Which dates for New England cruise better for foliage Sept 27 vs Oct 10th 2009??

cruisers4ever

Hi all

First time taking a 7 day RCL cruise Jewel of Seas...which time would be best to see the leaves change? I am assuming the later Oct cruise will be quite chilly? we are Floridians...any help appreciated...we will make our decision bases on some local responses and those who have been on cruises at this time..thanks.

We're outside of Boston and the leaves are usually just changing around October 10. If you take the earlier cruise, you may see more foliage further north, but not in the Boston area. It varies from year to year and is hard to predict.

Here's a thread where the same question was asked:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=804976

Looking a the interactive foliage map that is provided in that thread, September 27 may be too early; October 10 looks better. YMMV

The day time temps on land should be in the mid 60s to 70s; at night, cruising to the next port, it will definitely be chilly. Just layer the clothes, so you can add or subtract clothing according to the temp.

SBtS

Hi all

First time taking a 7 day RCL cruise Jewel of Seas...which time would be best to see the leaves change? I am assuming the later Oct cruise will be quite chilly? we are Floridians...any help appreciated...we will make our decision bases on some local responses and those who have been on cruises at this time..thanks.

What's the itinerary? If it's mostly Canadian and northern New England (Bar Harbor, Portland) ports, I'd say late September will be fine. If it's southern New England (Boston, Newport, Martha's Vineyard) then go for the Oct date instead.

We went mid-late Sept a couple of years ago and nothign had changed in New England or Boston area or Canada and it was warm.. high 70s... weather is a crap shoot so IMHO to be more certain of some foliage would go in October. We just couldn't go in October this year or def. would have opted for an October sailing.

The cruise starts in Boston...Portland...Bar Harbor...Halifax...New Brunswick...

A little of both....I really want my DH to see the leaves..I grew up in Ohio and have seen the beauty of this change in fall...so want the date best for that..from my readings and just knowing how weather is so unpredictable...I guess it will be whatever mother nature provides at the time...thanks for info.

I grew up in the Boston area and i would go for later. Only in Canada could it be too late the rest should be prefer Oct 10th.

I now live in Asheville and I find that late oct to early Nov is Asheville but less than 30 minutes away an d higher up miud oct is perfert so it is always hard to tell.

Also how much rain makes a difference. Dryer means leaves change sooner or just fall off.

I also would definitely go for the later date. Here in south-central New Hampshire, not far from Portland, colors usually peak mid October, around Columbus Day weekend. But, as pointed out by others, this can vary.

Bob

I also would definitely go for the later date. Here in south-central New Hampshire, not far from Portland, colors usually peak mid October, around Columbus Day weekend. But, as pointed out by others, this can vary.

Bob

Exactly. In MA it's closer to the end of October. If you come to this part of New England in September anytime you'll find it green and pretty warm.

I grew up in the Boston area and i would go for later. Only in Canada could it be too late the rest should be prefer Oct 10th.

I now live in Asheville and I find that late oct to early Nov is Asheville but less than 30 minutes away an d higher up miud oct is perfert so it is always hard to tell.

Also how much rain makes a difference. Dryer means leaves change sooner or just fall off.

Robin, we ought to have an abundance of foliage this year! We're about to break records for all time rainfall totals. Most of this rain has been in the form of "50 year" or "100 year" storms that are more like once a week, lol.

I agree with all who say that you will have better foliage in October .... Columbus Day weekend is a usually peak time in the Bar Harbor area (further south Portland/Boston it should be later).

That said our leaves are already starting to change ... the green is getting duller and more yellows/browns atarting to show.

As others have said ... dress in layers .. it is chilly in the morning and will get warmer in the evening ... In Bar Harbor the average high in October is 57 degrees. It will be warmer the further south one goes. Jan

How about right in the middle of the two dates? Come with us on the Oct. 4 sailing. :D

The only thing I can add is that if you go on the later date, I've noticed many places close for the season on/after Columbus day (Oct.13) also Canadian Thanksgiving is Oct. 13 as well. Just something to keep in mind..

Around here people generally drive out to Western Mass. on Columbus Day weekend to see the foliage. By that time it's really amazing up North. But don't know what you'll see along the coastal routes. The best places to see foliage are inland.

• 2 weeks later...

Rhonda is right! For the most spectacular foliage you need to head inland where there are more leaf-bearing trees. I'd really suggest adding 2 nights pre or post cruise and either driving up north to the North Conway area of New Hampshire's White Mountain range or to Vermont's Green Mountains (someplace like Stowe would be great) or to Western Mass. All three of these places....a 3 hour beautiful drive from Boston and you'd be in the mountains surrounded by lots of color, and in areas with lots of farms, corn and pumpkin harvest festivals etc.

And, the Oct 4 or 10 sailings would probably be just about right. Though the timing of foliage changing is a little different every year, at the higher elevations in the mountains, it is earlier than south and towards the ocean...early October should be spectacular!

Happy planning,

Lynne

I'll jump in and agree with the later date, as well as more foliage will be seen inland. But if extra time is not an option, don't sweat it. You should see some at that time. It may not be "peak" time, but it will still be beautiful.

The timing really is unpredictable, but I know a lot of folks who head north around Columbus day... If you go to Bar Harbor, it may be worth getting to the top of Cadillac, a coastal mountain. Beautiful views regardless of what trees are doing, IMHO.

It will be interesting to see when the trees turn up there this year. We were in Acadia camping last week, and noticed some had already turned.

Bring layers! Even in AUgust, we had some 70 degree days and 50 degree nights. ANd if there's a sea breeze...brrrr.

Archived