Between Meal Snacks??

AlanAD62

Maybe a silly question but sailing on Enchantment....are snacks available at any time during day/night (snickers, chips, etc)....if so..I assume they are free??

I really dont remember seeing candy bars and chips, the rooms service is always available and the windjammer always seemed to have food. I guess candy and chips were available in the gift shop for a cost. I never had a problem though finding food.

Maybe a silly question but sailing on Enchantment....are snacks available at any time during day/night (snickers, chips, etc)....if so..I assume they are free??

Candy Bars are not generally available, but the Windjammer does have various foods available as snacks for certain hours between Lunch and Dinner. There is also a Pizza/Burger area near the adult pool that is open in between meals and after dinner for a while (not sure what time it closes, but believe it is at least midnight). Room service is available 24 hours per day. All of these are free, but for room service most people tip $2 to $5 depending on the size of the order.

You usually will not find packaged food beyond milk, cereal, and yogurt in the morning. Beyond that, packaged things like chips and candy bars can only be found in the shops onboard and are pricey.

If you are worried about snacks, roomservice is a good option. You can also grab a stack of cookies on a plate when you go to the WJ and bring them back to your cabin for random snacking. :)

twenty four hour service can bring you chips...not candy bars...why not bring some snacks with you...or you can by candy and chips in the shop when the shops are open...usually from 9am-11pm when you are not in a port. You can also buy snack in the ports and bring them on board, as long as they are in sealed packages.

You usually will not find packaged food beyond milk, cereal, and yogurt in the morning. Beyond that, packaged things like chips and candy bars can only be found in the shops onboard and are pricey.

If you are worried about snacks, roomservice is a good option. You can also grab a stack of cookies on a plate when you go to the WJ and bring them back to your cabin for random snacking. :)

Don't forget the oranges, bananas and apples that are prepackaged in their own unique containers that are readily available every morning in the Windjammer. Best sugar fix you can get, compliments of Mother Nature herself! Just stash a few in your backpack but don't bring them ashore on excusrsions if you're not gonna eat them...

Don't forget the oranges, bananas and apples that are prepackaged in their own unique containers that are readily available every morning in the Windjammer. Best sugar fix you can get, compliments of Mother Nature herself! Just stash a few in your backpack but don't bring them ashore on excusrsions if you're not gonna eat them...

You aren't allowed to bring fruit off the ship. Please don't suggest to people to do so. There may be something on the skin of the fruit that will harm the eco-systems of other countries. Ask the people in California what happened to their fruit a few years ago.

Only things that are sealed, ie boxes of cereal, are allowed off the ship. No fruit, meat etc. You could risk a huge fine.

In most cases, taking produce off the ship would be against the law. Please don't do that!
OMG, I never knew that. I wonder how much eco-system damage I have caused in Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Mexico, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Greece, Italy, the UK, Norway, Finland, etc., by eating an apple and throwing the core into a garbage can?

The POINT I was trying to make concerned eating fruit as a source of sugar. Geeze Louise, gimme a break.

OMG, I never knew that. I wonder how much eco-system damage I have caused in Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Mexico, Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Greece, Italy, the UK, Norway, Finland, etc., by eating an apple and throwing the core into a garbage can?

The POINT I was trying to make concerned eating fruit as a source of sugar. Geeze Louise, gimme a break.

Maybe your point was about eating fruit as a source of sugar but what you mentioned doing could potentially cause an enormous amount of damage to the country you are travelling into by risking introducing pests into their agricultural system (not to mention risking receiving a very hefty fine if caught). I don't think the previous posters were attacking you; they were just pointing out that what you stated was both illegal and dangerous and were alerting you to that (so that hopefully you will not do it again) as well as others who might read your post and not realize that it is prohibited.

Maybe your point was about eating fruit as a source of sugar but what you mentioned doing could potentially cause an enormous amount of damage to the country you are travelling into by risking introducing pests into their agricultural system (not to mention risking receiving a very hefty fine if caught). I don't think the previous posters were attacking you; they were just pointing out that what you stated was both illegal and dangerous and were alerting you to that (so that hopefully you will not do it again) as well as others who might read your post and not realize that it is prohibited.
That may be. I never knew that in all of my years of cruising. Is it okay to bring trail mix from home that may have raisins or currants or dried apricots ashore as a snack, or do I have to chance it with fruit I purchase in a foreign country that is irrigated with questionable water filled with E. coli and Salmonella and risk injuring myself?

That may be. I never knew that in all of my years of cruising. Is it okay to bring trail mix from home that may have raisins or currants or dried apricots ashore as a snack, or do I have to chance it with fruit I purchase in a foreign country that is irrigated with questionable water filled with E. coli and Salmonella and risk injuring myself?

It's not a joke. The introduction of non-native pests with no natural predators causes enormous losses to agricultural communities every year. A lot of the small countries cruise ships visit can hardly afford agricultural losses because some tourist insists on bringing their own fruit or veggies ashore.

Purchase pre-packaged, dried fruit if you feel that you can't survive for a few hours without it.

It's not a joke. The introduction of non-native pests with no natural predators causes enormous losses to agricultural communities every year. A lot of the small countries cruise ships visit can hardly afford agricultural losses because some tourist insists on bringing their own fruit or veggies ashore.

Purchase pre-packaged, dried fruit if you feel that you can't survive for a few hours without it.

I am not joking sweetie, I am dead serious. Can you provide me a link of all of these purported enormous losses to agricultural communities in small countries due to cruise ship tourists? Not that I do not believe you, I just want to view the data from numerous independent sources.

I am not joking sweetie, I am dead serious. Can you provide me a link of all of these purported enormous losses to agricultural communities in small countries due to cruise ship tourists? Not that I do not believe you, I just want to view the data from numerous independent sources.

Here you go!

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/historical_signs/hs_historical_sign.php?id=12015

and another

http://www.cnie.org/NLE/CRSreports/Biodiversity/biodv-26b.cfm

I'll be happy to post more as necessary. None of these specifically cite cruise ship passengers as the cause. But the point is, it's harmful to bring that stuff ashore. Why risk someone else's ecosystem and livelihood?????

In most cases, taking produce off the ship would be against the law. Please don't do that!

You aren't allowed to bring fruit off the ship. Please don't suggest to people to do so. There may be something on the skin of the fruit that will harm the eco-systems of other countries. Ask the people in California what happened to their fruit a few years ago.

Only things that are sealed, ie boxes of cereal, are allowed off the ship. No fruit, meat etc. You could risk a huge fine.

Here you go!

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/historical_signs/hs_historical_sign.php?id=12015

and another

http://www.cnie.org/NLE/CRSreports/Biodiversity/biodv-26b.cfm

I'll be happy to post more as necessary. None of these specifically cite cruise ship passengers as the cause. But the point is, it's harmful to bring that stuff ashore. Why risk someone else's ecosystem and livelihood?????

I went through the myriad of Cruise Compasses or their competitors equivalent that I have accumulated throughout the years and have not found one single warning or prohibition that to remove fresh fruit is prohibited by Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity, Carnival, Costa or Cunard.

A further examination of Royal Caribbean's Cruise Ticket Contract and the Royal Caribbean Guest Conduct Policy does not list any sort of prohibition of removing fruit from the vessel. Nor do the aforementioned documents state that things that are sealed like boxes of cereal, etc., are allowed off the ship or that "huge fines" are levied to cruisers that take fruit ashore. I also have not found any evidence that to remove "produce" from the vessel in a foreign port is "against the law." If it is indeed against the law of the visiting country where the cruise ship is docked or anchored, it really should be SPELLED OUT in black and white in the Cruise Compass for the HUNDREDS of cruisers that do it on a daily basis on any given cruise.

I am well aware of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) prohibition of bringing fruits and vegetables into the United States that ORIGINATED from a foreign country and Cigars that were manufactured in Cuba.

Concerning the Medfly epidemic that California suffered in the 1980's and the State of Florida suffered in the 1930's, the Medfly is known to infest more than 250 varieties of fruits, vegetables and nuts. The female flies pierce the host's skin and lay eggs just beneath the surface, leaving the hatched maggots to eat the host and turn it into a rotten pulp. The flies reach adulthood in 30 days and have a life span of about 90 days. I'm sorry, but every cruise ship I have been on did not have fruit in the Windjammer or Main Dining Room that was a mass of rotten pulp. I also do not choose fruit that has flies or their larva to ingest ashore or on the vessel. Furthermore, any fruit I eat ashore is cleaned in my stateroom so the likelihood the "skin of the fruit that will harm the eco-systems" of a foreign country is NIL.

The fact remains that the USDA inspects the fruit cruise ships receive dockside for insect infestation prior to embarkation in addition to an inspection by the vessel's Health and Safety Officer.

Until someone can provide me with links to valid documentation from Royal Caribbean International to the contrary, I rest my case and will continue to bring fruit ashore to enjoy on my excursions and beach breaks.

Thanks for the links WB, I appreciate the effort.

<<That may be. I never knew that in all of my years of cruising. Is it okay to bring trail mix from home that may have raisins or currants or dried apricots ashore as a snack, or do I have to chance it with fruit I purchase in a foreign country that is irrigated with questionable water filled with E. coli and Salmonella and risk injuring myself?>>

Absolutely forbidden to bring food into Australia and New Zealand without declaring it.

Canadian friends of ours had their home dried fruits confiscated.

A recent Qantas flight landed in Auckland and 40 something people were fined $200 for carrying apples off the plane and not declaring. Qantas always provides fresh fruit on their flights and generally warn you not to take them off.

We have a reality show here called Border Security and people are charged all the time. A lot of the food brought in is confiscated. They were most indignant.

BTW RCI does sail to Australia and NZ.

www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

<<You must declare for inspection all food, plant material and animal products on arrival in Australia to ensure they are free of pests and diseases.

Some products may require treatment to make them safe. Other items that pose pest and disease risks will be seized and destroyed by AQIS. You can dispose of high-risk items in quarantine bins in the airport terminal.

If you’re not sure, ask an AQIS officer.

The following is not a complete list of items that you must declare on arrival. In many cases, items you declare will be returned to you after inspection. Some may be allowed in if accompanied by an Import Permit (issued by AQIS prior to arrival), or with treatment in Australia to make them safe (fees and charges apply). Alternatively, you can drop them in quarantine bins at the airport.

Food commercially prepared, cooked and raw food and ingredients

• dried fruit and vegetables
  • instant noodles and rice
  • packaged meals
  • herbs and spices
  • herbal and traditional medicines, remedies, tonics and herbal teas
  • snack foods
  • biscuits, cakes and confectionery
  • black tea, coffee and other beverages
  • infant formula (must be accompanying a child)
  • airline food/snacks.

Dairy and egg products

• dairy products (fresh and powdered) including milk, cheese and ‘non-dairy’ creamers
  • cheese – must be commercially prepared and packaged and originate from countries free from foot and mouth disease
  • airline food containing dairy including milk, yoghurt and sandwiches containing cheese
  • all whole, dried and powdered eggs, and egg products that contain more than 10 per cent egg as an ingredient, such as mayonnaise
  • homemade egg products including noodles and pasta that are not commercially manufactured.

Animal products

• all uncanned meat including fresh, dried, frozen, cooked, smoked, salted or preserved - from all animal species
  • sausages, salami and sliced meats
  • airline food including sandwiches containing meat
  • fish and other seafood products*
  • pet food – including canned products and rawhide chews
  • rawhide articles and handicrafts including drums.

Seeds and nuts

• cereal grains, popping corn, raw nuts, pine cones, birdseed, unidentified seeds, some commercially packaged seeds, and ornaments including seeds.

Fresh fruit or vegetables

• all fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables.

Before you land in Australia

You will be given an Incoming Passenger Card before you land in Australia. This is a legal document. You must tick YES to declare if you are carrying any food, plant material or animal products. If you have items you don’t wish to declare, you can dispose of them in quarantine bins in the airport terminal.

On arrival your baggage may be X-Rayed, inspected or checked by a detector dog team. If you fail to declare or dispose of any quarantine items, or make a false declaration:

• you will be caught
  • you could receive an on-the-spot fine of up to $AUD220, or
  • you could be prosecuted and face a fine of up to $AUD66,000 or 10 years imprisonment which may result in a criminal record.

You will not be penalised if goods are declared.

Detector dogs Detector dogs are trained to detect food, plants, animals and their products in passengers’ bags. If you see a detector dog working close to you, please place your bag on the floor. The dog will simply sit next to your bag if it finds something: an AQIS officer may ask you about what’s in your bag, and check to make sure there’s nothing that could present a quarantine risk to Australia.>>

This website links to some ad campaigns of AQIS

www.daff.gov.au/aqis/about/public-awareness/q-matters/print-advertising

Until someone can provide me with links to valid documentation from Royal Caribbean International to the contrary, I rest my case and will continue to bring fruit ashore to enjoy on my excursions and beach breaks.

I cannot believe this is the first time you have heard this, and you are resisting conformity, now knowing this could cause an ecological nightmare, and is also against the law.

This is not an RCI law.

Just curious if you would do the same coming into America. :rolleyes:

Archived