What about Breakfast?

ChrisB123

Okay, I've been on cruises before and shortly to take my 5th.:D I feel so dumb asking :o this but what about breakfast on board? Do the dining rooms put on a good spread or is it only buffet/cafe style? Dh and I have always just done room service but want something different this time. :confused:

I only eat in the dining room for breakfast. There is a lovely selection and everything is made to order. You can have eggs any style, with any sides, omelettes, eggs benedict, smoked salmon and bagels, pancakes, french toast, waffles, fruit, yogurt, hot/cold cereal, or just a plate of pastries. Plus, I always prefer to be served rather than doing the buffet.

I only eat in the dining room for breakfast. There is a lovely selection and everything is made to order. You can have eggs any style, with any sides, omelettes, eggs benedict, smoked salmon and bagels, pancakes, french toast, waffles, fruit, yogurt, hot/cold cereal, or just a plate of pastries. Plus, I always prefer to be served rather than doing the buffet.

I absolutely agree with the above, especially the red.

I do all 3.... order tea and pastries from room service to wake me up; then go to the dining room and have eggs and such, then a little later (when DH wakes up! ;) ) up to the buffet and eat a little something while he eats.

I agree. Except for dinner, to me eating in the ship's dining room for breakfast is like eating at Dennys. I don't have to be on a cruise ship to do that. Same with lunch.

I liked the buffet personally, it was nice to have a bit of this and that, or to try something new.

Frankly, we've never eaten in the dining room so I can't say what it's like. I do like the buffet. I have my morning ritual: Scrambled eggs, 2-3 sausage links (I LOVE 'em), a little bit of hash browns. Then I follow that up with LOTS of honeydew melon, cantaloupe and 3-5 slices of cheddar cheese. The melons on the ship are always delicious. I sure miss it because I can't pick a melon to save my life. :o

Okay, I've been on cruises before and shortly to take my 5th.:D I feel so dumb asking :o this but what about breakfast on board? Do the dining rooms put on a good spread or is it only buffet/cafe style? Dh and I have always just done room service but want something different this time. :confused:

Which cruiseline will you be on??? That helps us answer your questions.

Any ship's dining room I have ever been in bore absolutely no similarity to Denny's. To eat at a buffet for breakfast would be like eating at Shoney's.

SO true! I have all three meals in the dining room on Carnival ships because there's a great variety and I've never seen Eggs Benedict on a buffet. I don't care for buffet food that has been sitting in warming pans with everyone dipping out of them.:p Give me the fresh from the kitchen food!

I much prefer being served in a nice, peaceful atmosphere. I don't like half-naked swimmers, etc. walking around a table while I eat; kinda makes me lose my appetite. Some of the buffet bunch make such a mess, too.

Also, I like having the comp espresso and cappuccino for all three meals each day in the dining room on Carnival.

DH and I do the buffet (I do only cereal, yogurt, etc) for breakfast and the grill for lunch because we like to eat outside every chance we can get. We always do dinner in the dining room though.

this is why cruises please so many people, there is no right or wrong answer...it is personal preference......and nothing wrong with choosing dining room over buffet......or vice versa......I like buffet....but people in the dining room are getting great food also.......

Dining room is our choice--you can get pretty much anything you want. Just because the pancakes are listed separate from eggs, you can order both! And you don't have to wait for the syrup while your stuff gets cold, like in the buffet!

And, they SERVE you! It's so nice!

• 3 weeks later...

If we are on Celebrity - DH & DS have to have Belgian waffles and blueberry pancakes from the aft grill, so we do the buffet. On other lines, I enjoy breakfast in the dining room. I don't like the cattle-herding mentality and jockeying for position in the buffet lines. I also want fresh, cooked to order eggs instead of mass-scrambled or sunny side up eggs in a warmer (and oil).

Why fall into the either-or trap. You can have any two or all three. An early room service breakfast, followed by breakfast in the DR and then a late breakfast at the buffet. Don't forget coffee-break time, lunch, tiffin, snack-time, tea- time, dinner, late supper, etc., etc., etc. Enjoy! You're on a cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Most times we eat in the dining room on Royal Caribbean. There are a couple of days when we prefer to go to the buffet. I like the cooked to order omelets which are better in the buffet than in the dining room as there are more choices of items to put in them. I like onions and tomatoes and that isn't a choice in the dining room.

Also, the buffet has the best breakfast potatoes a couple of times during the week. Far better than the little Burger King things you get in the dining room. (At least that's what I am remembering them to be.)

We don't try to rush off the ship on port days so it's not crowded in the buffet. Also, I am not one to rise really early, so sometimes we miss the breakfast in the dining room.

I especially like the smoked salmon presentation (see picture) at breakfast on Princess. In the buffet, they just had it laid out, whereas in the dining room, a little more effort was made in presentation. To me, that makes a dish more appetizing. . .

74216338_Smkdsalmon.jpg.dbb76368f076fae1cb621e71e3c43d48.jpg

Archived