Regent and air travel

NoviceCruiser3

Was wondering how everyone has found Regent to be in setting up your air travel, particuarly from the East Coast. We'll be going from DC to Anchorage, then Vancouver back to DC.

Any snags?

How is it all working with the luggage restrictions?

Any and all comments are appreciated :)

We've used them twice when they were offering free airfare. Once we paid an extra small fee (I think $100 or $200) to choose our flight from Orlando to LAX on our way to Tahiti. The other time, on our trip to the Med, we got excellent flights from Florida to Athens on Delta. However, the return from Rome to Florida involved 2 stops and an impossible connection time in Paris. We aksed a couple times to see if they could get us on the more direct Delta flight that would avoid the layover in Paris and were told it could not be done. However, once on the ship I requested again and was re-booked on the better, more direct flight. So all in all, we've had good experiences. Had they not been able to change out flight, it still would have been OK.

We've used them twice when they were offering free airfare. Once we paid an extra small fee (I think $100 or $200) to choose our flight from Orlando to LAX on our way to Tahiti. The other time, on our trip to the Med, we got excellent flights from Florida to Athens on Delta. However, the return from Rome to Florida involved 2 stops and an impossible connection time in Paris. We aksed a couple times to see if they could get us on the more direct Delta flight that would avoid the layover in Paris and were told it could not be done. However, once on the ship I requested again and was re-booked on the better, more direct flight. So all in all, we've had good experiences. Had they not been able to change out flight, it still would have been OK.

By impossible do you mean too short a time or that it was a much longer time than you wanted?

It would seem to me that a long time would be very possible, just inconvenient and annoying. While one too short could be impossible.

We have Regent book international flights and book our own in the U.S. (we saved 50% on a roundtrip flight from Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale). It isn't as easy to find competitive one-way fares. Perhaps you could check it out online and compare it with Regent. In any event, we feel that they do a fine job!

Was wondering how everyone has found Regent to be in setting up your air travel, particuarly from the East Coast. We'll be going from DC to Anchorage, then Vancouver back to DC.

We're doing exactly the same route, next May. Our travel agent said the "free air" was only for flying in on the same day as departure (which we NEVER do :eek: ) and that there might be a $ charge to change the reservation to previous day or earlier. However, if we do a Regent sponsored pre-cruise excursion, there would be no charge for flying in earlier. We're still figuring that part out; we have time.

It's the standard deviation fee you're talking about. Currently $100 PP. I agree it's a pain, since so many go in the day before a cruise, I wish they would drop it in that case. Their pre-cruise packages are usually really pricey compared to rolling your own, btw. (The exception is the Paul Gauguin.)

The air is still "free", that deviation fee is always applied, no matter whether free air or not.

We're doing exactly the same route, next May. Our travel agent said the "free air" was only for flying in on the same day as departure (which we NEVER do :eek: ) and that there might be a $ charge to change the reservation to previous day or earlier. However, if we do a Regent sponsored pre-cruise excursion, there would be no charge for flying in earlier. We're still figuring that part out; we have time.

Yes, we want to do the Denali pre-cruise excursion through Regent, so it looks like you're saying there will be no extra charges to fly in earlier.

On the way home, though, we want to spend a few days in Vancouver on our own (I can't see doing Regent's tour - I want to see the city, not spend a half day in a museum), so I wonder how that will work.

I saw the post above re: 2 stops - I think we'd go nuts!

And, while I'm asking questions, does anyone know how do to do upgrades to Business Class? Hubby is over 6' tall and flying coach is unbearable to him :(

Many thanks!

We like using Regent's air for international, which is usually fairly comparable (or less) than what you can purchase on your own through the airline. Plus, Regent includes your transfers when you do air through them. I feel more confident having Regent handle everything - that way if something goes wrong with the flight, it's up to Regent to get you where you need to be.

That said, I agree with Travelcat about Regent's domestic fares - they are usually way more than what we could purchase on our own.

As far as connection times, I always pay close attention to our air schedule once we've received it from Regent, to make sure that the airlines haven't changed their schedules. One of ours changed, making our connection only 1/2 hour, so I did some research, found an earlier flight, called my TA, and Regent accommodated us on that earlier flight without hesitation (and free of charge).

We booked our international air with Regent for our cruise this fall. However, our booking agent told us it would be up to us and our travel insurance to get us from A to B if we missed our ship's departure.

Our flight arrives at 1930, sail away is at 2200 I believe. If our flight is delayed and we miss the ship's departure, will Regent arrange to get us to the first port of call the next day?

Vaitape, can you get an earlier flight? Current schedule is cutting it way too close IMO.

We always fly in at least a day ahead of domestic departures so we have a cushion in case of flight delay, cancellation etc.

On international flights we like to come in at least two days before cruise departure - an extra cushion for the above reasons.

Flight delays and cancellations are far too prevalant these days for us to chance airlines being on time.

By impossible do you mean too short a time or that it was a much longer time than you wanted?

It would seem to me that a long time would be very possible, just inconvenient and annoying. While one too short could be impossible.

Too short. IIRC, it was 45 minute connection time and I had to go from an Air France flight to a Delta flight in CDG airport. I've transfered there times before and while they say 45 min is technically possible, in practice it seldom can be - especially for non EU fliers.

Read post No. 8 above how Regent gave them a better flight WO deviation fee. Have your TA contact Regent to get a better time - it never hurts to ask.

I'd never depend on any fight getting to where you want to go on time - it's just too risky.

Well, the only other flight arriving that day is at 2255, even later. There is a flight the day before but then, would we have to buy Regent's land package. Will contact my travel agent to see if Regent will waive the deviation fee. RSSC's land packages are way more expensive than the lodging I found independently.

I did read post #8 and that got me to wondering if we missed the 2200 sailaway, then would Regent would get us to Huahine the next day. What are others are doing re the 22 November sail on the PG....is everyone coming in early and buying a land package from RSSC or paying deviation?

Thanks for your input.

We upgraded to business class from free air last year to Europe & it cost $2,000 per person (but that was when oil was cheaper).

This year we got a penthouse B & business class was included plus domestic was first class. This was also on free air to Europe.

We upgraded to business class from free air last year to Europe & it cost $2,000 per person (but that was when oil was cheaper).

This year we got a penthouse B & business class was included plus domestic was first class. This was also on free air to Europe.

Well, now that is interesting. We are penthouse A, and had to fight to get the free airfare, since it was in their brochure, but we were invoiced for it. I doubt that means 1st class though. How did you get Bus/1st class included??

Archived