Galveston Recovery

This is definitely the year from some awe inspiring weather on the island.

the snow is really beautiful.

Maybe we will see you this Sunday! Well, the news of boarding times are flying about what with a letter that went out from RCCL to all TAs informing them of a Coast Guard inspection that would delay boarding till 2 PM. Do you possibly have any information on this. We get conflicting reports calling in to RCL and the parking sites in town think it is not any different than usual.

Do you work the Diamond passenger area? We "should" be boarding through there.

See y'all Sunday!

don

I don't really know anything about the CG inspection, other than it delays the ship drastically. The parking people aren't a very good source since they don't know what goes on in the terminal as the ship could empty quickly and we can get most people inside and they would never know anything was different from any other day. Each inspection is different and it depends on a lot of factors. With so many new agents and everyone working out the kinks for the day, it's going to busy enough as it is and then the added inspection.

I don't work the priority area, I'm one of the pier coordinators.

Well, the terminal is ready to go! Just gotta put up some signs and chairs and we'll be rockin' for the (early) arrival. We've been there all day setting up.

CG inspection is going to be nothing. Everythings been planned out.

You JUST made my day Gal! Thanks!:D

You JUST made my day Gal! Thanks!:D

Mine too!

One question: Does RCCL frown on loading cardboard boxes? I was thinking of securing my diet ginger ale in an Office Depot cardboard box. Thanks for all your support and information.

Well, the terminal is ready to go! Just gotta put up some signs and chairs and we'll be rockin' for the (early) arrival. We've been there all day setting up.

Hi Erica!

It sounds like you're ready for Sunday! Since I'm an early riser I plan to turn on some webcams in the morning before I get ready for the football game. Yay! Voyager will be back tomorrow!

I hope everything goes great for you and Jeff tomorrow in your new jobs!:)

Well, drat! What's with the Harbor House webcams freezing up at 5:29pm today just when the Voyager is suppose to depart? I am really disappointed since I was away when she arrived this morning. Did anyone get to see either her arrival or departure today?

Erica, how did embarkation go today? What news do you have for us about the Voyager?

Just 21 short days until our Voyager cruise! :D

Patti

Debarkation was pretty good since there was no customs as it was done in FL. CG inspection took forever, but we started boarding at 1:40. It was the typical first day glitches.

The only news I have about the ship is still a surprise, but only for you p2lockhart (and your roll call). *I have to book it still*

The only news I have about the ship is still a surprise, but only for you p2lockhart (and your roll call). *I have to book it still*

Erica, are you cruising with us?!!! :D That would be too cool! You know how to find our roll call, so please check in with us with the scoop!

Patti

I hope that means you guys are going to get a vacation! You sure deserve one after living through Ike!

Now, that doesn't mean I'm not a little envious!:o I still have to wait three months!

Hi cruiseloverandagent!

Can you tell me how early we can begin to board? We have never sailed from Galveston before. In Florida we usually arrive about 11:30 and on board by 12:00. In the Windjammer and then our rooms by 1:00 PM. Is 11:30 too early to arrive at the port or should we wait until 1:00 PM? I know the paperwork says 1:00 PM.

Thanks

There are no hotels either near the Cruise Terminal in Houston.

There are many hotels within 2 to 5 minutes of the Cruise Terminal in Galveston....

I am just curious about your first statement about the Houston cruise terminal and hotels in the area. The Clear Lake/NASA area is about 10 miles away with a large number of hotels and restaurants as well as shopping. Night life is abundant including my favorite brew pub. All of it is open as it did not take the hit as bad as Galveston on the barrier island. Kemah is six miles away which I am hearing has started back up and is recovering. We always enjoyed visiting the board walk at Kemah. We have found the hotels particularly and restaurants to be more reasonable priced than Galveston and usually stay there before our cruises out of Galveston. The short 30 mile drive on I45 to Galveston is very quick on a Sunday morning.

After being told on Dec 4th that our Jan 3 reservations were still good, I got a call on Saturday that Harbor House would not be open until Jan 15th now due to delays with the contractors. They said that they could put us up at the Galvez instead but for $209 for one night on Jan 3rd, plus $14 to park for the week.

Patti

From what I saw Sunday the 21st...slowly but steady. Lot of trash still around...some of the older houses near the docks really took a hit as well as some business from about 35th east to where Seawall meets Broadway (?)( IH 45), also 61st just off IH 45 where the bay is...lots of damage.

Galveston was not nearly as ready as everyone wanted to admit although a lot of effort has been made.

Debarkation was pretty good since there was no customs as it was done in FL. CG inspection took forever, but we started boarding at 1:40. It was the typical first day glitches.

I was on the Voyager sailing(Dec.14th) and except for the wait to board, check-in was smooth for us. RCL brought out cookies and punch, so that was nice to have.

Erica, I saw you, but you were so busy, I didn't want to interrupt you.

One of my highlights of the day, was that Host Kat was my check-in agent! She was so sweet!! :)

You are most welcome!

Glad to be of service' date='

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif120103_emA60_prv.gif

After seeing so many people, I had left my boarding card pass at your desk and you found me and gave it to me! Now that is service!! Thanks again, Kat! It was a pleasure meeting you! :)

After being told on Dec 4th that our Jan 3 reservations were still good, I got a call on Saturday that Harbor House would not be open until Jan 15th now due to delays with the contractors. They said that they could put us up at the Galvez instead but for $209 for one night on Jan 3rd, plus $14 to park for the week.

Patti

I got a call about a week ago from Wyndham that my Jan 3rd HH reservations would not be honored because of delays due to the contractor. They said HH would not be up and running until Jan 15th. I was offered a room at the Galvez at an increased rate.

Patti

Does anyone know if the Flagship has reopened? I think I had better call them to make sure that we still have a room there and that the rates haven't doubled.

I plan to stay for 2 days before my cruise and do lots of eating and shopping and talking to the people in Galveston and hear their stories. I truly love Galveston and hope that all the cruisers do whatever is possible to assist all the friendly folks there.

vannoy and shell

Does anyone know if the Flagship has reopened?...

So far, it does not appear on Business Openings for Galveston County List.

Click here: http://www.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=893f4a7591113e1e

The last time I was by there, the driveway ramp from the hotel to the seawall was still gone. Ike "ate" it.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived