Cruising on the Crown after 18 day repoisitonin?g

Momma Mojito

What condition can we expect of the Crown after returning from an 18 day Transatlantic repositioning cruise? We sail the same day it arrives in Fort. Lauderdale and was wondering if any of you have experienced any problems doing a cruise right after that long of a cruise .

What condition can we expect of the Crown after returning from an 18 day Transatlantic repositioning cruise? We sail the same day it arrives in Fort. Lauderdale and was wondering if any of you have experienced any problems doing a cruise right after that long of a cruise .

Why would it be any different?

We just cruised on the Sapphie in May after a 31 day cruise from Australia.

Everything was peachy. ;)

It won't be any different then any other cruise. Each cruise disembarks in the AM and reboards a new group of passengers around noon, no matter what length of sailing it has come from. A longer cruise doesn't make any difference than a shorter cruise would.

What were you expecting?

I wouldn't give it a second thought, and in fact I'm on the same cruises at the op. I have done repo cruises before, and the ship is maintained just as it is throughout any other cruise. My guess is that we will not be able to tell that it just came across the pond!

We're on the same cruise as you and really looking forward to it... not expecting any problems. In fact, I wonder if the crew is looking forward to the change of scenery (for the precious little time they're off-duty!).

:)

From what I can tell the Crown arrives in Ft. Lauderdale on 09/29 which is a Monday - and Sails on Oct 5th for the Caribbean. So it looks like the crew and ship have 6 days to re-stock and re-refresh!

DH & I will be on board the Oct. 5th sailing and really looking forward to it.

See you there.

We're on the Crown 7 Sept for the 10 day Baltics and then the Transatlantic arriving Fort Lauderdale 5 Oct. I promise that we won't leave the ship a total mess. Maybe it'll be empty of food, etc.

From what I can tell the Crown arrives in Ft. Lauderdale on 09/29 which is a Monday - and Sails on Oct 5th for the Caribbean. So it looks like the crew and ship have 6 days to re-stock and re-refresh!

DH & I will be on board the Oct. 5th sailing and really looking forward to it.

See you there.

Crown Princess arrives in Fort Lauderale on 5 Oct 2008 after completing the Transatlantic crossing. No extra time for re-stocking or re-freshing.:(

We're on the same cruise as you and really looking forward to it... not expecting any problems. In fact, I wonder if the crew is looking forward to the change of scenery (for the precious little time they're off-duty!).

The crews love the repositioning cruises. There are fewer changeover days on a longer cruise, and those are the days they work hardest.

The crew got a change of scenery on our Transatlantic thru Greenland. All the staff from the Phillipines were staring at the glaciers as if they had never seen them before.

Steve

Just so you know, we promise to not destroy the ship on the TA, we are really like regular passengers. I am sorry if you think we are "less" trustworthy than all those 7 day cruisers that do the Caribbean, but we will try to behave ourselves and leave the ship in tip-top condition for you.

We were on the (real) Royal Princess immediately after a very rough transatlantic crossing. One of the bartenders said that they had gone through two very powerful storms on the way to New York. When we boarded, there were places where it was obvious that there had been some minor damage, but within a couple of days you would never have known it.

I like your reference to "the real Royal Princess". She was a great ship.

We had two trans-Atlantics on her: Buenos Aires Argentina to Barcelona Spain, Mar 98, very smooth seas.

Southampton to NYC (via Iceland & Greenland), Aug 98, little choppy between Greenland and Newfoundland.

Had a fairly rough trans-Atlantic on Golden Princess, Aug 02, Venice to NYC.

Several broken windows along Prom Deck, and lots of glass/crockery damage in bars, restaurant, and shops.

We have been on those repositioning cruises on other Princess ships..... and we didn't trash or beatup the ship. :rolleyes: What's your worry about. :confused:

If anything... I would think..... they have had lots of sea days and been able to catch up and do more preventative maintence. ;)

OMG, she just asked a question. On our roll call someone had mentioned being on a cruise that did the same thing and they ended up waiting several hours later to board due to customs.

Anyone that is on that cruise join our roll call if you have not done so already. We have a great group of peeps on this ship.:)

OMG, she just asked a question. On our roll call someone had mentioned being on a cruise that did the same thing and they ended up waiting several hours later to board due to customs.

Anyone that is on that cruise join our roll call if you have not done so already. We have a great group of peeps on this ship.:)

Thanks Cathy for coming to my rescue. I'm so sorry if I offended anyone by my question!

I took a look at your roll call because I knew someone considering taking this cruise. Now realize, I am taking a cruise on the Emerald but you all seem like such a fun group and have such interesting things happen in your life, that I find myself taking a peek at your roll call when I check mine I now feel I know all of you. It got me to thinking if anyone else gets interested in a roll call for a cruise they will not be on. I do find some roll calls really lively and yours is more so then some. Hope all of you have a great cruise.

Carol

We were just on the Crown at the end of August. It was interesting to talk to the crew about the changes in scenery. They must have a higher turnover in the shops because there were many people working in there who had never done the Caribbean before. My take was that the ones who were going for the first time were really excited, but the others were "Ho-Hum ... the same islands and beaches over and over". I guess it would get boring kind of fast. The people in the shops were saying that they love the itineraries with many ports because the onboard shops have to be closed when they are in port so they get some extra time off. On sea days they were working 14+ hour days! I don't know how it works on repositioning cruises. As for the dining waitstaff and maintenance crew, I can't believe how hard they work! According to our favorite waiter, he spends most of his "spare time" just catching up on his sleep.

The people in the shops were saying that they love the itineraries with many ports because the onboard shops have to be closed when they are in port so they get some extra time off.

I was on one cruise when a port stop had to be cancelled at the last minute. The shop staff as well as the Cruise Director's staff had counted on a port day and had partied until almost dawn.

Once the port was cancelled, they had to work all day. They looked exhausted.

I like your reference to "the real Royal Princess". She was a great ship.

We had two trans-Atlantics on her: Buenos Aires Argentina to Barcelona Spain, Mar 98, very smooth seas.

Southampton to NYC (via Iceland & Greenland), Aug 98, little choppy between Greenland and Newfoundland.

Had a fairly rough trans-Atlantic on Golden Princess, Aug 02, Venice to NYC.

Several broken windows along Prom Deck, and lots of glass/crockery damage in bars, restaurant, and shops.

Hey, Druke !!! We were on that '02 Golden Hurricane crossing w/ you. I thought the picture windows exploding on the Promenade was the storm, but now I find out you were there.?.?.

Steve

Yes, we were there on that rough crossing.

We had a balcony up on Caribe Deck (C-250), and had bow slap spray raining down on the balcony.

We sure could hear the forward elevator cars banging about in their shafts.

Those windows shattering along Prom Deck were not that big a surprise (at least to me), as the ship was really flexing while fighting for seaway.

I thought Princess did a very good job rearranging flights and getting hotels for us, after arriving 6 hours late in NYC.

Archived