Change to Shareholder Policy Credit Email

pamkev

The entire market is down today,not just RCCL. However, the dropping of the OBC for on board bookings might be an attempt by the company to increase their bottom line. Who knows where cost cutting might end? The all inclusive price for cruising is a positive for many, too many changes might make cruising appear less competitive. Perhaps we need another thread just to discuss the impact of the financial crisis on the cruise industry.As for me, since I'll no longer book on board, I have more time to enjoy the ship-guess that's the lemonade.

I sent off an email to Investor Relations yesterday expressing our displeasure in the policy change. Received this reply a few minutes ago:

We are in receipt of your comments and have made management aware. The changes to the program are to become effective for cruises booked on or after October 15, 2008. We will still honor any cruises booked prior to October 15, 2008.

We thank you for your continued support.

RCL Investor Relations Department.

We've developed relationships with on board sales people and have enjoyed the process of booking on board. Tying up money on our credit card doesn't bother us and it always gives us a nice feeling to have several cruises booked. There's no point to tying up our cash if there's no longer a credit to be had. It was enough of a hit when they changed the credit from length to amount spent. I think they're being short sighted.

With so many items ..as well services being.. scaled down.. (That's a nice way to say it)..

Are they going to Take off the Dreaded Fuel Sur Charges now?

OIL is still again Below $90 USD a BBL!

$87.81 closed 10/06/2008 A.D. ;)

Celebrity has a way of raising things.. but lowering them in Ratio is naught done....eh..

Why is this ludicrous charge not Reduced and/or taken off in FULL ((((?))):mad:

Is it a form of High Sea Robbery? Is it for us shareholders and advisors?

Is it just added now to bring more profits at a ZERO BASIS...

With so many items ..as well services being.. scaled down.. (That's a nice way to say it)..

Celebrity has a way of raising things.. but lowering them in Ratio is naught done....eh..

Do you really think Corporate Greed is exclusive to Wall Street? It is running rampant and unpunished in every facet of our lives. There doesn't seem to be anything we can do but accept it.:eek:

I think this is a seperat issue.

They are talking about OBC's straight from Royal Caribbean.

You get one - not two.

Either from Credit Card or Stock not both.

\

Actually, that's incorrect. The Credit Card rewards OBC are not factored into this equation. Nor is anything that your TA opts to give you. Those are excluded and you can still get your OBC for those things PLUS a shareholder or future cruise booking credit. However, you cannot put together a shareholder credit, future cruise booking credit and/or Crown and Anchor (RCI) or Captain's Club (Celebrity) discounts. In other words, if you have $100 OBC coming to you from a credit card rewards program and want to pair it with the shareholder or future cruise booking OBC, you can do that.

Absolutely!!! On our last cruise which was on RCcL we had $200 left and had to take it as cash. On issue we ran into is we prepaid for excursions and specialty restaurants. Onboard we decide to cancel one dinner and one excursion and got back quite a bit if money. Instead to crediting back to our charge card they add it to your Seapass account.

Adding it to my Seapass account wouldn't help. I'm trying to figure out, if I don't use all my OBC, I can just get it back. It's already on my Seapass account. If there's anything left over, I want to make sure I use it up if I can't get it back. I just don't want to walk away and leave it sitting there unused. I don't care if they don't refund the difference...after all, it's a perk. However, like I said, if they don't, I just want to make sure I use it all up.

For RCCL, you can call Crown & Anchor service line and they will tell you what OBC is posted to your account. They will not have listed any OBC that you receive from your TA. TA OBC will be shown on a "gift card" that should be in your cabin on boarding. It will post to your account a couple of days into the cruise.

Hypo

I called Celebrity today to add a couple of credit card reward OBC's to our October 30 sailing on the Connie. I asked the woman at Celebrity if she could confirm for me the other one I added a couple of month ago, as well as the shareholder credit I'm getting, and she said she couldn't access that information. She said I would have to get that information from my TA. I'm not sure why she couldn't give it to me. It's not coming from my TA, and I was able to add today's rewards myself, so why she couldn't look up the other one I applied is beyond me. As far as the shareholder credit, I had the woman who applied it (can't remember her name offhand) send me a confirmation email. I will bring that with me in case there's a problem when I board.

Oil was in the mid $80s in Oct '07. RCL announced their 1st surcharge in November '07, most likely after absorbing the higher cost of fuel for months before the imposition of a surcharge. Today oil closed at $89 & change. I would think that after a period of time of selling at a lower price, all cruise lines will rescind at least most of the surcharge It took some time for them to impose the surcharge & it will take some time to eliminate them.

Or they should they tie the surcharge to the closing price of oil on the day you book your cruise. I'm sure that will make for a lot of unhappy cruisers. I can hear it now: Why can't I cancel & rebook at the lower surcharge?".

Oil was in the mid $80s in Oct '07. RCL announced their 1st surcharge in November '07, most likely after absorbing the higher cost of fuel for months before the imposition of a surcharge. Today oil closed at $89 & change. I would think that after a period of time of selling at a lower price, all cruise lines will rescind at least most of the surcharge It took some time for them to impose the surcharge & it will take some time to eliminate them.

Or should they tie the surcharge to the closing price of oil on the day you book your cruise. I'm sure that will make for a lot of unhappy cruisers. I can hear it now: "Why can't I cancel & rebook at the lower surcharge?".

Please be realistic.

**Please note** For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

This is from the e-mail I received from RCCL after I applied for shareholder credit for our next two booked trips. Notice where it says it IS combinable with future cruise certificates. :rolleyes:

I think that FCC's are future cruise credits that are given to people when they have a problem on a ship as a goodwill gesture from RCCL. Those are not the same as Next Cruise Certificates. I think that is why people are confused about the wording. As you notice in the above post no where do they actually state "Next Cruise Certificates". I think they fall under the category of "promotions and offers that include onboard credit".

AAAAmerican - when was your last stop at the pump? Did you see a significant drop there? No? well guess what - the stuff the ships run on hasn't dropped either therefore there is no reason for the cruiselines to drop the surcharge either since they too are still paying the higher price.

As someone esle has already pointed out - you are not being realistic especially when you bear in mind that those cruises sailing at those exorbitant oil prices were sold long before the surcharge was implemented AND the cruiselines were not allowed to back charge those folks - end result is we will be paying this surcharge for a significant amount of time after fuel might become cheaper to make up for losses incurred on fuel during this time.

It looks like they have reconsidered the limitations on combining shareholder and other credits. Here is the wording of the note that I received today:

**Please note** For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

Moeve:

Yesterday in a retail station too. Regular (US) 87 octane at a Sunoco was $2.39. What did you pay?

Where RCL :NYSE leave from in Hudson County, City of Bayonne, New Jersey ..oh thats the old MOTBY US Naval Base and about a ten minute tug ..from the refineries...

Your really not looking at it in reality then as the Cruise Ship Lines have a much lower basis in cost as it is contractual and as well they do use a few trading vehicles in fuel oil contracts.. hedging is a basic one...

An airline for a great example of proper managment in this way is LUV :NYSE Southwest ...

Surcharges are just that Charges.. which do add up into revenues and thusly profits.. as a long time common shareholder and fixed income holder I like to see Profits.. but as a Consumer Advocate I personally as well do not like being RIPPED OFF (IMHO) .

A good example of another one is NCL charges three Port Fees in the Bermudian Islands. Guess what? Bermuda only charges ONE! Yes even if the ships set in to the three.

The bottom line here as we all have seen, even aboard the ships now is they will and shall Levy on what they are able to get away with...

Quality is vital for me in any service rendered.:cool:

AAAAmerican - when was your last stop at the pump? Did you see a significant drop there? No? well guess what - the stuff the ships run on hasn't dropped either therefore there is no reason for the cruiselines to drop the surcharge either since they too are still paying the higher price.

As someone esle has already pointed out - you are not being realistic especially when you bear in mind that those cruises sailing at those exorbitant oil prices were sold long before the surcharge was implemented AND the cruiselines were not allowed to back charge those folks - end result is we will be paying this surcharge for a significant amount of time after fuel might become cheaper to make up for losses incurred on fuel during this time.

This is the reply I got when I asked directly about booking onboard and shareholders credit.

Good day,

If you book a Next cruise onboard ship, the onboard credit will not be combinable with shareholder benefit. You will receive one or the other. Thank you.

In the event that two offers or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose which onboard credit you prefer. Unless you specify otherwise, Royal Caribbean will issue the onboard credit with the higher value. This applies to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Please feel free to visit our Investor Relations website: http://www.rclinvestor.com for further details.

Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Guest Sales & Service Administration

quote by AAAAmerican:

"in a retail station too. Regular (US) 87 octane at a Sunoco was $2.39. What did you pay?

WOW...you paid 2.39 a gallon?:eek: ...really?

It is still 3.20 a gallon here:(

Maybe I should move to New Jersey!

I use an on line discount agency who gives onboard credits. The website says "only one credit".

This might be an effort to stop agencies who discount cruises by giving the onboard credits.

Well, there is one agent who gives you 5% cash back at the end of your cruise if you own 500 shares of their stock(currrently trading at about $.60).

can you tell me what agency does this?

thanks

After receiving the same reply from investor relations I wrote back and SPECIFICALLY asked about onboard credit from and agent and future cruise certificates. I didn't save the reply, but they said it IS combinable with onboard credit from and agent but NOT combinable with those future booking certificates. :rolleyes:

I called Celebrity today to add a couple of credit card reward OBC's to our October 30 sailing on the Connie. I asked the woman at Celebrity if she could confirm for me the other one I added a couple of month ago, as well as the shareholder credit I'm getting, and she said she couldn't access that information. She said I would have to get that information from my TA. I'm not sure why she couldn't give it to me. It's not coming from my TA, and I was able to add today's rewards myself, so why she couldn't look up the other one I applied is beyond me. As far as the shareholder credit, I had the woman who applied it (can't remember her name offhand) send me a confirmation email. I will bring that with me in case there's a problem when I board.

I called Captains Club the other day to confirm the same thing - and while it took her a moment, she did confirm all the credits - shareholder, other OBCs, credit card reward OBCs, etc. As we all know, it just depends on who you get on the phone.:eek:

lambs2, I agree with Pam. I don't think you have to have made final payment. As long as the full deposit has been made, the cruise is booked. Of course, you need to remember that I don't work for RCL and my opinions aren't worth much.

Carole, I don't think when you apply for the credit is critical as long as the booking date is before October 15th. But don't forget the caveat above about how little my opinions are worth. But if I didn't already have my e-mail confirmation for the 3 cruises I have booked, I would get it next week, just to be safe.

kt88, I didn't mean to imply that accountants are bad people. I was just pointing out that this was an idea that had to originate with someone who focuses only on the numbers and came up with an idea that management bought off on. But I would bet that the marketing folks either didn't get asked or were ignored. Or maybe management decided that the savings was worth it.

But let's face it, the "cost" of a dollar of OBC is not a dollar. It is spent on board and in many, many cases is a small part of what people spend on board. I wonder how many of the OBCs that are eliminated are more than offset by one customer who will choose another cruise line at least one time? My guess is that the cruise line probably figures the true cost of $100 OBC to be no more than $60. If one customer cruises on Carnival just one time, how much money will RCL have lost?

With all of the threads about how much people love a TA who saves them $50, I can only imagine how many of them will revolt over this.

I guess the only thing to be annoyed about is the fact that this may now be in effect and I'm on board 14 days too late to take advantage of the double dipping. Of course, as I will be boarding in 14 days, this is not as much a major issue as the fact that nothing fits me.

Thanks, Bob. Your opinions are are always well thought out and well written.

I do agree that this is being a bit short sighted on Celebrity's part. Those of us who garner up these OBC are the kind of repeat cruisers Celebrity should be courting. We're sort of working to create our own frequent cruiser benefit - and Celebrity should be pleased that we keep coming back instead of taking away the reasons to. Bob278 makes a good point that even if the decrease in perks and benefits even causes us to take just one more cruise on another line than we would have - the potential lost profits to Celebrity could be far greater than many many cruises worth of this benefit.

I don't think that anyone mentioned the new business happy passengers bring along; haven't you ever talked someone into joining you on a cruise? We have a friend we introduced to the Zenith several years ago; she now accompanies us on almost every cruise and has taken several others with her family. The word of mouth advertising is priceless......on whatever line we sail. Any one trying another line is liable to like it and repeat there....bringing several others along.

• 2 weeks later...

We Made Enough Noise, RCCL WILL ALLOW US TO COMBINE OBCS

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyCruiser viewpost.gif

I choose to stand up and be heard. Here's the text of a letter I sent to RCCL:

My wife and I are "Loyal Royals" having cruised exclusively with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. We are Diamond members of the Crown and Anchor Society, Royal Caribbean shareholders, and as young retirees looking forward to many, many more years of cruise vacations. We have introduced several friends and family members to cruising and we frequently book cruise vacations on RCI together.

We are distressed to learn from a cruising friend - we missed the official announcement from RCI - that we will no longer be able to combine Next Cruise on-board credits with shareholder benefits. Luckily, we learned of the change in time to utilize two open Next Cruise certificates that we purchased on the Radiance of the Seas in September and we hurriedly booked two cruises prior to the October 15th deadline. Had we known in September of the changes taking effect in October, we would not have booked two open Next Cruise certificates.

Because of this sudden change in benefits that even had the RCI phone reps scratching their heads in trying to explain the ramifications to the customers, our confidence in RCI has been seriously eroded. We do understand that RCI retains the right to adjust loyalty program benefits, but you must understand that we retain the right to adjust our cruise plans.

With the ill-timed, sneaky, and poorly communicated changes to the RCI loyalty program, we have begun to look elsewhere for cruise vacations and recently booked a two-week cruise with Princess Cruises this winter. Another couple with whom we have cruised with RCI in the past, will join us on the cruise. That represents approximately $10,000 in revenue that RCI has let slip away.

Any wet-behind-the-ears MBA understands that it is much more cost-effective to retain loyal customers than find new ones.

We hope that RCI will reconsider the recent changes to shareholder benefits.

And here's the answer I just recieved from RCCL - the bolding is mine.

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Clampett,

Thank you for your e-mail to Mr. Ian Bailey, VP of our Investor Relations Department. We appreciate this opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment this recent change has caused you. After some consideration, we will be allowing the combinability of the onboard credits until further notice. Please feel free to contact me at the number listed below if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Thank you,again, Mr. & Mrs. Clampett, for your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.