Are one piece swimsuits too frumpy?

I don't think 1- piece suits have to be frumpy. But I also don't think that majority of adult women are meant to wear a bikini....I've seen more skin on many of our cruises than I would like to see!

I understand your hubby wanting you to look good...I would buy a really sexy teddy or some other "private outfit" and blow his mind in the stateroom- then, like another poster said, let him know you reserve the "show" just for him. Pick up a stylish 1-piece or tankini- you'll have a better time if you're comfortable. I buy my tankinis at landsend.com. They're WONDERFUL!! I never feel frumpy, I always look classy- and I don't give anyone an unwanted show.

There are a lot of great 1 pc suits out there - not frumpy at all. I gave up on bikinis a while back...something about being 48 they just didn't fit my personality anymore. I do 1 pc and tankini's now.

If you want to slim down or just have everything look firmer - try the Miracle Suits. I like them and there is lots of variety. Just make sure you order the size that fits you. If you order something that is small, the flab still has to come out somewhere:p

If you do a search on the internet, you will find ton's of places that are offering great deals right now.

I don't think 1- piece suits have to be frumpy. But I also don't think that majority of adult women are meant to wear a bikini....I've seen more skin on many of our cruises than I would like to see!

I understand your hubby wanting you to look good...I would buy a really sexy teddy or some other "private outfit" and blow his mind in the stateroom- then, like another poster said, let him know you reserve the "show" just for him.

total agreement.. one other thing.. I often see women wearing two piece or bikinis that have some problem areas. Not overly plump just someone with a little more to show than is necessary. Same thing for clothing. mid-drifts, tight or see through clothing. If they dressed properly no one ever guess. Everyone has the right to dress they want to dress but it seems like some women/girls want to bring attention to those issues.

total agreement.. one other thing.. I often see women wearing two piece or bikinis that have some problem areas. Not overly plump just someone with a little more to show than is necessary. Same thing for clothing. mid-drifts, tight or see through clothing. If they dressed properly no one ever guess. Everyone has the right to dress they want to dress but it seems like some women/girls want to bring attention to those issues.

I think sometimes people just do not realize how bad they look. I know myself, I have thought something looked well on me until I saw myself on video.

I am a firm "disciple" in believing we should dress to make ourselves look better,to play down our flaws-NOT to wear things that make us look worse and emphasize our flaws-just because those things are "in". I love that show What Not To Wear as I have received some great pointers from that show for my body type.

Brightfeather - THANK YOU for that link to the board shorts website!! I'm going on my first cruise in Jan., and as a plus-size gal I've been agonizing over what to do about a swimsuit. Now I know - I will wear my one-piece with a pair of kick-a$$ board shorts over it!

All my extra weight is around my gut, so I was REALLY, REALLY not looking forward to having to wear a bathing suit "as is." Now I don't have to! :)

I don't know what this style is called..but they were the rage at Kohl's this summer..the bottom was a type of "boy short" and the top was a "long" halter style that pulled down to the shorts..the sides were shirred. It was just like one my mom wore in the 40's. I bought one and it was one of my favorites. It wasn't called a "tankini" either....I hate those..IMO if you have a large belly they do indeed make you look like a tank..bad name!

OctoberBride08, I have similar stats to you, and I found a nice tankini from Victoria's Secret that came with a matching swimskirt. The great thing is I just slip the skirt on when I want to go into the buffet for a bite and it looks almost like a sundress. No running back to the cabin to change or cover up... :)

Thanks everyone for your responses!! I didn't think the thread would take off like it did!:D

I bought SIX swimsuits....I know thats a little much, but I love variety, ha.

Here are a few of the suits I bought:

The first one is from Alicia Simone, the second one from CelebrityOnAir(its a 3 piece set) and the last one from Land's End.

10352.jpg.dd7d0298d248a3283ab65e00107e42ea.jpg

7-2016_Skrtfrnt_swap1.jpg.66efbe8ab454e6e024523f9351ad6af2.jpg

305556_AH08_LF_OBL.jpg.61dabac34ecb83e3d6c69138eeadfd46.jpg

Hi,

I am getting married on the Carnival Glory 10/28/08. I've been buying some swimsuits while they are on clearance and last night my fiance said that 24 year olds don't wear one pieces on cruises and I'd look "frumpy". I'm 5'4", about 170lbs, and kind of chubby, so I'd rather be comfortable and classy instead of "letting it all hang out" so to speak.

Do all the women wear 2 pieces, regardless of age/shape/size? What have you seen?

Thanks for your help!

Stacey;)

The streamlined -- that is, no frilly ruffles, etc. -- one piece is classic.

Thanks everyone for your responses!! I didn't think the thread would take off like it did!:D

I bought SIX swimsuits....I know thats a little much, but I love variety, ha.

Here are a few of the suits I bought:

The first one is from Alicia Simone, the second one from CelebrityOnAir(its a 3 piece set) and the last one from Land's End.

I love all your swimsuits. Especially the first one. The colors are

beautiful.:)

Agree. Nothing looks worse to me than someone wearing a two piece with a body not built for one. One pieces can be very classy. Again, a bathing suit to me is only as frumpy as the person wearing it. Part of it I think has to do with how you carry yourself in one, too.

The streamlined -- that is, no frilly ruffles, etc. -- one piece is classic.

First of all, why would you listen to a MAN about WOMEN'S fashions? It's like my 50 year old boss giving his opinion on some of my clothes or hairstyles. I just shrug and laugh, knowing full well this man doesn't have a clue.

Anyways, most of newer one pieces are extremely sexy nowadays. The ones with side cut-outs especially. (No I am not talking about full skirted "mom" suits that our moms wore or still do.) I own many one pieces as well as 2, and I like them all. However, I think most people that wear a 2 piece would look so much better and classier in a modern, sexy one piece!

Octoberbride08, a word of advice from someone married for 32 years. You may take your SO's opinion under consideration, but in the end it is your body and your decision. This applies to swimsuits, breast size, pregnancy or anything else.

Wear what YOU feel comfortable in.

I couldn't have said it better myself!:cool:

It doesn't matter if it is one or two piece as long as it suits YOUR body shape. Have you ever seen a large girl in a bikini? She would look better in a one piece that flattered her shape. Have you seen those girls that wear the low-rise pants with their bellies hanging over? They would look 15 pounds thinner if they wore what flattered them instead. I say try on some one-pieces with high-cut legs and maybe some padding and a plunging neckline. Hell, throw on some strappy high-heeled sandals and big glasses to go to the pool and if you work it (shoulders back, chest out- walk with CONFIDENCE), they'll all be watching- including your man! Yeah baby!!!:D Trust me. I have been around the block a few times.;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
After seeing once a young twenty soemthing woman in a string bikini who was a sz 16-18 I wished she had picked something like this. The girl could have been very attractive, even with the extra weight, unfortuantely the bikini emphasied her flaws.

To the OP, your fiance may find you sexy and want you to let it "all hang out", I understand because my hubby was that way. At age 30, I gave birth to my daughter and I went from a size 6 to a size 12. I chose NOT to wear bikinis after this weight gain, even though he wanted me to still wear bikinis. I would though, pick a nice one piece suit that showed off my cleavge, something I did not have when I was a size 6! there are some advantages to weight gain! LOL! I found that hubby was pleased, because I had picked a sexy suit!

I agree. I think it's great when people are confident in their looks, but some people don't want to see certain body types in bikinis. I'm allowed to say that because I do NOT have a body for a bikini, and wouldn't subject anyone around me to it even if I was happy with my body. If you don't have the body for it, whether a one piece is frumpy or not, it doesn't really matter. I LOVE tankinis and prefer to wear those, but I also have a really cute one piece. On our first cruise, there were some really overweight women wearing bikinis and it was pretty gross. I've never understood it. My husband calls it a "flabalanche."

...Have you seen those girls that wear the low-rise pants with their bellies hanging over? They would look 15 pounds thinner if they wore what flattered them instead.

Tell it, sister! Have you ever heard the term "muffin top?" Well, that's what that's called. And you're SO right. I think it's CRAZY when a girl is a small size ANYWAY, and she insists on wearing jeans that she's grown out of. Or women who are obese and refuse to buy jeans that are NOT low rise. Low rise jeans weren't made for everyone.... I know it's harder to find mid-rise jeans, but some women should look a little harder....

• 1 year later...

I've been wearing one piece suits since I was a 14 year old size 5. Try on a lot of suits and wear the one that *you* like best. Trust me. If you wear a suit that you don't like and don't feel comfortable in...you will be miserable. If your hubby objects, ask him if you get to pick out his clothes lol.

Hi,

I am getting married on the Carnival Glory 10/28/08. I've been buying some swimsuits while they are on clearance and last night my fiance said that 24 year olds don't wear one pieces on cruises and I'd look "frumpy". I'm 5'4", about 170lbs, and kind of chubby, so I'd rather be comfortable and classy instead of "letting it all hang out" so to speak.

Do all the women wear 2 pieces, regardless of age/shape/size? What have you seen?

Thanks for your help!

I love to people watch be it on a cruise or at the beach and I have seen just about everything , but what it come down to is if YOUR comfortable with what your wearing then dont worry what others think. I'm 48(twice your age) and I wear both 2 piece and whole piece. I have 2 whole pieces that I always get compliments on.

Archived