Galveston Recovery

It is not necessary to go to State Park.

First it may not be open anyway.

After driving around alot it appears to me ......

east beach and far west beach are being used by campers and tenters all the time without interference. There may be rules, but appears not enforced right now. I can check again when i am driving around.

It was an absolutely beautiful day here.

50-60 degrees and crispy and sunny.

Sun was warm.

Sky crystal clear, no clouds, beach water green and clear,

beach water calm and waves light to none.

Beaches are clean and pretty.

Could see as far as eye could see.

While eating dinner watched cruise ship clear jetties,

and sail into sunset of Gulf of Mexico.

Wishing I was with the cruise.

I will be on MSC-TA in December though....

and we are counting the days.:D

Galveston, yes Im very much aware of San Luis being much nicer. We had my son booked there for his honeymoon night, while we and many others that I have to pay for were gonna be in the "cheap seats". :D Besides, I really didnt want us all to be in the same hotel, but they will be in a much better room than us, so I guess he will never know we are there. :rolleyes: Im hoping she is gonna be able to get us some decent rates!

Your weather forcast sounds wonderful! I hope to have one just like it in February! This past Feb when we cruised out of Galveston, was a BEAUTIFUL warm sunny day, and then, right before we were to sail...the FOG rolled in!!! So, we were about 3 hours late sailing. But, we still had fun! Fog was really bad this past winter...hope its not this bad this coming winter! Dot

Really good info on this thread...

Last I talked to the Baymont (we have reservations for Dec 13) they told me as long as FEMA and Ins people are there our reservations are useless. I will call again tomorrow to see how the progress is. We can drive down on the morning of the cruise with no problem.

Cruiseloverandagent...good to see your still active.

Later

Jim & Kathy

I dont know why Gavleston.com doesnt have anything listed about Gaidos..or they didnt the last time I looked, but Gaidos is OPEN in the evenings...not sure about doing the day yet. But it wont be long Im sure, if not. They have a back room FULL of clothes for people that need. I have some things to take down, but not sure when I will be able to go now. Dot

Really good info on this thread...

Last I talked to the Baymont (we have reservations for Dec 13) they told me as long as FEMA and Ins people are there our reservations are useless. I will call again tomorrow to see how the progress is. We can drive down on the morning of the cruise with no problem.

Cruiseloverandagent...good to see your still active.

Later

Jim & Kathy

We have/had reservations with Baymont for the 12 & 13th. They keep telling us the same thing. We've pretty much given up and will go ahead and stay in the Clear Lake area. We are driving in from Kansas and I don't want to take the chance of not having a reservation when we arrive in Galveston.

I dont know why Gavleston.com doesnt have anything listed about Gaidos..or they didnt the last time I looked, but Gaidos is OPEN in the evenings...not sure about doing the day yet. But it wont be long Im sure, if not. They have a back room FULL of clothes for people that need. I have some things to take down, but not sure when I will be able to go now. Dot

Yes open for Dinner!

We have/had reservations with Baymont for the 12 & 13th. They keep telling us the same thing. We've pretty much given up and will go ahead and stay in the Clear Lake area. We are driving in from Kansas and I don't want to take the chance of not having a reservation when we arrive in Galveston.

Good to see you on here and that your sailing on the Conquest on the 14th. You need to join our thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=726801&page=50

I'll repost later about the reservations.

Later

Jim

Good to see you on here and that your sailing on the Conquest on the 14th. You need to join our thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=726801&page=50

I'll repost later about the reservations.

Later

Jim

Actually, we are on the Voyager. We were on the Conquest last year and it is a lovely ship. Enjoy your cruise!

Actually, we are on the Voyager. We were on the Conquest last year and it is a lovely ship. Enjoy your cruise!

We sailed on the Voyager last April. Had a wonderful time although we miissed Costa Maya and just had an extra sea day. I'm sure y'all will have a great time.

Never made contact with the Baymont today... will try again tomorrow.

Later

Jim

F.Y.I.

I contacted the Baymont this morning...I was told that the people are still there and to call back on the Th. At this time all rooms are still full. I have a feeling that I will cancel my reservation and book a parking spot with E-Z park and drive down on the Sunday morning. By doing this I will save the motel and taxi fees.

Maybe next time things will be back to normal as I really like the ease of the day before drive and sightseeing before the cruise.

Later

Jim

For those looking for something to do in Galveston

on these dates before and/or after cruises.

see galveston.com for more details

Have fun and help Galveston rebuild! :D

Festival of Lights:

http://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/event3293/

Dickens on the Strand

http://www.galveston.com/dickensonthestrand/

Lone Star Bike Rally

http://www.galveston.com/calendarofevents/event3249/

Have fun AND help Galveston rebuild!

We drove down to Galveston today. Our first stop was downtown near the Cruise Port and the Strand. There was a lot of construction and rebuilding going on at Harbor House and Willie G’s. Willie G’s was being painted inside, and they had a sign up that they were hiring, so they’re probably getting pretty close to re-opening. Joe’s and Fisherman’s Wharf looked much more heavily damaged…Joe’s is boarded up, and Fisherman’s Wharf appeared to have been demoed, but it didn’t look like construction had started yet. It seemed like it would be quite a while before either of those two restaurants would be ready to open. Starbucks across the street from the cruise terminals looked close to opening, but they were still closed.

We walked over to the Strand…except for the workers, it was like a ghost town.:( Lots of buildings still didn’t have power. Sadly, we were talking to one store owner who thinks quite a few people may not re-open. Considering the extent of the flooding and damage, the clean-up to this point is quite remarkable, but it’s also very sobering and very unlike what most of us think of when we think about Galveston.

We drove down to the end of the island on Harborside. I thought the area around UTMB was pretty bleak…there’s just a lot of clean up and reconstruction to be done before they can begin to return to normal.

Things looked a bit better along the Seawall where they had wind damage but escaped the flooding that happened on the bay side of the island. Most of that damage was what you would expect to see 10 weeks after a major hurricane…roof repairs, missing siding, and still lots of debris, but many restaurants and businesses are open so the Seawall didn’t have the ghost town feel that downtown had. The Flagship Hotel looked to be in pretty bad shape, and of course the piers are gone. I was surprised at how much sand there was along the seawall. It's like the wall had the effect of helping to build the beach, since the sand seemed to wash up there and then stop because of the wall.

After lunch we drove over by Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, and the Lone Star Flight Museum. It looked like they also suffered a lot of damage. I found the flight museum to be especially sad, because my dad used to love to visit there when he came to Texas.

I’ll post a few pictures once I get them downloaded.

Looking towards the Strand from the entrance to the cruise terminals. The traffic lights still aren't working along much of Harborside.

2917282820064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

Between Harborside and the Strand. Look at all the electrical damage!:(

2065654750064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking towards Pier 21 from the Strand

2087909300064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

Joe's Crab Shack

2649789520064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived