eligible for price drops if you don't book through RCCL?

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of planning a cruise in June - paying for my niece and having an "auntie/niece-y" trip. My mom/her grandmother just decided that she would like to accompany us (I don't think my parents feel I am "old" enough yet to take care of a 13 year old :p while going to another country). Anyways, as I am paying for most of my niece's trip (cruise fare, gratuities, pre-cruise hotel, transportation back to airport) plus my own, this has proved to be really expensive since it will be in June. I am looking to cut costs the best I can.

Anyways, my main question right now is if you book through someone besides RCCL (not a typical TA, but a major travel organization) - will I still be eligible for price drops I see on RCCL's web site?? Would I contact RCCL once my reservation is added into the RCCL web site, or would I contact the company I booked through?

Thanks!! :D

You would have to ask whomever you booked through. Typically, yes you are still eligible for any price drops but it depends on your TA. Also, if you book through a TA, RCCL cannot talk to you about your reservation so any questions or changes would have to go through your TA.

You will have to ask the company with whom you book if they allow the RCI price drops. Some TA's don't. And you would have to go through that company to obtain the price drops. You can only deal directly with RCI if you booked with RCI.

I just saw a $200 price drop last week on my LOS 5/09 sailing. I called my internet TA and was able to receive the drop without any difficult. I am always scavenging for dropped prices. Although, I'm not sure what happens after final payment.

RCCL honors price drops after final payment right up to sailing so it would depend on your particular TA

I really recommend that you either book directly with RCL or a local TA, or a cruise only agency. There is absolutely no advantage in booking through a "major travel agency. You just won't get the kind of service you would expect and they are much less likely to give you a price drop without fees.

I really recommend that you either book directly with RCL or a local TA, or a cruise only agency. There is absolutely no advantage in booking through a "major travel agency. You just won't get the kind of service you would expect and they are much less likely to give you a price drop without fees.

That is what I'm leaning towards at this point.

(Not sure if I'm allowed to say this as I know we can't discuss particular TAs, but just think of a really large automobile association and you can probably guess who I was looking at)

It's only about $30 difference right now between booking with RCCL directly and the other place. I get nothing extra from the other place (i.e. no OBC or anything) so I think I will just save myself the hassle and go with RCCL.

I have another question now, as this is starting to turn into a larger family affair. Can I have a reservation that starts out with 2 people in a room, and then add a 3rd person in the next few months if this person decides to go? I'm sure it's dependent on if any more cabins for 3-4 people are available, but I wanted to check if I could change people on the reservation if needed.

At this point, I'm looking at the following people going:

Myself

Niece

Sister

Brother-in-law

I'm thinking of inviting my boyfriend (who I hope will be fiance by then!!) along since my BIL is now going.

If there are rooms available for 3 and 4 people and if the ship hasn't reached maximum capacity, then yes you can add someone at a later date. BUT it is best to book for the maximum number of people now and then if they decided not to come cancel them off the reservation before final payment time, especially if you want to cruise at a popular time. You can't always guarantee that there will be rooms for 3 or 4 people available. Also, even if there are cabins that will hold 3 or 4 people available, if the ship has reached maximum capacity you won't be allowed to add anyone to a reservation.

we live in the minneapolis/twin cities amrket and have been using a north miami agency for yrs and we just got notified of a 480 savings per cabin in our group...we're not sailing until march 15,2009 out of los angeles...when i asked my agent if the economy is effecting her booking for jan-feb and march of 2009 she responded that she is doing very little booking for that time of the yr...but alot for the summer of 2009...

Archived