Last minute and Men

bossmum1

Hi all can you believe it, 6 days to go to our first cruise. If I'm not nervous enough. Last night DH tried his trousers on and as i predicted weeks ago they are too tight Grrrrrr men. I'm so glad we have some late night shops to go to to get him some more. Why do men do this to us. :eek:

My husband has been known to request that I "pick up" an item when I'm out the day before, sometimes the morning of the day we leave, like I have a bunch of extra time. We're only 7 miles from a mall, but I'm generally done with shopping at least a week before, I make lists for both of us and whatever he may need is on the list. I need the last minute time to fine tune the packing, go get a mani/pedi and make sure the house/bills/paperwork is taken care of.

I've just kind of come to expect it and give myself a bit of time for his needs. I'm lucky that he does so many nice things for us that I don't get angry with him, just a bit stressed. I think men just don't have the same pre-planning gene that many women have ;)

My husband has been known to request that I "pick up" an item when I'm out the day before, sometimes the morning of the day we leave, like I have a bunch of extra time. We're only 7 miles from a mall, but I'm generally done with shopping at least a week before, I make lists for both of us and whatever he may need is on the list. I need the last minute time to fine tune the packing, go get a mani/pedi and make sure the house/bills/paperwork is taken care of.

I've just kind of come to expect it and give myself a bit of time for his needs. I'm lucky that he does so many nice things for us that I don't get angry with him, just a bit stressed. I think men just don't have the same pre-planning gene that many women have ;)

I could have written this myself ... except I don't make lists for Mr Chew.

He almost always has a prescription to be refilled that he gives me the night before we leave.

The one thing he used to do that REALLY got my goat, whenever we'd be taking a long car trip somewhere, we'd get everything into the car, make sure the little Chews had gone to the bathroom and were snug in their car seats, double & triple check we had everything & everyone ... and then he'd open up the hood and start checking the oil and hoses. GGGGGRRRRR! :mad: :mad: Fortunately for us all, he stopped doing that a few years back!!

I start my packing days, if not weeks, before a big trip. I write out a day-by-day schedule of what we'll be doing and start pulling out all of the clothes I could possibly need, then I whittle them down (I'll wear things 2 or 3 times) then add shoes, wraps/sweaters, etc etc etc, then I whittle them down. Of course, then I'll be in a mall and see something that would be just perfect for the trip, and I gotta go switch stuff around again.:D

If I'm lucky I can get Mr Chew to think about his stuff a day or two ahead of time, but he usually takes about 15 minutes the night before to throw his stuff in the suitcase, and 10 more minutes in the morning to add his toiletries & medicines.

I gotta give him credit, though, he does travel a lot for business and he just goes on autopilot to pack what he needs. Occasionally he forgets something, and it is usually impossible to find things in his size in most stores, especially out of the USA. Extra long ties, king size socks, extra long shirts ... it's a real pain when he forgets something!!

Your husbands actually think about this themselves ?????? Wow..

We start to pack and my husband says "What should I take?" So I have learned to survey his clothing before hand and plan his wardrobe the same as I do mine. I have all the standard sizes for him written down and just pick up what he needs. That way I get no surprises .. and he never objects to going on a cruise :)

I throw all of hubby's stuff on the bed and say "This is what I'm taking for you--ok?" And then he has the option of saying that something doesn't fit, it doesn't look right....whatever. THAT'S when I tell him to pick out what he wants to take! I do this at least a week in advance, so there's time to replace things!

My husband not only planned what he needed and packed it,

he packed all of my clothes too for more than 20 cruises.

Now he is gone, and I'm going to have to learn to pack for

myself. Fortunately, I have a five day trip in October before

my two week transatlantic the end of November, so the October

trip will be a good try-out for me. He was an excellent packer,

my method is more 'stuff it in if it fits'. I'm going to miss him for

a lot more reasons than his packing...........

Well same with my husband I have been begging him to get his clothes together to see if he needs anything nope, he will wait till the day of to pack, as for me I have had my clothes laid out for 2 months.

Yeah I cannot understand why they do this, i have my traveling clothes ready also, He is still humming and arrhing. Glad i went out and bought him some shorts and shirts or he would be going with empty suit case, i keep telling him we arnt going to the Lake District this year lol. Dont get me started on the color of socks hee hee, Def black

I pack for everyone in the family (husband and 2 boys). I'm a planner and like to do things in advance. If I waited for them, they wouldn't do anything until the last minute. I buy them what they need, they try it on and then I pack it. No problems and no last minute rushing.

They are not all bad. :p

Keith

Thank you, Keith. It's true that many men are predsiposed as described above. But many of us are extremely well organized. I do all my own clothes planning (and I'm able to pack pretty lightly) and I provide a working list (with suggestions) to DW (who much prefers it that way).

I do all the planning for vacations, from suggestions to research to ticket purchase to self-guided walking tours. This delights DW for 2 reasons:

1. It removes any planning stress from her shoulders.

2. If something goes wrong, she can blame it entirely on me.

I admit, I have the good fortune to be semi-retired, working part-time while DW still holds down a full time job (hey, I'm no male chauvinist - I encourage her to work...lol), but I did this stuff before I semi-retired too. I used to travel a fair amount for business, and I always found that the more organized I was, the less stressful the travel was.

My husband not only planned what he needed and packed it,

he packed all of my clothes too for more than 20 cruises.

Now he is gone, and I'm going to have to learn to pack for

myself. Fortunately, I have a five day trip in October before

my two week transatlantic the end of November, so the October

trip will be a good try-out for me. He was an excellent packer,

my method is more 'stuff it in if it fits'. I'm going to miss him for

a lot more reasons than his packing...........

Sorry for your loss, I understand what you mean...I lost my husband several years ago....and I don't think you truly realize how much they do until they are gone

We leave in 22 days for the Mexican Riviera! All summer long I have been telling hubby that now would be a good time to buy some new shorts, a bathing suit, t-shirts, etc since it's summer here and will be hot in Mexico in October, but does he? NOOOOOOOOOO! I know that a few days before he is going to look at me and say he needs new shorts or something!

The other day he did mention picking up a new pair of dockers next time he is at Wal-Mart, so that's good, at least he will be able to eat somewhere other than the buffet! :D

My hubby know this by now but I suggest (demand) that he try on his suit and dress clothes one month ahead. He also gets together his shorts, shirts, ect. then also. If all fits and looks good or if any needs pressing or washed I get this done and he is not allowed to touch any of it at all. I tell him that the laundry is closed that last week for any cruise clothes and I'm only doing all the things so when we return it will be done and I can start getting the clothing from the cruise washed. He really is good with this.

Missygirl

I can't tell you the number of times we've started on our vacation (even to the airport on the way to cruises) when we've had to stop because DH forgets to shut the darn trunk.

I always lay out my stuff in the "staging area" (guest room), then DH's. I ask him what he'd like and he tells me to pack "what looks good" - that gives me lots of leeway. So far DH hasn't looked bad in any of our photos and hasn't once complained about any of the clothing he's worn on our vacations. We share tasks - I pack for the trips, he pays for them . . . works for me!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

My 14 year old son had a packing incident this summer. We were going on a two week holiday with a wedding in the middle of the holiday. We were over two hours into our trip when we realized he didn't pack his dress clothes. We jumped off the highway and within 15 minutes he had a new outfit, he did hear a few choice words though.

I'm very lucky i married some one that packs as early as i do and brings extra clothes for just in case reasons lol finally found a man that i didnt have to threaten like a child to get things done :eek: lol but been there done that before lol :D

We start to pack and my husband says "What should I take?" So I have learned to survey his clothing before hand and plan his wardrobe the same as I do mine. I have all the standard sizes for him written down and just pick up what he needs. That way I get no surprises .. and he never objects to going on a cruise :)

Great idea.........this would ease my stress a tonne!!! Perhaps even make planning our next cruise easier!!!

The best thing to do is for the DW to pack for herself and tell the husband you on your own. Do not help, do not run around at the last minute and if he does not bring what he needs it is his fault. Your are not his mother and if he is an adult he should know how to pack. By packing for him, falling for his excuses and running around for him you become an enabler for his behavior. And above all don't let his inability to pack ruin your vacation. If he did not pack the right clothes, leave him in the stateroom and go and have a great time by yourself.

If I asked my wife to pack or run around the day before the cruise all I would get is a look and not the loving kind.

Bill

Well my husband just made a liar out of me .. it is 30 days before the cruise and he said "Do I need to take my Tux to the dry cleaners?" When I picked myself up off the floor .. I said sweetly "yes dear and I have a few things you could take for me as well"

LOL

Archived