Packing for 6 weeks

cruisy susy

We are planning on cruising 3 back -to-back cruises(on same ship) through Panama Canal and around Horn of South America. Each leg of the trip is two weeks. This time frame will be end of Oct to beginning of December. Since this is the first time we've been gone over 14 days, I am wondering what to pack and how much. There will be climate differences and Halloween and Thanksgiving holidays on board. I've just considered packing for 2 weeks and then sending things out to laundry. Anyone out there been on longer cruises and have some suggestions as to what clothes to pack? I don't believe this cruiseline has self service laundry. (RC)Thanks for any ideas! Susy

No, there is no self-service laundry--you will need to use RCI's services. (Or get off the ship and find a laundrymat!)

On the Panama route, lightweight, summer clothes will be the thing! It's HOT there! During the winter here, it will be spring/summer weather in the southern lattitudes, as well! I don't know where you're coming from, but you won't need winter wear while on your cruise!

We have been on some very long cruises. Some over 100 days.

The key is to bring outfits that you can change up easily. And in terms of what you pack think of the cruise being a couple of weeks.

So, for the man if he normally brings to sports jackets for a 14 day cruise bring 2 sports jackets for this cruise. Same for a woman in terms of her outfits. Most of the passengers will be different from cruise to cruise so plan to repeat from cruise to cruise. And, some items can be reworn several times.

Keep in mind that the extra challenge on your cruise is the cooler weather as you travel south around cape horn. So, you need some clothes for the cooler/windy weather.

Plan to send items out to the laundry on the ship.

It's a wonderful itinerary.

Keith

We are planning on cruising 3 back -to-back cruises(on same ship) through Panama Canal and around Horn of South America. Each leg of the trip is two weeks. This time frame will be end of Oct to beginning of December. Since this is the first time we've been gone over 14 days, I am wondering what to pack and how much. There will be climate differences and Halloween and Thanksgiving holidays on board. I've just considered packing for 2 weeks and then sending things out to laundry. Anyone out there been on longer cruises and have some suggestions as to what clothes to pack? I don't believe this cruiseline has self service laundry. (RC)Thanks for any ideas! Susy

I think you have the right idea, RCI doesn't have self serve laundromats :(

What I'd not bother to pack would be a Halloween costume, I highly doubt you'd be the only one not dressed. If you just can't say no to it, pack something that can be worked into clothing worn at another time, such as black anything, or perhaps just a fun mask instead of a whole costume.

Thanksgiving would just be one of the formal outfits if it falls on a sea day, or a shorter port day. It's not an International Holiday, so it might not be as celebrated as it would be here or on a shorter cruise leaving out of a US port.

Your trip sounds lovely, something we'd love to do one day :) My difficulty would be with the toiletries, though, not so much the clothing!

Ok, I am officially jealous! What a fantastic trip!!

I had a similar challenge last March when I was traveling to the southern US, the Caribbean, and then the northern Midwest ... gone for a month, visiting three climates. I ended up dragging a TON of stuff around the country with me, and I did use hotel laundry room a couple of times.

That said, my recommendations are to find as many double- and triple-duty items as you can and plan to use them A LOT. An example: I needed comfy-casual tennis shoes on my trip, but white ones would not work in Northern Ohio and Chicago in March. I did not want to pack two or more pairs of tennies. I got a pair of cute little black canvas skimmers that worked in Houston and the Caribbean, as well as the Midwest. Take cardigan sweaters that you can wear in the dining room as wraps on formal night, AND as outer layers on deck around the Horn. Things like that. Take a good long look at what you plan to bring and question if one thing could also double as that other thing, then cull that other thing out of there. Takes a lot of work, but can be done.

Happy Ks, Keith1010 cb@sea,& sailorgirlseattle: Wow I was suprised to see so many helpful responses...Thank you all very much! Keith I was thinking of buying an Alpaca sweater in Lima to get me around the Horn....We are leaving from a home port so only need to worry about being in Buenas Aires for 2-3 days at the end of trip and the flight home. I will try to think in terms of 2 weeks..but I have no illusions that I will get it all in one bag (that is my dream).but I will try to bring layers of clothes with me. I got the impression from reading that women wear more skirts in SA Not that I could ever "blend" but was curious. Keith 1010 since you have gone on some long cruises ...I'll check your other posts ..I bet you have alot of general ideas for long cruises. Thanks to You all! Susy

If you think skirts are prevalent in your ports, then bring a bunch! They're great for travel ... easy to dress up and down, can be worn a couple of times between washings, and many can be handwashed in the sink and air-dried. You can always bring some tights or leggings for the colder areas you'll be visiting. They also make great coverups for the pool (use the ones that are currently headed to that sink for a wash-out).

Pack fabrics that do not need a lot of care like black microfiber.

I'd work around a main color like black and pack at least six pair of pants, four skirts, ten interchangable tops (black and neutrals), two dresses, two formal dresses, one formal long black skirt, and four dressy tops to go with the long skirt, and probably three or four jackets.

You can accessorize with jewelry and scarves.

Copper6606:That's right I guess I should write a review being gone for that long...I'll have to read more of other CC reviews to figure out what/how to write one..never thought of myself as a "Reviewer"!

We are still working on our airfare back from Burenas Aires ...we want to spend 3 days/two nights post cruise. Did anyone see the CC article "3 Days/2 nights to Tango"...it's a nice review of what to do post/pre cruise in BA.

Susy

Archived