Southwest Airlines

gettingmarried

This should be a great flight. Southwest was shrewd/lucky to have made a deal which locked in lower fuel costs before the recent "gas war", so they're not having to crack down like the other airlines.

Southwest is not immune to the current economy as they announce plans to cut 196 flights from their schedule by January 11.

So it would be wise to check and recheck your itinerary if you are flying Southwest (or any airline) especially after the end of the year.

Mike:)

I'm not a huge fan of SW primarily due to I always feel like I'm on a cattle call when boarding. Other than that, they do fine.

On every airline you're on a cattle call when boarding, unless you're flying 1st or business class.

On every airline you're on a cattle call when boarding, unless you're flying 1st or business class.

That's how I feel. Cept it's even worse on other airlines as people clog up the aisles trying to find their right seat. Especially if they overshoot it.

One of the biggest advantages of SWA (especially nowadays) is that they do not charge any fees for changes or cancellations; other airlines charge as much as $ 150 for a cancellation and plans do change sometimes for many reasons.

With SWA you put the credit for your canceled flight into your account to use within a year. That is a great feature!

Just used that feature too. Was supposed to go down for a wedding, but kid got sick. Cancelled the day of the flight. Used the credit for a Thanksgiving flight (that was on sale). Who knows how much I'd have been charged had I gone with another airline.

And you can give that credit to someone else. It's easy. They just gotta type in the 5 character code. I've seen people give credit as gifts, get a rewards credit and sell it to a stranger, etc.

"Cattle call" or NOT--- BECAUSE Southwest will and does let you keep your ticket money for another time is well worth booking with them. It is just not right that if you cannot make another airlines they penalize you heavily or flat out do not refund your money. To be able to go on SW website and change dates and times around with NO penalty and cancel with NO penalty makes all the other little "frills" like "having a seat":D well worth it!

It is just not right that if you cannot make another airlines they penalize you heavily or flat out do not refund your money.

Sounds a bit harsh..."just not right". I guess that if you just miss your cruise, those mean cruiselines are wrong to keep your money.

To be able to go on SW website and change dates and times around with NO penalty and cancel with NO penalty makes all the other little "frills" like "having a seat":D well worth it!

And what is it worth to have no protection when WN cancels a flight? Your ticket isn't good towards travel on another airline, and WN will just tell you that you'll go on the next WN flights with space available. No being transfered over to DL or AA - you're stuck.

Trust me...there are various risks that go with flying WN. As long as you're aware of them and willing to accept them, go right ahead. Just know in advance.

In our neck of the woods -- SWA takes up about 1/2 of our total gates. Their new boarding system is a huge improvement, as you don't need to line up in your boarding group until minutes before they start the process.

Since Southwest does not have specific "hubs" you will find more long distance "point to point" flights.

Out of ABQ, if you fly AA, you will fly to DFW first and make connections. CO goes to Houston; Delta to Atlanta; USAir to Phoenix; United to Denver; Frontier to Denver; NW to MSP....,

We can fly SWA non-stop to Phoenix, Tucson, LA, Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Tampa, Orlando, Kansas City, Oakland, Denver, San Diego...,

Another nice feature -- once SWA sets their schedule, they DO NOT make any changes! Having said all that we have two R/T flights scheduled with SWA; three R/T flights with Delta; one R/T flight with CO; and one R/T flight with American. If SWA were to offer flights one year in advance, I would fly them 90% of the time. For us long term planners, this is the one draw back to Southwest.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Sounds a bit harsh..."just not right". I guess that if you just miss your cruise, those mean cruiselines are wrong to keep your money.

And what is it worth to have no protection when WN cancels a flight? Your ticket isn't good towards travel on another airline, and WN will just tell you that you'll go on the next WN flights with space available. No being transfered over to DL or AA - you're stuck.

Trust me...there are various risks that go with flying WN. As long as you're aware of them and willing to accept them, go right ahead. Just know in advance.

HEY! PLAY NICE:( I was merely giving my PERSONAL opinion on how i PERSONALLY admire SW for not having change fees etc. There is really no reason to be facetious or sarcastic! On a personal note- being the grandmother of a burn victim child who needs to fly back and forth to Portland all the time- it is a GREAT relief to know if circumstances warrant it we can CHANGE the reservation WITHOUT paying change fees and this is something we CANNOT always control! SO----that said--we STILL like SOUTHWEST who has worked with us DOZENS of times in this difficult situation! Thank you for any advise you offer-you often have great advise to offer these boards

HEY! PLAY NICE:( I was merely giving my PERSONAL opinion on how i PERSONALLY admire SW for not having change fees etc. There is really no reason to be facetious or sarcastic! On a personal note- being the grandmother of a burn victim child who needs to fly back and forth to Portland all the time- it is a GREAT relief to know if circumstances warrant it we can CHANGE the reservation WITHOUT paying change fees and this is something we CANNOT always control! SO----that said--we STILL like SOUTHWEST who has worked with us DOZENS of times in this difficult situation! Thank you for any advise you offer-you often have great advise to offer these boards

he does have some good points though, just like you have some good ones.

There is really no reason to be facetious or sarcastic!

I detect no facetiousness or sarcasm in Flyertalker's comments. What there is in his posts is a consistent (and so annoying to some) insistence on factual information and full disclosure of both the advantages and disadvantages of any particular airline.

An emotional attachment to any airline or cruise line is mystifying to me. What should be an objective exercise in decision making frequently morphs into a hyper defensive "how dare you attack my favorite ((fill in the blank))" and anyone who who points out the limitations and disadvantages of an airline is challenged as though they insulted your children.

Here it is: flying on Southwest has advantages and disadvantages. If the disadvantages don't matter to you, fly them and be happy. If the disadvantages of cheap consolidator tickets don't matter to you, fly them and be happy. Or be happy until the disadvantages destroy your trip, as they will for a significant number of passengers. But don't bury your head in the sand and refuse to objectively examine the whole picture. If irregular operations happen (gee, what are the chances of that these days), you have more options and help on some airlines (and on some classes of tickets), and less on others. Simple facts.

Airlines have different cancellation and refund policies. It has nothing to do with "not right". It has to do with constructing a business model. If you don't like that business model, take your business elsewhere. That's what a free market economy is all about.

I love SW, we used to fly them from Ont. CA to Oakland and take the Bart into SF twice a month for years. I think the best part about them is that they treat their passengers like real customers instead of the enemy like so many airlines. I never encountered a rude flight attendant like on so many other airlines nowadays. It seems that the idea of service has gone out the window for most flights today. I had the misfortune of flying on American a couple of months ago, my original flight was cancelled so they packed us onto various other flights- but my first class seat was no longer available. I was refunded the difference but I think I'm scarred for life by the treat in the cattle section!

Always fly S.W. whenever we can...my first choice. They are always on time and many times early! Amazing.

If someone has Rapid Rewards miles/tickets and cannot use them, S.W. will allow ANYONE to use them for a nominal fee of $5.00 per ticket. No matter where you intend to fly or no matter the current price of a ticket to that location. Just did that a few months ago with someone's RR miles.

The staff is also worth mentioning. Very friendly, helpful, always smiling and truly genuine in their efforts to inform you of any changes at the gate and willing to help in any way possible. If they are unhappy in any way, they hide it well.

We have received their snacks...told to "take as many of any item as you like", will give you drinks as often as you ask for them...leaving the soda can with you if you ask for it!:D

I don't find the boarding difficult. They now board by the number which appears on your printed boarding pass. There are sections marked off on poles with the numbes of folks who should stand in that area. No need to stand in A, B or C lines anymore so no need to stand up an hour before boarding for those who just have to be the first on a flight.

I love their princes from Buffalo, NY and the fact that the flights I need are direct. Always a plus. You can't go wrong with S.W. They don't change their flights constantly as others are doing on a regular basis.:(

I detect no facetiousness or sarcasm in Flyertalker's comments. What there is in his posts is a consistent (and so annoying to some) insistence on factual information and full disclosure of both the advantages and disadvantages of any particular airline.

An emotional attachment to any airline or cruise line is mystifying to me. What should be an objective exercise in decision making frequently morphs into a hyper defensive "how dare you attack my favorite ((fill in the blank))" and anyone who who points out the limitations and disadvantages of an airline is challenged as though they insulted your children.

Here it is: flying on Southwest has advantages and disadvantages. If the disadvantages don't matter to you, fly them and be happy. If the disadvantages of cheap consolidator tickets don't matter to you, fly them and be happy. Or be happy until the disadvantages destroy your trip, as they will for a significant number of passengers. But don't bury your head in the sand and refuse to objectively examine the whole picture. If irregular operations happen (gee, what are the chances of that these days), you have more options and help on some airlines (and on some classes of tickets), and less on others. Simple facts.

Airlines have different cancellation and refund policies. It has nothing to do with "not right". It has to do with constructing a business model. If you don't like that business model, take your business elsewhere. That's what a free market economy is all about.

Originally Posted by IDKaren viewpost.gif

It is just not right that if you cannot make another airlines they penalize you heavily or flat out do not refund your money.

THIS was the part I meant about being facetious or sarcastic! Actually the rest of his advice and opionion is quite good as is yours! Ok--on to happier times and subjects! Thanks!

I have said this before .. but it is still true ... SWA is either an airline that you love and appreciate or an airline that you truly dislike and will never satisfy you. Good to have choices in the sky .. just like on land and on the sea .. that way there is something for everyone.

Hi,

We live in Ontario, Canada and are thinking of booking our flights with SOUTHWEST AIR out of Buffalo New York for February cruise 2009. Does anyone have any opinions/comments about this airline? It is a non-stop flight to Fort Lauderdale

Thanks!

You have four options from BUF > FLL. Non-stop. Or switch in Baltimore, Orlando, or Tampa. I would try and avoid Baltimore in February though due to the winter weather.

Southwest used to be my primary airline when I lived in Maryland and loved them. I wish they would fly to Minneapolis but we are stuck with Northwest hogging 90% of the gates and ripoff airfares.

Regarding the cattle call. I've never experienced it. In fact, you are discouraged from lining up early. I don't mind the 24 hour wait to get a boarding pass. Having an A ticket really worked out for me once. I got to the gate 5 minutes after boarding had started, just as the B's were boarding but my A pass got me on the plane without having to wait. You literally can wait until boarding time to get to the airport, if you have checked in, online. Priceless :) .

Archived