Anyone else think Baked Alaska is overrated

We just returned from Victory yesterday - Thursday (Halifax) night, our waiter brought out the Baked Alaska for the table without offering dessert menus. First time in 8 cruises that's happened. I had never ordered it before, so I went with it - it was okay, but not what I would have ordered, given the choice. I wondered whether it was a cost-cutting move.:confused:
I believe that it depends on the cruise line and ship. More often than not we've had the baked alaska brought without ever having a chance to order anything else.

Charlie

There's nothing wrong with this thread.

I see plenty of threads about the Chocolate Melting cake.

there is so much said about that cake it can border on obsessive and I might also add, at the risk of getting blasted, it too is HIGHLY OVERRATED! I liken the taste to doughy goo. I have had much better melting cake from Sam's Club and/or Aldi's (a discount super market).

We just returned from Victory yesterday - Thursday (Halifax) night, our waiter brought out the Baked Alaska for the table without offering dessert menus. First time in 8 cruises that's happened. I had never ordered it before, so I went with it - it was okay, but not what I would have ordered, given the choice. I wondered whether it was a cost-cutting move.:confused:

Nobody is forcing anyone to eat Baked Alaska. If they bring it out, just say "no thank you" and ask for the dessert menu or order what you would like to have.

Good grief. Why does everyone seem to think it's all some kind of big cost-cutting consipiracy everytime things don't go as expected? Sheesh.:cool:

I remember way back when we first started cruising (in the '80s), baked Alaska was served on formal night. And it was the only night they turned down the lights and music played and the waiters paraded them around the room. Weren't they flaming things back then? Ah, good times. ;) The whole experience (just BEING on a cruise) was a little more "special" - back before everybody and their housekeeper could afford to cruise! (I'm not being a snot, and no offense to housekeepers, I'm just sayin'...:) )

NOW, on Carnival anyway, it happens every single stinking night! With those awful, gaudy lights flashing, loud music playing and the waiters AND guests doing the chicken dance and the cha-cha slide......well.....NOTHING is quite as special any more!

But back to Baked Alaska - I can live without it. I think it's just a staple and a remembrance of days gone by!

Baked Alaska was something special back when pork noodles and tacos were "exotic" (many moons ago - when I was a kid). Most people have been exposed to a greater variety of foods and tastes now days - - - Baked Alaska has become.... boring. :cool:

As a fashionable dessert Baked Alaska has gone the way of tomato aspic and congealed desserts. It's history. Why resurrect it? The novelty is gone. Add to it Cherries Jubilee, too. Today we have more sophisticated tastes. And what is good about eating half-melted ice cream with meringue and soggy cake? Served up it doesn't appear very eligant either.

As a fashionable dessert Baked Alaska has gone the way of tomato aspic and congealed desserts. It's history. Why resurrect it? The novelty is gone. Add to it Cherries Jubilee, too. Today we have more sophisticated tastes. And what is good about eating half-melted ice cream with meringue and soggy cake? Served up it doesn't appear very eligant either.

Quite true! I will always go for some really good Bananas Foster, though! Haven't seen THAT in a while!

I agree. My restaurant playground is New Orleans and so I'm expecting to be very disappointed in the quality of food on Carnival. I'll go in with an open mind, but.... how could it possibly compete with my usual bistro fare?

And what is this about waiters doing the chicken dance???? What??? I've only been on NCL and Dh and I LOVE freestyle dinners (not speaking of food quality.. just the choice factor). We're apprehensive about scheduled dinners (DH is downright ticked about it but doesn't want to do the buffet). Are we going to have to sit through that nonsense? And chocolate melting cake... not to sound snotty, but I can't think of anything better to make me gag.... sounds dreadful!

As a fashionable dessert Baked Alaska has gone the way of tomato aspic and congealed desserts. It's history. Why resurrect it? The novelty is gone. Add to it Cherries Jubilee, too.

You're showing your age on that one! LOL! Oh, my mother had certain days of the week in which she prepared the tomato aspic and jello salads.:p You must be a baby boomer too, like so many of us!:)

I really don't care for Baked Alaska. The one time it was served to me without my requesting it, I just set it aside and asked for a dessert menu. It was not problem at all. I know there are many who enjoy the 'tradition' of Baked Alaska and I'm happy it is still being served. It's just not a dessert for me.

And what is this about waiters doing the chicken dance???? What??? ...Are we going to have to sit through that nonsense? And chocolate melting cake... not to sound snotty, but I can't think of anything better to make me gag.... sounds dreadful!

Yes, they do some kind of silly dancing EVERY night I think. The lights flash and people applaud and hoot like idiots. Makes ya wonder if some of those people EVER get out! But it is what it is and it's not like you have to participate. ALTHOUGH, we were in silly enough moods that we DID do the cha-cha slide....that one's fun. The boys couldn't believe I knew it!

Chocolate melting cake - you love it or hate it. I love it, but could never eat the entire thing even though it's small. It's like hot chocolate pudding with a cake-y crust. Very rich.

I just got off the Liberty, and the baked Alaska was nothing special. Now the chocolate melting cake is something else. I tried it because I heard so much about it. I loved it and had it almost every evening.

Good grief. Why does everyone seem to think it's all some kind of big cost-cutting consipiracy everytime things don't go as expected? Sheesh.:cool:

Because if you read my post carefully' date=' you would see that this is the first time in our [b']eight[/b] Carnival cruises that a dessert was just brought out without offering a dessert menu. The Baked Alaska was always offered as an option on the dessert menu on the other cruises. Bringing out a dessert without offering other options (yes, I know I could have had something else if I asked:rolleyes:) struck me as a banquet hall practice. Coupled with the elimination of a separate salad course (and yes, you can order salad under the Appetizers menu and you can order more than one appetizer - and I did) and more standardized side dishes, it sure looked like money-saving to me. Don't get me wrong - the food was good - but overall it seemed one step closer to a typical hotel banquet experience.

Because if you read my post carefully, you would see that this is the first time in our eight Carnival cruises that a dessert was just brought out without offering a dessert menu. The Baked Alaska was always offered as an option on the dessert menu on the other cruises. Bringing out a dessert without offering other options (yes, I know I could have had something else if I asked:rolleyes:) struck me as a banquet hall practice. Coupled with the elimination of a separate salad course (and yes, you can order salad under the Appetizers menu and you can order more than one appetizer - and I did) and more standardized side dishes, it sure looked like money-saving to me. Don't get me wrong - the food was good - but overall it seemed one step closer to a typical hotel banquet experience.

We weren't offered a desert menu either, our waiter told us " this is all we have tonight" now I know better, I'm asking for the menu because I don't care for it either. I don't think it has anything to do with cost cutting, I just think it's what they do.:eek:

Archived