Future of Formal Nights

Philip217

My company flew me through New York this week enroute to a ship. Since I had one night there, I decided to go shopping in Manhattan.

I needed some new formal shirts, so decided to visit Macys.

Macys Flagship store on 34th street bills itself as "the largest department store in the world".

I visited the Formal Wear section and asked to see formal shirts.

They told me that they didn't have any.

I asked if they were out of stock. They replied that they don't carry them anymore. The reason? No demand.

I was astounded, and asked if they might suggest another place to purchase one.

They recommended several other stores, including Lord & Taylor, Macy's upscale sister outlet.

I walked up to 39th street and searched the 10 floors of Lord & Taylor for about an hour. I asked several employees, but none could tell me where formal shirts were located.

I finally located a small counter that had ONE formal shirt. It wasn't very nice, but amazingly, it was my size.

The clerk told me that they were discontinuing the sale of formal wear due to lack of demand. She sold me the last formal shirt they had.

I tried several other Manhattan department stores, but found nothing.

I had always been of the opinion that Manhattan was one of the dressier cities in America. I bought the last formal shirt in Manhattan.

If you can no longer find a formal shirt in New York, is the demise of Formal Night far away?

Philip,

First, thank you for your always interesting and always very informative posts.

I wear a tux on formal nights but I do not wear a formal shirt with the special buttons. I have several dress shirts of different colors that go very nicely with a black tie, red tie, or a bow tie (the bow tie I rarely wear but my DW does like it and you know who wins that argument). I have been told that I look very nice on formal nights, despite the fact that I do not wear a formal shirt that goes with a tuxedo.

I surely hope that formal nights will not be added to the scrap heap. As you know, formal nights are part of the magic of a cruise vacation. And all I ask, is that passengers respect this tradition at least by wearing something dressy. Dressy does not mean a tux or long gowns, but something that a person wants to wear for a special occasion. I have seen some truly great ensembles on formal nights such as the man who wore an all white suit and the older man who looked absolutely great in a cashmere jacket and a very expensive pair of slacks, shirt and tie. And on one of many (24) cruises, two wonderful gals at our table did wonders with black pants and simple but elegant tops. Although both are successful career women, they told my wife that they had spent very little money on their clothes.

And here is a question for you...if cruise lines get rid of formal nights, what will replace these special nights in terms of special meals, music, entertainment and ambiance? Will the former formal nights just become another night?

Fred

JC Penneys sells all formal wear including shirts. I've noticed them in Kohls as well as Burlington Coat Factory outlets. You may also try formal wear shops, though they tend to be more expensive. One of the reasons may be that some of the younger actors on the "red carpet" for the awards ceremonies wear a simple dress shirt and tie under a tuxedo. For us old folks, just remember what Bob Dylan sang: "The Times They Are a-Changing."

Macys got out of formal attire (at least where I live) many years ago. There are still many shops that sell Formal Attire from the high end Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms to others ends of the spectrum from Joseph A. Banks, Brooks Bothers, J.C. Penney, The Mens Wearhouse, and so forth.

I hope that the tradition of formal attire will stay. Certainly, there are some who do not care for it and some cruise lines that are eliminating it. We will continue to cruise with those cruise lines that keep this tradition.

Keith

I would miss formal nights if they were discontinued. It's the only time, except for weddings, when I can get really dressed up and enjoy a magical evening. I always envy the women who have a man in a tux at their side. If men only knew how sexy they look in a tux, perhaps more of them would wear them.:D

To be honest, I have never seen formal wear for men at Macy's. They still sell evening and cocktail dresses for ladies, but I don't recall seeing dinner suits and/or jackets. However, there are still plenty of options elsewhere, so I don't think that the need for formal attire will go away. I can't say too much about the cruise lines, because they do not really require formal wear (white tie/black tie).

Last but not least, permit me an observation and a question: I have noticed that many people on this board write that cruising is either the only or one of a very few occasions they have to wear formal evening attire. Is that really true?

My DH recently purchased a tux in '05. He had always wanted one so now he always brings it on our cruises. :eek: Yikes if we didn't have any more formal nights where would he get to wear it? He looks so handsome in it I will root for them keeping the formal nights.

Andrea

many of the mass market lines are already noticeably cutting back on what is "formal". Only the luxury lines appear to maintain any resemblence of what we called formal night 20 years ago on cruise ships. I really think in 5 years the 'formal" night we used to know will be done away with, at least on many of the main stream lines.

Whether right or not is another thread for another time.

True "formal" nights are pretty much gone already. On most lines, even if they call it formal night you still will see guys without a tie or jacket and women in "sparkly" tops and pants.

As a society we are much, much more casual then we used to be. The cruise lines are just giving people what they want. Sad but true, many people would probably choose not to cruise if they were told that formal wear was required. And those who do not like to dress formally win the arguement either way: "I have to dress for work all week, its the last thing I want on vacation", or, "I am always dressed casually, so why should I have to step it up on vacation?"

Formal nights are just another in a long line of great cruising traditions falling by the wayside so they can fill the ships.

If you can no longer find a formal shirt in New York, is the demise of Formal Night far away?

I hope that it disappears! But on the otherhand, it does give the "clothes police" something to talk about on these baords!;)

Hey Phillip. I have 2 used formal shirts you can buy as I no longer take them on cruises!!! My wife and I used to bring all sorts of formal wear on our cruises, but with airlines cutting back on luggage allowances, we don't bother anymore. We either bring a suit and a nice outfit that can be worn at formal and other nights, or we rent on board the ship. Not really worth the bother of carrying all that luggage anymore. At least, that's my opinion.

If I want a cruise without any formal nights, I've got plenty of cruise lines to choose from.... however, I do enjoy enjoy formal nights, and it's a pleasure selecting a particular dress shirt, cuff links, a matching bow tie and shoes for a formal night. Persuading the bow tie to behave and lie straight is the start of the evening's entertainment :rolleyes:

There are many cruise lines.... I do hope that at least some affordable lines keep the tradition of formal nights, and enforce them. P&O's Arcadia is my favourite ship, one of the reasons being that on formal nights, everyone is dressed as per the occasion. A few men wear dark suits, but over 95% of men wear a dinner jacket/tuxedo with a bow tie. The women, of course, all look fantastic!

VP

Philip.. You are looking in the wrong places.. Macy's has reduced their inventory at all of their stores, not just formal wear. My wife wears a a very narrow shoe (3A/4A) and cannot find anything at a Macy's. It seems all they now carry are mediums and wides..

I suggest you do a quick search on the net and you will find 100's of places that sell formal wear.. I can run down to our local mall, walk into a Men's Warehouse and pick up one for you if you like. They have many different styles in stock and if they don't have it at that store they can get it sent from another in a day.. Just tell me your size..

Perhaps the topic should be the "demise of the department store" as in the US I've noticed there are very few of these institutions that are true department stores anymore -- unless you want to consider each line of Liz Claiborne as a separate department.

(Just kidding, but only slightly. It does seem as though women's clothing, shoes, and accessories are about all you can get in many so-called department stores.)

With luggage restrictions and costs, I think formal nights will vanish on all but the ships who cater to the wealthy (and those who wish other people to think they are).

I am attending an out of state meeting in a few weeks. The final dinner is listed as 'formal'in the program, tux required for men. They got so much flack they've sent out a notice to all attending the meeting that the final evening will be 'business attire'.

To be honest, I have never seen formal wear for men at Macy's. They still sell evening and cocktail dresses for ladies, but I don't recall seeing dinner suits and/or jackets. However, there are still plenty of options elsewhere, so I don't think that the need for formal attire will go away. I can't say too much about the cruise lines, because they do not really require formal wear (white tie/black tie).

Last but not least, permit me an observation and a question: I have noticed that many people on this board write that cruising is either the only or one of a very few occasions they have to wear formal evening attire. Is that really true?[/quote]

For our family, that is exactly true. If we do go out, it is casual. That's why I love the formal nights, and I hope they stay!

Last but not least, permit me an observation and a question: I have noticed that many people on this board write that cruising is either the only or one of a very few occasions they have to wear formal evening attire. Is that really true?

That's exactly the case with DH and me!!!

Absolutely true for me. I live in a small city in West Texas--nobody here but us and the sheep! Well, maybe not that backwater, but certainly not many opportunities to don formalwear. We do attend a sort of annual debutante ball which required formal dress, but we only go if we know one of the girls being presented, so it's not an every-year thing.

I'd be heartbroken if cruise lines did away with formal nights. My husband isn't fond of them--buttoned collars chafe him both physically and spiritually!--but I adore the extra fillip of sophistication that just a bit longer primping time can bring. I understand that some people don't want to fuss with the added packing, but the right formal dress doesn't take up any more space than a "smart casual" outfit. And if you're a man wearing pants and a shirt anyway, how much more room does a tie and jacket take up?

If you just don't like dressing formally, that's nothing to me--but I hope the cruise lines don't toss the whole idea. It seems like giving up on something, you know?

I sincerely hope that formal nights remain a fixture on cruise lines such as Princess, Celebrity and alike. To DW and myself these formal nights are part of the tradition and magic of cruising and we just love them. As for the excess baggage charges, it costs no more to take a tux then it does a suit and the day that I can't afford the extra charge is the day that I had either better give up cruising or the bottle of wine DW share each night at dinner.

Last but not least, permit me an observation and a question: I have noticed that many people on this board write that cruising is either the only or one of a very few occasions they have to wear formal evening attire. Is that really true?[/quote]

For our family, that is exactly true. If we do go out, it is casual. That's why I love the formal nights, and I hope they stay!

I generally love formal events, too, so I can completely understand the passionate responses. Most ladies very much enjoy dressing up, and most men really like seeing their ladies in evening attire. However, we attend at least a dozen events that require either black tie or even white tie per year, so I have plenty of opportunities. Sometimes it even feels like too many...

My husband is a diplomat currently assigned to Washington, D.C., and before that we were in Seattle and in Vienna, Austria, so I guess our lives are a bit different. I've never lived outside of a big city, and your frame of reference is always what you know and experience as daily life.

I do want cruise lines to keep formal evenings, and I don't think it will go away, as long as so many people still want it.

We only dress up formal/semi-formal mainly for cruises, and maybe for an event or two each year (sometimes none). We drive to cruise ports usually, so luggage/weight isn't as much of an issue for us. But if flying to a port, it would be an issue, and I would be willing to forego formal wear in that instance. I do love formal nights on cruises, but sometimes something has to give.

I understand that some people don't want to fuss with the added packing, but the right formal dress doesn't take up any more space than a "smart casual" outfit. And if you're a man wearing pants and a shirt anyway, how much more room does a tie and jacket take up?

That's not quite true - formal dress for the guys means a suit jacket + an extra pair of matching pants which I don't ware unless I ware my jacket + a shirt that wouldn't be worn at other times. This being eliminated from my suitcase really lightens my load & can be the difference between an extra suitcase.

I for one wouldn't feel sad if the so called formal nights were eliminated but it's doubtful since the cruise lines still make a good profit from the portraits & extra wine sales on those nights.

My company flew me through New York this week enroute to a ship. Since I had one night there, I decided to go shopping in Manhattan.

I needed some new formal shirts, so decided to visit Macys.

Macys Flagship store on 34th street bills itself as "the largest department store in the world".

I visited the Formal Wear section and asked to see formal shirts.

They told me that they didn't have any.

I asked if they were out of stock. They replied that they don't carry them anymore. The reason? No demand.

I was astounded, and asked if they might suggest another place to purchase one.

They recommended several other stores, including Lord & Taylor, Macy's upscale sister outlet.

I walked up to 39th street and searched the 10 floors of Lord & Taylor for about an hour. I asked several employees, but none could tell me where formal shirts were located.

I finally located a small counter that had ONE formal shirt. It wasn't very nice, but amazingly, it was my size.

The clerk told me that they were discontinuing the sale of formal wear due to lack of demand. She sold me the last formal shirt they had.

I tried several other Manhattan department stores, but found nothing.

I had always been of the opinion that Manhattan was one of the dressier cities in America. I bought the last formal shirt in Manhattan.

Philip if you go over to the fashion board I am sure Jane110 can tell you where to buy your shirts. shelives in NY. Is NY the home port for your ship?

I find them at JC Penney here at my home in Atlanta. I am sure though if Macys carried them they would be better quality. Penneys are okay for my hubby's once a year wear. You probally need better. Have you tired online? Does the cruiseline have your mail delivered to the ship for you or do you have to get a post office box?

Archived