Jacksonville Info Only

jwjax

Just returned from the Fascination's Oct. 9th sailing. Called for a taxi at 10 AM from local Hampton Inn. Taxi arrived within 5 minutes and we were at the port by 10:30 AM. VIP check-in and on board by 11 AM. Very smooth

Which Hampton Inn. Which Taxi company? I thought it was odd that they had put that restriction out, so maybe they rescinded it? :confused:

So, how was the cruise, and debarkation?

jw:cool:

The Hampton Inn on Airport Road. Provided free shuttle from airport to hotel(arrived at airport very quickly). Hotel very convenient with a Longhorn Steakhouse, fast food chicken place and a Ruby Tuesdays or Applebees all right in front of the hotel. Free breakfast served buffet style in the morning--very adequate and satisfying. Front desk called for taxi(Gator Taxi) which arrived within 10 minutes and right to the airport(approximately $20 + tip). Booked a Cat. 12 Suite -- great cabin with balcony. DH and I wanted a relaxing quick getaway with a no "have to do" attitude. Only went to dining room 1 night out of 4(one night stayed at Atlantis until later on, one night(sea day/formal night) took a late afternoon nap and slept right through dinner and other night decided to watch a movie late afternoon in cabin and have casual dinner on lido deck. The food was on par with the other 7 Carnival cruises taken. Quite adequate, never went hungry or to the point where we couldn't find something enjoyable. The shows were exceptionally good. The "Mambo" show was quite spectacular -- the costumes were amazing, great upbeat music. Two comedians(both did regular show and late night adult shows). They were good, your usual cruise ship comedians. As we always have -- completely enjoyed the getaway. Not in too much of a hurry to revisit Nassau/Paradise Island or Freeport. Kind of a been there/done that feeling. We had done Freeport in the past, and as done the last time visited "Our Lucaya"(20 minute taxi ride-$5/pp- from the "very unattractive, commercial" port and went to the Westin and beached it for a few hours(not very much time there). Booked a room at Comfort Suites in Paradise Island to obtain "full use" passes to the Atlantis. Took a taxi from Port in Nassau-$4/pp-to Paradise Island. Checked in/out @ Comfort Suites($184) and walked over to the Atlantis(right behind Comfort Suites). Spent the day at the Atlantis touring the "Dig", walking around the resort(very large area)--disappointed that large sections of the resort are closed--including many restaurants. Spent time on the beach, went tubing down the lazy river rapids(rented locker to store personal items), watched a wedding on the beach. Had a nice day and glad I got to see the Atlantis. It is quite a "wow" resort, but left with the attitude that I wouldn't plan a "land" vacation there. My personal feeling is that it is too large a resort -- too much of an "amusement park" atmosphere. My idea of a Caribbean land based vacation is a more intimate, laid back "islandy" resort. Debarkation -- not as bad as what I had read about. We chose self assist debarkation(carrying our own bags) I think they are improving with every cruise. A bit confusing, but all and all we departed our cabin around 8:30 a.m., and we were in line waiting for a taxi to the airport($10/pp) by 9:30a.m. We were at the airport(Jacksonville Airport -- very new, clean, attractive, friendly and convenient) by 10:00 a.m. So, as always, very glad we had a great vacation. Of course any alone and relaxing time with DH is always wonderful. I know you too will enjoy yourselves. Have a great time. Any other questions, just ask.

The Hampton Inn on Airport Road. Provided free shuttle from airport to hotel(arrived at airport very quickly). Hotel very convenient with a Longhorn Steakhouse, fast food chicken place and a Ruby Tuesdays or Applebees all right in front of the hotel. Free breakfast served buffet style in the morning--very adequate and satisfying. Front desk called for taxi(Gator Taxi) which arrived within 10 minutes and right to the airport(approximately $20 + tip).

I am sure you meant the port , right?;) Thanks for the good info on the hotel and restaurants in the airport area.

Booked a Cat. 12 Suite -- great cabin with balcony. DH and I wanted a relaxing quick getaway with a no "have to do" attitude. Only went to dining room 1 night out of 4(one night stayed at Atlantis until later on, one night(sea day/formal night) took a late afternoon nap and slept right through dinner and other night decided to watch a movie late afternoon in cabin and have casual dinner on lido deck. The food was on par with the other 7 Carnival cruises taken. Quite adequate, never went hungry or to the point where we couldn't find something enjoyable. The shows were exceptionally good. The "Mambo" show was quite spectacular -- the costumes were amazing, great upbeat music. Two comedians(both did regular show and late night adult shows). They were good, your usual cruise ship comedians. As we always have -- completely enjoyed the getaway.
Sounds like the way to do it, to really relax!!:)

Not in too much of a hurry to revisit Nassau/Paradise Island or Freeport. Kind of a been there/done that feeling. We had done Freeport in the past, and as done the last time visited "Our Lucaya"(20 minute taxi ride-$5/pp- from the "very unattractive, commercial" port and went to the Westin and beached it for a few hours(not very much time there). Booked a room at Comfort Suites in Paradise Island to obtain "full use" passes to the Atlantis. Took a taxi from Port in Nassau-$4/pp-to Paradise Island. Checked in/out @ Comfort Suites($184) and walked over to the Atlantis(right behind Comfort Suites). Spent the day at the Atlantis touring the "Dig", walking around the resort(very large area)--disappointed that large sections of the resort are closed--including many restaurants. Spent time on the beach, went tubing down the lazy river rapids(rented locker to store personal items), watched a wedding on the beach. Had a nice day and glad I got to see the Atlantis. It is quite a "wow" resort, but left with the attitude that I wouldn't plan a "land" vacation there. My personal feeling is that it is too large a resort -- too much of an "amusement park" atmosphere. My idea of a Caribbean land based vacation is a more intimate, laid back "islandy" resort.
Thanks for the update on Atlantis, and the closings. Are they renovating or just closing parts of it for the winter?

I agree with you about Freeport, we have been there once, and that was enough for us.:(

Debarkation -- not as bad as what I had read about. We chose self assist debarkation(carrying our own bags) I think they are improving with every cruise. A bit confusing, but all and all we departed our cabin around 8:30 a.m., and we were in line waiting for a taxi to the airport($10/pp) by 9:30a.m. We were at the airport(Jacksonville Airport -- very new, clean, attractive, friendly and convenient) by 10:00 a.m. So, as always, very glad we had a great vacation. Of course any alone and relaxing time with DH is always wonderful. I know you too will enjoy yourselves. Have a great time. Any other questions, just ask.

Sounds like they are finally getting the bugs out of embarkation and debarkation at JaxPort. Thanks for the update.

We are sailing in November and flying in 2 days early. Currently, we have a room in Kingsland at the Comfort Inn Suites.

We were planning to go to the Okeefenokee swamp one day, and Savannah the next for some Carriage Rides and Haunted Pub tours.

Is Kingsland a decent place to hang out in? Anything in the area that we should absolutely "not" miss?

Thanks,

JB

Kingsland is a very small sleepy and not quaint village. St. Mary's (take Hwy 40 east). Has more to offer-on the river and little shops. Ferry to Cumberland leaves from downtown. Cumberland is very natural and you will not find t shirt shops or vendors. Be prepared- food and drink, bug spray, etc. It is wonderful if you understand it is not civilization.

The swamp can be fun. Take the boat trip to see gators, etc.

Savannah is divine.:D

However, if you go to the swamp-the drive is at least an hour. I seem to remember it longer than that. Savannah is 2 1/2 hours from Kingsland. Then another 1 hour to get to the port. Back and forth in 2 days is a lot of seat time in the car.

Maybe I am just being an ole __ but I would cut it down a little. How about a kayak trip from St. Mary instead of swamp. By the way, DO NOT SPEED anywhere in Camden County!!! That is how they make $$$.:eek:

The Hampton Inn on Airport Road. Provided free shuttle from airport to hotel(arrived at airport very quickly). Hotel very convenient with a Longhorn Steakhouse, fast food chicken place and a Ruby Tuesdays or Applebees all right in front of the hotel. Free breakfast served buffet style in the morning--very adequate and satisfying. Front desk called for taxi(Gator Taxi) which arrived within 10 minutes and right to the airport(approximately $20 + tip). Booked a Cat. 12 Suite -- great cabin with balcony. DH and I wanted a relaxing quick getaway with a no "have to do" attitude. Only went to dining room 1 night out of 4(one night stayed at Atlantis until later on, one night(sea day/formal night) took a late afternoon nap and slept right through dinner and other night decided to watch a movie late afternoon in cabin and have casual dinner on lido deck. The food was on par with the other 7 Carnival cruises taken. Quite adequate, never went hungry or to the point where we couldn't find something enjoyable. The shows were exceptionally good. The "Mambo" show was quite spectacular -- the costumes were amazing, great upbeat music. Two comedians(both did regular show and late night adult shows). They were good, your usual cruise ship comedians. As we always have -- completely enjoyed the getaway. Not in too much of a hurry to revisit Nassau/Paradise Island or Freeport. Kind of a been there/done that feeling. We had done Freeport in the past, and as done the last time visited "Our Lucaya"(20 minute taxi ride-$5/pp- from the "very unattractive, commercial" port and went to the Westin and beached it for a few hours(not very much time there). Booked a room at Comfort Suites in Paradise Island to obtain "full use" passes to the Atlantis. Took a taxi from Port in Nassau-$4/pp-to Paradise Island. Checked in/out @ Comfort Suites($184) and walked over to the Atlantis(right behind Comfort Suites). Spent the day at the Atlantis touring the "Dig", walking around the resort(very large area)--disappointed that large sections of the resort are closed--including many restaurants. Spent time on the beach, went tubing down the lazy river rapids(rented locker to store personal items), watched a wedding on the beach. Had a nice day and glad I got to see the Atlantis. It is quite a "wow" resort, but left with the attitude that I wouldn't plan a "land" vacation there. My personal feeling is that it is too large a resort -- too much of an "amusement park" atmosphere. My idea of a Caribbean land based vacation is a more intimate, laid back "islandy" resort. Debarkation -- not as bad as what I had read about. We chose self assist debarkation(carrying our own bags) I think they are improving with every cruise. A bit confusing, but all and all we departed our cabin around 8:30 a.m., and we were in line waiting for a taxi to the airport($10/pp) by 9:30a.m. We were at the airport(Jacksonville Airport -- very new, clean, attractive, friendly and convenient) by 10:00 a.m. So, as always, very glad we had a great vacation. Of course any alone and relaxing time with DH is always wonderful. I know you too will enjoy yourselves. Have a great time. Any other questions, just ask.

Glad to hear things have improved from our Oct 3rd arrival in Jacksonville for our Oct 4th cruise. Hampton Inn's shuttle from airport was not, shall we say, working efficiently on the day we arrived at the airport!:( Although later that night it did work well to take us to Walmart to pick up wine and soda to take on the cruise. Gator City taxi said they would pick us up at 11 am. but did not arrive until almost 12 noon to take us to the port. The Hampton Inn & Suites by the airport was a nice hotel with convenient restaurants when one does not have a car. Glad you enjoyed your cruise!:)

I found this on VisitJacksonville.com this morning. It should help out with the pre/post info on hotels and packages etc. It might not be 100% up to date, so be sure to call and confirm the ones you may be interested in.

Cruising on the Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville?

Why not stay an extra day before or after your cruise? Book your hotel package today!

"Don't Miss the Boat" Cruise Package

Best Western Jacksonville Airport

Package Includes:

• Free Round Trip Shuttle to cruise terminal for 2 adults
  • Free hotel parking for 5 days
  • Free hot breakfast bar
  • Free wireless high speed internet access
  • ONLY 9 MILES TO THE CRUISE TERMINAL!

Package Price: $99/tax per night

Reserve today through the Best Western Jacksonville Airport Web site - http://www.bwjax.net/ or call directly at (904) 741-4980.

Cruise Package

Holiday Inn Jacksonville Airport

Package includes:

• 2 Round Trip Transportation Vouchers to the Port
  • Free Parking
  • Complimentary Airport Shuttle

Book the Holiday Inn Jacksonville Airport Cruise Package that includes deluxe accommodations, FREE parking and round-trip transportation to the port for 2 (scheduled shuttle transportation is available at 3 different times of day on departure).

Packages range from $119.95 to $249.95

To book this package, visit the Holiday Inn Jacksonville Airport Web site at: http://www.hijacksonville.com/or call the hotel directly at: 904-741-4404

Anchors Away Package

Crowne Plaza Hotel Jacksonville Riverfront

Package includes:

• Deluxe Accommodations for two (2)
  • Complimentary self parking for the duration of the cruise
  • Sumptuous Southern Breakfast Buffet for two (2)
  • Complimentary High Speed Wireless Internet in all Guest Rooms/Fitness Center on Property/Outdoor Heated Pool
  • Transportation to port for two (2) persons*
  • * Nominal additional charge for transportation back to hotel

Princing: $183 per night - Package based upon availability - One week advance booking requested not mandatory.

To book please contact: Antonia Hale, Group Sales Manager to reserve accommodations. 904-396-8845 or ahale@cpjacksonville.com

The Jacksonville Florida Cruise Package

Travelodge Inn & Suites Jacksonville Airport

Package includes:

• Overnight Deluxe Accommodations
  • Complimentary Parking Up to 5 Days
  • Complimentary Shuttle to Jacksonville Cruise Port (Roundtrip for 2 guests)
  • Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast
  • Complimentary High-Speed Internet Access

Located only 8 miles from Jacksonville's cruise port, Travelodge Inn & Suites offers well-appointed accommodations, complimentary breakfast, a palm-lined courtyard pool, shuttle service to the Jacksonville Cruise Port and parking for the duration of your cruise. Staying here is like an extra day of vacation!

Package Rates starting at $89/night + tax

Book your package today! Make reservations online or call 904-741-4600.

*Extra fees may apply for additional guests. Please contact hotel for more information.

Cruise Package

Hilton Garden Inn Airport

• Complimentary Shuttle to and from airport
  • Complimentary shuttle to and from cruise port

The Hilton Garden Inn Jacksonville Airport hotel in Florida is just one quarter mile east of the airport and the Jacksonville International Tradeport. Downtown Jacksonville, Florida, area beaches and shopping are all only minutes away. Amenities include complimentary high-speed internet access with secure PrinterOn remote printing, in-room hospitality center has a microwave, refrigerator and coffeemaker. We offer the Great American Grill® Restaurant serving freshly prepared breakfast daily.

Pricing: $139 Weekend, $169 Weekday

Package is based on 2 per room

Extra person for cruise port shuttle $30 round trip

Cruise Package

Hampton Inn & Suites Airport

• Complimentary Breakfast

We're conveniently located just a quarter mile east of the Jacksonville International Airport. Plus, we're within half a mile of Market City where you'll find great dining, shopping and entertainment.

Pricing: $129 Weekend, $159 Weekday

Cruise Package

Wingate Inn by Wyndham Airport

• Complimentary Breakfast

The Wingate by Wyndham Jacksonville Airport hotel in Florida is just a quarter mile east of the Jacksonville International Airport and the Jacksonville International Trade Port. It is our pleasure to provide complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. The hotel is within a half mile of Florida Interstate 95 with easy access to Interstate 295, Highway 9A and a variety of northern Florida attractions.

Pricing: $129 weekend, $159 Weekday

Any recent reviews of the Holiday Inn Express JAX -near the pier?

I haven't seen any recent ones about the HIE at all, other than it is close to the port. The ones on the boards here are mostly from when the Celebration was here. You might want to check tripadvisor for some.

There are a few new reviews of the Fascination in the carnival forum, and on the CC Main Review page for the Fascination.

Most said embarkation and debarkation are much better now, but still need tweaking.

jw

Jwjax,

Thanks for taking the time to assemble all of this information. It's been a godsend.

I just booked a Fascination cruise for January, 2009. Staying at the Hampton Inn Airport. Got good fares on Southwest so I'm all set.

Roz

Jwjax,

Thanks for taking the time to assemble all of this information. It's been a godsend.

I just booked a Fascination cruise for January, 2009. Staying at the Hampton Inn Airport. Got good fares on Southwest so I'm all set.

Roz

You are welcome. I am happy that the info in this thread was helpful to you. :)

Enjoy your cruise, we'll be going on the Fascination in a month, so I can add some first hand info when we return.

Jwjax,

Roz

Hi Roz:) when are you coming here? I would be glad

to drive out and we could do dinner if you want!

I live on the other side of town from the airport but I seem

to be out there alot;) with flying out for these cruises:D

I will be gone from Jan 7th through the 20th. When is

your cruise?

Thanks for your info! My daughter & I are taking this cruise in Jan! Was the Hampton room rates reasonable? Also, is it located in a "good area", meaning "safe"? One more question, what was the cost of your taxi ride to the port? Thanks!

So, which Jan 09 cruise are you going on? My daughter & I are going on the 5th and very much looking forward to it. lt will be her 1st cruise, and my 6th. So, you are from one of my favorite cities!! Who will you be cruising with? We may end up staying at the Hampton Inn also. I rec'd a good price for the Clarion@JAX airport, but undecided as of yet. Not sure about the area though. Have you heard anything on this area?

Lois,

That would be great! I'm arriving in Jacksonville on Sun., Jan. 4; ship leaves on the 5th.

I know Jacksonville is a very spread out city, so I appreciate the fact that driving across it for dinner is no small feat! I'll be in touch as we get closer to January.

Roz

Sea Born,

I joined the Jan. 5 roll call. Right now I'm sailing solo, unless my sister decides to join me. She's a small business owner, and it's difficult for her to make plans months in advance. I used my Hilton Honors points for the Hampton Inn, so I didn't pay in the traditional sense.

Roz

Any recent reviews of the Holiday Inn Express JAX -near the pier?

from a Fascination review (http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=48167)

We took a 5-night cruise on the Carnival Fascination in October 2008. Our ports of call were Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

HOTEL - We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (904-696-3333) about 1 mile from the port. It was a nice hotel and very easy to find. The hotel does not offer parking for cruisers so you will need to park at the port.

This report is from a "Live from ...." thread - the poster flew from Jax to FFL for a cruise, but I thought this information about the Jax Plaza might be useful for Jax cruisers as well. I understand they also offer a shuttle to the cruise port for a fee.

PRECRUISE – Jacksonville October 23, 2008

Once in Jax we checked into our hotel, the Jacksonville Plaza near the airport. We had a double room on the first floor with EXTREMELY good a/c. In fact you could have probably hung meat in there for a week with no spoilage! Fortunately, Terri and I like it cold so we had no problem. The room was very clean although a bit Spartan in the furnishings department. The beds and pillows were comfy and the linens were not scratchy like some cheaper hotels. Internet service in the room was free. There was also one computer and printer in the lobby if you didn’t bring a laptop. I think they charge 25 cents per sheet for printing.

For $65, which includes 14 nights of free parking and a shuttle to the airport, it’s the best deal I’ve found In Jacksonville. They even give you a small, continental type breakfast but our plane was so early that they were just setting it up as we left. This is my third precruise stay at the Jacksonville Plaza and I have found it to be comfortable and clean each time. Just not fancy.

You can book this hotel, and get the free parking, either on their website or through buyreservations.com. The rate is usually either $65 or $66, single or double. If you just walk in and want the room and the parking, there will be a per night parking fee.

We drove around a little looking for something to eat and ended up across the Interstate from the hotel at a storefront Mexican restaurant in the River Towne (I think that was the name) shopping center. Margaritas, chips, salsa, cheese dip and a white Mexican pizza hit the spot.

For anyone who forgets something or just wants to shop a little this new shopping plaza has lots of stores (Ross, Michaels, Catherine’s, PetSmart, Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc) plus a Wal-Mart with a liquor store. There is also a Cracker Barrel, Sticky Fingers, Chili’s and a sports bar. Plus a few storefront type restaurants featuring Asian, Mexican, etc.

Lois,

That would be great! I'm arriving in Jacksonville on Sun., Jan. 4; ship leaves on the 5th.

I know Jacksonville is a very spread out city, so I appreciate the fact that driving across it for dinner is no small feat! I'll be in touch as we get closer to January.

Roz

Hi Roz, great:D do you enjoy football? That weekend is

the NFL playoffs. We could do lunch on Sunday and watch

the games! The way it looks your Titans are going to be

a number 1 seed at that point:eek:

Or dinner sounds fine with me too:)

Lois,

My flight gets in at 10:10 am, so lunch would be a good option. I'm originally from "the Burgh". The Titans last regular season game is against the Steelers. I told my mother (rabid Steelers fan) that if the Titans are still undefeated by then, I'm going to have to root for them against the Steelers. I'm being written out of my mother's will. :D

Roz

P.S. Apologies to Jwjax for highjacking this thread for personal business.

Thanks jwjax- good research. Look forward to your review of your sailing. Have a great cruise.

Thanks cruiseapril, FYI, I found a couple more reviews of the Fascination, one in the main CC review section and one in the Carnival forum. Both reported improved embark/debarkation lately.

25 days to go....:)

I sent an email to the Jaxport Director of Cruise Operations last week regarding the lack of baggage storage areas, and excursions pre/post cruise here in Jax.

The reply was, basically until the cruise terminal is moved to the permanent location at Mayport (couple of miles towards the ocean from the the current temp location), there will be no space available for baggage storage, or kiosk areas for excursions or short tours operators pre/post cruise. He also went on to say that excursions were offered only from the ship or a TA, and the port had no part in the offering of them.

There is no firm date set for the relocation of the cruise terminal, so it could be a while before any of these services are available.

So that being said, I am going to contact my TA and see what she may be able to come up with as a temp solution for short tours to the local area attractions. We have a really nice Zoo, nice beaches, water park, golf, a riverfront downtown area, and of course there is always St. Augustine a hour away.

For now, if I were coming in a day early or had a late flight out upon returning to the port, I would see what I could locate via the hotels and other tour operations in the area. It is possible that a local hotel may have a way to provide the baggage storage for short trips to the shopping and places close to the airport after a cruise.

I am hoping to retire soon, and I think possibly this may be an area that I will look at for part time fun/work after that. Maybe just to help out occasionally when ships are here, or maybe I will start up a private tour operation for the area. Either way, since I like cruising and cruisers so much, any help I could offer will be rewarding.