Please someone make me feel better about my flights!!!!

Good afternoon everyone,

I need some reassurance from you guys please. I will be sailing on the Adventure of the Seas in a few weeks and booked my air through Royal Caribbean. We are flying in the day of the cruise (not my decision, I prefer the day prior) and Royal gave us flights on US Airways. I have never flown with them before, but have heard that they are notorious for delayed/cancelled flights. I just did a search on reviews of this airline, and didn't find too many positive reviews.

I have gotten myself all stressed out over our flights and I am so concerned now that our flights will be cancelled. Can anyone please tell me their experiences on US Airways.....are they really that bad? :confused:

Thanks

Erin

Even in PHL you should be okay if you have a fair amount of time between flights. Another thought is to go to the USAirways web site and do a pretend booking to see what other flights might be flying to your port that day so you'll know what options you have for later flights should you miss your connection.

Good afternoon everyone,

I need some reassurance from you guys please. I will be sailing on the Adventure of the Seas in a few weeks and booked my air through Royal Caribbean. We are flying in the day of the cruise (not my decision, I prefer the day prior) and Royal gave us flights on US Airways. I have never flown with them before, but have heard that they are notorious for delayed/cancelled flights. I just did a search on reviews of this airline, and didn't find too many positive reviews.

I have gotten myself all stressed out over our flights and I am so concerned now that our flights will be cancelled. Can anyone please tell me their experiences on US Airways.....are they really that bad? :confused:

Thanks

Erin

I hope all works out well for you. There is a lesson to be learnt here. Next time do your own air and fly in the day before. It may cost some more but no stress. You are going on vacation, you should be in a pitch of excitment not stressed. Just to reassure you the odds are in your favor that everything will work out just fine. Enjoy your cruise.

Nowadays, ALL of the airlines have horrible "on time" records. I doubt you'll be any worse off on NW than on any other carrier.

Do know that by booking through RCI, THEY will be responsible for getting you to the ship, should your flight be delayed. I know, I know--you don't want a delay at all, but IF it happens, they will foot the bill.

Try not to worry too much--RCI does this sort of thing all the time.

They are really that bad.

I just got off the phone with US Air - for a trip I booked in May for October 22nd. They CANCELLED the flights I was booked on - both ways. Double check your iitinerary on line every day - if you get the dreaded "Call us immediately because your flights have changed" then call ASAP.

I had to talk with SIX representatives before I got a satisfactory solution.

Hopefully you will have no delays and all will be perfect. I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I just got off the phone with US Air - for a trip I booked in May for October 22nd. They CANCELLED the flights I was booked on - both ways. Double check your iitinerary on line every day - if you get the dreaded "Call us immediately because your flights have changed" then call ASAP.

Hopefully you will have no delays and all will be perfect. I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Same thing happened last year to my DS flying from PIT to SJU. He had a direct flight, but I just happened to check online and his flight (and all direct flights) had been canceled. And he was now booked on a connecting flight with a 40 minute layover. I called US Air and asked why no one ever notifed us. Was told that we should have been notified, they don't know why we weren't, blah, blah, blah. Couldn't even get a representative that could speak proper English. Tried to explain that a 40 minute layover is not enough time but they assured us it was. Well, surprise, surprise...it wasn't enough time. He missed his connection and had to wait around for next flight. I will NEVER use US Air again. Customer service is non existant!!!

We have flown US Air from PHL on our last 2 cruises (one to Orlando and one to Vancouver) as well as 2 land vacations to San Juan and all flights have been on time with US Air.

Hope you have as good experience as we had.

You will probably be fine. Everyone has a horror story about the airlines, all of them. I travel a lot for work. Every U.S. carrier has pissed me off at one time or another. All of the major hubs experience delays, especially due to weather. 95% of the time there are no problems and you get to your destination without any issues.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I've travelled on US Airways a number of times and had no problems. In fact we are flying to San Juan on them to go on the Adventure in February. Don't ruin your vacation by stressing out beforehand. If you are really concerned, make a change now and go the day before. If it costs you money, decide which is worst, the stress or the cash?

em

Hopefully you have the first flight out of Ontario and the aircraft arrived the evening before and is parked at the gate- just waiting to take you to Philly:) . This is your best bet since you will almost be guaranteed an on-time departure from your point of origination. Once you get to Philly, it just depends on what is going on everywhere else; I just traveled from Omaha thru Cincinatti to Providence today and arrived 20 minutes early:D

Do you have the option of flying in a day early?

I had US Air do the same thing to me last time I flew to Tampa. They canceled all the flights that I had booked in September and reassigned me to another absolutely ridiculous schedule. They fixed it without charging more, but... I now won't fly with them unless they're my only option, and all other airlines are 10x more expensive.

In US Air's defense, every time they have screwed up, they have fixed their mistakes in a quick and effective manner. Though they did take forever to find my parent's luggage.

Don't stress too much, and next time, book your own air, even if it's more expensive.

IIRC - the San Juan Departure times are later then normal for both RCCL ships......

Doesn't the Serenade depart at 10pm on Saturdays and the Adventure depart at 8 pm on Sundays?

This will give you a lot more time to be delayed and actually make the ship.

Not to mention, since i is RCCL air, you are covered should anything happen that would make you miss the ship.

Stop stressing and get excited! You're going on a cruise!

If you booked your flight through RCCL you WILL make your cruise. It is guaranteed. We flew the day after the idiot who jumped security with the video camera shut down Atlanta airport and disrupted flights several years ago. We got to Ft. Lauderdale from Dayton Ohio the long way, but they held the ship about 20 minutes for a dozen of us who got there with no luggage (which caught up with us the 2nd day in Cozumel). If your flight is cancelled, delayed or otherwise troubled, RCCL will make sure that you get on board either at the original point of departure or at the next port. If you make your own travel arrangements, you must make sure that you get to the port on time. For a fee (ask your TA) RCCL will book you on a day prior to departure date.

Thank you everyone for your responses...this is a family cruise (parents, siblings, etc) and we are extremely excited! Our flights leave Toronto at 6:45am to Philly at 8:20am, then we leave Philly at 9:50am landing in San Juan at 1:45pm.

I am concerned because there doesn't seem too many other flights from Toronto to San Juan that day if our first flight is cancelled and if the second flight is cancelled (or our first one is late) our options are few to get us to San Juan.

Our first cruise we flew in the day of, and our flight was delayed. We made it to the ship on time, but with no time to spare. I swore I would never do that again, and have since flown in a few days before our cruise. This time, since there is a large group of us, my parents handled all the details. So.....we are flying in the day of. It can't be changed, so I guess I should just relax and enjoy.

One other question though, if our flights are cancelled/delayed and we miss the ship, will Royal have to get us to the next port of call (Aruba, in this case)?

Thanks again

Erin

Thank you everyone for your responses...this is a family cruise (parents, siblings, etc) and we are extremely excited! Our flights leave Toronto at 6:45am to Philly at 8:20am, then we leave Philly at 9:50am landing in San Juan at 1:45pm.

I am concerned because there doesn't seem too many other flights from Toronto to San Juan that day if our first flight is cancelled and if the second flight is cancelled (or our first one is late) our options are few to get us to San Juan.

Our first cruise we flew in the day of, and our flight was delayed. We made it to the ship on time, but with no time to spare. I swore I would never do that again, and have since flown in a few days before our cruise. This time, since there is a large group of us, my parents handled all the details. So.....we are flying in the day of. It can't be changed, so I guess I should just relax and enjoy.

One other question though, if our flights are cancelled/delayed and we miss the ship, will Royal have to get us to the next port of call (Aruba, in this case)?

Thanks again

Erin

If any leg of your air travel is canceled I would think that US Air would be required to put you onto a different carrier. As an RCCL customer whom has traveled as part of an RCCL/US Air contract, I would further think that you could call RCCL and immediately they would find you the earliest flight out - be that to San Juan or catching up in Aruba. If you "caught up" in Aruba then RCCL (or US Air) would pay for your meals and lodging in the interim.

Now, stop worrying and cheer up - you're going on a cruise!

Thanks for the details. With a 1.5 hour connection you've got some time if there are delays, and again you've got some time if there are delays, especially since there is a later departure of San Juan.

Since you booked cruise air, if you do miss the ship, they should help you catch up in Aruba.

When booking air with RCL you can do air deviation. This way you can work with RCL if you booked with them or if you booked with a TA work with them on this. There is a charge, or depending how many cruises you

had with RCL they may waive the charge one time.

We have booked air thru RCL and air dev. where we left 2 days before.

I know it is not cost effective to book airlines early, but, we only get one major vacation a year.

When we booked the Mariner of the seas for this past August last October; we booked our own separate air fare at that time.

I am sure we could have gotten cheaper flights had we waited, but, we got the flights we wanted, and yes, we did fly in a day a head of time.

We booked our own travel insurance thru our travel company.

I just got to nervous that something would happen when we cruised Disney 2 years ago, because we flew in the same day, and I will not do that again, too much stress.

Good luck with your travels, and I hope you get to your cruise destination on time. You are probably not alone, safe travels.

Later

I don't ever fly in the day of the cruise anymore. After one cruise being almost missed (my flight was supposed to arrive at 9:30 AM!) and arriving at 4:45 PM to the ship, I don't ever take the chance.

I definitely wouldn't advise it coming in from another country.

Also, I don't think that I would ever advise using air from the cruise lines.

Just my opinions, though!

Archived