Taxi to Accra and bus

airlink diva

Good morning Aplmac!! I have a question for you.

I'm in Barbados for a long time (4 a.m. to midnight). I want to head to Accra beach for the first part of my day and stay until mid afternoon.

I think you were the one who mention about hiring a taxi outside the port gates instead of the ones inside. If so give me directions.

At Accra are there food stands that local food items (no burgers for me!!)

Can I rent a chair at the beach??

On my return to port, I want to take the local bus. Which bus do I catch for my return? Also, how much is the bus ride and do it involve a transfer?

P.S. On the taxi service, could I bargain for an island tour and then drop off at Accra beach for a reasonable cost?? I really just want to view the whole island and get some great photos of my day.

Good morning Aplmac!! I have a question for you.

I'm in Barbados for a long time (4 a.m. to midnight). I want to head to Accra beach for the first part of my day and stay until mid afternoon.

I think you were the one who mention about hiring a taxi outside the port gates instead of the ones inside. If so give me directions.

At Accra are there food stands that local food items (no burgers for me!!)

Can I rent a chair at the beach??

On my return to port, I want to take the local bus. Which bus do I catch for my return? Also, how much is the bus ride and do it involve a transfer?

P.S. On the taxi service, could I bargain for an island tour and then drop off at Accra beach for a reasonable cost?? I really just want to view the whole island and get some great photos of my day.

Hi air link diva, Aplmac is currently cruising the med. (I think). Lucky Man.

So I wil try to answer some of your questions as I lived in Barbados for several years and do go there at least once a year now.

Yes there are food stands at accra and ther is also cheffete across the road where you can get roti, pizza, salad etc. just west of cheffete is quay side shopping plaza with a grill restaurant where you can get great blackened or grilled local fish (Dolphin known as Mahi Mahi and flying fish). Yes chairs and umbrellas are available for rent on the beach. At the entrance of accra there is a bus stop and a taxi stand so you have a choice. If you decide to take the bus it will be the one heading west marked "Bridgetown". Cost of bus ride I dont know as I rent a car when I am there. I will guess not more than $1.00 U.S most likely less. Where the bus ends in Bridgetown it is about a 20min casual walk to the port. A taxi will take you anywhere you want. Do some research as where you want to go (my favorites, Farley hill park, east coast road, st Johns church and crane beach). Just make sure and tell the driver exactly the places you want to see and let him give you a cost before you get in the car.

Thanks for the great info!!

What is roti?? I love to try local foods when in port! I have a friend that only wants burgers and fries when in port on cruises :mad:

I know that it was either Aplmac or Mr Barbados that mention about the cabbies inside the port area are the ones to avoid, but I can't seem to find the thread about the cabbies.

I know that a small group of us are going to a local fish fry that night (we are there on a Friday) did you ever do that Goneclear?

Happy sailing!!

Thanks for the great info!!

What is roti?? I love to try local foods when in port! I have a friend that only wants burgers and fries when in port on cruises :mad:

I know that it was either Aplmac or Mr Barbados that mention about the cabbies inside the port area are the ones to avoid, but I can't seem to find the thread about the cabbies.

I know that a small group of us are going to a local fish fry that night (we are there on a Friday) did you ever do that Goneclear?

Happy sailing!!

The best way to describe a Roti is think of a wrap stuffed with curry chicken and potato or you can get a vegi one, a shrimp or beef one. The stuffing is always curried.

Many people have complained about the agressive taxis at the Barbados port. I have not experienced this first hand as I dont use them. If you are not happy with the cabs inside the port area just walk out to the gate (I am sure there will be others walking that way as the taxi problem is widely discussed on these boards). There will be other Taxis outside who seem to be more friendly to the tourists needs. (That is the usual consensus here) As I said I have no experience with these taxis.

I have done the fish fry many times. It's held at Oistins fish market. (Oistins is a small fishing village about 2miles east of St Lawerence gap known as the Gap). You sit on open air picknick benches and the fish is cooked on open air pits while you wait. You have a choice of several things to go with the fish (Try that Bajan Macaroni pie, It's the best). You can also buy drinks there while you meal is being cooked up. all in all it is a great way to spend an evening. The fish comes straight from the boats days catch so it's the best. Enjoy. You will have fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back Aplmac!! I hope that you had fun on your sailing!!

I'm on the countdown to my cruise and I only have the evening plan!

Really want good info about taxis. Should I get one in the port area or outside the port area?

Thanks to the good suggestions by others, but can you also give your two cents? Thanks!!

Welcome back Aplmac!! I hope that you had fun on your sailing!! ===> We did, thank you!

I'm on the countdown to my cruise and I only have the evening plan!

Really want good info about taxis.

Should I get one in the port area or outside the port area? ===> Outside the Port's gates

Walk until you're OUTside the Bridgetown Port's gatehouse.

Taxi drivers chillin in the shade of the tree in the middle of the roundabout are the guys to deal with.

They're no angels, but they're better than the sharks INside the Port's gates.

• 2 weeks later...

Taxi drivers chillin in the shade of the tree in the middle of the roundabout are the guys to deal with.

Love your advice, which I've found to be true in many places.

I try to be 'real'! :)

Wife tells me I'm no diplomat!

I guess I should explain that I meant "true in many places in addition to Barbados".

We have many wonderful memories of using public transport of "le truck" variety in Tahiti, Cook Islands, Fiji, etc.

What bus route would you recommend for the best experience from a tourist perspective in Barbados?

We were thinking of hiring a vehicle, but now think we'd enjoy a combination of taxi hire and local bus transport.

I'll have to revisit my wish list, but, from memory, it includes -

beautiful pink beaches and aqua water in which to paddle (from your photos, which are worth a thousand words)

island scenery

Concorde

Cricket Grounds

tropical gardens

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to revisit my wish list, but, from memory, it includes -

beautiful pink beaches and aqua water, in which to stroll and paddle

tropical island scenery

Concorde

Cricket Grounds

tropical gardens

Have I forgotten anything, I should see?

Should this give me a feel for Barbados in a day?

Is Barbados well known for a particular alcohol?

(Last trip, I bought vanilla beans in Tahiti and put them in a bottle of rum, which should be ready in April, 2009. (Also put them in my storage sugar, which creates a beautiful perfume and vanilla taste.))

As you can tell, I'm not a drinker, but "when in Rome"!

• 2 months later...

Hello, Aplmac! I love your advice on the taxis. Ha! Ha! What would our chances be of getting a taxi/van (outside the gatehouse!) that would take SIX people on a full day island tour? Do you think we need to book with Glory Tours or another company because of our number?

Thanks in advance for your invaluable advice.

Archived