Do you get dirty looks ? Platinum

southbayer

Just curious for those of you who are Platinum Guests -

Do you get dirty looks for walking right up to the Concierge Desk ?

For walking past everyone at port for your excursion ?

For simply having a platinum card, and getting dirty stares ?

I never paid much attention, but if someone made a point out of it, I'd tell them to go get . . . :rolleyes:

I never paid much attention, but if someone made a point out of it, I'd tell them to go get . . . :rolleyes:

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PLATINUM CARD HOLDERS GETTING THE PURKS, BUT I THINK IT'S FUNNY TO SIT BACK AND WATCH THE OTHER CRUISERS THAT DON'T KNOW WHATS GOING ON WHISPER AND AND GIVE DIRTY LOOKS AT THE PLATINUM CARD HOLDERS. SOMEDAY I'LL BE THERE. I ONLY HAVE TO SCHEDULE SIX MORE. :mad:

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PLATINUM CARD HOLDERS GETTING THE PURKS, BUT I THINK IT'S FUNNY TO SIT BACK AND WATCH THE OTHER CRUISERS THAT DON'T KNOW WHATS GOING ON WHISPER AND AND GIVE DIRTY LOOKS AT THE PLATINUM CARD HOLDERS. SOMEDAY I'LL BE THERE. I ONLY HAVE TO SCHEDULE SIX MORE. :mad:

Speaking of whispering :p

Sorry, i just couldn't resist......:p

What is the concierge desk?? The excursion desk, not the purser's desk or another desk. I guess I need to pay more attention.

When you walked past people in port, do you mean tender ports? I havent yet had a problem, hopefully it wouldnt be a problem on the Conquest, I have a excursion the guy said to meet half past whenever the Conquest got into port. huh?? I hope I find him. He said he will have a sign with my name on it.

I have a private excursion for just me for the falls in Jamaica, leaving my sister with her friend on the ship and hoping they can manage without me. I have mixed feelings, never left my sister with anyone or by herself more than to run to the cabin and back but never left the ship without her.

What is the concierge desk?? The excursion desk, not the purser's desk or another desk. I guess I need to pay more attention.

When you walked past people in port, do you mean tender ports? I havent yet had a problem, hopefully it wouldnt be a problem on the Conquest, I have a excursion the guy said to meet half past whenever the Conquest got into port. huh?? I hope I find him. He said he will have a sign with my name on it.

I have a private excursion for just me for the falls in Jamaica, leaving my sister with her friend on the ship and hoping they can manage without me. I have mixed feelings, never left my sister with anyone or by herself more than to run to the cabin and back but never left the ship without her.

The concierge desk is for Platinum members which is a part of the information desk for other cruisers. The concierge part is at the right corner of the info. desk which is blocked off from the info desk at the right of it. They have a sign for the concierge part. The excursion desk is located to the right of the info. desk in the Grand Atrium right by the glass elevators. Don't worry you'll have no problem finding these. They are right across from the side where you board the ship. Carnival has many maps to use by all the elevators.

I'm not exactly sure what your friend was meaning where or when to meet you. It could be meet half past the hour the ships pulls into port. If you can get ahold of him again and ask.

How old is your sister? Her staying on the ship may be safer for her than getting off in Jamacia. Why don't she just go with you?:)

Why would anyone NOTICE whether some stranger is looking at them as they walk by - unless they look around hoping others notice (or making sure they DO)? :confused: :rolleyes: When I'm somewhere fun like a cruise - even checking in - no one else matters to me but us and the fun we're having. You could be on stilts with your hair on fire and I wouldn't notice OR care! And how would a person get a "dirty stare" just for having a platinum card? Who would SEE it unless you're waving it around - again hoping others notice that there's something "special" about you? So just carry on and do your thing - who cares who notices or what kind of "look" they may give?

I have to agree, why would (or should) anyone care? There are perks that come with using many services. Hotels and airlines for a couple. I have no problem with there being a special line for million mile flyers or concierge services for 75 night per year hotel guests.

We've completed 22 cruises and have yet to become platinum with any cruise line. If we'd stuck with one cruise line we would be but we would have missed out on the experiences of 4 other lines. Doesn't bother us a bit to see someone who has earned a perk to use it.

OTOH, I would definately notice the guy on stilts/hair on fire. Open flames are a hazard:p

Charlie

Why would anyone NOTICE whether some stranger is looking at them as they walk by - unless they look around hoping others notice (or making sure they DO)? :confused: :rolleyes: When I'm somewhere fun like a cruise - even checking in - no one else matters to me but us and the fun we're having. You could be on stilts with your hair on fire and I wouldn't notice OR care! And how would a person get a "dirty stare" just for having a platinum card? Who would SEE it unless you're waving it around - again hoping others notice that there's something "special" about you? So just carry on and do your thing - who cares who notices or what kind of "look" they may give?

I saw a platinum member get harassed by other passengers when he walked by the regular line at the pursers desk and went up to the concierge desk. It was embarrassing to watch to say the least and we were just passing by when it happened. The staff and the passenger tried to explain why but the people in line were hearing none of it and he finally just walked away. At least one person at that time used good judgment even if the other ten or twelve in line were not. I think if you were there you would have noticed.

I'm not platinum, so I've not had the opportunity to get dirty looks... yet. But on our second Celebration cruise there was an older couple that were Platinum. They had the most unbelievable snotty looks on their faces. Tried to push past the security man at the door who was in the middle of helping an elderly lady who had dropped her things. When he asked them to wait they declared "We're Platinum". He still made them wait until he was finished helping the lady. Later I saw the Platinum Lady at the buffet. She apparently was under the impression that Platinum gets you to the front of the line at every venue because she pushed her way to the front of a very long buffet line. And, yes, she was getting dirty looks, though, surprisingly, no one made a scene.

I think a lot of people standing in a long line tend to get frustrated. And when someone just walks up past everyone- and from some of the posts I have seen here probably with a smug attitude- I am sure the people in the line get angry. Everyone hates it when there is a big line and there is that one person who thinks they don't have to wait like everyone else and tries to break in the line. Those people probably have no idea it is a platinum passenger. Carnival could avoid those issues by having a seperate line that was well posted.

Never had a problem, other than envious stares. We rarely need to use the concierge desk however. I wouldn't bother even trying to explain why I was bypassing the line. Let them wonder, especially if they can't read the sign that says Concierge".

I'm not platinum, so I've not had the opportunity to get dirty looks... yet. But on our second Celebration cruise there was an older couple that were Platinum. They had the most unbelievable snotty looks on their faces. Tried to push past the security man at the door who was in the middle of helping an elderly lady who had dropped her things. When he asked them to wait they declared "We're Platinum". He still made them wait until he was finished helping the lady. Later I saw the Platinum Lady at the buffet. She apparently was under the impression that Platinum gets you to the front of the line at every venue because she pushed her way to the front of a very long buffet line. And, yes, she was getting dirty looks, though, surprisingly, no one made a scene.

I doubt being "Platinum" made her that way. I'm guessing she was born pushy.:p

We are working slowly towards Platinum. At one cruise per year and last year's on Princess which won't count, we've got 7 more years ahead of us. Since we live 1.5 hours from Baltimore we may just have to schedule two next year.

I think a lot of people standing in a long line tend to get frustrated. And when someone just walks up past everyone- and from some of the posts I have seen here probably with a smug attitude- I am sure the people in the line get angry. Everyone hates it when there is a big line and there is that one person who thinks they don't have to wait like everyone else and tries to break in the line. Those people probably have no idea it is a platinum passenger. Carnival could avoid those issues by having a seperate line that was well posted.

I agree that people should speak out and complain if someone is cutting in line, and many probably have no idea that platinum cruisers have their own line.

There should be a separate desk to prevent misunderstandings, maybe with a red carpet like for Hilton Honours :D

Most/all lines have a sign of some sort that indicates "advanced status" passengers. The pushy people are the way they are regardless of their status. They'll be the ones at the airport showing up 45 minutes before their flight and getting help to go to the head of the line. They'll jump in front of you while waiting for a taxi ("We're running late").

OTOH there are those with both the status and class to be able to use their perks unobtrusively. You will rarely see them, at least as Platinum members. They are cordial and have the confidence that the pushy ones lack.

JMHO

Charlie

What all perks, besides VIP check in, does a platinum guest get? I have never noticed anyone doing any of that so far, but if I did, now that I know why, they would be looks of envy, and be dreaming of the day I'l be there. :D

I think that if they have a platinum card, they've spent their money on ten cruises and have earned their perks. I'm going to be halfway there on my next cruise and can hardly wait!:D

However, I can understand the confusion-with people being so rude these days it may seem as if they are pushing their way ahead and cutting in line. That happens alot. Just yesterday I was in a line at the local gas station. It was very busy, but our line was going faster than the other one. An arrogant looking lady tried to step out of the other line and shove her way in front of me, because she felt she was there "first." Now if she had been elderly or had her arms full, I would have invited her to go before me, but her "me first" attitude pizzed me off and I immediately stepped forward so she could not get in line, and gave her a "just try it, lady" look. She snarled at me and went back to the other line. I was happy to see her still standing there when I left the store!:D

The separate lines or areas would be a good idea, to prevent misunderstandings.

What all perks, besides VIP check in, does a platinum guest get? I have never noticed anyone doing any of that so far, but if I did, now that I know why, they would be looks of envy, and be dreaming of the day I'l be there. :D

• All Gold member benefits

• Carnival Concierge Club benefits* including:

• Personalized stationery

• A special Carnival logo item

• Guaranteed dining times and supper club reservations

• Complimentary $20 entry fee into blackjack or slots tournament**

• Spa Carnival priority reservations

• Petit fours and/or canapés delivered to cabin*** one evening

• Complimentary wash and fold laundry service

• Priority tender boarding

• Priority embarkation and debarkation

• Complimentary arcade tokens valued at $5 dollars for guests under