Anyone else think Baked Alaska is overrated

I don't like baked alaska at all, on my last RCI cruise, my waiter refused to bring me anything else on baked alaska night, and all that the maiter'd said when I complained to him was "you'll love it, it's our specialty!" I excused myself and left the dining room.:mad:

MAC

We had it on the Miracle a couple years ago and they didn't ask us if we wanted it. I tried it and thought it was ok. I was a little confused as to why they made a big deal about it.

Antoine's version is much better than anything you'll find on a cruise ship.

p_bakedalaska.jpg

Not a traditional variety, it only has 1061 calories per serving!

A thousand calories!!!! OMG!!!! I had no idea. lol

The one on the photo serves 2. So that's why I didn't lose any weight that week....... :eek:

Does anyone else think that the Baked Alaska is overrated.

Yes, *especially* on a cruise ship. When done right, it's a fun dessert--hot and cold at the same time, and all that. But mass-produced it's no big deal.

Unfortunately, I find that a lot of cruise food that is supposed to be spectacular ends up being enjoyable but hardly extraordinary. (Midnight chocolate buffets...eh. More like an excuse to get rid of leftover desserts from previous nights.)

But that doesn't stop me from eating it...

A thousand calories!!!! OMG!!!! I had no idea. lol

The one on the photo serves 2. So that's why I didn't lose any weight that week....... :eek:

A slice of Emeril's Banana Creme Pie is something over 1595 calories (and 85 grams of fat). :eek:

2575625089_94afa6b6ed.jpg

A few of you mentioned Bitter n Blanc. I've been reading about Bitter n Blanc on these boards for over a year now. On my last cruise I did not see it on the menu. What on earth is it? Can you describe it please? Is it something that's not normally on the menu?

Bitter and Blanc is a warm, dark, and white chocolate bread pudding with a vanilla sauce and is wonderful.

IMG_5242.JPG

Bked Alaska is not what it used to be, in RCI is divine, the one in Carnival is like Neapolitan Ice cream to me. overated !! Is the way Carnivals does it that does not match up to the real dessert. Is the Carnival one that is bad in my opinion

Have had it on both lines- RCI and Carnival- and find it over rated on both. ALWAYS order something else.

IMO, it is the worst dessert served on any ship. The fake meringue is terrible and the ice cream is never very cold or firm. It is usually just a sickly sweet blob of goop by the time it is served.

I rememebr the cherrie Jubille Gma !! last time I see that was on the Majesty of the seas in 98 RCI, I have never see that dessrt prepared by a maitre d in Carnival so far lol. Do they ever do it??? that was another yoummy

I haven't seen it for years on Carnival. Not the flaming variety anyway. Ooooo, it was so good...that tiny bit of brandy taste, those dark bing cherries and vanilla ice cream. Sigh!

Be still, my heart.

I had it on a Princess Cruise..the whole waiters , fire, parade thing.

Tell new hubby about it on pur "wedding cruise" with Canrival & didn't even see it on menu:rolleyes:

So although I have yet to try melting chocolate or have BA with hubby it's more the "tradition" of it I miss. I hope to find it on this next, although short cruise...

Hmm....apparently there is a lobster night we also missed... Is this true???

Bitter and Blanc is a warm, dark, and white chocolate bread pudding with a vanilla sauce and is wonderful.

IMG_5242.JPG

Thanks for posting the photo. This really looks familiar to me. I'm pretty sure I've had it on a previous cruise. I just don't remember the name bitter n blanc. Thanks again. Looks yummy. I think a scoop of vanilla ice cream would go great with it.

I had it on a Princess Cruise..the whole waiters , fire, parade thing.

Tell new hubby about it on pur "wedding cruise" with Canrival & didn't even see it on menu:rolleyes:

So although I have yet to try melting chocolate or have BA with hubby it's more the "tradition" of it I miss. I hope to find it on this next, although short cruise...

Hmm....apparently there is a lobster night we also missed... Is this true???

I've done the Ecstasy 5 day cruise twice and will probably do it again within the next year. We had lobster one night on both cruises. It was really good on both cruises. The only thing I didn't like on the Ecstasy were the steaks. Never had a good one. But, one night my son ordered one and I tasted it. Thought his was pretty good. At least it was tender. Guess I just had bad luck. If you like Reubens, make sure you get one at the Deli. They were awesome!

Thanks for posting the photo. This really looks familiar to me. I'm pretty sure I've had it on a previous cruise. I just don't remember the name bitter n blanc. Thanks again. Looks yummy. I think a scoop of vanilla ice cream would go great with it.

You're welcome. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is ALWAYS an option. You can even order it on the side if unsure...

With any dessert you can say skip the sauce or serve the sauce on the side and include a scoop of vanilla ice cream while you're at it.

IMG_2676.JPG

I've done the Ecstasy 5 day cruise twice and will probably do it again within the next year. We had lobster one night on both cruises. It was really good on both cruises. The only thing I didn't like on the Ecstasy were the steaks. Never had a good one. But, one night my son ordered one and I tasted it. Thought his was pretty good. At least it was tender. Guess I just had bad luck. If you like Reubens, make sure you get one at the Deli. They were awesome!

Thanks I will now watch for this..Love the seafood

I'd eat the Baked Alaska before having the warm chocolate melting cake.....Had that for the first time on my last cruise and it was warm cake with Hershey's chocolate syrup and powdered sugar......It was a huge dissappointment......

I'd eat the Baked Alaska before having the warm chocolate melting cake.....Had that for the first time on my last cruise and it was warm cake with Hershey's chocolate syrup and powdered sugar......It was a huge dissappointment......

They don't use Hershey's syrup. Next time try ordering it well done.

I had baked alaska once about 20 yrs. ago and it was great. It was nothing like what was served on the Fantasy. I agree that Carnival's version is nothing more than mediocre neapolitan ice cream on a piece of cake with whipped cream. I took about two bites and left the rest.

I'm not a fan of the warm melting cake either. Although I love chocolate, I'm not a lava cake fan. My two favorite desserts on our cruise was the chocolate mousse cake I ordered thru the formalities shop (well worth the $9) and the piece of mocha cake I had at the midnight buffet. The mocha cake was at least 5 layers.

We just returned from Victory yesterday - Thursday (Halifax) night, our waiter brought out the Baked Alaska for the table without offering dessert menus. First time in 8 cruises that's happened. I had never ordered it before, so I went with it - it was okay, but not what I would have ordered, given the choice. I wondered whether it was a cost-cutting move.:confused:

We just returned from Victory yesterday - Thursday (Halifax) night, our waiter brought out the Baked Alaska for the table without offering dessert menus. First time in 8 cruises that's happened. I had never ordered it before, so I went with it - it was okay, but not what I would have ordered, given the choice. I wondered whether it was a cost-cutting move. :confused:

That's what I'm wondering, too :( .

Archived