Galveston Recovery

We were in Galveston last Sunday for a funeral and thought I would share our observations. The funeral was at Trinity. I am not sure how long the church has been reopened since the hurricane. The walls had visible water damage on the inside and the stained glass windows in the santuary were covered with what looked like 2 huge metal doors. It did not smell damp or moldy, thank goodness. There was a reception following the service at the building that looks like a huge gazebo not far away. It appeared to be in excellent shape.

Our friend who died and her husband had been living in a condo at the San Luis Hotel since the hurricane. There house had 3 + feet of water in it from the hurricane. At least she got to return to her beloved Galveston and see the Gulf her last few days.

Some friends of ours stayed at Moody Gardens. I did not ask about the rate they paid. They had a hard time finding a room, though.

While we were there we went by the Harbor House to check our reservations for Jan 3rd, which we made last May. I have been unable to get anyone to answer the HH phone so far. There were only about 3 cars in the parking lot about 4:30 pm and there was a uniformed guard on duty outside in front of the lobby. He told us that HH was closed and no one was there. There was a sign there that said HH planned to reopen December 2008. This puzzled me since I had read that HH was housing workers, etc. But it appeared to be locked up.

The 3 restaurants nearby were also closed- Joe's Crab Shack, Willie G's and Fishermans Warf. There appeared to be work going on in that Greek restaurant that was being built on the main floor of the HH.

Hope this info helps someone.

Patti

While we were there we went by the Harbor House to check our reservations for Jan 3rd, which we made last May. I have been unable to get anyone to answer the HH phone so far. There were only about 3 cars in the parking lot about 4:30 pm and there was a uniformed guard on duty outside in front of the lobby. He told us that HH was closed and no one was there. There was a sign there that said HH planned to reopen December 2008. This puzzled me since I had read that HH was housing workers, etc. But it appeared to be locked up.

The 3 restaurants nearby were also closed- Joe's Crab Shack, Willie G's and Fishermans Warf. There appeared to be work going on in that Greek restaurant that was being built on the main floor of the HH.

Hope this info helps someone.

Patti

When I was helping my mom with Galveston hotel arrangements the other day we talked to someone in reservations for Harbor House, Galvez, and Tremont. We specifically asked about HH, and were told they are hoping to re-open in January.

Cindy:

Let us join the others with thanking you for your photos of a Galveston still under re-construction. The work is long and tedious, and not all will make it. If we keep supporting the good people of Galveston, we will all have this vacation spot to travel to. My wife and I will be on the December 14th sailing of Carnival Conquest, and will travel Saturday from Dallas to Houston. We will leave Houston early Sunday morning, the day of our cruise, to drive Galveston, and hopefully see more progress.

Thanks for all of your work and your sharing.

Bob and Donna

Best Western on Seawall is open and taking reservations. I called yesterday to re-confirm our Jan.10 reservations for 3 rooms. All was OK.

We had rooms reserved at the Best Western for Dec 6th & 7th...reservations we made last Feb...and they called us a couple weeks ago and told us they would not honor them...said to find someplace else..so I'd be a little leary about what they are saying...maybe by January they will be ok :)

Best Western called today to say our reservations will not be honored! That was a quick about face. Hampton Inn's web site shows N/A for our date of Jan. 10. Baymont is not available. I did get Holiday Inn Beachfront with cruise parking, but for almost double what we had at Best Western. I thought I read somewhere that recently someone stayed at Gaido's Seaside motel, but the web site shows N/A. Anyone know if they are open? I know the restaurant is.

I stayed at the Guidos Motel (Seaside Inn) a month ago. We had reservations in LaPort , and it was a "fluke" that my mom called the restaurant to see if we could eat lunch at Casey's on Saturday before our Sun cruise. She found out that they had a room available at the MOST reasonable rate. We had a very pleasant stay. The room was more than adequate.

You should give them a call!

When I was helping my mom with Galveston hotel arrangements the other day we talked to someone in reservations for Harbor House, Galvez, and Tremont. We specifically asked about HH, and were told they are hoping to re-open in January.

I had a message on my answering machine saying that the Harbor House was calling to confirm my Jan 3rd reservation and for me to call back at (409) 765-7721. I called back after 8 this evening and the lady who answered was at the Galvez. She said that the reservations supervisor for the Tremont had called me and to call back tomorrow morning. I told her that I had seen a sign at the HH saying they were reopening in December '08 and she said that they had hoped to, but that it would be January for HH and at least May for Tremont. I will let you know what I find out when I call back tomorrow.

Patti

I had a message on my answering machine saying that the Harbor House was calling to confirm my Jan 3rd reservation and for me to call back at (409) 765-7721. I called back after 8 this evening and the lady who answered was at the Galvez. She said that the reservations supervisor for the Tremont had called me and to call back tomorrow morning. I told her that I had seen a sign at the HH saying they were reopening in December '08 and she said that they had hoped to, but that it would be January for HH and at least May for Tremont. I will let you know what I find out when I call back tomorrow.

Patti

I just spoke with Joyce the reservations supervisor for Harbor House who did confirm our reservation for one night on Saturday, January 3rd. I asked about the restaurants and she said that Fishermans Warf is scheduled to be open by then.

Patti

I understand your frustrations, but my understanding is it's not just FEMA or insurance folks who are occupying the available hotel space, but the people whose homes are uninhabitable right now.

The reality is that Galveston was dealt a mighty blow which they are working incredibly hard and as quickly as possible to recover from, but things will not be as we knew them for the immediate future. In order for Galveston to recover, the folks who live on the island, run businesses, provide support services, and are doing the reconstruction work need a place to stay. I think those of us who aren't dealing with the stress of trying to rebuild our homes, businesses, and lives need to be understanding and approach a trip to Galveston with the knowledge that things won't be the same for a while.

I went by Baymont Inn today, they are filled with families who are living there because there is no place else for them to go. They will be there until at least Christmas time when their extensions are up.

I know this throws a kink in vacation plans, but as someone who spent weeks calling hotels in the area in October trying to find a place to live, my total sympathy goes to those people as I know they would be living in the "tent city" just outside town if they were thrown out so the tourists could have a place to stay.

I know how those people feel. I know what it's like to have only what fit in the back of your vehicle in terms of possessions. I know what it's like to be living someplace other than home. I know how scary it is when you are forced to find someplace else to live...again. I know how grateful I felt when I had a place with a bed and a fridge. Jeff and I were very fortunate to have found an apartment, but it was by sure dumb luck and even that has a price to pay as we don't have any furniture.

I realize that these hotels are making money (rooms are rented at the government rates), but it is no different, if not better than landlords suddenly charging $2000 a month for an 800 square foot apartment that on September 10th was renting at $900. Heck, the hotels could probably make more money with the tourist industry as the supply/demand for rooms is really down and people will pay a premium for rooms. Instead, they are locked into a government rate.

I didn't mean to rant and I'm not looking for sympathy, it's just a really different perspective when you're at ground zero. I have always been conflicted with the decision for the cruise ships to return so quickly as much of the support systems (hotels/rental cars etc.) isn't ready yet.

Erica...

Maybe, just maybe the cruise ships should have stayed away for at least 6 months. Also the big deal about everything is opening up, is it just a smoke screen trying to get people back (but with no place available although open)?

Look if the the city isn't ready...don't tell us it is. I'm for one was wanting to come back and spend a day before our cruise but that has been thrown out the door. If the communications and honesty would have been there and not the "keep call back" answer we always got, I probably wouldn't be as disappointed as I am.

The final deal is, we're not spending anytime in Galveston, we're not spending any money in Galveston, we're not eating out or buying fuel in Galveston. It's no different than if the Cruise Ships stayed in Houston.

I'm glad to see that your safe and we may see ya on check in day...OOPS, No your on RCCL and we're on Carnival this time.

Later

Jim

Erica...

Maybe, just maybe the cruise ships should have stayed away for at least 6 months. Also the big deal about everything is opening up, is it just a smoke screen trying to get people back (but with no place available although open)?

Look if the the city isn't ready...don't tell us it is. I'm for one was wanting to come back and spend a day before our cruise but that has been thrown out the door. If the communications and honesty would have been there and not the "keep call back" answer we always got, I probably wouldn't be as disappointed as I am.

The final deal is, we're not spending anytime in Galveston, we're not spending any money in Galveston, we're not eating out or buying fuel in Galveston. It's no different than if the Cruise Ships stayed in Houston.

I'm glad to see that your safe and we may see ya on check in day...OOPS, No your on RCCL and we're on Carnival this time.

Later

Jim

There are no hotels either near the Cruise Terminal in Houston.

There are many hotels within 2 to 5 minutes of the Cruise Terminal in Galveston.

Your words:

“communications and honesty”

“Greed”

are unacceptable!!!!

Your feelings of disappointment are understandable.

But to blame Galveston, the people here as a whole,

for the actions of an owner or a manager of one hotel is inexcusable.

WE ARE A PEOPLE IN A SURVIVAL MODE.

THE CITY IS NOT AN IMPERSONABLE FORCE.

EVERYONE HERE HAS A HORRIBLE STORY !!

EVEN YOU!

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE VICTIM OF THE HURRICANE ALONG WITH US.

I PERCEIVE YOUR PERCEPTIONS ARE WRONG!:(

Willie G's just opened last night.

Some stores on Strand will open this weekend.

Dickens on The Strand is this Weekend.

Fishermans Wharf and Rudy and Pacos are open this month.

Mosquito Cafe will open first week in January.

Most everthing is open along the Seawall.

There are many things to do in Galveston.

Make your own fun and the most of Lone star Rally!

Flight Museum is open

Moody Gardens is open.

Come and enjoy.

We would personally welcome you, but we will be on our own cruise.

We will enjoy the cruise.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

And come back to Galveston soon.

See, I can totally see why you would be ticked about that, I probably would be too. In fact, I was ticked when our apartment complex did the same thing to us about finding us a different unit, so I have no problem with you being mad and I agree that the hotel should have been more honest with you. I just have a hard time swallowing that they are price gouging, especially for bike week, when they are clearly filled to the brim with families. It is a very surreal moment to watch the buses go by all the hotels and drop busloads of kids off.

I've learned the hard way that part of this new Galveston life is an increased fluidity about planning. FEMA has these arbitrary cutoffs for support and aid (which very few people have gotten, only around 14% in October) so these hotels don't know when the hotel will actually open up. FEMA was supposed to stop with hotel vouchers last month, but they have since extended it to Dec. 12th and it will likely be extended further as there is not any other available housing that will take FEMA housing vouchers.

We are staying in a lovely 1886 home that survived both the 1900 and 2008 hurricanes.

Current rate to stay 3 nights before your cruise and 4 nights after, like we are doing, is around $1035 all fees/taxes included, which may be negotiable. Home appears available starting in January.

Lovely lovely home with Christmas decorations and Christmas tree. Brand new kitchen with some food and utensils to cook, refinished floors. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, living room with Dish with DVR, den, dining room. Large new playground for the kids across the street. Walking distance to the Seawall, and The Strand. And WiFi!

We are enjoying Galveston so far.

http://www.vrbo.com/185345

--

whyohwhyoh

An absolutely beautiful Chamber of Commerce day!

Sunshine, no clouds, crisp and clean air, 60 degrees.

Gulf of Mexico is calm, water green and clear.

Beach is clean and beautiful.

Dickens on the Strand is underway.

Strand Street is cleaned up wonderfully,

and there are a few shops that have opened.

Craft vendors, food vendors and attractions with stages

and entertainers are there.

And most of the attendees are in Victorian Costumes,

along with Queen Victoria, the Town Crier, and her quests.

Parades, Actual Weddings, Confederacy Reenactments,

Best dressed contests, etc are occurring.

The Elisa Tall Ship and the Maritime Museum are open.

We attended a Dickens Feast last night with full course dinner with a reading of Charles Dickens - A Christmas Story being read between servings. The event was sold out

and most were in Victorian Dress and Costume(even the men).

It was fun festive affair with some Pomp and Circumstance.

A good time was had by all.

see Galveston.com/webcams/

My wife and I are booked on Voyager in January. This will be our 4th cruise out of Galveston. We live in Austin, so we usually leave in the early morning and drive 4 hours to Galveston and get there about the time the ship starts boarding. We don't need a place to stay. However, we usually like to park the car and spend an hour or so on the Strand before we board. This time we intend to make an effort to spend a little time on the Strand and maybe buy 1 or 2 things at a store along with a snack or lunch. If most cruise passengers would do something similar before they board, I think it would help Galveston's situation at least somewhat.

Archived