variety of cruise lines, I think its fair to make a comparrison between Peter Deilmann and Silversea - on everything except the cost. (Peter Deilmann also have a cruise ship)

My husband and I travelled on the Seine last year on Cezanne - at the end of the season. It was a lovely last minute break and quite unexpected in so many ways. River cruising lets you see inside the countries and the service, cuisine and accomodation was definitely five star with this cruise line.

:) Normally cruising in large suites on Oceania, Regent etc. we have found that Tauck, Premicon and Scenic Tours are really the only river boats with anything close to suites.

We have booked Scenic Tours Royal Suite for May 2010 in the hopes that this new line will get good reviews in the mean time.

ST even has real balconies on their ships. Good luck in your searches.:)

My husband and I have cruised extensively on Regent - not as yet on Silversea but that will come, I am sure! We have also taken two river cruises, one on Viking, one on Deilmann. Viking was fine, but Deilmann is supposed to be "top of the line" for river cruising, and while we enjoyed it very much, it wasn't all that much better than Viking! As I recall it was a bit more expensive but not a huge amount.

The Deilmann boat was very comfortable. (We cruised Prague to Potsdam in Oct 07). Very nicely decorated and the lounge area was extremely pretty. The one thing that bugged us was the smoking - but that is now a non-issue since Deilmann is non-smoking. the food was very good. Not up to regent standards, but considering the size of the galley on a river boat, amazingly good, and there was far, far too much of it!! too many temptations, all day long!

Deilmann is not all-inclusive. We paid for our drinks (and they "forbid" alcohol to be brought on board) and wine. Coffee/tea etc was included at meal times and actually we never were asked to pay for an espresso in the morning in the lounge or tea in the afternoon. Tips were additional too and there was a "recommended" per day figure. I really do NOT like this. I love the Regent all-inclusive policy.

The tours varied depending on the guide, but on balance were very good. Service on board was excellent too.

All this said though, I would pick a river cruise by itinerary and date and then by company since we found the food and service on Viking to be very good too. It was really just the decoration of the boat that was not as nice - our Viking cabin on the Primadonna was more spacious than that on the Katerina von Bora AND we had a balcony where we could actually sit!!

I understand that Albert Peter, former Pres/CEO (or something) of SS, is starting a river boat line that will be the SS equivalent. We will look at it closely. There may be an alternative soon!

Yep, that´s the wanna-be cruise line called Jewel River Cruises

http://www.jewelrivercruises.com/

But I doubt there will be anything soon!! Their website is still under construction (quote: "Our comprehensive new website will be launched in April 2008."). And another quote: "Jewel River Cruise Line will debut in 2008 with six ships sailing in some of the most attractive waterways in Europe." So far no one has ever heard of them.

The JEWEL IMPERIAL BLUE should have started at Aug 1st according to the lasted information here on CC. They wanted to refurbish an old former KD ship called HISPANIA (former HELVETIA built in 1961 for KD, later operated by Triton Reisen, Viking and Boonstra). In May someone saw the HISPANIA laying idle on the Rhine river without any workers on it. Last information I got is that they are trying to buy a ship for two years now but can´t get the money together. So far they haven´t got a ship.

steamboats

I have traveled on Silversea and Crystal. In October, my sister and I are going on a river cruise. After much research, we chose Amadeus based on the itinerary and, don't laugh, the fact that we could have a bathtub and not just a shower. Jinn

I have traveled on Silversea and Crystal. In October, my sister and I are going on a river cruise. After much research, we chose Amadeus based on the itinerary and, don't laugh, the fact that we could have a bathtub and not just a shower. Jinn

That's not fair! How can you expect us not to laugh at the prospect of "bathtub Jinn?" :D

Archived