Red Hat Society Anyone?

wesp

I contacted the Red hat group nearest to my house, it was just 4 streets away, and I thought it would be great to join a "fun group".

Was told "you have to live in our gated community", I asked "why" and the answer was, "That way we know you will be compatable we do not want people who do not "fit in" with our kind of lifestyle"

Tried a second group her in town, also told by them I had to "live in certain area"

It seems that these groups are very restricted , if you do not live in the "right kind of house,(very expensive homes)" then you are not allowed to join.

I am so sorry for your experience. You know, I suppose when it is my time, I may run into the same thing. We live in a very affluent town(we didn't know that when we movd here), however, we are VERY middle class, and I would not meet the above "requirements"...but MANY do, in my town.

If this hasn't ruined it for you, I wonder, would you be willing to start another chapter with some friends???

Marie

WOW from me as well.......Jimsgirl..sorry you were given that reply too:( ....

Not sure you want to do this, but you know on the website there is a field to "contact us"....why not send them an email?..telling them their attitude s***s....

They want other people to join but then they tell you "you don't live in the area we want" Give me a break....

I won't be attempting to join in 4 years then...I am definitely "middle class"....

Sorry for the response you got when you inquired about joining. Before you all jump to conclusions about the whole organization, my Red Hat experience is anything but exclusive.

I am a member of a Red Hat chapter. As with any club/organization, chapters vary, I am sure. I am sorry that you ran into one that apparently selects members on income or status. In our town no chapter (we have at least 6) excludes by income, but they do seriously limit their size to around 20. Why? This allows meeting in homes, smaller restaurants, getting tickets for events, etc. The whole purpose of the organization is to allow older women to have fun, to be able to "let our hair down". One of the beauties of the Red Hat Society - Cost. We paid $10 to join two years ago, with no fees since. The only cost is whatever each "meeting" costs, such as restaurant meals, plays, etc. Many meetings involve only bringing food to share. Of course, some chapters undoubtedly go for more expensive activities.

Now, to tie this into Cruising. At our next meeting I am showing my pictures from my small ship Antarctica cruise last January. This show has been in great demand for area groups and I have so much fun showing it.

I belong to the Red Hat Society - When I joined online I had the option of finding a local chapter to join (several listed in a search, but most are closed) or joining the "at large" group, which is for those who move around or who haven't found a local group to join. I may try to join a local group later, but not one whose leader has a country club address.

Slinkie

If anyone want to start their own chapter they go to the website and it will tell you how. If you start it you can be come the "Queen Mother". The chapters have to control how many people can join. We have almost 50 and we are stretched to the limit. It is very hard to get reservations for lunch or shows for this amount of people. When we went to that outing in South Jersey we had 5 cars following each other. It was a horror trying to make sure that some in the back didn't get lost. I was in the first car and we had to keep pulling over to the side of the road to find the rest. I am sorry that someone insulted you but that is not how it is with all red hatters. pat

I just went back to read that thread again and Red Hatters are not all living in expensive homes with snooty attitudes. I don't know why they made you feel that way. Maybe they just wanted to have fun with their own friends. Don't judge all Red Hatters that way. Pat

Hi,

I wouldn't even begin to guess where the members of our group fall economically. I guess it would span the whole gamet just as the ages do. We have visitors in their 20's and 80's.

I would not belong to any type of organization that included income as a prerequisite.

Our group is great. We all try to support each other as well as have fun.

Hope those of you who had a negative reaction will rethink.

Debbie

Raudacruise - Actually, the mall WAS identified as Polaris Fashion Place in one of the very first press releases to come out after the terror warnings. However, after that one mention, it was hushed up and just a general statement about "a mall" was released. I watch channel 10 in Cols., and my sis lives about 5 minutes from the mall, and that's where I heard it released! Talk about saying the wrong thing, although not many people heard it, and it was quickly stopped.

Actually, there were 3 malls rumored. Polaris Fashion Place, Tuttle Crossing and City Center. At the time, I think all three were managed by the same company. And that's probably where the rumor came from.

Living only a mile or so away from Tuttle Crossing and using City Center's parking whenever we need to go downtown, glad nothing happened.

That is why you form a Red Hat Society with some of your friends and have a blast. Don't worry about those slobs. They are missing out on a very wonderful person YOU.

I bought a Red Hat fold up hand fan at a quilt store. For those hot flashes. Will have it on my cruise 11/1/2004 to the Panama Canal- Galaxy.

Archived