Question for seasoned cruisers?

lilly707

My husband and I have only been on two cruises, both on Princess. My question for those who have experienced different cruise lines is which in your opinion offers the best food in both quality and selection. I'm speaking of the dining room food and not the buffet. I'm just interested in hearing some different opinions. Thanks.

It has been several years since we cruised on Princess.

In fact we gave them up because of the food. We were at a table of 6 on one cruise. The same food was being served at lunch and dinner -- over and over. When the maitre'd came to our table near the end of our 10 day cruise he asked how we enjoyed the food. The one woman answered right away -- "If had wanted leftovers -- I would have stayed at home." It was that bad.

We did go on another Princess cruise about a year later -- JMO -- the food wasn't any better.

For the last several years we have cruised only on HAL -- and yes -- there have been food problems on some of their ships.

I don't think you are going to find any cruise line/ ship where the food will be perfect for every individual.

Everyone has their own preferences and tastes.

Food is so subjective. We didn't care much for the food on Princess the last few times we sailed. We far prefer HAL.

When we started cruising, Celebrity was owned by Chandris Family and the food was wonderful. We cruised "X" after RCI bought them and didn't return. We didn't like the changes in the food.

Just our opinion.

In fact we gave them up because of the food. We were at a table of 6 on one cruise. The same food was being served at lunch and dinner -- over and over.

I have been on 12 Princess cruise over the last ten years and have never experienced that the lunch menu and the Dinner menu were the same or had anything the same except maybe you could order a hamburger for lunch and dinner, but they were not on the Dinner menu.

Why don't you tell us what was identical for lunch and dinner on the menu every day. What ship was this in what year?

I have been on many lines, and the best food so far is Azamara. Carnival Freedom and Liberty in the Mediterranean was very good. HAL is very good most of the time.

I think it depends more on the chef on the ship than the line. IMHO, the best tasting food has been on Majesty of the Seas and Carnival Inspiration. The healthiest has been on Emerald, Golden, Sun, Island and Grand Princess. The least impressive food was on the old Empress of the Seas.

Underline added.

Ba Humbug! Please give the cruise and ship name.

In fact we gave them up because of the food. We were at a table of 6 on one cruise. The same food was being served at lunch and dinner -- over and over. When the maitre'd came to our table near the end of our 10 day cruise he asked how we enjoyed the food. The one woman answered right away -- "If had wanted leftovers -- I would have stayed at home." It was that bad.

We did go on another Princess cruise about a year later -- JMO -- the food wasn't any better.

For the last several years we have cruised only on HAL -- and yes -- there have been food problems on some of their ships.

I don't think you are going to find any cruise line/ ship where the food will be perfect for every individual.

Everyone has their own preferences and tastes.

Like several other posters my wife and I just completed our tenth Princess cruise since 2002. During those vacations all meals were enjoyed in the dining rooms (we do not do buffets) and can honestly say we have never seen the same food served at both lunch and dinner. In addition, I have never seen the same item reappear on a menu during the entire duration of any cruise we have been on including our several 9 day cruises. The exception to this is the handful of seletions which are available every evening. These are in addition to the evenings menu not in place of it. Actually I have enjoyed several meals at lunch that I have suggested would make great dinner selections.

In answer to the op's question: Out of the different lines we have cruised I would say that the food aboard Celebrity was the best overall with Princess a very close second. NCL was definitely at the bottom. That being said my disclaimer.....this is only my opinion!

I was on the grand princess last year. I thought the lunch menu was better than the eavning meal. I thought the eavning meal was slow and most times cool to cold. Also the lunch was hot and to me tastier, maybe the chef wasnt rushed . I noticed our eavning staf seemed short handed. And the waiter was always pushing bread . I was on HAL the year before on the MAsdam and it was about the same . It seems all the cruise lines are cutting food and staff. This year Im going back on celebrity. Ive been on celebrity 4 times before but this is 1st since being bought by RCL . So Im not sure what to expect. Ive downgraded my expectations so Im hoping for better. When I booked my cruise with celebrity the agent asked my main reason for picking celebrity I told her it was because of the food on princess and HAL being downgraded . She told me she is hearing that a lot this year. She did tell me that they are reciveing a few complaints about their new menu but they are working out a few of the issues . CARL

My husband and I have only been on two cruises, both on Princess. My question for those who have experienced different cruise lines is which in your opinion offers the best food in both quality and selection. I'm speaking of the dining room food and not the buffet. I'm just interested in hearing some different opinions. Thanks.

In general, I think that the less passengers the better the food.

Mom says Celebrity then RCCL, Princess then NCL (distant 4th)

We have only done Disney & Princess; Princess trumps DCL for dining room food. DCL dining room was entirely UNMEMORABLE. That being said, PALO, their adult only was FANTASTIC. Burgers & pizza on Princess at lunch are terrific.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been on RCCL, Princess, Carnival and Celebrity. Each has their good & bad points but overall, we've never had a bad dining experience. Having said that, I'd agree that the nightly party parade on Carnival isn't our favorite although their DR food is quite good. The service on RC tends to be the best and their informal buffet surpasses all others. Princess has excellent pasta and lots of seafood (yum). Celebrity is a distant memory--nothing better or worse than any other line.

I'm not in a position to compare the different cruiselines on food as I'm not a foodie and have just been on Princess my last three cruises. But on my 15-day cruise in 2005/06, the menus each night for dinner were different. Maybe one or two entrees showed up again during the time (didn't notice), and there were about five entrees that are on "Always Available" (which doesn't count), but I was amazed at the variety. We didn't have lunch in the dining room the whole cruise, but had the grilled chicken sandwich many times at lunch from the outdoor grill.

Hello,

i am not going to state an opinion here, but to tell you about an experience we had on the old Island Princess. My DW and I were on the next to last Island Princess sailing before she left the Princess fleet to be reinvented as the Discovery where she sails to this day.

The Executive chef was a huge Italian, like 6'8 and 300 pounds. The cruise was a repositioning cruise from Sydney Australia to Tahiti.

There were many passengers on the ship who had gone on lots of cruises. And very quickly we noted that the Chef was excellent in preparing italian food...pastas, lasagna, and so on. However, he really was not very good when it came to American food, and at lunch and dinner you stayed with the Italian cuisine or at least something from Europe.

My point...I always ask my waiter at lunch and dinner what he or she recommends. Some chefs are much better cooking some things than others, and the good waiters know this.

And if you should be fortunate enough to sail on RCCL's Splendour of the Seas and Sara is the Executive Chef, the food will be wonderful no matter what you order.

Fred

Archived