Tampa Bay dodges another one! (again) - A little "folklore"

Host Dan

Tampa Bay has dodged another bullet! We haven't had a direct hit since 1921. At that time it hit Northern Pinellas County, North of Clearwater, in the Tarpon Springs area. St. Petersburg has NEVER been hit with a hurricane!

I'll fill all my cruise freinds on a little secret. Widely known in this part, but not well known to non-locals. Folklore has it that many many years ago, South Pinellas County, (St. Petersburg), was inhabited by a very active native Indian community. They believed that by burying certain types of ore and minerals around the coast of the county, it would act as a type of forcefield, keeping the hurricanes away. :eek:

It appears that it has worked so far!! (take a look at any hurricane track threatening St. Pete, and you'll see what I mean!) ;)

Host Dan

Hey Dan, do you think we'll be okay flying into Tampa tomorrow on Wed., 8/20, getting in around noon? I'm having a panic attack that we'll miss the boat for Thursday. Please say something to make me feel better!!!

Hey Dan, do you think we'll be okay flying into Tampa tomorrow on Wed., 8/20, getting in around noon? I'm having a panic attack that we'll miss the boat for Thursday. Please say something to make me feel better!!!

You should be A.OK!! Incoming flights shouldn't have a problem. Its the folks that had flights cancelled today LEAVING Tampa that might run into a snag! Have a great cruise! Enjoy!

Host Dan

Point taken, you are flying in a day early..great planning on your part!

Tampa Bay has dodged another bullet! We haven't had a direct hit since 1921. At that time it hit Northern Pinellas County, North of Clearwater, in the Tarpon Springs area. St. Petersburg has NEVER been hit with a hurricane!

I'll fill all my cruise freinds on a little secret. Widely known in this part, but not well known to non-locals. Folklore has it that many many years ago, South Pinellas County, (St. Petersburg), was inhabited by a very active native Indian community. They believed that by burying certain types of ore and minerals around the coast of the county, it would act as a type of forcefield, keeping the hurricanes away. :eek:

It appears that it has worked so far!! (take a look at any hurricane track threatening St. Pete, and you'll see what I mean!) ;)

Host Dan

I hope you're right Dan as I hate watching some of the new projections. Here we dodged damage in Naples, just some electricity out and minor flooding and tree damage and now I have my daughter back in Orlando and have to bring my son to USF in Tampa Friday/Saturday. I'd hate to think we would have to go through Fay again.

Both our kids are in Orlando, they went from our protected (?) haven to the magnet for storms. My son joked a couple of years ago when they kept getting slammed he thought God didn't like Mickey!

We have had rain but so far we are good in Holiday!

Archived