Seabourn vs Cunard Grills

sullaRaffaello

IMO, people have become way too addicted to comparisons. It is impossible to compare a 10,000 ton ship with a 150,000 ton ship. It is impossible to compare 200 passengers with 2600 passengers. Although the dining in Grills on Cunard (I have done many crossings on QE2 and 2 on QM2) is excellent that is where all similarity ends. On the QM2 you are on a mass market ship with two enclaves for grill passengers (the dining room and the lounge.) White Star service is a joke. The King's court is nothing more than a high school cafeteria. On Seabourn you are on an intimate ship where the staff knows your name, your personal preferences and sometimes even your personality.

As for the food itself imo on Cunard in the grills it is, as I said, excellent if a bit more traditional in conception. You can order off the menu just like on Seabourn and they will try to accommodate your wishes. On Seabourn I think the cuisine is more cutting edge. Still you will dine well on both ships. The problem is that meals take up only three or four hours a day. The rest of the time on QM2 you will be fighting crowds while on Seabourn you will be fighting to keep the smile off your face.

I just want to say that I agree with Wripro. I just don't see how one can compare the experience on one of the Seabourn triplets that carry 200 or less passengers with a megaship such as the Queen Mary 2. The differences would be different starting with embarkation.

I also agree with Wripro there have been too many threads comparing cruise lines on several of the luxury cruise boards.

I would say that to begin there are even differences on the same cruise line between one voyage and another as even the itineraries sailed, the split between sea days and ports, the passenger mix, the staff, can all make the experience different. Add to this there will also be lots of differences between cruise lines given that usually there are differences from the size of the ships, to the activities and entertainment offered, to the type of cuisine served, to the amenities on the ship.

But in my humble opinion in the past what makes Seabourn, Seabourn, is the fact that the ships carry 200 passengers. You could serve the same food on another ship of 2,000 passengers and I will tell you that the experience would still be quite different. Certainly on a 200 passenger ship in very short order you will meet most passengers and most of the crew will quickly know who you are and many of your preferences. That will not happen on 2,000 passenger ship.

I suspect that when the Seabourn Odyssey comes out that there will be differences between sailing on the Odyssey and sailing on one of the triplets.

Keith

I think Keith has made some excellent points. Even on the same cruise line different sailings will bring different experiences. IMO people who demand these comparisons should just ask their TA. Any worthwhile TA can tell a client the main differences between line A and line B. Personally, I feel lucky to have been able to sail on most of the luxury lines and feel no need to compare. Besides, unless two people are clones comparisons don't hold water. What I like may not please you and vice versa.

The last few years I have been sailing QM2 NY to SOH to then meet up with one of the Seabourn triplets to sail the Med. They are two completely different experiences but both wonderful for what they are.

The transatlantic is great on QM2 and as far as large ships go she is one of the best (cruises on her can be cumbersome). Storm? what storm, you would never know it on QM2. As I sail her quite often I do see the same staff over and over, so maybe that adds to my enjoyment. Seabourn is very special as the ship is small with perfect food, perfect service and always something special and unexpected adding to a fantastic trip.

The grills are as about on par with the dinning rooms on Seabourn, though your tablemates are fixed, so you do not have the wonderful option of being invited to tables hosted each night by cruise staff or officers like on Seabourn.

Both are great products for what each one was meant to be. Enjoy both...

A crossing is probably the best way to sail on QM2. A cruise would be horrendous, imo, even in a grill category. There are still 2600 other passengers waiting to disembark and reembark at every port.

The other thing that bothers me, and this is because Seabourn has spoiled me, is that after spending a fortune to sail in a grill suite on Cunard you still have to shell out for every soda, bottle of water etc in the bars or dining room.

We have crossed on the QE2 and had a Queen's Grill suite(which was still smaller and more ineffieciently laid out). I agree that a comparison depends on what is important to someone, but we found the food in the Queen's Grill to be of good quality but dull -- what used to be described as "Continental cuisine." The service in the dining room was good but very stiff and proper(some like that we like polished service with a friendly edge). The wine list was good( and very expensive) and the sommelier was attentive and helpful. It just was not our cup of tea. I felt like I was constantly reminded of the "class" system. When we met people during the day( which was much harder to do because the ship was so large) we could only dine with them if we made special arrangements to "downgrade" to the Princess Grill. I much prefer the Democracy of Seabourn where everyone is a first class passenger and the oldest joke on the ship is "It's my turn to pick up the bar tab!"

Thanks to all who replied. You've confirmed what I suspected and I would like to try Seabourn. I've been in Queens Grill on a QM2 crossing, and in Princess Grill on a QV crossing. I enjoyed them both very much. Next month I'll be in Queens Grill on the QE2 for the final crossing. I've received an e-mail from Seabourn and it appears that they are offering some deals on certain cruises.

Archived