experiences with US Airways

erin1998

Good afternoon everyone,

I need some reassurance from you guys please. I will be sailing on the Adventure of the Seas in a few weeks and booked my air through Royal Caribbean. We are flying in the day of the cruise (not my decision, I prefer the day prior) and Royal gave us flights on US Airways. I have never flown with them before, but have heard that they are notorious for delayed/cancelled flights. I just did a search on reviews of this airline, and didn't find too many positive reviews.

I have gotten myself all stressed out over our flights and I am so concerned now that our flights will be cancelled. Can anyone please tell me their experiences on US Airways.....are they really that bad? :confused:

Thanks

Erin

Here is the FAA Air travel report for August 2008 (September 2008 isn't released yet)

USAIR usually doesn't do to well on this. Sorry to give you bad news but thats the fact with them. Several other airlines fall into the same bad category like Delta and American

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/2008/October/200810ATCR.pdf (PDF document)

If you can't change this, why are you worrying about it? If someone wants control over their airline, they should never book cruise air.

US Airways flights were on time 79.43% from 01/08 through 08/08, according to the US Dept of Transportation. Only 1.56% of their flights were cancelled during this time period.

For comparison during the same time period the percentage of flights on time for other airlines was:

Delta 75.89%

AirTran 75.38

American 65.26

Southwest 79.9

An easier place to look this up then the other link posted:

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/OT_Delay/OT_DelayCause1.asp?pn=1

For some odd reason, US Air actually had better on time stats than the other airlines for the last two month.

The biggie-where is your connection??? Philadelphia is a nightmare. More lost luggage in PHL than any other airport (union problems that are ongoing for more than 5 years). IF you connect through PHL, MAKE SURE you have clothes in a carryon for a couple of days.

A Charlotte connection is not nearly as bad-the unions are not out of control and airport management actually manages.

All I can say is good luck, MAKE SURE you have a backup plan, GOOD travel insurance (NOT the cruiseline insurance). Please don't count on much help from the cruise line. Contractually, they are not obligated to help one bit.

Next time, book your own air, fly a day early and relax. This will be a stressful trip, especially coming from Canada. Good luck!!!!

Quick question about US Airways connections. Is a Charlotte connection probably better than a Washington DC connection? I'm trying to decide the best way to get from Charleston to Boston on US Air. Thanks for any imput.

Cindy

Erin:

OK, here is some reassurance:

1) Your flights will be on-time. Not only will your luggage arrive with you, it will be the first off.

2) The U.S. dollar will increase 42% against the euro. Further, the Canadian dollar will increase 22% against the U.S. greenback ... so, you'll be about to cruise Europe for next to nothing.

3) There will be good will to all and Ontario politicians will all be honest.

OK, back to reality.

USAir is right at the bottom of my list. However, most passengers arrive on-time or close to it, do not miss their connections; and have their luggage arrive with them .. even on AgonyAir (their old nickname)

We have flown US Air a couple of times to Europe lately.

Our connection was in Philly. I had read all the horror stories but none panned put. Flights were on time, luggage made it.

Only ding was when we arrived back in San Francisco, a wheel had come off my luggage but that wasn't US Air's fault as the cruiseline bent it first. I knew it didn't have a prayer after that.

Guess we had good luck those times.

I've been avoiding US since the beginning of the year. I don't mind their Express and Shuttle operations (the former is a franchise) but the mainline airline is just a miserable experience IMO. The only decent US staff I've come across are at my home airport, everywhere else they seem to be more miserable and useless than any other airline I've flown. I won't go over it again since you said you've read the other threads.

Quick question about US Airways connections. Is a Charlotte connection probably better than a Washington DC connection? I'm trying to decide the best way to get from Charleston to Boston on US Air. Thanks for any imput.

Cindy

Dulles or Reagan?

Either way I'd prefer a Charlotte connection.

Philadelphia is a nightmare.

While this certainly has been true is the recent past and deservedly so, US Airways has made a concerted effort to improve operations in Philadelphia and winewanderer provides some recent anecdotal evidence. The Arizona Republic in today's edition reports how this has affected US overall.

Good afternoon everyone,

I need some reassurance from you guys please. I will be sailing on the Adventure of the Seas in a few weeks and booked my air through Royal Caribbean. We are flying in the day of the cruise (not my decision, I prefer the day prior) and Royal gave us flights on US Airways. I have never flown with them before, but have heard that they are notorious for delayed/cancelled flights. I just did a search on reviews of this airline, and didn't find too many positive reviews.

I have gotten myself all stressed out over our flights and I am so concerned now that our flights will be cancelled. Can anyone please tell me their experiences on US Airways.....are they really that bad? :confused:

Thanks

Erin

Erin

We recently flew them and were very very worried. Had parties flying in from 3 different cities with the group connecting to Europe all in Philly and similar return. The good news: Everyone was on time, all luggage went smoothly. US Air has spent management energy recently and they are no worst then the major other competitors, but not where any traveler would want it to be. As to the quality of their planes, and their customer service, THEY SUCK!

Philly as an hub is a nice airport and with nice amenities. Hopefully you have a long layover that reduces your missed connection risk.

Since you are flying in a few weeks summer thunderstorms and winter ice/snow delays are less risky you are likely in better shape then those that do Philly in late summer and or dead of winter.

Enjoy your cruise, it is too late to fret now ;)

Dulles or Reagan?

Either way I'd prefer a Charlotte connection.

Dulles? USAIR does not have a hub at Dulles. United does and JetBlue is expanding fast in the new terminal.

USAIR does have a large presence at DCA (about 15 gates) but it really isn't a hub. Some people do transfer planes there but the hubs are at PHL and CLT

While this certainly has been true is the recent past and deservedly so, US Airways has made a concerted effort to improve operations in Philadelphia and winewanderer provides some recent anecdotal evidence. The Arizona Republic in today's edition reports how this has affected US overall.

I am in Arizona (although I'm currently at my NYC office).

The Arizona Republic only tells half truths (Arizona Rag). US HAS done better in the last few months. But overall, the SAME problems plague US in PHL that have plagued US for at least 5 years. It got WORSE after the merger. It got WORSE after the baggage handlers contract was let (still not totally ratified). And the bonus money-everyone in Phoenix is laughing. Sure they get a bonus-BUT the bonus is not cash. The bonus is usable at the company store. BIG bonus.

I quit shipping freight on US except in an emergency. But I do pick up freight from US Air in NYC that had a PHL connection from Florida. More times than not I end up paying a driver a lot of detention money ($140.00 per hour) WAITING for someone to find freight which is STUCK in PHL SOMEPLACE. I get a lot of free freight from US Air due to the detention time turned in. So if they REALLY were better, I wouldn't be getting the detention checks we get and the luggage delivery service for East Coast US Air (owned by a very good friend) wouldn't be getting pretty rich.

I'll believe it when I REALLY see it-not anecdotal evidence.

The Arizona Republic only tells half truths

More specifics on the actions being taken by US Airways at Philadelphia were documented in a March 2007 article in Air Transport World entitled, "US Airways is turning around its worst-performing hub, baggage wise." I was hoping that citing an Oct. 3, 2008 report on the subject would provide more pertinent and up-to-date evidence to rebut "Philadelphia is a nightmare".

The PHL terminal is pretty nice....decent selection of food, etc.

I find US-scares planes to be dirtier and crews to be more rude than others...and they have up my done a fine job busting up my luggage on more than one occasion.........

BUT...chances are you will be fine.......i would prefer another carrier......but you got stuck with them..........

Dulles? USAIR does not have a hub at Dulles.

So? They still fly there from multiple destinations and a connection is still possible:confused:

And if you want to be pedantic it is US Airways, and has been for more than 10yrs ;)

So? They still fly there from multiple destinations and a connection is still possible:confused:

And if you want to be pedantic it is US Airways, and has been for more than 10yrs ;)

US service to/from Dulles/IAD is limited (just flying to hubs). Because of their codeshare with United there does appear to be much more service at IAD, but it is really on United (as a codeshare).

US Airways serves many more cities themselves (not UA codeshare) from DCA.

Archived