Anyone else think Baked Alaska is overrated

Here's another "no" vote for the Baked Alaska. I do remember it on my cruises back in 89 and 94. They flamed it back then. It was somewhat special so we always ordered it then. I tried it on my last cruise and couldn't even eat it. There are much better desserts to be had.

And I asked this question on another thread about a month ago and nobody ever answered it. I read on here all the rave reviews about the chocolate melting cake. So on my last Carnival cruise I ordered one. I couldn't eat it. I thought it was awful. It was runny inside and tasted like raw warm runny dough. Was mine just not done? Or is this the way it's supposed to be? Maybe I just got a bad one. I hope someone can answer this.

my son got the chocolate melting cake every night on valor. i thought that it tasted different & the texture was different from night to night. the time i ordered it, it was absolutely delicious. however, one night it would be runnier & even once it tasted more like dark dark chocolate. it is always pudding-like in the middle, but should have some cake-like texture in my opinion. at least that's what mine was like the night that it tasted best. hubby did not like it, but the rest of the family did.

Thanks Deanna,

If it had pudding or custard inside I know I would love it. It's that raw batter taste that I don't like. But, I'm also one of those folks that don't like the cookie-dough ice cream you buy in the store either. Eck! :)

I also was dissapointed in the Baked Alaske. The choc melting cake is suppose to have some cake around the outside with the gooey warm fudge on the inside. Well, last summer on the Conquest it was PERFECT....this year on the Fantasy they just didnt bake it long enough....I was dissapointed. It was nothing but a bowl of warm fudge. A couple of bites with the icecream and I was done.

I have never been crazy about the Baked Alaska on cruise ships.

Now a while back on the Food Network , they did a segment about the history of it. I believe it originated at Delmonicos in NYC. (which is still there after 100 plus years)

The one they made looked fantastic :)

Can you ask your waiter to bring it to you on his/her head?

They will parade with the baked alaskas in their heads in RCI Majesty of the seas back in 1998, it was so fun and yummy nothing to do with this Neapolitan Ice cream lol.

The only part of "Baked Alaska" that was any good at all disappeared a long time ago.

It was served on the last night of the cruise. The lights in the dining room would be dimmed and here would come the waiters' date=' Baked Alaska balanced on their heads and flaming!!!!! They'd file around the dining room, cakes aflame, with Calypso music playing......

Since this stopped, it has become a boring dessert outshined by other selections. I find the ice cream boring and the cake dry.......

Ah, but those flames.......the music........the dancing waiters delivering it to your table.... That was a whole other thing!!!:)

Another goodie that has disappeared. Anyone remember Cherries Jubilee? Also served flaming and spooned over delicious vanilla ice cream. YUM!![/quote']

I rememebr the cherrie Jubille Gma !! last time I see that was on the Majesty of the seas in 98 RCI, I have never see that dessrt prepared by a maitre d in Carnival so far lol. Do they ever do it??? that was another yoummy

Does anyone else think that the Baked Alaska is overrated. It's supposed to be a "cruise specialty" a special cruise treat, all it really is neopolitin (sp?) icecream. And not even really good ice cream either, just okay. The dessert just has a fancy name, if they just put on the menu neopolitin icecream a lot less would order it. People look at the menu and there like ooohh Baked Alaska ooohh sounds good. Well the name of the dessert is much better than the dessert itself. I won't be ordering it anymore 'cause it certainly does not live up to the hype. It has a good reputation of being a fancy high quality dessert but I don't think it is.

Just my opinion. Thoughts?

I agree.

I imagine it's difficult to present this dessert...torching ice cream and not melting it can't be too easy, but I'd rather eat a bowl of chocolate pudding to be honest. Baked Alaska doesn't float my boat....but Creme Brule does.

I guess i'm the only one that looks forward to it.I am an ice cream addict and would eat baked alaska every night if I could.In fact 1 cruise waiter brought me my own ,a whole one. The chocolate melting cake I did not like,too much chocolate.But this is why you have a choice.

In 2006 we were on Princess and they served Baked Alaska on the last night. We were coming home from a 10 day cruise to Alaska....i thought why not serve it on the first night to help celebrate us going to Alaska....it did not make since to me....

Oh, yea... totally overrated. I even had it at Antoine's in New Orleans (their speciality) and it just isn't interesting.

Antoine's version is much better than anything you'll find on a cruise ship.

p_bakedalaska.jpg

Not a traditional variety, it only has 1061 calories per serving!

Antoine's version is much better than anything you'll find on a cruise ship.

p_bakedalaska.jpg

Not a traditional variety, it only has 1061 calories per serving!

I am assumeing whats in this picture is more than one serving :( *LOL*

My husband ordered the Baked Alaska and Warm Melting Cake for dessert and let me sample them.

I didn't care for either. I liked the topping of the B.A. but not the rest.

The W. M. C. filling was too liquidy and tasted like melted chocolate chips rather than the pudding or fudge taste I'd expected.

I'll stick with my favorite desserts - Spa Carnival Orange Cake and Spa Carnival Coconut Cake...Delicious, light, flavorful, and better on my hips :eek: .

Does anyone else think that the Baked Alaska is overrated. It's supposed to be a "cruise specialty" a special cruise treat, all it really is neopolitin (sp?) icecream. And not even really good ice cream either, just okay. The dessert just has a fancy name, if they just put on the menu neopolitin icecream a lot less would order it. People look at the menu and there like ooohh Baked Alaska ooohh sounds good. Well the name of the dessert is much better than the dessert itself. I won't be ordering it anymore 'cause it certainly does not live up to the hype. It has a good reputation of being a fancy high quality dessert but I don't think it is.

Just my opinion. Thoughts?

I like it a lot. The only place I get to eat it is on a cruise. I can't find it here in South Jersey. I take what I can get and the one on Carnival is just fine to me

I don't like baked alaska at all, on my last RCI cruise, my waiter refused to bring me anything else on baked alaska night, and all that the maiter'd said when I complained to him was "you'll love it, it's our specialty!" I excused myself and left the dining room.:mad:

MAC

ITA. I've have Baked Alaska at sea and on land, it's never hit the spot for me. I thought the Chocolate Melting Cake was also overrated. Now, I don't think there can be enough praises though for the Grand Marnier Souffle and the Bitter 'n Blanc.

Give me a creme brulee or grand mariner souffle anyday. :D Don't really care for either the baked alaska or the melting cake....

Same here.

A true Baked Alaska contains ice cream that actually has some flavor and a cake layer that tastes like something other than cardboard. I always pass on desserts on the BA evenings (and my waistline thanks me).:D which doesn't

Love creme' brulee and grand mariner souffle.

Only way I can get through the warm melting cake is with a side dish full of at least 2 huge scoops of vanilla ice cream - one scoop to help the gooey chocolate go down my throat and the other scoop to cleanse the gooey chocolate from my throat at the end.

Dianne

A few of you mentioned Bitter n Blanc. I've been reading about Bitter n Blanc on these boards for over a year now. On my last cruise I did not see it on the menu. What on earth is it? Can you describe it please? Is it something that's not normally on the menu?

Archived