Anyone else think Baked Alaska is overrated

Does anyone else think that the Baked Alaska is overrated. It's supposed to be a "cruise specialty" a special cruise treat, all it really is neopolitin (sp?) icecream. And not even really good ice cream either, just okay. The dessert just has a fancy name, if they just put on the menu neopolitin icecream a lot less would order it. People look at the menu and there like ooohh Baked Alaska ooohh sounds good. Well the name of the dessert is much better than the dessert itself. I won't be ordering it anymore 'cause it certainly does not live up to the hype. It has a good reputation of being a fancy high quality dessert but I don't think it is.

Just my opinion. Thoughts?

Does anyone else think that the Baked Alaska is overrated. It's supposed to be a "cruise specialty" a special cruise treat, all it really is neopolitin (sp?) icecream. And not even really good ice cream either, just okay. The dessert just has a fancy name, if they just put on the menu neopolitin icecream a lot less would order it. People look at the menu and there like ooohh Baked Alaska ooohh sounds good. Well the name of the dessert is much better than the dessert itself. I won't be ordering it anymore 'cause it certainly does not live up to the hype. It has a good reputation of being a fancy high quality dessert but I don't think it is.

Bked Alaska is not what it used to be, in RCI is divine, the one in Carnival is like Neapolitan Ice cream to me. overated !! Is the way Carnivals does it that does not match up to the real dessert. Is the Carnival one that is bad in my opinion

Hey, you don't like it don't order it.

I don't see any need for a thread about your personal desert preference. :rolleyes:

I won't order it. I just wanted to see what other people's opinion's were.

This is a cruise messageboard where you discuss topics that are cruise related. This is cruise realted, it's what this messageboard is for.

If all you can think to type is some sarcastic remark, and you don't think there's a need for this thread then just ignore it and post in another thread.:confused:

Even way back on cruise number one, they look at me strange after they've paraded around the whole Dr, even in the days of open flames, and I've asked for a dessert menu.

Cherries Jubilee night as well.

Baked Alaska night used to be an EVENT.... way before the waiters sang EVERY NIGHT.

It was a cruise tradition... light those babies up and parade around!

Now... it is just another dessert.

It is part of the menu, just take it or leave it.

Catrin

We don't particularly like it either and always order another dessert. The waiters always seem so disappointed when you don't want any, but I never order ice cream for dessert anyway.

Yeah I don't think much of it either. Same for the melting cake, not my cup of tea either.

The waiters like to "hype it up" also, cuz it is alot easier to bring that out!!! I am not a fan of it, so I politely ask for a dessert menu and as a matter of fact, the last cruise I was on, there were 6 of us at the table, and we all declined the Baked Alaska!! :)

I agree completely.

Nita

I had it one time.

The woman at the next table told me to try it because it was the best thing ever! Blah blah blah!

When it came I looked at her and without thinking I said..."Its just a piece of cake with nepolian ice cream." I thought it was some sort of a joke or that my waiter made a mistake and brought me the wrong thing. I hurt her feelings. :o

Now lets talk about this chocolate melting "cake".

I have one question!

WHERE IS THE CAKE PART?

Baked Alaska night used to be an EVENT.... way before the waiters sang EVERY NIGHT.

It was a cruise tradition... light those babies up and parade around!

Now... it is just another dessert.

It is part of the menu, just take it or leave it.

Catrin

Catrin is right-on.

In the days before dancing waiters, this was the big cruise dining event. As much show as desert. The waiters would march around with the flaming Baked Alaska, many with them balanced on their heads. If you didn't experience it you wouldn't understand the tradition.

I ate baked alaska almost every night on a HAL cruise because it was delicious. They had a different variation every night. I couldn't believe what I was served (that they called baked alaska) after the parade on Carnival. It was not my "cup of tea". For the next cruise, I asked for the dessert menu; but the waiter really seemed to want me to eat the alaska. I opted for the chocolate melting cake instead. We all have our preferences. I suggest that some day you try Baked Alaska on another cruise line.

On our last Carnival cruise, they didn't have a Baked Alaska parade...and I didn't miss it one bit.

Catrin is right-on.

In the days before dancing waiters, this was the big cruise dining event. As much show as desert. The waiters would march around with the flaming Baked Alaska, many with them balanced on their heads. If you didn't experience it you wouldn't understand the tradition.

This. I remember it from the early 70's. As a kid it was very impressive. I think the tradition dates back to the days of steam liners. Holland still dims the lights and put sparklers on it and parade it around, I was disappointed when Carnival just put it on a plate and served.

The only part of "Baked Alaska" that was any good at all disappeared a long time ago.

It was served on the last night of the cruise. The lights in the dining room would be dimmed and here would come the waiters, Baked Alaska balanced on their heads and flaming!!!!! They'd file around the dining room, cakes aflame, with Calypso music playing......

Since this stopped, it has become a boring dessert outshined by other selections. I find the ice cream boring and the cake dry.......

Ah, but those flames.......the music........the dancing waiters delivering it to your table.... That was a whole other thing!!!:)

Another goodie that has disappeared. Anyone remember Cherries Jubilee? Also served flaming and spooned over delicious vanilla ice cream. YUM!!

Here's another "no" vote for the Baked Alaska. I do remember it on my cruises back in 89 and 94. They flamed it back then. It was somewhat special so we always ordered it then. I tried it on my last cruise and couldn't even eat it. There are much better desserts to be had.

And I asked this question on another thread about a month ago and nobody ever answered it. I read on here all the rave reviews about the chocolate melting cake. So on my last Carnival cruise I ordered one. I couldn't eat it. I thought it was awful. It was runny inside and tasted like raw warm runny dough. Was mine just not done? Or is this the way it's supposed to be? Maybe I just got a bad one. I hope someone can answer this.

Archived