Jacksonville Info Only

jwjax

We just made reservations for the new Microtel at JAX airport. It has great reviews on tripadvisor. Offers many discounts(50yr old and up, government and AAA ) We're paying $61.10 per night and offers free parking while on the cruise and a shuttle to and from the pier for $6pp each way. Includes free cont. breakfast and has a pool and was told if you don't have a car, there are many places to eat within walking distance. I'll write a review next month after our cruise.

Hoping you will post about your experience at Microtel.:)

Well, we wound up not staying at the Microtel. In an effort to save some money we used some of our Marriott reward points and stayed for free at the SpringHill Suites near the airport. I'd defintely recommend this hotel, about a year old and very modern and comfortable.The staff was super friendly and helpful and good cooked breakfast buffet and parking are included in the regular room rates. For those flying in a free airport shuttle is included. Nextdoor is a Zaxbys and across the small side street is a Ruby Tuesdays and a Longhorn steakhouse.

I had read in another review of a company called Kings Shuttle that charged $12 pp round trip to the pier, the front desk had thier phone number (which I double checked online) and I tried calling there multiple times the day before and day of cruise and nobody ever answered!) The taxi companys we called all gave an estimated price of $30 each way so we decided to just drive and pay the $75 to park at the port(5 nights). Parking was very easy and just a short walk and we arrived at approx 11am. Embarkation was very organized and smooth and we were aboard by noon.

Well, we wound up not staying at the Microtel. In an effort to save some money we used some of our Marriott reward points and stayed for free at the SpringHill Suites near the airport. I'd defintely recommend this hotel, about a year old and very modern and comfortable.The staff was super friendly and helpful and good cooked breakfast buffet and parking are included in the regular room rates. For those flying in a free airport shuttle is included. Nextdoor is a Zaxbys and across the small side street is a Ruby Tuesdays and a Longhorn steakhouse.

I had read in another review of a company called Kings Shuttle that charged $12 pp round trip to the pier, the front desk had thier phone number (which I double checked online) and I tried calling there multiple times the day before and day of cruise and nobody ever answered!) The taxi companys we called all gave an estimated price of $30 each way so we decided to just drive and pay the $75 to park at the port(5 nights). Parking was very easy and just a short walk and we arrived at approx 11am. Embarkation was very organized and smooth and we were aboard by noon.

Thanks for reporting back. :)

Sounds like Plan B worked well for you. Love those reward points and free stays - we try to do either that or a park & cruise package.

We cruised the Fascination on 10/09/08 and stayed pre-cruise at the Hampton Inn & Suites on Airport Road. This was across the small side street from the Springhill Suites. This hotel was also fairly new, clean and modern. It included free airport shuttle and wonderful complimentary buffet breakfast. The morning of the cruise, the front desk clerk called "Gator Taxi" for us. They were in front of the hotel within 10 minutes. Very new, clean comfortable van. The driver was wonderful. Total cost to the pier(approximately 15 minute ride) was $20(for the two of us) plus tip. I would highly recommend calling a taxi.

My sister and I will be on Carnival Fascination on 1-24-09. Our flights do not leave until 5 and 7PM the evening of 1-29-09. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do all day once we get off the ship? And what would we do with our luggage? Will the airport take and hold our luggage?

My sister and I will be on Carnival Fascination on 1-24-09. Our flights do not leave until 5 and 7PM the evening of 1-29-09. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do all day once we get off the ship? And what would we do with our luggage? Will the airport take and hold our luggage?

I posted a day or so ago the info from the port about luggage storage there, there is none and they don't expect to have any until a new cruise terminal is built. :(

Are you flying in the day before? If so, your best bet for post cruise luggage storage is at the hotel you stay at pre-cruise. I can't confirm this, but if they offer a stay and cruise package, they may also pick you up and store your luggage while you taxi to shopping areas, or maybe the Jax Zoo which is close by the port and airport.

One other poster found a local limo company to take them around for a few hours after the cruise to see the beaches and shopping areas south of downtown.

jw:cool:

yes, we are staying pre-cruise, probably at the hampton inn, on airport road. I guess the other option would be to go to the airport right after we get off the ship and rent a car for the day, and drop off shortly before our flights leave, this way, we would have our luggage with us. Probably would be pretty cheap, too, then we could go do whatever we wanted to do for the day. thanks JW

This question may have been asked: how far is it from the JAX pier to Jacksonville Beach? What is the beach like? Thanks.

Hi:)about 30 minutes..give or take 6 minutes on each side;)

So basically depending on traffic....24 to 36;)

The beach? It has various parts to it. It is split up into

different zones...Atlantic Beach, Neptune, Jacksonville,

Ponte Vedra.

Ponte Vedra has some really nice shops and restaurants.

Jax Beach is more "beachy" with a more earthy tone to it.

Atlantic Beach has a fun corner on it....Ragtime and Sundog

Diner are good places to eat and drink:D

Its a plethera of choices:)

This question may have been asked: how far is it from the JAX pier to Jacksonville Beach? What is the beach like? Thanks.

Jacksonville Beach is probably 30-45 minutes away depending on what time and day you are trying to get there from the cruise terminal. Parking is usually a problem on weekends during the summer, but this time of year should be no problem. No boardwalk anymore, but lots of places to eat, drink and have fun.....:)

If you just want to see the ocean and nice beach, the closest beach to the cruise terminal is Huguenot Park ( 8 miles East on Heckscher Drive, 10mins) and it is one of the last remaining DRIVE ON beaches in Florida. It is a preserve area, but they have set aside a good size area for people to drive on and enjoy a REAL Florida beach. ( I grew up here, and trust me, this beach is as close to old Florida as you can get these days).;)

There are several places along the way to eat and drink, on each side of the river at the Mayport Ferry crossing, just before Huguenot Park. Sand Dollar, and Singletons, and the Safe Harbor seafood grill are all close by.

hi gill boo--did you find your answer to the car rental question? I would like to know, since I think we will rent a car for the day after we get off the ship. I would be looking for where to pick up a rental once off the ship and if it is at the airport, is there any kind of free transportation to get to the airport? Does anyone know what car rental companies are at the airport or close to the port? thanks!

From the Jaxport website FAQ's:

http://www.jaxport.com/sea/c_faq.cfm#a8.25

What ground transportation services and rental car companies are offered from the JAXPORT Cruise Terminal?

JAXPORT's franchised taxi service provides taxi and mini-van service from the cruise terminal to the airport. (Please call the taxi company at 904-355-8294 for current prices and reservations.)

While no rental car companies are located at the Cruise Terminal, Avis, Enterprise and Hertz have direct-connect phones outside the Cruise Terminal for your convenience. When you pick up the phone, you can speak with a representative to make arrangements to pick you up.

For more Jacksonville transportation options, please go to Visit Jacksonville.

I was checking on the weather for our Fascination cruise next week, and thought these links might be useful for others when planning what type of clothing to pack for their cruise out of Jax.

Here is the link to my personal Citizens Weather station, you can see up to date weather data every 5 minutes here in Jax.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage....24&call=CW4840

Here is a link to the 6-10 day forecast for the Jax area from Accuweather.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/jac...ler=0&zipChg=1

And here's the link to 11-15 day forecast for Nassau and the area in the Bahamas.

http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast3.asp?partner=accuweather&locCode=CAC|BS|B F016|NASSAU&metric=0

And here's a link to Key West weather forecasts as well.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/fl/key-west/33040/forecast2.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipChg=1

This question came up on our roll call for my Fascination cruise next week (11/29/09), and I thought I would share it here for those who drive down or over to Jax for the cruise.

The closet place to get local fruit and veggies on the way North on I95 is the Pecan Park Flea & Farmers Market. Here's a link.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3V2J

I think it is the 2nd exit going North after the I 295/9A interchange on N. I95.

There may be some of the chain (Stuckey etc) & fruit stores located on the exits at the FL/GA border too. I have not been that way in a while, but there used to be several.

If you are heading out to the West on I-10, just before the merge of I-95 and I-10, the Jax Farmers Market is just off south I95 on Hwy 90, about a mile ot so West. You can pickup I-10, again at the next couple of intersections going West on Hwy 90 after leaving the market.

Here is a link to the Farmer Market, there are maps and direction on the web site.

http://www.jaxfarmersmarket.com/

Last night on Hotwire I won the "Staybridge Suites by Holiday Inn." It is 6 miles from the port, located in SE Jacksonville.

Amenities:

Suites

complimentary breakfast

fitness center

pool(s)

business center

laundry

Internet access

spa

$47 a night plus tax/fees.

This is a brand new hotel. Each room is a suite w/full kitchen, flat screen TV, granite counters. Looks like there are several restaurants along with a Publix nearby.

Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone is interested.

Last night on Hotwire I won the "Staybridge Suites by Holiday Inn." It is 6 miles from the port, located in SE Jacksonville.

Amenities:

Suites

complimentary breakfast

fitness center

pool(s)

business center

laundry

Internet access

spa

$47 a night plus tax/fees.

This is a brand new hotel. Each room is a suite w/full kitchen, flat screen TV, granite counters. Looks like there are several restaurants along with a Publix nearby.

Just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone is interested.

Hi:)I just googled that hotel...I know exactly where

the area is~nice part of town:) but there

is no way its only 6 miles from the port.:eek:

The port is near the zoo which is on the Northside.

If this Staybrigde is on the Southside I would say its closer

to 12 miles away....is the address Touchton Road on your

Hotwire purchase?

• 2 weeks later...
Off to read the thread, but which hotel(s) are closest to the port? Do any offer free parking while you are on the cruise, and a shuttle to and from the Port? Thanks!

The closest hotel to the port is the Holiday Inn Express, on Blount Island. It is maybe a mile away at the most. I am not sure if they offer parking and shuttle there.

Somewhere in this thread, there were some comments about the HIE. I will try to find a link to them.

There are several hotels near the airport that do offer a park and cruise package though. Check these links for more info.

http://www.visitjacksonville.com/meeting-planners/transportation/ground_transportation/

http://www.jaxport.com

jw

• 2 weeks later...
a free shuttle to cruise port/free parking at HIE Blount Island. The room rate is $152 + tax.

I highly recommend the HIE Express Blount Island. I stayed and parked there for my cruise last week, and everyone was extremely nice. It is a little more expensive than other hotels, but they have a promotion on now (Stay here; fly there) that offers great discounts on air tickets.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.visitjacksonville.com/cruise/ looks like a good link to save!

Thanks for the info. Went to the link you provided and it sounds great. Better than any I have checked so far. I appreciate the tip.

While waiting for a reply, I have called and checked on some other places here is what I found out. Called on Monday, January 19th:

Wingate Airport was $140.12 for one night with shuttle that leaves at 11:00;

Holiday Inn Airport - Interior room w/King $149.95 + tax, $139.95 for exterior room (free parking) have to arrange shuttle time w/front desk;

Hampton Inn $149.00 +tax. They charge $5.00 per day for parking. Shuttles leave at 11:30, 12:00 and 1:00

I have not stayed at any of these, I was checking to see about their cruise packages. I found a website that has some cruise packages listed on it.

www.visitjacksonville.com/cruise

Thanks again for the help!!

We are looking to rent a car the day before our cruise. We are thinking about going to the zoo. Heard a lot about it. How long should we plan on being at the zoo? Wife likes to shop also so thought about going to the boardwalk shops downtown. What is traffic like downtown on a Friday when we arrive? We figured we would get a car which is $50 instead of getting a cab to port and zoo and shopping. They will take us to port when we drop car off.

We are looking to rent a car the day before our cruise. We are thinking about going to the zoo. Heard a lot about it. How long should we plan on being at the zoo? Wife likes to shop also so thought about going to the boardwalk shops downtown. What is traffic like downtown on a Friday when we arrive? We figured we would get a car which is $50 instead of getting a cab to port and zoo and shopping. They will take us to port when we drop car off.

I am not aware of any "boardwalk shops." There is a place called The Jacksonville Landing, but there is very limited shopping. There is an outdoor-type mall called the St. Johns Town Center, but it has chain stores like you could find in any city. It is located in the southside area of the city.

I would plan to spend a couple of hours at the zoo. I haven't been for several years, but they have updated it. I would like to visit it again.

Edited by SAAdds1