Galveston Recovery

Hilton is nice. Anyplace on the seawall is okay.

Openings update:

Katie's Seafood Market is open at pier 19

Tree lighting and festivities at the Hotel Galvez Friday from 6-8pm

35th annual Dickens on the Strand December 6th and 7th from 10am to 6pm. Come support the Galveston Historical Foundation as we try to bring something normal back to our lives.

Thanks for the pictures. They give one a better idea of what's going on. Sad to see for sure.

We have had reservations at the Baymont but are cancelling. One may check outside Galveston and then check on cab fares for transportation. Another option is rent a car.

Thanks again

Jim

Does anybody know of a good place to stay the night before our cruise on the voyager? We will be on the Dec 28 sailing. Is the Hilton nice there? We won"t have a car, so need to be in a place with things to do. Any info would be great.:)

I think your best bet would be along the Seawall where there are stores and restaurants open. The Hilton would be a good choice...that area looked to be in "full swing."

Thanks for the pictures. They give one a better idea of what's going on. Sad to see for sure.

We have had reservations at the Baymont but are cancelling. One may check outside Galveston and then check on cab fares for transportation. Another option is rent a car.

Thanks again

Jim

Jim: I wanted to let you know that I received a phone call from Baymont yesterday "officially" cancelling my reservations due to FEMA people still occupying the hotel (thats what they said anyway). I guess my concern is how is the City of Galveston going to play host to 2 cruiseships and the Bike Rally all in the same weekend if hotels are cancelling reservations?:eek: My "plan B" has gone into action...we'll be staying in the Clear Lake area at the Hampton Inn.

~Happy Thanksgiving~

Does anybody know of a good place to stay the night before our cruise on the voyager? We will be on the Dec 28 sailing. Is the Hilton nice there? We won"t have a car, so need to be in a place with things to do. Any info would be great.:)

Any info would be great.:)

Check out Moody Gardens Hotel and Moody Gardens for something to do.

see ----- http://www.galveston .com

and------ http://www.moodygardens.com

or hang out at ------The Spot on Seawall

My mom and a group of her friends will be going out on the Voyager on March 22nd. They are hoping to stay at the Harbor House, but that will only work for them if things within walking distance (short walking distance!) are open, since the group ranges in age from 70's all the way to 88. What's your best estimate on openings in the next 4 months? Do you think Willie G's and some of the restaurants/shops over on the Strand will be open, or would the group be better off staying at Moody Gardens, Galvez, San Luis, Hilton, etc.? Thanks!

It will be after the first of the year before a best estimate of openings can be given. Keep checking on line with galveston.com or Galveston County Daily News for openings.

We are working hard to have our island functioning, but all of us were affected (75% of homes damaged).

We had hoped to be in our home before the TA, but now that won't occur until February, at the earliest.

Jim: I wanted to let you know that I received a phone call from Baymont yesterday "officially" cancelling my reservations due to FEMA people still occupying the hotel (thats what they said anyway). I guess my concern is how is the City of Galveston going to play host to 2 cruiseships and the Bike Rally all in the same weekend if hotels are cancelling reservations?:eek: My "plan B" has gone into action...we'll be staying in the Clear Lake area at the Hampton Inn.

~Happy Thanksgiving~

I cancelled our reservation with The Baymont this morning and booked parking with E-Z Park.

We are able to drive down as Galveston is only about 4 hours away. From the pics that were posted, I feel this time we are doing the correct thing as a lot of businesses (esp The Strand) are not functioning well.

Good Luck to those in Galveston and we'll try again at a later date.

Later

Jim

It will be after the first of the year before a best estimate of openings can be given. Keep checking on line with galveston.com or Galveston County Daily News for openings.

We are working hard to have our island functioning, but all of us were affected (75% of homes damaged).

We had hoped to be in our home before the TA, but now that won't occur until February, at the earliest.

Thanks! Based on the uncertainty, I went ahead and helped my mom and her group get reservations at the Galvez since they're already open. The group definitely needs access to restaurants, so that seemed like a safe bet, and the cruise parking and shuttle will be helpful to them also.

Good luck with your recovery! I was amazed at how much has been done already but I know you have a long road ahead of you.

I have reservations at the Howard Johnsons for a February and March cruises. I finally got the motel by phone and was told to call back 30 day before we cruise to see if we still have them. Seems the lower level is being restored and the upper level is occupied by locals. We are starting to look for other options today. If we are unsuccessful, I guess we will be using EZ park. I have always liked the idea of arriving a day early. I am not a morning person.

Don't let the photos mislead you into thinking the entire island is inhabitable.

Had a great Sunday brunch at the Galvez as well as Thanksgiving dinner. Just came from the tree lighting at the Galvez with many people in attendance. Lovely evening, lots of friends catching up on progress in the City.

Mosquito Cafe is proposed to open the first or second week in January. The Tremont Hotel has plans to open in April.

Forgot to mention that 37 of 41 Galveston hotels are open as of today.

Not trying to be negative, but The Baymont is and has been open and will not accept or honor any reservations. This is due to the influx of FEMA people and Insurance people that are paying premium prices for the rooms. It's called greed. I'm sorry, but this is how I perceive the situation.:mad:

I understand that Galveston needs all the help it can muster at this point, but throwing the people that support the city under the bus for a short term gain is not good business in my book.:(

We had planned to drive down the day before, (motel room $100) site see the island, Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast (2 meals $40 to $60) and cab fare to and from the cruise dock($30 to $45). Now all we're spending is $50.00 at E-Z Park. Now which is better for the economy????

Again I apologize but the truth is the truth and no kind of sugary icing will cover that up.

Later

Jim

Not trying to be negative, but The Baymont is and has been open and will not accept or honor any reservations. This is due to the influx of FEMA people and Insurance people that are paying premium prices for the rooms. It's called greed. I'm sorry, but this is how I perceive the situation.:mad:

I understand that Galveston needs all the help it can muster at this point, but throwing the people that support the city under the bus for a short term gain is not good business in my book.:(

We had planned to drive down the day before, (motel room $100) site see the island, Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast (2 meals $40 to $60) and cab fare to and from the cruise dock($30 to $45). Now all we're spending is $50.00 at E-Z Park. Now which is better for the economy????

Again I apologize but the truth is the truth and no kind of sugary icing will cover that up.

Later

Jim

Jim, in a round about way, this is exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks!

Later

Jim

Jim, in a round about way, this is exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks!

I understand your frustrations, but my understanding is it's not just FEMA or insurance folks who are occupying the available hotel space, but the people whose homes are uninhabitable right now.

The reality is that Galveston was dealt a mighty blow which they are working incredibly hard and as quickly as possible to recover from, but things will not be as we knew them for the immediate future. In order for Galveston to recover, the folks who live on the island, run businesses, provide support services, and are doing the reconstruction work need a place to stay. I think those of us who aren't dealing with the stress of trying to rebuild our homes, businesses, and lives need to be understanding and approach a trip to Galveston with the knowledge that things won't be the same for a while.

That said, there are hotel rooms available in Galveston. It seems like most of the hotels on the Seawall are in full swing and are happy to take reservations. Right now that's a good location to be, since the restaurants and other services on the Seawall are also open.

Later

Jim

The City is not benefiting from the hotel ocupancy as they suspended the collection of hotel taxes to emergency responders and recovery personnel. This is a great loss to the City which will never be recouped. In addition, all the low income housing was destroyed along with everyone's possessions. These people must be housed somewhere so are occupying some hotel rooms. All permit fees for rebuilding have also been suspended. Another loss of major income.

Hotels are free enterprise. Your complaint should be with them, not the City.

We want visitors to return to the island, but with 75% of homes damaged or destroyed, businesses in ruin with no hope of income for several months, if not longer, and the laying off of thousands of employees by UTMB and destroyed businesses the City must focus on its residents and businesses.

Galveston recovered from the 1900 storm and will recover again thanks to those who love this island.

I understand your frustrations, but my understanding is it's not just FEMA or insurance folks who are occupying the available hotel space, but the people whose homes are uninhabitable right now.

The reality is that Galveston was dealt a mighty blow which they are working incredibly hard and as quickly as possible to recover from, but things will not be as we knew them for the immediate future. In order for Galveston to recover, the folks who live on the island, run businesses, provide support services, and are doing the reconstruction work need a place to stay. I think those of us who aren't dealing with the stress of trying to rebuild our homes, businesses, and lives need to be understanding and approach a trip to Galveston with the knowledge that things won't be the same for a while.

That said, there are hotel rooms available in Galveston. It seems like most of the hotels on the Seawall are in full swing and are happy to take reservations. Right now that's a good location to be, since the restaurants and other services on the Seawall are also open.

I do feel for the people of Galveston---we love Galveston! But every hotel that I have contacted for this particular weekend have their prices doubled from what they normally are. I call this price gouging!

I do feel for the people of Galveston---we love Galveston! But every hotel that I have contacted for this particular weekend have their prices doubled from what they normally are. I call this price gouging!

It happens to be Biker Rally Weekend. Just like Mardi Gras in New Orleans and other huge events rates go up on an overnight stay as hotels require a minimum 3 or 4 night stay.

This event is usually held the end of October, but was postponed due to the storm. It draws 250,000+ people.

Try to get a room in New Orleans for one night during Mardi Gras at the regular rate even of you are not going for Mardi Gras.

You may call it price gouging, but it is normal for a large event in any city in the world.

It happens to be Biker Rally Weekend. Just like Mardi Gras in New Orleans and other huge events rates go up on an overnight stay as hotels require a minimum 3 or 4 night stay.

This event is usually held the end of October, but was postponed due to the storm. It draws 250,000+ people.

Try to get a room in New Orleans for one night during Mardi Gras at the regular rate even of you are not going for Mardi Gras.

You may call it price gouging, but it is normal for a large event in any city in the world.

I'm very well aware of what weekend it is. This is why I feel that Baymont cancelled my reservations. My original reservations were priced at 79.95 per night, so they cancelled me off knowing that they couldn't make any $$ and booked to bikers that would have to pay the outlandish rates.

Just returned from spending five days - including Thanksgiving - in a rental beach house in Beachside Village on West Galveston Island. The weather was terrific, the water was clearer than I had ever seen it, and the house was beautiful. There were thirteen of us, including five children, and we all had a wonderful time. We spent the better part of one morning cleaning the beach in front of our beach house and felt good doing something for the area.

Some of the areas of Galveston, such as the Strand, just make you want to cry, but the people there are working so hard to get back to "normal" and are so appreciative of visitors. Please, anyone who possibly make it, try to attend the Dickens on the Strand celebration. These brave and hard working people need to see us coming to their city again and enjoying ourselves - and leave a bit of $$$ before you head home.

I'm very well aware of what weekend it is. This is why I feel that Baymont cancelled my reservations. My original reservations were priced at 79.95 per night, so they cancelled me off knowing that they couldn't make any $$ and booked to bikers that would have to pay the outlandish rates.

FEMA has probably locked up alot of rooms for the homeless, displaced, what ever you want to call them. This will be called a temporary arrangement, but, three years from now FEMA will still be paying out millions a month to feed and house some folks who just won't help themselves. We still get news reports locally about FEMA folks still living in motels in the Mobile area in the aftermath of Katrina. Three years later they are getting 3 meals a day delivered to their rooms and their rent covered by FEMA. I would bet this is the more likely scenario about your reservations being cancelled. We are contractors to HUD and we still have folks living RENT FREE in gov't owned foreclosed homes THREE freakin years after Katrina. Only a few have moved on and made any effort to try to get on with their lives.

Archived