New Lens Question for Pierces or anyone else?

ryzmom

My husband's birthday is the week before we leave on our cruise to the Caribbean in October. He has a new Nikon D40x with a 200 zoom lens (I think) and would like one that we could get even closer up. What is the next size up, prices and where is the best place to get one? I live in West Virginia and don't have too many camera stores here, so the internet would probably be my best bet. Could someone help me in locating a great lens to fit my camera at a great price? I think we got the camera from www.beachcamera.com and we love it!

Thanks for all your help!

Deana

My husband's birthday is the week before we leave on our cruise to the Caribbean in October. He has a new Nikon D40x with a 200 zoom lens (I think) and would like one that we could get even closer up. What is the next size up, prices and where is the best place to get one? I live in West Virginia and don't have too many camera stores here, so the internet would probably be my best bet. Could someone help me in locating a great lens to fit my camera at a great price? I think we got the camera from www.beachcamera.com and we love it!

Deana

I'm surprised he feels he needs something longer as 200mm on DX is equal to 300mm. Unless he is shooting wildelife or sports from afar would the 18-200 be a better surprise gift. I got this recently with my second nikon and its is my favorite lense, never comes off.

If you want to stay with Nikon the 70-300 VR is a very good lens for between 460 to 499. I have it and it is a great performer for its size and price. To get anything longer or better set you back thousands.

Two Reviews here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-300-vr.htm

http://www.bythom.com/70300VRlens.htm

18-200 Two takes here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

http://bonusphotography.wordpress.com/hands-on-nikkor-18-200vr/nikkor-18-200vr/

Adorama is a good site to consider as it costco

Deana

chipmaster has a great one-lens solution for you with the 18-200 and is correct that the wildlife opportunities in the Caribbean are somewhat limited. The 18-200 would allow him to wander about all day without changing lenses.

Anything over 300mm equivalent (200mm on the D40x) gets hard to handle without a tripod or monopod and while they are great when you're shooting eagles or distant wildlife, they aren't really good for much else. (Unless you're a private investigator!:eek:)

May I suggest sneaking into his camera bag and writing down the information on the lens you mentioned? It will look like "AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm" or something similar. Post it here and you should get some pretty good advice.

Dave

chipmaster has a great one-lens solution for you with the 18-200 and is correct that the wildlife opportunities in the Caribbean are somewhat limited. The 18-200 would allow him to wander about all day without changing lenses.

Anything over 300mm equivalent (200mm on the D40x) gets hard to handle without a tripod or monopod and while they are great when you're shooting eagles or distant wildlife, they aren't really good for much else. (Unless you're a private investigator!:eek:)

May I suggest sneaking into his camera bag and writing down the information on the lens you mentioned? It will look like "AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm" or something similar. Post it here and you should get some pretty good advice.

Dave

And after Dave and the rest give you the good advice, I hope to see your husband using it since I am on the cruise with you. :D I Deana it is Vince from the Mariner board.

Thanks Chipmaster, Dave and of course Vince (my sailing buddy)!

I will sneak in his bag and make sure that is the lens that he has and then let you know. I know the lens that we have is awesome and he has looked into getting another one, but I do remember him telling me that it was going to cost between $600 - $1000.... oh no, I can't afford that. So, that is why I am needing your help. But I will go look and get back to you guys on the exact type.

Thanks again for the advice and reviews guys!

Deana

If you want a longer, more powerfull zoom lens consider a tele extender. Nikon has a good 1.4 tele converter for about $350 (more powerful ones are about the same price but do not be tempted to go stronger, 1.4 is about the max any lens can handle and your auto focus may not work with higher power extenders). It mounts between the camera body and your existing lens making your lens magnify (focal length) 1.4 more. So a 200mm lens becomes a 280mm lens. I would not consider a cheap no-name brand. If you are going to get an extender get a good one.

A tele extender is small and easy to pack but it does magnify any flaws in your lens so they work best with good quality lenses. Because it gives you a more powerfull zoom (magnifies more) it also makes camera shake more apparent so you will have to work harder to keep it steady. And lastly it make the aperture of the lens smaller (slower) so your camera will use slower shutter speeds, again making camera shake more of an issue.

I use a 1.4 converter on my 70-200mm zoom when I am on the balcony of our cabin. It is great for taking those long range shots from ship to shore, but the converter does not go to shore with me. For walking around I use a 24-105 lens.

---

If you want to save a little money you might find a used one at: adorama.com, KEH.com, or BHPhotoVideo.com. They are all reputable places that sell both new and used.

Thank you Essiesmom and pilotdane for all your information.

Okay. So, Dave and Chipmaster, here are the lens' that we have:

18 x 55

55 x 200

He wants a 400 - that's he was talking about last night. So, give me some information on a 400 lense....make, model, price? I can't pay big, big money. I am going on a cruise the week after his birthday, so I need some money to cruise on right? Thanks everyone for all your help!

Thanks,

Deana

Thank you Essiesmom and pilotdane for all your information.

Okay. So, Dave and Chipmaster, here are the lens' that we have:

18 x 55

55 x 200

He wants a 400 - that's he was talking about last night. So, give me some information on a 400 lense....make, model, price? I can't pay big, big money. I am going on a cruise the week after his birthday, so I need some money to cruise on right? Thanks everyone for all your help!

Thanks,

Deana

Facts on 400mm lenses (I assume he means something similar to the Nikon 80-400 VR zoom and not a straight 400mm lens.)

Very, very hard to use hand-held. Since it is equivalent to a 600mm lens on his Nikon, a tripod or at least a monopod is needed to keep the camera steady, even with VR.

80-400 is primarily a wildlife and sports lens. I do some telephoto landscapes and personally rather like them, but wildlife is a primary target.

Minimum focus is not very minimum. 5-7 ft. Not a walk-around lens.

Lenses available in the 400mm range:

Nikon AF VR Zoom-NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED is about $1150 to $1400 but has the older screw-drive auto-focus and can only be used on a D40x if you manually focus it.

The AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED will work on the D40x since it has the silent-wave focusing motor, but it's around $5000.

The 400mm f/2.8G ED AF-S (VR II) telephoto is a world-renowned wildlife and sports lens, but $8500 would buy a heck of a cruise!

The Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AF APO DG OS HSM will work on the D40x. Image stabilized and about $850.

The Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AT-X Pro D is $650, but is manual-focus only on the D40x.

That's about it.

If her really wants the long lens, be sure to suggest a tripod or monopod. Getting a lot of blurry photos from your new, expensive lens is not a happy time!;)

Good luck.

Dave

I would respectfully add to Pierces list Sigma's new 150-500 DG OS HSM lens, which will auto-focus on the D40/D40x/D60. I don't own it myself, but if I were in the market to go longer than 200mm, I'd be giving this one a serious look. It's big, but can be handheld due to the Optical Stabilization. I believe it retails for just under $1000.

If I can speak frankly for a second, a new lens is obviously an expensive proposition, and potentially a personal one. Each lens mentioned in this thread has its strong points and weak points, depending on how it will be used. I suspect only your husband can make the right choice. Whatever you choose, make sure wherever you buy it has a good return/exchange policy in case he wants something different. Good luck!

I would respectfully add to Pierces list Sigma's new 150-500 DG OS HSM lens, which will auto-focus on the D40/D40x/D60. I don't own it myself, but if I were in the market to go longer than 200mm, I'd be giving this one a serious look. It's big, but can be handheld due to the Optical Stabilization. I believe it retails for just under $1000.

If I can speak frankly for a second, a new lens is obviously an expensive proposition, and potentially a personal one. Each lens mentioned in this thread has its strong points and weak points, depending on how it will be used. I suspect only your husband can make the right choice. Whatever you choose, make sure wherever you buy it has a good return/exchange policy in case he wants something different. Good luck!

Well spoken.

Dave

Well spoken.

Dave

I think it is worth noting that all of these lens mentioned appear to cost more than the camera itself. I want to mention that because if it was me spending that much money on a lens (and I have) I would want to make sure I could use it down the road on a different Nikon body if you upgrade. While I don't own a 40X I believe they actually use a little different lens than a lot of Nikons with the focus built in the lens (is that right Dave) where others like my old D70 and the D300 do not. Just a thought and perhaps not an issue.

I think it is worth noting that all of these lens mentioned appear to cost more than the camera itself. I want to mention that because if it was me spending that much money on a lens (and I have) I would want to make sure I could use it down the road on a different Nikon body if you upgrade. While I don't own a 40X I believe they actually use a little different lens than a lot of Nikons with the focus built in the lens (is that right Dave) where others like my old D70 and the D300 do not. Just a thought and perhaps not an issue.

Actually, the D40, D40x and D60 are the only Nikon models that don't support the older screw-drive focusing. Because they are targeted as entry-level, Nikon omitted the body mounted focusing motor to save cost and weight.

All the newer model lenses are being delivered with lens-based focusing and the higher-spec bodies (including the new models) support both the new AF-S lenses as well as the older AF-D lenses (and new models probably will continue to do so for a few more years).

Dave

Actually, the D40, D40x and D60 are the only Nikon models that don't support the older screw-drive focusing. Because they are targeted as entry-level, Nikon omitted the body mounted focusing motor to save cost and weight.

All the newer model lenses are being delivered with lens-based focusing and the higher-spec bodies (including the new models) support both the new AF-S lenses as well as the older AF-D lenses (and new models probably will continue to do so for a few more years).

Dave

Ok, I knew there was a difference but didn't know the higher end camera bodies supported both. I knew the focus motor was not in the camera body but the lens.

Archived