Why Did Cruise Critic Make the Pages Shorter

Solara

The default is 20 posts. Not sure what it was before, but it doesn't seem like any of the longer threads are any different than the number of pages they showed a few days ago. I'm glad this was brought up as it reminded me to set my posts to 40, as I don't see the need to have to go to multiple pages if I can avoid it.

If CruiseCritic operates like another website where I once worked, the number of pages viewed is an important statistic that advertisers look at. (That is, more page views = more popular and hence better advertising spend.) Maybe that's the reason you now have to view more "pages" to see the same number of posts.

Then again, maybe I'm waaay off base....:confused:

Thanks I was able to change it to 40. They must have changed this when they were working on the boards the last couple of days.

It shows that it's 40 but the page only loads 20, they must have done this for speed.

If CruiseCritic operates like another website where I once worked, the number of pages viewed is an important statistic that advertisers look at. (That is, more page views = more popular and hence better advertising spend.)
I think you hit the nail squarely on the head!

IMHO that's why search is disabled: Not being able to search results in more messages being posted. More activity leads to increased payments.

Lew

What I noticed is that when you are in the forums, there was a box near the bottom that you could go to any other forum. I can't find that now. You have to use the top to go back to the main board page if you want to switch to a different forum.

What I noticed is that when you are in the forums, there was a box near the bottom that you could go to any other forum. I can't find that now. You have to use the top to go back to the main board page if you want to switch to a different forum.

I'd wondered where that had gone too. Thought maybe it was just me. I use it all the time. It's a terrible without it :(

I noticed this too and it's irritating, harder to get around.

IMHO that's why search is disabled: Not being able to search results in more messages being posted. More activity leads to increased payments.
Search isn't disabled. I use it all the time. What is disabled is the ability to search all of the forums at the same time but you can still search within the forum. My guess is that the all-CC search was disabled to improve performance. Whenever you have someone doing a search, and it doesn't matter which website, it takes resources, slowing down performance for everyone.

I am going to guess that all this is a temp thing until they figure out 'again' how to get the boards running smoothly.

It's annoying, but better than the last couple of years when it was almost impossible at times to access anything for days and sometimes weeks at a time. ;) ;) IMHO of coarse!

There is a thread in the help section about the forum jump. I request everyone to post their wish for it to be returned in that thread. Hopefully it is just an oversight in somebody not putting a checkmark in a box in some forum features listing and it will be brought back soon.

I am going to guess that all this is a temp thing until they figure out 'again' how to get the boards running smoothly.

It's annoying, but better than the last couple of years when it was almost impossible at times to access anything for days and sometimes weeks at a time. ;) ;) IMHO of coarse!

Boy isn't that the truth. I am just happy that at least we are back. Now I did like the 40 threads on one page but hey if it will help the speed and the running of this site I say fine, I will just deal with it. I am just glad to see the site running again. As Toto said in the old days we were weeks of slowness, could not get in, etc.

Marilyn

Archived